• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Help my pokemon white team please!

Years
  • Seen Apr 2, 2011
Hey guys. I've found a few pokemon that I really like in this set, and was wondering if it were possible to get them to work together. I am not limiting myself only to Gen 5 pokemon. I have historically favored UU over OU, due to the greater variability both you and your opponent can have while team building, but as tiers are not solid yet, am just testing the waters with a few ideas. I also love using pokemon that have immunities for switching into, but this is a little different. Here's what I have so far:

Sawsbuck - Sapsipper
Impish
Focus Sash
Swords Dance - Agility - Baton Pass - Horn Leech
252 HP / 140 Def / 116 Spe

A quick, boosting lead. Horn Leech is only there for Taunt protection, although Taunt most likely would force a switch (depending on number of boosts). If a focus sash save is coming, 1st turn Agility to the pass. If he can survive two hits, Swords after Agility to the pass. This guy is mainly to set up my choice banders. I've considered the self-boost offensive set, but I'm not sure if he is too frail to be successful. EVs are from smogon, no point in trying to boost both defense stats.

Darmanitan
Adamant
Choice Band
Flare Blitz - Rock Slide - Superpower - Earthquake
252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe

Has a useable speed, but prefers an Agility from Sawsbuck. After an Agility, has great coverage to Flare Blitz sweep a few guys. Are there many walls that wont get 2HKO by locked Flare Blitz? If so, I could easily change CB to Life Orb, though with Flare Blitz he will not last too long. Obviously needs Rapid Spin support, but unsure of which pkmn to add in for it.

Terrakion
Adamant
Choice Band
Jolly
Close Combat / Stone Edge / X-Scissor / Earthquake
4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe

A second recipient of Sawsbuck's boost(s). With a Jolly nature and a higher base speed than Darm, this guy can do fine on his own even without an Agility. If I were to use Life Orb instead of CB, I could use Quick Attack in the 4th slot, which could be a nice surprise, although he is quite fast...

Galvantula
Timid
Life Orb
Thunder - Bug Buzz - Volt Switch - HP Fire/Ice
4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe

Love the addition of Volt Switch to this gen, although this build may be lacking in coverage. Energy Ball instead of Volt Switch helps, but is it worth sacrificing? HP Fire/Ice will probably be chosen depending on which is more needed in my final team build.

Overall: I like the idea of a Sawsbuck lead, but could it break too easily? As stated above, I am looking for someone to fill in a slot as Rapid Spin support. Also, are my (so far) two recipients of boosts too redundant?
crazy pokemon I have looked at / liked: Serperior, Samurott, Carracosta, Durant, Swampert, Shuckle.

As an addition to the team, and would benefit from an Agility boost could easily be wargle. A doubled speed would bring its 80 base to a number usable for some strong STAB'd move sweeping action. Here's the jist:

wargle
Adamant
Life Orb
Return - Brave Bird - Superpower - Shadow Claw

First two are a given, Superpower for Rock and Steel Types, and Shadow Claw for those ghosties. Rockslide can be used with his Encourage ability to help against crazy birds, but I'm not sure if thats needed post boost(s).

Thoughts?

Last edited by a moderator:

Vrai

can you feel my heart?
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Oct 24, 2022
My biggest advice is that you should not center your team on receiving Agility boosts from Sawsbuck. Sawsbuck is frail. It will die to a lot of things. It is weak to the most common priority (Mach Punch). Plus, it doesn't really have any way to stop common phazers in Hippowdon (yeah, Wood Horn isn't really going to get through that massive defense) and Skarmory. Once Sawsbuck dies, then what happens? Do you just roll over and give up? Things that have any kind of speed but especially things like Excadrill annihilate you because you simply can't live their hits and outspeed them. Yeah, Baton Passing speed boosts is a really cool thing if you can get it off, but there are too many potential problems for a team to actually be based entirely around them and etc. My advice? Rework your team a little bit. Rely less on Sawsbuck Agility-passes and more on making each individual member of your team more solid and able to deal with more threats. Hopefully, eventually, you won't have to rely on Sawsbuck at all and simply have a very solid team that's able to deal with the metagame.

tl;dr Agility-passing is nice, but not really very effective.

Soul_Silver_pkmnbreeder

Pokemon Breeder
Years
  • Seen Apr 20, 2011
My biggest advice is that you should not center your team on receiving Agility boosts from Sawsbuck. Sawsbuck is frail.
Well said. I have sort of the same issue, except mine is with a Shell Smashing Smeargle. ...Did NOT relize the triple S until now. Anyway, the point is that your Pokemon shouldn't absolutely rely on another for their boosts if you want them. Try giving your others a bag of trickity tricks too.

Back