• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Tool: ddrox13's Regional Pokedex Type Balance Tool (and examples!)

ddrox13

Anti-Nonsense
Years
juliorain said the rom hackers might have a use for this too so I should post it in both places

Have you ever wanted to make a custom Pokédex for your Fangame/Hack? Considering you're in this section, I assume the answer is yes.

This is a tool to help visualize the distribution of types (and stats!) of Pokémon in your custom dex.

Just typing in the Pokemon's names, and let google sheets figure out and keep track of types. Probably useless but I figured I'd share it anyway. I just like playing with Excel.

Most Recent Version (1.2, 2/20/19):
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Qj1hziAkj9j7nhiA3t7lcmsk3zPD59sRlozX3uM6Lcc/edit?usp=sharing

Simply make a copy into your own Google Drive or download as an Excel spreadsheet (though I can't confirm my fancy colours will work on Excel), and type in the names of the Pokemon in your dex in the appropriate column. The types will automatically appear in the next two columns and be counted in the list. They don't have to be in order, so don't worry about the numbers. As you go, the count and the table on that sheet will be live updated with the number of Pokemon of each type in your region.

If you have Fakemon in your dex, you can add them to the database the type search function pulls from by adding them to the bottom of the "Ref" tab, which is on the bottom left of GSheets/Excel. Once the Fakemon and their types are in the database, they can be added to your dex the same way as any other Pokemon.

Just remember - the graph's axes scale automatically, so the bigger the average of the bars is the better balance you have!

Features and stuff:
Spoiler:

Here's the link again if you missed it the first time

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Qj1hziAkj9j7nhiA3t7lcmsk3zPD59sRlozX3uM6Lcc/edit?usp=sharing

As some examples....
Here is the chart it makes for most of the main series regional dexes! And some commentary.

Spoiler:

If you have any questions about the tool or suggestions for it, feel free to post them here! I'd also love to see your fangame dex distributions - so feel free to post those here as well (just use a spoiler tag or something to save space).

CHANGELOG AND LEGACY VERSIONS

Spoiler:

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Nov 24, 2023
This is brilliant! Wish I'd had this for my dex before I spent all that time making up my own spreadsheet haha. Might actually just delete mine and use yours instead as it looks so much tidier and has more detail, plus that chart is so handy. It must have taken you ages to make. Thanks a lot for sharing it! <3

ddrox13

Anti-Nonsense
Years
I updated the links in the OP to now go to...

version 1.2 - The stats update

This update adds average stats! That said, it is a little less user pretty, as I moved the Table onto a new tab to save space (though I can move it back if you want).

Also the stats feature is a house of cards that has significant breakage potential but that's okay, right? Also don't ask what happened to 1.1

If you prefer the old (as in, yesterday) look and don't want stats, feel free to use 1.0 - it's in the legacy versions spoiler

Prof. Leon Dias

Let your memes be dreams
Years
This is awesome!
I used to take a month or two devising a whole spreadsheet and doing mathematical calculations in order to arrive at a balance (that wasn't really perfect, just inoffensive) for so long.
Your resource pretty much dramatically cuts down all of that time if I were to make any hacks!

Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Apr 17, 2024
I'm using this thing myself, and so I had made some updates and changes. If it's alright with ddrox13, I'm going to share my work here:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vT2OBqL21cqH8f6lTdDBBxStn3WYw8pqAW9mHTa1cuufFwiwfAP6F3wrOFQ8I5NG1J7tj7VxKv6N5OG/pubhtml

1.5 Changelog:
All Pokémon up to Gen8 (dlc 1), including regional forms.
All changes up to Gen8 (Aegislash has 140/140 stats for example).
All alternative forms with stat or form change (Mega Evolution and Arceus are all here, stuff like Unown is not).
Icons for every Pokémon and form (Thanks to Serebii).
The main dex list will change color based on how strong each stat is.
Other touch-ups to the main dex list too, to make it look more pleasing.
Each Pokémon now have the generation they're from, and what type/name of form they are.
New "Stat Balance" and "Generation Balance" sheets added.
Probably a couple other things I'm forgetting, since I did 99% of all this 2 months ago.

Years
  • Age 19
  • Seen Nov 24, 2023
I'm using this thing myself, and so I had made some updates and changes. If it's alright with ddrox13, I'm going to share my work here:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vT2OBqL21cqH8f6lTdDBBxStn3WYw8pqAW9mHTa1cuufFwiwfAP6F3wrOFQ8I5NG1J7tj7VxKv6N5OG/pubhtml

1.5 Changelog:
All Pokémon up to Gen8 (dlc 1), including regional forms.
All changes up to Gen8 (Aegislash has 140/140 stats for example).
All alternative forms with stat or form change (Mega Evolution and Arceus are all here, stuff like Unown is not).
Icons for every Pokémon and form (Thanks to Serebii).
The main dex list will change color based on how strong each stat is.
Other touch-ups to the main dex list too, to make it look more pleasing.
Each Pokémon now have the generation they're from, and what type/name of form they are.
New "Stat Balance" and "Generation Balance" sheets added.
Probably a couple other things I'm forgetting, since I did 99% of all this 2 months ago.

I want to use this, but can you make it link sharing rather than publishing it to the web (because I have no idea how to make a copy out of a sheets that was published to the web. )

Snowka85

literally a ferret
Years
  • Age 23
  • Seen Mar 15, 2023
I get an error when I add Talonflame to my regional dex entry list ("Invalid: Input cannot contain 'Talonflame'"), and I think custom species break the type percentage page. I haven't changed anything about the type percentage page so I'm not sure what's up? The type balance tab throws a "divide by zero" error even though all Pokemon on my Dex Entry tab have their data filled out completely.

Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Apr 17, 2024
I have updated my version of the doc again with the latest set of Pokémon. Here's the updated version for everyone to use (with a new link that works): https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...ZCrdR_U_e8gsr2jMPBswqzyrm7E/edit?usp=drivesdk

Changelog:
1.6:
- Added the 2nd dlc Pokémon for Sword/Shield.
- The default list includes all the Pokémon included in gen3.
1.7:
- Added the new Pokémon for Legend Arceus
- All formes now use the names as presented on Smogon.

Back