The PokéCommunity Forums Pokémon: Play Together Challenges
Luck-locke challenge

Challenges Play your Pokémon games in fresh new ways: anything from The Monotype Challenge to the popular Nuzlocke.

Old August 13th, 2017 (5:41 AM).

Nature: Calm
    Finally completed the challenge! On FireRed, my final team ended up being:

And of note: I caught my first legit shiny! A caterpie, just before heading out to victory road. Sadly, didn't take long after evolving into a Butterfree before she was replaced.

Lots of fun, I haven't used a legendary before, or ditto, so that was interesting.

I think I'm going to complete the post game content, finish the pokedex, and then see what team I end up with and try to beat the E4 again!

Relevant Advertising!

Old August 13th, 2017 (9:00 AM). Edited August 14th, 2017 by InfinityLight.
    Infinite Number of Pigdeys

Nature: Sassy
      Name: InfinityLight (infinity)
      Game: Pokemon Moon ll Trials (0/8) Grand Trials (0/4) = (0/11) ll Elite Four (0/4) and Champion (0/1)

Extra Rules: Playing Sun and Moon might give someone an advantage, as in Sun and Moon there is only 7 trials, while other games are stuck with 8 gyms. So I'll retire a pokemon after the fight with Lusamine.

Pokemon Alpha Sapphire Shiny Badge Quest (1/8)
      Pokemon Omega Ruby Smeargle Only Team Challenge (1/8)

Completed Challenges
      None Yet

Old August 13th, 2017 (7:59 PM).

Nature: Modest
        Quote:
        Originally Posted by InfinityLight View Post
        Name: InfinityLight (infinity)
        Game: Pokemon Moon (0/8) (0/4) (0/1)

Extra Rules: Playing Sun and Moon might give someone an advantage, as in Sun and Moon there is only 7 trials, while other games are stuck with 8 gyms. So I'll retire a pokemon after the fight with Lusamine.
        Hey, just to make you aware, you also retire a pokemon after all 4 kahuna's. So that's 11 guarenteed retiree's iirc.
        RANDOM POKEMON CHALLENGE- POKEMON SILVER- 8/16
        POKEMON MONOSIZE CHALLENGE- XL- POKEMON X-2/8
        THE 802 Challenge- Pokemon Leafgreen-4/8
        POKEMON DARWIN CHALLENGE-Plants & Fungi- Platinum-1/8
        POKEMON CRAZY CLAUSE CHALLENGE- D&D Classes-
        Fire Red
        Old 4 Weeks Ago (3:52 AM). Edited 4 Weeks Ago by SubVirus.

This challenge sounds like fun, I'm going to sign up :)
          Name: SubVirus
          Game: Alpha Sapphire

Edit1 the journey begins. Couldn't pick my starter so I rolled for it. 1,2 treekco, 3,4 torchic, 5,6 mudkip, rolled a 3.
          Onwards BurntChicken the male Lv5
          Edit2 caught a Stewart the female Lv5Poochyena because I always name tutorial Pokemon stewart). It knows ice fang so it's a keeper. I'm boxing Pickup the zigzagoon though... no pickup=not keeping. Caught Pickup2 female Lv2 zigzagoon with pickup shortly after.
          Caught RickyBobbyJR the male Lv3 wurmple (because who wouldn't)
          Caught GreenZorro the male Lv5 Lotad
          Caught Skipper the female Lv5 Surskit. Never used this pokemon, we'll see how it goes :)
          RickyBobbyJR evolved into a Cascoon after defeating the trainer with Tailow (shake and bake); Cascoon is the preferred of the 2 random evolutions from wurmple.
          RickyBobbyJR evolved into a Dustox.
          Got the Stone badge. GreenZorro absorbed and bubbled his way to victory. I happened to find someone who recreated the scene with BurntChicken for me here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PPWMPyyveSU
          I always order my pokemon by lowest level goes out first and sorted by level then hp.
          So the numbers i'm rolling on are 1 Skipper (10), 2 Pickup2 (10), 3 RickyBobbyJR (10), 4 Stewart (11), 5 BurntChicken (11), and 6 GreenZorro (12)
          Rolled a 6... Rip GreenZorro
          Out of my 5 boxed pokemon I'll be replacing GreenZorro with Twirly a male Lv3 Ralts (only knows growl *sigh*)
          The Team:
          Spoiler:
          Progress: [||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||]
          Old 3 Weeks Ago (5:05 AM). Edited 3 Weeks Ago by Disturb Not The Harmony.

Disturb Not The Harmony - Blue

Okay, let me give this a try. Just finished a Nuzlocke, so it will be kind of fun to let Pokemon get KOed all over the place. As a mild handicap, I'll limit myself to one Pokemon from each area. All rolls will be done with Random.org.

Spoiler:

Took IronTurt the Squirtle.
            Caught MadGopher the NidoranM on Route 22.
            Lingered in Viridian Forest to get SlimeBorg the Pikachu. A bit of a stretch, but Dragon Warrior lacks cutesy electric mice.
            IronTurt solos Brock.

Roster: IronTurt |MadGopher | SlimeBorg (Roll 1d3: 2)
            Okay, bye-bye, MadGopher the L9 NidoranM!

Snag Watabou the Clefairy in Mt. Moon and BullBird the Spearow on Route 4.

Accidentally lost to Cerulean Rival due to several unlucky crits from him and accidentally throwing a PokeBall at him rather than using a Potion. Oops. Well, quickly corrected.

I then collect, above Cerulean, Rosevine the Bellsprout and Metaly the Abra... ahem. Metaly the Abra... Metaly the Abra...... Metaly the Abra...... METALY THE ABRA...

Ahem! That catch went just fine and I don't know why anyone's staring at me funny. Next. In other news, grinding went great!

A combination of SlimeBorg and Rosevine takes down Misty.

Roster: SlimeBorg | Watabou | IronTurt | Metaly | Rosevine | BullBird
            (Roll 1d6: 2... again? Huh.)
            Okay, bye-bye, Watabou the L14 Clefairy!

Metaly evolves on the way to Vermillion. I grab MudDoll the Diglett, then go through the ritual motions up to Lt. Surge.

Roster: MudDoll | Metaly | SlimeBorg | BullBird | IronTurt | Rosevine
            (Roll 1d6: 1)
            Jeez. Okay, bye-bye, MudDoll the L24 Diglett! You served me very well during your short stay on the team.

I was terrified I'd lose my Cut user, so this could be worse. I throw Almiraj the Drowzee on my team to compensate. BullBird evolves on the way to Rock Tunnel. The Tunnel itself is uneventful, largely being rushed by IronTurt. I go immediately to Erika because I want to find out what I'm losing before I spend any of the Rocket Hideout or Pokemon Tower EXP dumps.

Roster: BullBird | SlimeBorg | Metaly | Almiraj | Rosevine | IronTurt
            (Roll 1d6: 1? Seriously? Confound it.)
            Goodbye, BullBird the L25 Fearow. I was HOPING you would stay for Fly purposes, but I suppose we all must part ways. You served me very well indeed.

I fill its slot with MadCat the Eevee. Along the way, Almiraj learns Confusion and actually becomes viable.

Pokemon Tower goes well, so it's now time to grab Snorlax and roll for whomever I kick off the team. Perhaps I should have skipped MadCat... eh, I have two Psychics on the team, I'm set for life.

Roster: Almiraj | Rosevine | Metaly | SlimeBorg | IronTurt | MadCat
            (Roll 1d6: 6)
            Huh, so much for Eevee. I wasn't expecting that, but okay. That works.

Much as I love Pikachu, it's becoming nonviable, stat-wise, and pre-Yellow Pikachu has a horrible natural movepool. So it gets a Thunderstone, and away it goes.

Hilariously underleveled (all Pokemon < L30), I hobble through the Fuchsia Gym using status, which is painfully pleasant to use after a Nuzlocke which forbid status moves. And then I swept Koga with Metaly, who is a L31 Kadabra, until he courteously blew up his own Weezing.

Roster: Metaly | Almiraj | Rosevine | SlimeBorg | IronTurt | Mudou
            (Roll 1d6: 4)
            WELL I'M GLAD I GOT SOME USE OUT OF SLIMEBORG THEN. Farewell, SlimeBorg; I was just really beginning to enjoy using a Pikachu in a run. :(

Sadly, SlimeBorg was the most replaceable, since any Electric-type can be mimicked by a Pokemon with Thunderbolt. Still... ouch. I catch DarkHorn the Nidorina from Safari Zone to compensate. At L33, she is actually the strongest Pokemon on my team.

Seriously, I forgot how badly leveling went on a 6-Pokemon team. Might have to start running the No EXP circuit for high-level mons.

I then proceeded to solo Blaine with Wartortle (it evolved after the battle) and then, because he felt this was too dignified for him, he KOed it so he could gracefully have his L47 Arcanine KOed by a L28 Hypno. Blaine continues to be the single most pathetic Gym Leader in Gen 1, and that includes Brock. At least Brock is excruciatingly painful for No EXP and/or Normal Monotype runs.

Roster: IronTurt | Rosevine | Metaly | Almiraj | Mudou | DarkHorn
            (Roll 1d6: 2)
            Really? Farewell, Rosevine. You were a fair Weepinbell, and it was fun having you on the team. If only you learned Razor Leaf earlier, you could have been truly formidable.

...I now have no Cut user. However, it CAN be learned by -

Wait, how does TENTACRUEL use Cut? I really don't want to know. Nonetheless... I can work with this...

*several Max Repels later* Okay, I now have KingSquid the L41 Tentacruel, courtesy of Rare Candy. That works. It's E4 viable, as I know from long experience. It is also DEFINITELY the highest-level Pokemon on my team, by about eight levels.

Huh, I wonder if it would make things more interesting to consider Giovanni a force-swap point. Nah. At any rate, as you might imagine, Silph Co. was nothing to write home about. Double Psychics, woo.

Almiraj sweeps Sabrina.
            Roster: Almiraj | Metaly | IronTurt | Mudou | DarkHorn | KingSquid
            (Roll 1d6: 3)
            Farewell, buddy. You were the best Blastoise anyone could wish for. Well - I've had more amazing ones, but that had to do with TMs.
            Enjoy your retirement, buddy. IronTurt the L38 Blastoise departs the team.

Out of sheer frustration, I finally get WhipBird the Aerodactyl and enjoy my all-expense-paid flight. KingSquid and Metaly then demolish the Viridian Gym.

Roster: KingSquid | Metaly | Mudou | Almiraj | DarkHorn | WhipBird
            (Roll 1d6: 1)
            ...I swear Random.org is actually biased toward 1.
            Farewell, KingSquid the L43 Tentacruel. You were very good, as usual, and now I need to go grab a spare Water-type.

Because "balanced typing" is for games that have weird ideas like "legitimate Psychic weaknesses", we round off the cast with Mirudraas the L38 Slowbro. Yes, those are available in the wild in Seafoam Island. It takes a lot of Max Repels, though.

Me, after having half my team wiped by Alakazam: Oh, wait, I have that one Pokemon who's the Gen 1 hard counter to Alakazam in my team, right?
            *one Hypno later*
            Yeah, so the game's pretty simple from here on out, aside from my awful level deficits. (What's L40? Is that what grinders see?) Specifically, 38/39/39/33/30/35. Oh well - half of them are Psychics. It's doable.

Okay, well. Lorelei. Pop quiz! L37 Snorlax or Elite Four member? L37 Snorlax (and two Hyper Potions), of course! Though now Mudou is L38. Gen 1 Amnesia is ridiculous.

Okay, a softball! Bruno or an L39 Kadabra! That's easy, of course. It's now an L41 Kadabra.

Agatha or Hypno? Yeah, Hypno.

L58 Gyarados or L38 Snorlax? Most of Lance's roster or an L39 Slowbro? Yes, you guessed it - my Pokemon. Hail Hyper Potions. All 12 or so of them. It was a long battle, put it that way.

And... ouch, ouch, ouch. I'm really glad this wasn't a Nuzlocke. I ended up having to KO Gyarados with Mirudraas and handle Arcanine and Venusaur with Almiraj. Nonetheless - run complete.

Mudou L39 Snorlax
            Surf | Amnesia | Thunderbolt | Strength
            permitted me to get past Lance with nonsense strats

Mirudraas L41 Slowbro
            Surf | Headbutt | Water Gun | Blizzard
            permitted me to get past Lance's actual Dragons; would have been 10x better with Thunder Wave or Amnesia, but I legitimately forgot that part of Gen 1 because I was rushing

Almiraj L43 Hypno
            Confusion | Hypnosis | Headbutt | Psychic
            I forgot to teach it Dream Eater... which would have helped...
            In all seriousness, it carried the team through a good chunk of the game. Hypno is ludicrously good in Gen 1. Underappreciated because it doesn't have the Abra line's speed and raw power, but if it can lock anything into Sleep, its only limitations are its PP. Oh, and it can hit Alakazam on its weak Defense while resisting the Psychics thrown its way. Ridiculously good, always go for it.

DarkHorn L33 Nidoqueen
            Bite | Poison Sting | Tail Whip | Surf
            If I'd been forced out of Psychics, this would have been good. Stayed neglected instead, though it did provide a sacrificial turn for healing Almiraj in the Champion fight.

WhipBird L30 Aerodactyl
            Wing Attack | Agility | Fly
            Obvious run MVP, saved my sanity from repeatedly walking back and forth through Diglett's Cave. In seriousness, never saw use, but Fly was more than enough use. Plus, how can you dislike Aerodactyl?

Metaly L42 Kadabra
            Psybeam | Teleport | Recover | Psychic
            Took 5 times to get one. But it did pay off. Could have carried the team if I'd lost any other good Pokemon, but would have required a bit more leveling.

Retirees:

Let's salute MadGopher, Watabou, MudDoll, BullBird, MadCat, SlimeBorg, Rosevine, IronTurt, and KingSquid for giving up their places on the team for the sake of the run!
            Completed Challenges: Zodiac Challenge (Red) | Time Warp Challenge (Blue: Jurassic Jam | Stone Age | Egyptian Era) | Solo Challenge (Blue: Blastoise | Red: Nidoking | Raticate) | Body Type Challenge: Quadrupedal (Blue) | Anime Style Challenge (Gold) | Randomized Nuzlocke (Blue) | Mono-Pokemon Challenge (Red: Gengar x3) | No Move Left Behind Challenge (Red) | Gender Fairness Challenge (Gold) | Champion Challenge Master (Blue | Gold)
            Old 3 Weeks Ago (2:25 AM). Edited 3 Weeks Ago by SubVirus.

Caught Stefanie the Lvl8 Nincada
              Caught WingmanJon the Lvl3 Tailow
              Caught Kris the Lvl5 Slakoth
              Caught Lvl5 Wingull that I forgot to nickname
              Caught Sunny the Lvl8 Skitty
              Caught Terri the Lvl10 Whismur
              Sailed to Dewford town and beat the gym only using Twirly and RickyBobbyJR. (piece of cake)
              I always order my pokemon by lowest level goes out first and sorted by level then hp.
              So the numbers i'm rolling on are 1 Twirly (13), 2 Stewart (14), 3 RickyBobbyJR (14), 4 Skipper (14), 5 Pickup2 (14), and 6 BurntChicken (15)
              Rolled a 6, RIP BurntChicken...
              Added Stefanie to the team.
              The Team:
              Spoiler:

Retired:
              Spoiler:
              Progress: [||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||]
              Old 1 Week Ago (8:45 PM).

Disturb Not The Harmony - Red

Since this is a random challenge, I think I'll do it again, this time with Red. After all, my chances of getting the same Pokemon again are BEYOND low.

This time, I'm using a fake word generator for more interesting names.

Spoiler:

* Got Luezoid the Squirtle and Chesture the NidoranF. Skipped the Pikachu this time because Pikachus take far too long to catch in the Forest.

Luezoid | Chesture (Roll 1d2: 2)
                So long, Chesture the L9 NidoranF!

* Got Feandra the Spearow and Boaclick the Clefairy on the way to Cerulean.
                * Beat Cerulean Rival with no troubles.
                * Yammoe the Oddish and Mofoblitz the Abra get brought in above Cerulean.
                * Since I need to have two spaces for my Vermillion catches, I challenge Misty and steamroll her with Yanmoe and Luezoid.

Yanmoe | Boaclick | Luezoid | Mofoblitz | Feandra (Roll 1d5: 1)
                Farewell, Yanmoe the L15 Oddish! I was expecting to have you for longer...

* Get Xanpon the Diglett and Singlewave the Drowzee around Vermillion.
                * As a side note, part of the reason why I prefer Gen 1 is that the various AI/strategy/overpowered-Pokemon exploits make it easier to run with an underleveled team.
                * And now...
                Uh.
                I have no Cut users.
                NOW WELCOMING DUX THE FARFETCH'D. Technically, I didn't have a full team
                when I got him, so I don't need to give up anyone! :U
                * Surge goes down easily to Xanpon.

Xanpon | Luezoid | Mofoblitz | Singlewave | Boaclick | DUX (Roll 1d6: 5)
                Boaclick the L16 Clefairy departs the party! Wow, Clefairies and Nidorans have terrible luck in this challenge. Pity, because I actually like those lines.

* Rock Tunnel occurs without incident. Run off to get Roplixoo the Eevee and check out Erika. In other news, Gen 1 Wrap is an abominable move.

Singlewave | Luezoid | DUX | Mofoblitz | Xanpon | Roplixoo (Roll 1d6: 2)
                Goodbye, Luezoid the L31 Wartortle.
                ...oh dear. I was overleveling that.
                Why do starters have such bad luck in this run? I guess it's because they're there from ground zero, but still...

On the other hand, I don't really need Water-types until Cinnabar, and Snorlax can sub in until then. That works. I just need to get Snorlax
                first.

* Clear Pokemon Tower and get Losenoid the Snorlax.
                * Did in Koga. Amusingly, DUX got all the EXP from Weezing because I used it as a kamikaze Sand-Attacker, switched it out when it didn't die, then wound up with Weezing blowing up on Xanpon.

Xanpon | DUX | Singlewave | Mofoblitz | Roplixoo | Losenoid (Roll 1d6: 3)
                WOW. Goodbye, Singlewave the L28 Hypno.
                ...I'm actually really excited about this because Hypno was an endgame Pokemon last time. See - variance!

* Rowlow the Nidorino (*cough* Nidoking *cough*) added in Safari.
                * Okay, I have two more forced replacements. Tentacruel and Slowbro are THE best catches available, considering the EXP issues.
                * Blaine goes down readily to Dig spam.

Xanpon | Roplixoo | Mofoblitz | DUX | Losenoid | Rowlow (Roll 1d6: 5)
                Farewell, Losenoid the L30 Snorlax.

Oof. The loss of Snorlax is not easy.
                * Get Sertave the L40 Tentacool via Max Repelling around Cinnabar and immediately toss a Rare Candy its way. If I can keep it, Lance will be trivalized by horrible AI.
                * Beat tar out of Giovanni at Silph with a L33 Nidoking. The bosses in Gen 1 are something... special.
                * Sabrina was mostly handled by Xanpon.

Rowlow | Roplixoo | Sertave | Xanpon | Mofoblitz | DUX (Roll 1d6: 3)

*sigh* Farewell, Sertave the L41 Tentacruel. I'll use you in some run.
                Also, it's direly amusing me that DUX is apparently invincible.
                * Meanwhile, the Slowbro I get from Seafoam Islands is randomly given the name of Jeebus. OUR BRO AND SAVIOR
                * WHO SOLOED GIOVANNI
                * AND PROMPTLY DIED FOR THE SINS OF THE RUN *HEADDESK*
                (Jeebus | Rowlow | Xanpon | Mofoblitz | DUX | Roplixoo - rolled 1)

...that is not good in an way at all. I at least still have Mofoblitz and Xanpon, who can largely carry, but dang. There went both my high-level catches.
                On the bright side, I can start dumping TMs on Pokemon now that I know they won't get kicked the second I clear a Gym.
                And I have an actual Flyer, which helps.

* Noodile the Haunter obtained from Pokemon Tower. It ends up defeating Route 22 Rival's Venusaur without grinding, because... Gen 1.
                * Moment of truth: the loadouts.

Rowlow the Nidoking receives Ice Beam and Earthquake in addition to Surf and Strength.
                Roplixoo the Jolteon gets Thunderbolt.
                Noodile the Haunter obtains Mega Drain.

We start with L38 Jolteon | L40 Kadabra | L40 Dugtrio | L38 Nidoking | L30 DUX | L28 Haunter.
                Let's see if this is doable.

Elite Four
                * Lorelei goes down fairly quickly to Thunderbolt spam. One Hyper Potion used.
                * Bruno doesn't even do damage.
                * Agatha is actually tricky, but - oh, *I* know what happened with Golbat refusing to kill Dugtrio. Haze is Ice-type! That's an AI exploit! Yeah, I exploited that playing a ROMhack once. Anyway, she took one Hyper and several Flute plays.
                * Lance went out of control on Aerodactyl, swept my team up to Haunter, and...

...oh my gosh.
                I just learned something.
                I FALSELY thought Lance had Rock Slide and/or Wing Attack on Aerodactyl. NO. It turns out he doesn't get coverage until YELLOW.
                Wow. I just took out Aerodactyl with a L28 Haunter.
                BEST LAST-MINUTE TEAM MEMBER EVER

5 Revives, 5 Hyper Potions used.

* Rival:
                ** Pidgeot, as usual, is a failure.
                ** Locked down Alakazam by sacrificing Roplixoo and DUX, and beat it unconscious with Nidoking.
                ** Rhydon is also a failure.
                ** Gyarados was a brief Revive circus (x2) to get back to Roplixoo.
                ** Arcanine took two Hypers for Rowlow, but otherwise uneventful.
                ** Venusaur went down in two Psychics.

9 Hypers, 7 Revives. Forgot I had Rare Candies, but they weren't necessary.

Roplixoo the L41 Jolteon
                Thunderbolt | Sand-Attack | Thundershock | Sand-Attack
                handled Lorelei, trivalized Gyaradoses

Mofoblitz the L42 Kadabra
                Psybeam | Teleport | Psychic | Recover
                incredibly, goofily overpowered

Rowlow the L40 Nidoking
                Surf | Ice Beam | Earthquake | Strength
                A fantastic bro who came in strong despite coming in late

Xanpon the L42 Dugtrio
                Dig | Rock Slide | Slash | Sand-Attack
                Basically carried through a good portion of the game. Dugtrio is just silly in Gen 1.

DUX the L30 DUX
                Fly | Swords Dance | Sand-Attack | Cut
                Tragically was rather useful. DUX is not great, but having a Flyer all run did more for my sanity than can be imagined.

Noodile the L29 Haunter
                Confuse Ray | Hypnosis | Night Shade | Mega Drain
                Saved the team from a wipe. Haunter is ridiculously good in Gen 1. In all gens, really, but the nonexistence of the Dark type does a lot to make Haunter invincible in situations where it really shouldn't be.

Retirees:

Let's salute Chesture, Yanmoe, Boaclick, Luezoid, Singlewave, Losenoid, Sertave, and Jeebus for giving up their places on the team for the sake of the run!
                Completed Challenges: Zodiac Challenge (Red) | Time Warp Challenge (Blue: Jurassic Jam | Stone Age | Egyptian Era) | Solo Challenge (Blue: Blastoise | Red: Nidoking | Raticate) | Body Type Challenge: Quadrupedal (Blue) | Anime Style Challenge (Gold) | Randomized Nuzlocke (Blue) | Mono-Pokemon Challenge (Red: Gengar x3) | No Move Left Behind Challenge (Red) | Gender Fairness Challenge (Gold) | Champion Challenge Master (Blue | Gold)

Quick Reply