• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pokemon the movie 2018

Years
I think it was the XY movies failing at the box office that was probably main influence behind this reboot of the movie timeline. It seems to show a message that nostalgia sells because M20's turnout was a notable improvement on the entire XY trilogy.

Alexander18

Banned
Years
  • Age 32
  • NZ
  • Seen Dec 29, 2017
I think it was the XY movies failing at the box office that was probably main influence behind this reboot of the movie timeline. It seems to show a message that nostalgia sells because M20's turnout was a notable improvement on the entire XY trilogy.

I love the XY trilogy and i take them over I Choose You and this upcoming movie any day.

I am sick of nostalgia. The majority of fans already know about the past games, episodes and movie. Nostalgia is not a good enough reason to produce lazy movies like gen 7 movies.

Guest123_x1

I think it's safe to say that the movies won't be returning to featuring "side quests" in a current-for-the-time region that Ash is traveling in at that time, especially if audiences thought the longtime formula was getting stale (see Hikari's post).

We've seen quite a few other concepts regarding the Pokémon franchise, and not just with the anime, become things of the past with the Alola saga. Doing a feature film with a story based on the contemporary region and characters Ash has at the time of release may have worked out very well in the earliest years of the franchise, but eventually, things get tired and stale.

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Apr 22, 2018

Nailed it. After the XY movies flopped and M20 did noticeably better, there's no reason to return to the old Gen 3-6 movie formula.

After what happened with M20, my expectations for M21 are low. :sideways: Even if it's a retread of M02, I don't expect to see any actual characters from that movie besides the expected Ash/TRio, and we'll probably also get a bunch of random Gen 4 Pokémon and Sinnoh references again.

Years
Nailed it. After the XY movies flopped and M20 did noticeably better, there's no reason to return to the old Gen 3-6 movie formula.

After what happened with M20, my expectations for M21 are low. :sideways: Even if it's a retread of M02, I don't expect to see any actual characters from that movie besides the expected Ash/TRio, and we'll probably also get a bunch of random Gen 4 Pokémon and Sinnoh references again.

I personally don't like this new reboot idea, especially if it retcons characters out of existence which was basically what M20 did with Brock and Misty, who were instead relegated to just appearing in the end credits with all of Ash's other companions from OS-XY.

Basically the writers seemed to have used the XY trilogy's failure as a sign people just weren't interested in the movies anymore, and felt the only way to solve the problem was reboot the whole timeline.

Years
  • Age 122
  • Seen Jan 27, 2019

Yeah, nostalgia aside, movie 20 was pretty underwhelming. Lots of friendship chosen one crap going on.

Alexander18

Banned
Years
  • Age 32
  • NZ
  • Seen Dec 29, 2017
XY trilogy was a success. The stories were good, legendaries had good roles and Ash's design was great.

I Choose You did worse in my opinion and i think this one would be just as bad.

Years
M20 was good imo. We were able to see
Spoiler:

However, I think they exaggerated in the Ash-Pikachu friendship scenes which regressed development in the movie. I know Ash and Pikachu are besties but I still fail to see flaws in their friendship.

I hope this doesn't happen again in this movie.

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen Mar 14, 2019
The OS Pokemon movies were far more better, then the ones that came after the OS.

The XY movies were pure garbage, and they did far worser then the AG/DP/BW movies.

I think it is good for them not to do anymore movies base on the anime, especially since the XY movies did terribly at the box office. It does make since not to do anymore side quest for movies, and giving the fact how different the SM series is, it would be good to do reboot movies of the anime instead. But M20 wasn't all that good to begin with and i doubt M21 will be any better.

Alexander18

Banned
Years
  • Age 32
  • NZ
  • Seen Dec 29, 2017
The people running the movies had made a poor choice. These reboots are the worst films to be made.

The OS movies were fine but pokemon movies got better for the Hoenn, Sinnoh, Unova and Kalos movies. Kalos did very well and is better than SM movies and OS movies.

I recommend cancelling the reboot and return to the superior format the pokemon movies were before.

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Apr 22, 2018
I personally don't like this new reboot idea, especially if it retcons characters out of existence which was basically what M20 did with Brock and Misty, who were instead relegated to just appearing in the end credits with all of Ash's other companions from OS-XY.

Basically the writers seemed to have used the XY trilogy's failure as a sign people just weren't interested in the movies anymore, and felt the only way to solve the problem was reboot the whole timeline.

I wouldn't be surprised if TPC is trying to create a "Pokémon Cinematic Universe" with these movies. It's the latest franchise fad, after all, and I can see TPC/Nintendo wanting to get a piece of that pie. :rolleyes2:

What's going on right now with the Pokémon movies is giving me flashbacks to what happened with the Star Trek movies. After the last two TNG movies (Insurrection and Nemesis) flopped, Paramount went with a full reboot for the next one, and the end result was the 2009 JJ Abrams Star Trek -- a glossier, but much shallower version of TOS that was better-received than the previous two movies and did well at the box office... basically what M20 is for the Pokémon franchise.

After the 2009 movie came Into Darkness, which was pretty much a poor attempt at remaking the second TOS movie, Wrath of Khan. And, what do you know, M21 similarly appears to be an attempt at remaking the second OS movie, The Power of One. And, now you see why my expectations are low. -_-

(Seriously, the NuTrek movies are *not* a good lead to follow, especially with the third one flopping and leaving the franchise's future up in the air. If NuTrek could kill itself so quickly after a strong start, who's to say this Pokémon reboot attempt won't eventually end up doing the same thing?)

Years
The OS Pokemon movies were far more better, then the ones that came after the OS.
Based on what?

Pokemon DP: Zoroark Master of Illusions has got higher grossing than Pokemon 3: Spell of the Unown, Pokemon 4Ever and Pokemon Heroes altogether. The only OS movies that have got higher grossing than DP movies are Pokemon: The First Movie and Pokemon 2000.

I can agree the first two OS movies can be better but I can not say the same for the other 3 OS movies.
So no, not all the OS movies are better than the ones that came after.

The XY movies were pure garbage, and they did far worser then the AG/DP/BW movies.
I agree.

Alexander18

Banned
Years
  • Age 32
  • NZ
  • Seen Dec 29, 2017
Back on topic: this new movie has failed to spark my interest so far. It may have been 30 seconds of a trailer but seeing the graphics told me how this movie is unappealing and potentially another failure.

Frozocrone

Fighting a bigger fight
Years
Frankly idgaf, the new art style and character look pretty dang good and I'm interested in this being a continuation of M20.

So tired of the same 'legendary Pokemon with current group vs bad guys' thing that's plagued the anime for years, really glad they're trying something new. Not that everything works out better but it's refreshing to see change.

Years
Zeraora, huh? that's a good point.
It is a mythical Pokemon like Marshadow so it's alright to assume it may appear.
I wonder what kind of rol would it have in the movie?

Alexander18

Banned
Years
  • Age 32
  • NZ
  • Seen Dec 29, 2017
I get why some find the previous format of the movies tiresome but i feel that these reboot movies is not the way to go in my opinion.

I think we would see Zeraora. Magearna and Marshadow are already used. So that leaves that.

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen Mar 14, 2019
Based on what?

Pokemon DP: Zoroark Master of Illusions has got higher grossing than Pokemon 3: Spell of the Unown, Pokemon 4Ever and Pokemon Heroes altogether. The only OS movies that have got higher grossing than DP movies are Pokemon: The First Movie and Pokemon 2000.

I can agree the first two OS movies can be better but I can not say the same for the other 3 OS movies.
So no, not all the OS movies are better than the ones that came after.

I agree.

The OS movies were more better, they had a lot of work put into them. The animation was far more interesting and the story telling was very mature.

The AG/DP era movies were ok, but they weren't all that great.

Last edited:

Alexander18

Banned
Years
  • Age 32
  • NZ
  • Seen Dec 29, 2017
The more that the opinion of OS movies being better been shoved in this thread, the more unlikable they will become for me.

Saying they are better is NOT fact. It is an opinion. And it does not need to be repeated.

It is the same for someone like me who loves AG, DP, BW & XY movies. I find them to be better than OS movies but that is MY opinion.

OS movies are enjoyable. I won't deny that.
But this thread is about the 2018 movie so lets stay on topic.

I am gonna watch this movie. Still not a fan but giving a go won't hurt.

Updated the original post to place some requirements of the thread.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 31
  • USA
  • Seen Mar 30, 2024
Interesting that this movie may have a focus on Lugia. I appreciated that M20 took off from the first episode and used that to give (actual) Ho-oh the focus of a movie for the first time in the series. With that said, not that they can't focus on the same legendary again, but Lugia already had its own movie (in my opinion, a great one at that) so I wonder why they may choose Lugia again for this next movie.

...Not that I would complain. I'm biased because Johto is one of my favorite regions, and I loved that M20 had a lot of focus on gen 2 and gen 4, in addition to its obvious gen 1 basis. If this movie incorporates a lot of gen 5 as well, then chances are I'm going to really enjoy it...

Back