• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Moveset Help & Other Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mesty

The Joker
Years
So my for sure team right now is Venasuar, Greninja and Blazekin. I'm lost on who to use as my last three. I was thinking Scyther, Golem, Dragonite, Garchomp or Aegislash. Not sure which 3 of those 5 to pick. Maybe even not any of them? Suggestinos would be much appreciated.

Years
  • Age 31
  • PR
  • Seen Sep 16, 2014
What do you guys think of this Zygarde set? All of the sets I've seen usually get outclassed by other pokemon or have very obvious counters. I decided to try something kinda gimmicky, but could work if you predict correctly.

Zygarde
Nature: Careful
EVs: 252 HP- 252 Sp.D
Item:Leftovers
-Camouflage
-Extreme Speed-Glare-Swagger-Toxic
-Dragon Tail
-Coil

This sets uses Camouflage, yes Camouflage. It might seem like a useless move but I think it has potential on Zygarde. If I'm not mistaken during Wifi Battle Camouflage is always affected by a Building environment so Zygarde should always change into Normal type(if this is wrong this set fails lol). Basically what you do is switch Zygarde into something that's not carrying an Ice type move, they switch into something it does to counter Zygarde and during that switch you activate Camouflage. This will completely eliminate your Ice, Dragon and Fairy weakness. With this typing you can safely set up Coil since Zygarde is very bulky and carries leftovers.

With enough Coil boosts, STAB Extreme Speed should be doing some considerable damage. Dragon tail is to get rid of walls and bulky fighting types. You could switch up Glare with Extreme Speed if you want, Fairy Types can wall you though. Swagger is risky, but with the Defense boost from Coil it can work. Toxic is another great option for stalling, but you can't do anything to Klefki and Mawhile.

This set has problems like Toxic users, Brozong, only 5 pp ExSpeed and probably many more. Still this set purpose is to cripple your opponents pokemon so that your main sweepers can finish the job.

Entry hazards really help this pokemon since he's gonna be switching pokemon a lot with Dragon Tail.

I haven't tried this set yet, so is all theory right now. If it ends up working well that's great if it doesn't well Zygarde is probably getting another form :).

Years
Power rangers team gimmick

This is for X and Y. I own Y.

So, In the heat of a much needed sugar rush I had a while ago, I decided on this stupid and probably already done team gimmick, based around the popular 90's TV show Power Rangers.

What I'm asking for are suggestions for pokemon who could make a team like this possible.

The way I'd like for you to do this is as follows.

Pokemon species/ability
Moves
Ranger Color(Nickname)

We'll be using the original series colors, so Red, Blue, Black, Yellow, Pink, Green or White.

(I looked all over for a good place to put this, so if this should be moved tell me.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
What do you guys think of this Zygarde set? All of the sets I've seen usually get outclassed by other pokemon or have very obvious counters. I decided to try something kinda gimmicky, but could work if you predict correctly.

Zygarde
EVs: 252 HP- 252 Sp.D
Item:Leftovers
-Camouflage
-Extreme Speed-Glare-Swagger-Toxic
-Dragon Tail
-Coil

This sets uses Camouflage, yes Camouflage. It might seem like a useless move but I think it has potential on Zygarde. If I'm not mistaken during Wifi Battle Camouflage is always affected by a Building environment so Zygarde should always change into Normal type(if this is wrong this set fails lol). Basically what you do is switch Zygarde into something that's not carrying an Ice type move, they switch into something it does to counter Zygarde and during that switch you activate Camouflage. This will completely eliminate your Ice, Dragon and Fairy weakness. With this typing you can safely set up Coil since Zygarde is very bulky and carries leftovers.

With enough Coil boosts, STAB Extreme Speed should be doing some considerable damage. Dragon tail is to get rid of walls and bulky fighting types. You could switch up Glare with Extreme Speed if you want, Fairy Types can wall you though. Swagger is risky, but with the Defense boost from Coil it can work. Toxic is another great option for stalling, but you can't do anything to Klefki and Mawhile.

This set has problems like Toxic users, Brozong, only 5 pp ExSpeed and probably many more. Still this set purpose is to cripple your opponents pokemon so that your main sweepers can finish the job.

Entry hazards really help this pokemon since he's gonna be switching pokemon a lot with Dragon Tail.

I haven't tried this set yet, so is all theory right now. If it ends up working well that's great if it doesn't well Zygarde is probably getting another form :).
In Wi-Fi battles, Camouflage makes the user a pure Ground Pokemon (in Gen V, not sure about Gen VI), making it pointless as Zygarde is already Dragon/Ground. Coil is better off defensively, not offensively, so I don't see a use for Coil + ExtremeSpeed. Without Attack investment at all, ExtremeSpeed doesn't hit hard enough to justify its use, even after a boost. Zygarde should use Dragon Dance + ExtremeSpeed, a la Rayquaza.:
-Coil
-Dragon Tail
-Earthquake
-Substitute/Haze/Stone Edge
EVs: 252 HP/4 Def/252 SDef
Item: Leftovers

Dragon Dance:
-Dragon Dance
-Outrage
-Earthquake
-ExtremeSpeed
Nature: Jolly
EVs: 100 HP/252 Atk/156 Spe
Item: Lum Berry/Life Orb

Years
  • Age 31
  • PR
  • Seen Sep 16, 2014
In Wi-Fi battles, Camouflage makes the user a pure Ground Pokemon (in Gen V, not sure about Gen VI), making it pointless as Zygarde is already Dragon/Ground. Coil is better off defensively, not offensively, so I don't see a use for Coil + ExtremeSpeed. Without Attack investment at all, ExtremeSpeed doesn't hit hard enough to justify its use, even after a boost. Zygarde should use Dragon Dance + ExtremeSpeed, a la Rayquaza.:
-Coil
-Dragon Tail
-Earthquake
-Substitute/Haze/Stone Edge
EVs: 252 HP/4 Def/252 SDef

Dragon Dance:
-Dragon Dance
-Outrage
-Earthquake
-ExtremeSpeed
Nature: Jolly
EVs: 100 HP/252 Atk/156 Spe
Item: Lum Berry/Life Orb

That's strange, serebii says that in Wifi Rooms its Normal. I admit I've never used the move competively so I based the set off that, that is why I choosed to stay with the Extreme Speed. If it indeed its Ground then Camouflage is useless in this sense.

Decimosoma

Free to dream, free to smile
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Feb 13, 2014
Is female Meowstic a psychical attacker or a special attacker?

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years

Look at its base stats and movepool. It's a Special attacker. To further expand, male and female Meowstic have different level-up movepools and DW abilities. The male excels at support and has Prankster as its DW ability. The female is better at attacking and has Competitive (a Specially-based version of Defiant) as its DW ability. Their regular abilities are the same: Keen Eye and Infiltrator (though I'd stick to Infiltrator).

Years

It's the latter, she's primarily a special attacker.

As far as Meowstic's stats in general go, they mainly have high Speed and Sp. Attack while being average in all other stats. However, the different genders get different movesets, with males being supporters and females being attackers.

Edit: Dang it PlatinumDude lol

JayTheKing

~~King Of Valla~~
Years
I wanna hear opinions about these spreads
Chesnaught-Sassy:
252 Hp-Mix at Atck Def(More EVs in atk)
-Payback
-Seed Bomb
-Spikey Shield
-Ice Punch/Fire Punch

Sylveon-Calm
252 Def Mix in SpAtk-SpDef
-BabyDoll eyes
-Toxic
-Moonblast
-Wish

Heliolisk-Calm
4 HP-252 SpAtk & Speed
-Dark Pulse
-Grass Knot
-T-Wave
-Thunderbolt

Dragalge-Calm
252 HP-4 Def-252 SpAtk
-Surf
-Draco Meteor
-Sludge Bomb
-T-Bolt

Charizard-Modest
4 HP-252 SpAtk-252 Speed
-?
-Focus Blast
-Solar Beam(He has the Y mega)
-F-thrower

Mewostick(M)-Calm
252 HP-MIX in Def SpDef
-Substitute?
-Psyshock
-Reflect
-Light Screen

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
I wanna hear opinions about these spreads
Chesnaught-Sassy:
252 Hp-Mix at Atck Def(More EVs in atk)
-Payback
-Seed Bomb
-Spikey Shield
-Ice Punch/Fire Punch

Sylveon-Calm
252 Def Mix in SpAtk-SpDef
-BabyDoll eyes
-Toxic
-Moonblast
-Wish

Heliolisk-Calm
4 HP-252 SpAtk & Speed
-Dark Pulse
-Grass Knot
-T-Wave
-Thunderbolt

Dragalge-Calm
252 HP-4 Def-252 SpAtk
-Surf
-Draco Meteor
-Sludge Bomb
-T-Bolt

Charizard-Modest
4 HP-252 SpAtk-252 Speed
-?
-Focus Blast
-Solar Beam(He has the Y mega)
-F-thrower

Mewostick(M)-Calm
252 HP-MIX in Def SpDef
-Substitute?
-Psyshock
-Reflect
-Light Screen
Chesnaught doesn't learn the elemental punches. Why does it not have a Fighting STAB? While it's true that Hammer Arm reduces Speed after use, Chesnaught is slow, so it doesn't really care:
-Spikes
-Leech Seed
-Spiky Shield/Seed Bomb
-Hammer Arm
Nature: Impish
EVs: 248 HP/180 Def/80 SDef
Ability: Bulletproof

or
-Bulk Up
-Seed Bomb
-Hammer Arm
-Stone Edge/Poison Jab/Substitute
Nature: Adamant/Careful
EVs: 248 HP/252 Atk/8 SDef or 248 HP/8 Def/252 SDef

While it's true that Baby-doll Eyes is a priority Growl, it's not worth it because the opponent can just switch. Also, please, please, please max out Sylveon's HP first before you even go for the defenses:
-Wish
-Protect
-Moonblast
-Toxic/Shadow Ball
Nature: Bold
EVs: 252 HP/252 Def/4 SDef

Heliolisk is a Special sweeper, not a special defender because of its terrible defenses (though its Special Defense is admittedly decent). Note that Calm boosts Special Defense. It's too frail to make any use of support moves:
-Thunderbolt
-Surf
-Grass Knot/Focus Blast
-Hidden Power (Ice)/Focus Blast
Nature: Timid
EVs: 4 HP/252 SAtk/252 Spe
Item: Life Orb/Choice Specs
Ability: Dry Skin

What's the point of Dragalge having a Calm nature when its Special Defense isn't invested in at all? Make it Modest and keep your EV spread.

Note that Charizard Y's Drought hinders some of your team members. Chesnaught's Fire weakness is increased, Heliolisk's and Dragalge's Surfs will be weakened, while Heliolisk will take damage every turn while Sun is up (assuming Dry Skin is its ability). You're better off using regular Charizard or Charizard X, though Rapid Spin support will be required for regular Charizard:

Regular:
-Fire Blast
-Air Slash
-Focus Blast/Hidden Power (Grass)
-Flamethrower
EVs: 4 Def/252 SAtk/252 Spe
Item: Choice Specs/Choice Scarf

Charizard X:
-Dragon Dance/Swords Dance
-Flare Blitz
-Dragon Claw/Outrage
-Earthquake/Roost
Nature: Jolly/Adamant
EVs: 252 Atk/4 Def/252 Spe
Item: Charizardite X

Male Meowstic should use Prankster as its ability:
-Reflect
-Light Screen
-Toxic/Thunder Wave
-Psychic
EVs: 252 HP/4 Def/252 Spe
Item: Light Clay
Ability: Prankster

or
-Substitute
-Calm Mind
-Psychic
-Shadow Ball
Ability: Prankster

Last edited:

Decimosoma

Free to dream, free to smile
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Feb 13, 2014
Look at its base stats and movepool. It's a Special attacker. To further expand, male and female Meowstic have different level-up movepools and DW abilities. The male excels at support and has Prankster as its DW ability. The female is better at attacking and has Competitive (a Specially-based version of Defiant) as its DW ability. Their regular abilities are the same: Keen Eye and Infiltrator (though I'd stick to Infiltrator).

Thanks. Wasn't sure at first even while looking at the base stats.

It's the latter, she's primarily a special attacker.

As far as Meowstic's stats in general go, they mainly have high Speed and Sp. Attack while being average in all other stats. However, the different genders get different movesets, with males being supporters and females being attackers.

Edit: Dang it PlatinumDude lol

This is what I mostly wanted to hear. Short, quick and clear. Thanks a lot!

Pokedra

Retired
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Aug 21, 2016
What should Yveltal be Physical or Special Attacker and what nature.
Special for sure, so you can make use of Oblivion Wing for fast recovery and Aura-boosted Dark Pulse. I'd say Timid would be the nature to go for, actually Modest would probably be better. Depends on what you want to outspeed.

Tunuko

Huntin' Shinies!
Years
  • Age 36
  • Seen Aug 8, 2014
Putting my team together, figured out five members so far... any changes you guys would suggest and who should I consider for my sixth?

Current team -

Lead/Set-Up
Aerodactyl - Focus Sash - Pressure - Jolly

Stealth Rock
Rock Slide/Stone Edge
Earthquake
????

252 Att/4 Def/252 Spd

Phys Sweep
Scizor - Choice Band - Technician - Adamant

U-Turn
Bullet Punch
Pursuit
Superpower

252 Hp/252 Att/4 Spd

Phys Sweep
Metagross - Life Orb/Leftovers - Clear Body - Adamant

Meteor Mash
Earthquake
Thunderpunch
Pursuit

152 Hp/252 Att/104 Spd

Spec Sweep
Starmie - Choice Specs - Natural Cure - Timid

Ice Beam
Thunderbolt
Surf
Pyschic/Grass Knot

4 HP/252 SpA/252 Spd

Spec Sweep
Gengar - Life Orb - Levitate - Timid

Shadow Ball
Thunderbolt
Hidden Power (Ice/Fire)
Focus Blast

4 Hp/252 SpA/252 Spd

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
Putting my team together, figured out five members so far... any changes you guys would suggest and who should I consider for my sixth?

Current team -

Lead/Set-Up
Aerodactyl - Focus Sash - Pressure - Jolly

Stealth Rock
Rock Slide/Stone Edge
Earthquake
????

252 Att/4 Def/252 Spd

Phys Sweep
Scizor - Choice Band - Technician - Adamant

U-Turn
Bullet Punch
Pursuit
Superpower

252 Hp/252 Att/4 Spd

Phys Sweep
Metagross - Life Orb/Leftovers - Clear Body - Adamant

Meteor Mash
Earthquake
Thunderpunch
Pursuit

152 Hp/252 Att/104 Spd

Spec Sweep
Starmie - Choice Specs - Natural Cure - Timid

Ice Beam
Thunderbolt
Surf
Pyschic/Grass Knot

4 HP/252 SpA/252 Spd

Spec Sweep
Gengar - Life Orb - Levitate - Timid

Shadow Ball
Thunderbolt
Hidden Power (Ice/Fire)
Focus Blast

4 Hp/252 SpA/252 Spd
Really, this is fine as its own thread because you have most of the team figured out; you only need advice for general movesets and the last team slot.

Use Taunt on Aerodactyl to prevent your opponent from statusing it.

Use 248 HP/252 Atk/8 SDef on Scizor to round down hazards damage.

Metagross is better off with a Choice Band. Use 164 HP/252 Atk/92 Spe as the EV spread. What Pokemon does Metagross outspeed with your current spread?

Any Choice Pokemon that has access to Trick should use it to cripple opposing walls. Starmie is also known for being one of the best offensive Rapid Spin users:
-Hydro Pump/Surf
-Psyshock/Thunderbolt
-Rapid Spin/Ice Beam
-Trick
EVs: 252 SAtk/4 SDef/252 Spe
Item: Choice Specs
Ability: Natural Cure

I'd rather not use Thunderbolt on Gengar as Shadow Ball hits Water/Flying Pokemon hard enough already. Thunderbolt is mainly for Gyarados, but other than that, it's pointless to include:
-Substitute
-Shadow Ball
-Focus Blast
-Disable/Pain Split/Will-o-Wisp
Item: Black Sludge/Life Orb

or
-Shadow Ball
-Focus Blast
-Hidden Power (Ice/Fire)/Taunt
-Destiny Bond
Item: Focus Sash/Life Orb/Expert Belt

or
-Shadow Ball
-Focus Blast
-Hidden Power (Fire)
-Protect/Substitute
Item: Life Orb/Black Sludge

As for your last slot, I'd go with something that resists Ghost, Dark and Fire (since you're weak to those types). Hydreigon springs to mind:
-Draco Meteor
-Fire Blast
-Superpower
-Earthquake/Earth Power/Dark Pulse/Roost
Nature: Rash/Mild
EVs: 4 Atk/252 SAtk/252 Spe
Item: Life Orb/Expert Belt

or
-Substitute
-Dragon Pulse
-Focus Blast
-Fire Blast/Roost