• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

2012 Survivor's Party @ Drakow's House

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ivysaur

Grass dinosaur extraordinaire
Years
Well I don't know of anybody here who takes their shoes off when visiting someone, and in fact it's usually more polite for the homeowner to get their shoes on if someone is visiting them :P Although, when I'm alone, I prefer using slippers.

Oryx

CoquettishCat
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jan 30, 2015
I always thought of it as polite to leave your shoes on in someone's house, because who wants to see your guests' nasty-ass feet?

Kanto_Johto

Never glimpse the truth
Years
At the moment I'm keeping my shoes on at all times in this house. Last week my flatmates and I discovered that we have a hairy little friend who barges into the kitchen and eats whatever crumbs or other dusty crap it can find. The rat poison we bought doesn't even work so we had to have someone come over today and lay some proper stuff down. We've also seen it running around on the kitchen counters. It's terrifying.

Cherrim

PSA: Blossom Shower theme is BACK ♥
Years
@_@ I don't get the shoes thing either. Why would you want to wear shoes all over someone's house? Even if you don't have muddy shoes, you step on so many gross things over the course of one day. I wouldn't want that tracked all over my carpets or floor! I'd much rather have bare feet! At least I know they've just been in a shoe all day.

Though socks are the way to go regardless. :P

Years
How is it more polite to keep them on? O_O

I would be rather annoyed if someone came into my house and didn't take their shoes off or ask if they should; thought that was common courtesy? :/​

Cherrim

Years
I agree so much. I can't stand being in shoes indoors unless I've designated those shoes as "indoor shoes" that are only worn inside.
Exactly! My slippers have soles like shoes so I could wear them outside if I wanted but I won't even go in the garage while wearing them because I don't want to track dust or dirt back inside. :( Unless I forgot something and have to run back inside in a hurry without taking my shoes off, I never wear shoes around the house for the same reason.

Oryx

CoquettishCat
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jan 30, 2015
Must be a non-US thing. That one friend is literally the only person I've seen who's asked people to take their shoes off. It's always been taught to me as polite to leave them on and when not given any direction most people I've been with that go into a stranger's house leave them on, lol.

Cherrim

Years
:/ In the northern states when I visit family friends, they always have their shoes off and it's expected of us too. Maybe it varies by state as well?

Synerjee

[font=Itim]Atra du evarinya ono varda.[/font]
Years
I don't like people wearing their shoes in my house, especially when their shoes are muddy. It may be tradition for Asian families (such as mine) to remove our shoes, but I think Caucasian families seem to have different ways of life. Well, I think one way to solve this problem is to stick up a huge as sign asking them to remove their shoes before entering the house.

Years
I actually forgot it was bonfire night. XD

I got back and there were loads of fireworks going off; took me a couple of minutes to realise that it was bonfire night.

Taxi for Fabio!​

Kura

twitter.com/puccarts
Years
I didn't even know about this "holiday" until like.. last night. >_> Didn't know why there were fireworks at all!

And yeah.. I'm the same as Lightning and Synerjee basically, in regards to shoe etiquette hahaha :3

Ice Car

Banned
Years
@_@ I don't get the shoes thing either. Why would you want to wear shoes all over someone's house? Even if you don't have muddy shoes, you step on so many gross things over the course of one day. I wouldn't want that tracked all over my carpets or floor! I'd much rather have bare feet! At least I know they've just been in a shoe all day.

Though socks are the way to go regardless. :P

I know, but various media seems to make it seem like it's abnormal NOT too. Just one example is Family Guy. Do they EVER take off their shoes when they go into houses? Nope. Maybe I'm just not paying attention to people's feet of all things in shows but I don't see people doing it that often in shows either.

Cherrim

Years
I know, but various media seems to make it seem like it's abnormal NOT too. Just one example is Family Guy. Do they EVER take off their shoes when they go into houses? Nope. Maybe I'm just not paying attention to people's feet of all things in shows but I don't see people doing it that often in shows either.
Well, I'm pretty sure they don't splurge on animation for Family Guy so minor actions like that just wouldn't even be on their radar. :P I'd say sitcoms and the like would be a better marker of it but they'd probably cut those scenes anyway even if they did make it in since putting shoes on and taking them off is really boring to watch.
To be fair, we did talk about it yesterday and it got dragged on to talk about shoes after that XD;
It's not really celebrated outside of GB anyway, right? :P The only reason I know it's even vaguely a thing is because of that movie that came out. Not that I've even seen that, haha.

Oryx

CoquettishCat
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jan 30, 2015
Yeah in the US the extent of it is making a Facebook status usually, and maybe a group viewing of the movie. No one cares much beyond that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back