• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Dawn in the Sonic universe?

Swampoleongaurdian

Team Galactic Member
Years
I have this plan in my head for a fanfic crossover of sonic the hedgehog and pokemon.

Summary:
One day, Dawn is thrust into a different dimension where Animals walk and talk. Now Dawn has to find a way home, but she just might find that difficult, especially since she's been turned into an anthromophic rabbit! With her pokemon and her new friends by her side, can she make home?

"I'm Sonic! Sonic the hedgehog!"

Okay, so basically Dawn ends up in sonic's universe as Dawn the Rabbit™(search Dawn the rabbit on deviantart.com) and meets Sonic & friends. Eggman gets interested and tries to take over the pokemon world to build the Eggman Empire.

Waffles?

Last edited:

JX Valentine

Your aquatic overlord
Years
Personally, I recommend not using someone else's fan concept unless you have permission to do so. Some people actually get pissed off if you do that, and dA tends to have a lot of drama queens. (Not saying that all dAers are like that. Just saying you never know who's on there.)

If it is your concept, then it'd be an interesting crossover -- one that isn't normally explored, at least. Not to mention the "oh, hey, there's another world here... SO I'M GOING TO TRY TO TAKE IT OVER" kind of villain concept is always fun.

JX Valentine

Your aquatic overlord
Years
Dawn the rabbit, though, is not exactly my idea, it's technically *SonicAngel948's idea and he's a deviantart member.

This is what I mean. (I wasn't referring to the general concept. Just the idea of, "This is the story of Dawn the Rabbit, who was created by this other member." Or, "I'm borrowing what's technically someone else's fan character and using them for my work," for lack of a more tactful way to put it. I apologize if there was any confusion in the matter.) If something was produced by another member, you may not want to use it because that may piss some people off unless you actually got permission to use it. Saying that you got the idea from someone else is tricky business. Some people are okay with you linking to their image and saying, "I was inspired to do this because of this image." Others want to be asked first. (Some of the ones that don't get a lot of comments, for example. I know a few dAers who are like that. Or, were, before they left the site/went inactive.) It's always best to be on the safe side and actually ask them, get a response, and then use it or just not use it at all.

Last edited:

JX Valentine

Your aquatic overlord
Years
I got the idea from the guy's drawing, but I'm not a dAer so I can't ask

Last I checked, dA profiles have contact information listed on them unless the person in question set their information to private or didn't provide it in the first place. Moreover, it's not like it's all that difficult to sign up for a dA account. I've got a sock dA account myself to post comments and view mature material, and that one was created last year. So, yes, there are people on dA who have accounts but don't use them for posting actual stuff. That and I know it takes about five minutes to sign up for an account on dA if you can't find the kid's e-mail address.

...Which, incidentally, is in fact on there, under "Devious Info."

but one thing, do you see him doing a fanfic. ;) ( :o

And that's relevant... how? =/

Just because someone hasn't done fanfiction about the OC concepts they've portrayed through fanart doesn't necessarily mean their ideas are free to use. It's just courtesy to give them a heads up, really, in case they happen to be one of those kinds of dA'ers. (I personally don't know from looking at her profile.)

But, if you really want to know, why, yes, I do see her writing fanfiction. Coincidentally, her largest one is a Sonic/Pokémon crossover about Ash being warped to Mobius.

Swampoleongaurdian

Team Galactic Member
Years
Edit button in the bottom right-hand corner of your post. Deleting a thread, however, will require help from a mod.

What about your posts? Hmm?

BZuma said:
Idea.... eggman could be and evil Exeggcute XD

No Dr. Exeggcuteman, just Dawn becoming a rabbit person, And apparently she looks different than the picture I got the idea.

Last edited:

bobandbill

one more time
Years
Lolwut? You want to delete Valentine's posts? No can do. For the record you can only edit and delete your own posts.

*throws support behind what Valentine said on asking for permission and the such before doing something, as he wants to say something relevant to the topic as well; at least a bit*

If you want advice - first ask permission as it's what you *should* do in such cases, is all I'm going to say for now =|

Last edited:

JX Valentine

Your aquatic overlord
Years

So, basically, you want to delete the part where I said not only was it easy to get in contact with this artist, but she also already wrote fanfiction about basically what you want to write? Nice.

Please refrain from incorrect language

I don't know about anyone else here, but I read over bobandbill's post. He wasn't swearing at you or using incorrect language.

Please Just give me advice on my idea.

We did. We told you to go get permission for using someone else's fan concept (the fan character) before doing it. If you don't, we may do it for you, and we probably will just give her the heads up that someone is using her fan character without her permission, given that that's basically what you originally said you're doing. It all depends on how you react to anyone who offers you advice that isn't just "add this to the plot" the way that other person was doing. After all, you just accused a mod of using inappropriate language towards you, deleted your posts, "asked me nicely" to delete my posts (probably because you didn't like what I was saying, given it was advice... to avoid drama and to do things properly), have been generally snarky towards me, and, in the end, blew us (bobandbill and me) both off.

Edit: In other words, neither of us said it would be a bad idea to do. We just said it would be a bad idea to do if you didn't get permission to use the fan character you were borrowing from someone else. Credit just isn't enough when it comes to stuff you found on dA. As I've said before, people on dA can get pissed off over that sort of thing, and you'll end up with drama that you really would rather avoid. (Unless you're some kind of serious masochist.)

Last edited:

TTYO

Old Timer
Years
Hello there, I think you should avoid the copyright of Dawn the Rabbit. I would suggest you start thinking how the story works out. Here are some suggestions.

Why would Dawn turn into an animal?
I would recommend you leave her as human and she might see the Sonic characters as Pokemon and tried to catch them.

You might also want to explain how she get into Sonic's World and how she can get back.... maybe something long the lines of the Sonic X anime show where Sonic get warped into modern times.

Best of Luck.

Swampoleongaurdian

Team Galactic Member
Years
explaining time

I might as well forget about this thread and make another version of it. :(

Can you give me advice that is not about copyrights, because how Dawn looks when she is turned Sonic character is a bit different than Sonicangel948's picture, bigger ears, white tail hidden under skirt, white on the end of the ears, yeah, that's it.

I'll explain the turned animal part in the story, let's just say it has something to do with injury.

Last edited:

JX Valentine

Your aquatic overlord
Years
Can you give me advice that is not about copyrights, because how Dawn looks when she is turned Sonic character is a bit different than Sonicangel948's picture, bigger ears, white tail hidden under skirt, white on the end of the ears, yeah, that's it

First off, you might want to keep going with design changes for pretty much the reason TTYO said: avoiding even mentioning Sonicangel or the copyright she technically has over her design. (dA usually includes a disclaimer about that somewhere on their art page.)

After this point, the rest will simply be rambling thought that may or may not help you. Sorry.

The Dawn = animal idea is cool, and I really can't think of any other animal that she could possibly be besides a rabbit (not only because of Buneary but also because rabbits are usually portrayed as cute, fuzzy, and hyper). On the other hand, it would be difficult for her to control her Pokémon, if they happened to be with her. (After all, Buneary would probably see her pretty much as a blue Buneary.) I'm not sure if it's a wise idea to keep her as a human, though, considering that's actually been done. Perhaps have her Pokémon either remain in the Pokémon world or outside of their balls as equals? Considering all of the anthro animals in Sonic can talk, I wonder if Pokémon would be able to as well -- and if so, Dawn's would probably end up more as equal partners and companions than servants to Dawn herself, considering they'd end up as creatures that can put in their two cents whenever they please.

In other words, think a bit about what role Dawn's Pokémon will actually serve here, keeping in mind the way Sonic's kind fight and live their lives. (This will also probably involve some kind of reaction from Sonic and the group if they find out Dawn keeps other animals as servants, considering it's like leading another man along by a chain and telling him to do stuff for you. It's probably not going to be a particularly pleasant image.)

As for the question of how Dawn got into that universe (brought up by TTYO as well), it's a big one, of course, considering you're going to be having Dawn find a way back and Eggman searching for a way into the other world, so I'm assuming you already have that in mind and are toying with ideas to make that work. Your best bet is probably looking for something magical either way, considering whatever did it turned Dawn into an animal (despite the fact that there's humans in Sonic's world).

bobandbill

one more time
Years
I might as well forget about this this and make another version of it. :(

Can you give me advice that is not about copyrights, because how Dawn looks when she is turned Sonic character is a bit different than Sonicangel948's picture, bigger ears, white tail hidden under skirt, white on the end of the ears, yeah, that's it
I think you're missing the point here. Just because the fact that Dawn looks different than this pre-existing version of it due to this, that, and this doesn't mean that you're still using the same idea as this 'Sonicangel948'. What difference do bigger ears, and so forth really make to the idea, in the end? None, really. And the fact is, copying such ideas like this without permission from those who had the idea first and had inspired you, and credit, or so forth, borders on, (althogh it more so is) plagiarism, really - and that's basically a no-no. A big one.

Before you do anything else, just go and ask the person already, explaining what you want to do and all. It's not as if this person is necessarily just going to say 'no' - on the contrary; many people don't mind it at all if you ask - but it is an issue if you don't. (Not to mention that plagiarism is against the forum's - and any forum's - rules...).

Apart from that; I don't watch the anime, and nor do I follow any stuff Sonic-wise outside of a few, 'outdated'/older games , so any specific advice I give to you would be useless, as I don't know Dawn as a character, nor much about various 'bunny-characters' or whatnot at all, either. (Nor much on any of the more recent games and canon that's come from those).

But if it's a crossover - you need to do your research in both forms of canon - make sure you know the two of them. Inaccurate information can be a big turn-off to readers. Look at the characters, and how they could possibly react to this situation, the character of Dawn, and so forth - flesh them out, give them motives, and so forth. What about Dawn? How would she react to being turned into a talking rabbit? And what about her Pokemon as well (considering that - and this at least I know - one of her Pokemon is a rabbit)? How will being a rabbit affect her ability to use them? How would the other characters react to Pokemon themselves? That in itself offers a lot to investigate - it all depends on how you go about it, and what you want to happen. You've mentioned that you'll explain how she turns into an anthropomorphic rabbit, which is good, but you'll also have to apply this to...well, everything that could/will affect the story. Remember the characters outside of Dawn, and so forth.

Plotholes as well are another thing to look out for - they are known to crop up in crossovers, since you're applying all of these different mechanics together, from two different universes. The idea can work, certainly - and the key to making it successful is addressing those, to begin with.

And unless you mean 'lolwut' as 'incorrect language' (and frankly it deserves that response if you want to go about deleting what one can call 'evidence' to ask for permission first)... well... I think that comment can be used again here in response to that. -_-

Swampoleongaurdian

Team Galactic Member
Years
Valentine: Thank you for your advice.

bobandbill: You Frustrate me! I'm a fan of both Sonic and Pokemon, so I need no research. Secondly, I'll go ask, but tell me how.

Note: this is video game Sonic, which is on Earth. No mobius.

Ineffable~

DAT SNARKITUDE
Years
I can't see that there's much more to say after Bob and Valentine have been here, but... really, man, just ask SonicAngel948. You're trying to evade this by deleting your own posts (which are already quoted by Valentine) and now you want to change the look just to avoid plagiarism. It's really not hard to ask her. The worst that could happen is that she'll say no. The worst that could happen if you plagiarize is that you'll get in trouble.

And the fact is, copying such ideas like this without permission from those who had the idea first and had inspired you, and credit, or so forth, borders on, (althogh it more so is) plagiarism, really - and that's basically a no-no. A big one.
Not only that, it's illegal.

Last edited:

Swampoleongaurdian

Team Galactic Member
Years
I can't see that there's much more to say after Bob and Valentine have been here, but... really, man, just ask SonicAngel948. You're trying to evade this by deleting your own posts (which are already quoted by Valentine) and now you want to change the look just to avoid plagiarism. It's really not hard to ask her. The worst that could happen is that she'll say no. The worst that could happen if you plagiarize is that you'll get in trouble.

Not only that, it's illegal.

I originally had that look in my mind I didn't make it up just now!

You frustrate me too

JX Valentine

Your aquatic overlord
Years
bobandbill: You Frustrate me! I'm a fan of both Sonic and Pokemon, so I need no research.

Actually, you really should. Every fan should do research into their canon before starting into a fanfiction. Even I do, after having been a fan of Pokémon (and one specific character) for years. Crossovers require it more than anything else because you need to have a serious understanding of both franchises to see where they'd blend and how they'd interact if they came in contact with one another. Research is only to give you a fresh understanding, to remind you of things that you may have forgotten and introduce you to things you might not.

If you want an example, yes, I've been a fan of Bill for years -- since 2001. I've written about him for that long as well. It wasn't until I wrote the eleventh chapter of Anima Ex Machina that I got a new understanding of how he reacts to certain things after I did a little digging for his character and saw different aspects of canon in a new light. Research isn't about teaching you the basics. It's about giving you new ideas about how to handle things. And, well, reminding you of what canon actually is like.

Secondly, I'll go ask, but tell me how.

SonicAngel's e-mail is on her dA profile. Look it up, go all the way down to Devious Info, copy it to a new e-mail, and send her a little question, probably, "Hey, I saw your art, and it's really cool. Would you mind if I used (insert description of ideas here) in my fanfic if I give you credit for it?" Then, wait for a response.

That said, seriously, you've got to learn how to react to people who post in your threads. Just because we're not feeding you ideas or accepting your summary completely doesn't mean you can snap at us by saying "you frustrate me" and whatnot. Sure, it might be what you're feeling, but it's just courtesy that you take all kinds of advice, even if it's not what you want to hear. If you react this way to reviewers, you'll never really improve.

Tip: Go read Reviewing and You. These aren't reviews, sure, but they give you an idea of what we're trying to do, how to be an open-minded author, and why you should be one.

Last edited:

Ineffable~

DAT SNARKITUDE
Years
I originally had that look in my mind I didn't make it up just now!

You frustrate me too
I'm fine with that, but just remember that frustration is no excuse for deliberate ignorance. Once you've handled all this and credited everything, I'll talk about the crossover itself and give you ideas. But for now the plagiarism is really all I can think about.

Back