• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Cheap Standard format Talonflame deck

Hands

I was saying Boo-urns
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen yesterday
Pokemon: 14

3x Fletchling
3x Fletchinder
4x Talonflame
4x Talonflame BREAK

Items: 26

4x Ultra Ball
4x Crushing Hammer
4x Trainer Mail
4x VS Seeker
3x Max potion
2x Special Charge
2x Evosoda
2x Level Ball
1x Town Map

Supporters: 12

3x Professor Sycamore
2x N
2x Lysandre
2x Team Flare Grunt
1x Hex Maniac
1x Delinquent
1x Wally

Energy: 8

4x Burning Energy
4x Fire Energy

This is a nice, cheap and workable deck for new/budget players that I've worked up based around a toolbox deck I've seen a few times. I've scrapped everything Pokemon wise except for the Talonflame line.

The reason we are running 3 Fletchling to a 4 Talonflame/BREAK ratio is because, thanks to it's ability, the Talonflame from STS (Steam Siege) can act as a basic if it is in your starting hand. Having less Flethling than Talonflame rises the likelihood of pulling a Talonflame to use as our basic. If, by some chance, you do not pull the Talonflame in your opening hand, don't worry. We have 1x Wally, 2x Evosoda and 4x Ultraball to get us out of a jam and set up one the old fashioned way via evolution.

Our attack strategy is simple. Use your Hammers, Lysandres and/or Grunts to disrupt your opponent alongside Talonflame's attack (for just one energy) to deal 40 dmg and search for 2 cards per turn to set up further Talonflame lines on the bench. As soon as you have a BREAK on the field you can start adding the Burning energy, which will allow Talonflame BREAK to lay down a strong 150 damage each turn without having to discard anything to do it. Special Charge will allow you to grab back any Burning energy your opponent forces into the discard and max potions will keep a Talonflame going far beyond most of your opponent's cards. Mid game help comes in the form of Delinquent and N, causing even more disruption for your opponent. Between healing, laying down big damage, a decent search engine and hand/energy disruption you should be able to do hold your own, even against bigger, badder decks.

One thing you could do, is drop the Wally for a Winona and drop something else (A trainer's Mail perhaps) for a fisherman. I'd only do this if you aren't confident with the speed of the deck yet and want something that'll support you a little better with a slower set up.

This deck will auto-lose to Greninja 99/100 times. Unfortunately it's just not a match up it can really do well against. It will also routinely lose to Waterbox and Eeveebox. What it should stand up ok to is M Mewtwo and Yveltal/Garb decks and it'll certainly handle any Yanmega, M Scizor or M Sceptile decks you encounter.

As I say, this is a decklist I threw together to help new players in such a speedy and technical format. Ideas on how to improve it or whatever are, as always, welcome :) This is a open source deck in the sense that you can make a lot of changes to it and still have it run well.

Back