• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

FireRed hack: Pokémon Throwback v211001: Kanto, Your Way

jAvAcOlA

Banned
Years
  • Seen Feb 22, 2015
"Complete"? How so? The game has always been playable from start to finish. It's still FR/LG at its core. More features get added as I think of and learn new things, but the game is still its original full package, able to be played from the start in Pallet Town to the end of the Pokémon League and to just about any other place in the game. If by "complete" you mean something like "I'm not adding anything else to the hack ever again and will only provide support and bug fixes", then I guess you can say that it's not complete right now.

"Beta"? You are aware that that phrase, along with "Alpha", "Pre-Alpha", "Early Access", and any other name implying a prototype of a game has a specific meaning in game development, right? Prototype games are unfinished at the core. They have features missing that would prohibit players from clearing the game or experiencing it as they should.

I have not actually played yet, so I did not know if the hack was a complete 'beginning to end' game yet, and if all the features had been added. Didn't mean to offend you.

RichterSnipes

Not even a nibble...
Years
  • Age 30
  • USA
  • Seen Dec 1, 2023
I have not actually played yet, so I did not know if the hack was a complete 'beginning to end' game yet, and if all the features had been added. Didn't mean to offend you.
My apologies. The very nature of this hack makes it so thinking of it in terms of completeness is an inaccurate judgment of its function. I meant to make that as clear as possible in the OP.

Mikekillkill

Musket Marine
Years

This is a DLC addon (Techincally, or just a simple addon) that adds the ability to finally catch the unobtainable pokemon in Firered, and Leafgreen. so you can get the Johto starters without having to trade to emerald...
The DLC part is not complete, but the Gameplay is...

Finally got the quote down!

RichterSnipes

Not even a nibble...
Years
  • Age 30
  • USA
  • Seen Dec 1, 2023
Version 3.8.1 Now Available

Well, I finally did it. I made a way to make Celebi obtainable. But...it's not what you might expect. Or maybe it is?!? Check it out for yourself! :)

Also in this update: a new tiny Extras feature, a bug fix, and background stuff.

Changelog:
Spoiler:

Enjoy the update!

And before I stop talking about the subject of complete-ness...
This is a DLC addon (Techincally, or just a simple addon) that adds the ability to finally catch the unobtainable pokemon in Firered, and Leafgreen. so you can get the Johto starters without having to trade to emerald...
The DLC part is not complete, but the Gameplay is...

Finally got the quote down!
This is the first time I've ever seen a hack referred to as DLC. However, this description of it misses much of what it actually is. There's much more to it than it just being a 251 hack.

And the new song table is at 0x8800000 (800000), BTW.

To everyone: I'm willing to elaborate more on the thought of completeness with parts of this hack.

The GB Player and Wardrobe patches are things that could be considered as completeable...to a point. The base end point for the GB Player patch is where all tunes that are reasonable to have 8-bit versions of them added to the game have those 8-bit versions, as flawless as possible and with minimum possible bugs. The base end point for the wardrobe patch is where all graphics of the player characters and rival have been retro-fied. I would actually consider the base of the both patches to be complete (although with a huge asterisk for the GB Player). Beyond the base end points, though, things can still change. I may find new ways to implement them into the game, for instance.

The Catch 'em All patch is a trickier beast to confront in these terms. The base criteria for completion is where all Pokémon stated to be available for the hack are, indeed, available. However, the means for obtaining each Pokémon can vary over time if I find better or more reasonable methods of making them available. These changes do not alter or put in doubt how "complete" the patch is. Heck, even Celebi's inclusion in any way could be debatable as to whether or not it makes this patch "complete". Outside of Japan, Celebi has never been obtainable in-game (either regularly or through activation from a Nintendo event) and likely never will. Thus, it would be canon and "correct" to actually keep it inaccessible in normal play. Personally, I'm happy like to make it obtainable through some means, but it's a huge undertaking to do it in a satisfactory way.

The Extras patch cannot ever be considered complete. By nature, it is meant to grow and expand as new little things get added to the game for the player's pleasure. Each addition to it is miniscule in scale, but they all have significant changes. Yet there is no foreseeable end goal for it. Unless that goal is "Include everything I ever wanted in FR/LG!", which is still not easily quantifiable and changes per individual.

This is why I cannot say my hack will ever be "complete". Throwback is comprised of the sum of its parts and more. The fact that any amount of features could exist in several different ways throughout the life of the hack means that there is no tangible end goal for it.

Sceptile90

The Master of YamiNoGames
Years
Hey, I think this hack looks great! But, would I be able to get the Pokemon Locations file in a.txt file because my phone can't read the Locations file?

Mikekillkill

Musket Marine
Years
Nice job on the celebi event... But i used a save editor to put the celebi that was on the save file, into my current save file so i don't have to worry about trading...

RichterSnipes

Not even a nibble...
Years
  • Age 30
  • USA
  • Seen Dec 1, 2023
Nice job on the celebi event... But i used a save editor to put the celebi that was on the save file, into my current save file so i don't have to worry about trading...
As is essentially what was done here, too! Event Pokémon distributors have to get their hordes of copies of specific critters somehow. Of course, I did go one step further and let you get even more Celebi than the ones already available on the save file from in-game.

A lot of people will think it's a pointless endeavor, but hey. It's meant to be like...two steps more authentic than save editing. And by Nintendo standards, it's 100% authentic!

I'd also like to warn against save editing on the GBA games in general just because of how easy it is to accidentally not make a 100% pure save file and end up with at least one Bad Egg in your PC, sometimes overwriting actual Pokémon in the save.

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Jul 2, 2023
Do you have a patch for the reusable tms and repel system alone?
Sorry if this is pestering.

RichterSnipes

Not even a nibble...
Years
  • Age 30
  • USA
  • Seen Dec 1, 2023
Do you have a patch for the reusable tms and repel system alone?
Sorry if this is pestering.
It's fine, you're not pestering at all!

Those two specific things don't require a patch of their own. I talked about how to implement (buggy) reusable TMs two pages back. As for the repel system, I will respect Darthatron's wishes and not make a patch strictly for that. It looks like you've found your way to the right topic anyways. If a better method for this does arise as one poster hinted at, I'll be interested.
This witchcraft is too good to be true.
I know, right? That's something that has always annoyed me in the games. It seems like the developers wanted you to have a Pokémon that knew Cut with you at all times. It's just a dumb arbitrary restriction if you ask me. Trees shouldn't grow back within minutes of being cut down!

I'm actually surprised more hacks haven't done this.

playplayj

TheArchangle
Years
I'm a bit confused, do I need a specific Fire Red/Leaf Green rom or is any regular FR/LG rom fine?

Also, where's the wild pokemon list? I'm a bit confused looking for it..

Last edited:

Reject217

Great Pokémon Reject
Years
I'm a bit confused, do I need a specific Fire Red/Leaf Green rom or is any regular FR/LG rom fine?

I believe it doesn't matter, but for most of my Fire Red hacks, I tend to use Squirrels.

RichterSnipes

Not even a nibble...
Years
  • Age 30
  • USA
  • Seen Dec 1, 2023

I believe it doesn't matter, but for most of my Fire Red hacks, I tend to use Squirrels.
That would be incorrect. Most, if not all, FireRed hacks require BPRE v1.0. For my LeafGreen patch, that would be BPGE v1.0. This ROM is the English version of the game with various issues left in it. The most immediate one you'll notice is that the word "Presents" doesn't appear below the Game Freak logo on startup. Another issue is with the Pokédex entries of species that have a two-word classification, such as Squirtle, the "Tiny Turtle" Pokémon. In a vanilla v1.0 ROM, it would appear as the "Tiny" Pokémon instead. But typically you'll use the GameFreak logo to check if you have the right version. Don't fret about the bugs, though, since Throwback fixes them after being applied to the ROM.

Good catch on the wild Pokémon list...I accidentally forgot it! It should be in the download now, so just redownload the patch to get it.

As an aside, referring to ROM releases by the names of those who upload them to illegal file hosting sites (such as Squirrels) typically isn't a good idea. It could potentially oust oneself as a pirate (or piracy advocate/non-preventer). Also, since the ROMs should be the clean, vanilla ROMs that ship on the retail cartridges, attributing a scene person's name to them would be unnecessary to describing its state. Clean ROMs should be an expectation, not something to look out for. If there's ever an upload on a warez site that tampers with the game (such as removing copyright information or including a custom splash-screen in it, or maybe some scare screen or other nonsense inserted into it "for funsies"), those people should feel doubly-ashamed: regularly for being an accessory to distributing copyrighted content, and secondly for tarnishing an official release, making it more stressful to preserve the original game.

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen Jan 3, 2021
I've looked at the events guide but how do I evolve onix etc. or do i still need to trade?>

RichterSnipes

Not even a nibble...
Years
  • Age 30
  • USA
  • Seen Dec 1, 2023
I've looked at the events guide but how do I evolve onix etc. or do i still need to trade?>
All trade-evolve Pokémon still evolve through trade. However, you can catch a Steelix - or any other evolved-through-trade Pokémon - on one specific map in the game. Refer to the Wild Locations guide to find out what map you can find it on.

Back