• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best places on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! Community members will not see the bottom screen advertisements.
  • Want to share your adventures playing Pokémon?
    Check out our new Travel Journals forum for sharing playthroughs of ROM Hacks, Fan Games, and other Pokémon content!
  • IMPORTANT: Following a takedown request, the following hacks have been delisted from PokéCommunity:

• Pokémon Glazed
    • Pokémon: Giratina Strikes Back
    • Pokémon Flora Sky
    • Pokémon Stranded
    The downloads and discussion threads for these hacks will no longer be accessible, and staff will be unable to return questions regarding accessing this content.

FireRed hack: Pokémon Gaia Version

Years

Pokémon Gaia Version - a hack of FireRed

Story

The storied Orbtus region was once populated by a prosperous civilization. They created several monuments to their gods and guardians. Their untimely demise was brought about by a series of disastrous earthquakes; all that remains of their society are their temples, idols and story, as relics of the past.

In the present day, local archaeologist and Pokémon Professor, Professor Redwood, has noticed an increase in the region's seismic activity. Propelled by a growing concern for Orbtus' safety, he seeks the assistance of new Pokémon Trainers with a flair for adventure in the rural Celanto Town, a seaside town near the mysterious totem poles, and your home! Will you, along with the help of the Professor and your rival, be able to prevent the earth from consuming the region once more?

Features

• The Physical / Special / Status split
  • Pokémon from Kanto, Johto, Hoenn, Sinnoh, Unova and Kalos
  • New moves and updated move sets, accurate to OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire, and with working effects and animations
  • Modern competitive items like the Choice Specs, Assault Vest, Ability Pill, and more
  • Modern abilities, ranging from Mega Launcher to Sheer Force
  • An in-battle Mega Evolution system, with Mega Stones hidden throughout the region
  • Fairy-type and the new type chart
  • Updated Pokémon sprites
  • Updated Trainer sprites and accurate over world sprites
  • Original songs, like Windmist City's theme and the battle music for the Elder Knights
  • Rock Climb and climbable walls
  • Dive and underwater maps, fully ported from Ruby, Sapphire and Emerald
  • Hidden Grottoes and Secret Temples, which reward exploration with rare items and Pokémon with unique move sets
  • The Bug-Catching Contest
  • The Battle Marsh, a Battle Maison-esque facility
  • Sideways stairs
  • Various quality of life changes:
Spoiler: Minor features
  • The player faces Trainers before battles
  • Running Shoes can be used indoors
  • Pokémon, item, location, etc. names are in title case
  • A bonus Premier Ball is given for every purchase of ten or more Poké Balls
  • Repellents give reuse prompts upon expiration
  • Experience Points are gained upon Pokémon capture
  • Technical Machine items are reusable
  • Field moves have faster animations

Screenshots (as of v3)

titlescreen.png
redwood.png
reliquia_ruins.png
relicanth_tablet.png
wisp_forest.png
oppos.png
mega.png
town_map.png
11.png
12.png
13.png
14.png
16.png
17.png
18.png
19.png
20.png
21.png
22.png
23.png
25.png
26.png
27.png
28.png
29.png
2.png
3.png
5.png

Team

Spoiler:

Special thanks and credits

Spoiler:

Tools used

Awards

Spoiler:

Frequently Asked Questions

• NOTE! The patching tutorials below refer to 1635, but 1636 should work fine as well!
  • How do I play on a Windows computer?
    Spoiler: Instructions for playing Gaia on a Windows computer
    Download the pokemon_gaia_v3.2.zip file in the Download section of this post.
    Extract all of its files into a folder.
    Find and download the 1635 - Pokemon Fire Red (U)(Squirrels).gba ROM, and move it to the folder.
    Use the included patching programs (either NUPS or tsukuyomi) to apply the pokemon_gaia_v3.2.ups file to the 1635 - Pokemon Fire Red (U)(Squirrels).gba file.
    Download a GBA emulator; I recommend VBA-M.
    Configure the emulator, ensuring that its save type is Flash 128 KB.
    Load the patched .gba file with the emulator, and play!
  • How do I play on an Apple computer?
    Spoiler: Instructions for playing Gaia on an Apple computer
    Find and download the 1635 - Pokemon Fire Red (U)(Squirrels).gba ROM, and move it to the folder.
    Download a program capable of patching .ups files; I recommend Multipatch.
    Use the patching program to apply the pokemon_gaia_v3.2.ups file to the 1635 - Pokemon Fire Red (U)(Squirrels).gba file.
    Download a GBA emulator; I recommend OpenEmu.
  • How do I play on an Android mobile device?
    Spoiler: Instructions for playing Gaia on an Android mobile device
    Download an app capable of patching .ups files; I recommend ROM Patcher, which can be found on the Play Store.
    Use the patching app to apply the pokemon_gaia_v3.2.ups file to the 1635 - Pokemon Fire Red (U)(Squirrels).gba file.
    Alternatively, follow one of the above tutorials and patch the ROM, then transfer the patched .gba file to your Android mobile device.
    Download a GBA emulator; I recommend MyBoy.
  • How do I play on an Apple mobile device?
    Spoiler: Instructions for playing Gaia on an Apple mobile device
    I am not aware of any apps for Apple mobile devices capable of patching .ups files. You could either: follow one of the above tutorials to patch your ROM, then transfer the patched .gba file to your Apple mobile device; or use an online patching tool such as https://www.marcrobledo.com/RomPatcher.js/.
    Download a GBA emulator; I recommend GBA4IOS.
  • Can I reuse my save from previous versions of Gaia for v3?
    No. Unfortunately, creative decisions mean that saves from previous versions of Gaia will not be compatible with v3. You will have to start over.
  • What about my save from v3? Will I be able to use that in future releases?
    Yes, forwards-compatibility is planned for saves from v3.

For more, check out the #faq Discord channel.

Locations and Info [SPOILERS!]

Known Bugs

To see a list of known bugs, please visit the #known-bugs channel of Pokémon Gaia's Discord server. It is kept up-to-date with known bugs, and also indicates which bugs have been fixed internally (that is, bugs which have been fixed but the fix has not been released yet in a bugfix update). If you find a bug not at this link, please report it either here, in this thread, or in the #bug-reports channel of Pokémon Gaia's Discord server.

Download

• Gaia Beta v3.2
    Release date: 8th November, 2018
    Mirror Download: http://sphericalice.com/romhacking/hacks/gaia/pokemon_gaia_v3.2.zip
    Notes: v3.2 is a bugfix update for v3 (changelog). Saves from v3.0 and v3.1 ARE compatible with v3.2. However, as with v3.0, saves from versions v2.5 or before of Gaia are NOT compatible with v3.2. This beta ends after the credits roll in the Pokémon League, with all eight Gym battles, the full main story, and the Elite Four and Champion battles. Please read the included README.txt file for important information, or visit the Discord server linked above. On top of the purely new content added to this release, a lot of content has also been added in between Gyms, as well as lots of bugfixes from Beta v2.5, balancing, and in general the hack has a greater degree of polish. Saves from previous versions are NOT compatible with this version. There is no postgame in this release; there is a v4 planned which will tie up the loose ends of the story, as well as feature two new islands-worth of content, and more items, Pokémon and legendary encounters.
Spoiler: Previous releases
  • Previous version v3.1: [dropbox] [mirror]
    v3.1 Release date: 16th October, 2018
    Previous version v3.0: [dropbox] [mirror]
    v3.0 Release date: 14th October, 2018
  • Previous version v2.5: [dropbox]
    Release date: 2nd November, 2015
    Notes: v2.5 is a content and bugfix update for v2.0. Saves from v2.0 are NOT compatible with v2.5. This beta ends in Precimos Island, with a total of six Gym battles. Please read the included README.txt file for important information. v2.5 introduces a whole host of new features, from Mega Evolution to The Bug-Catching Contest. A lot of content has also been added in between Gyms, as well as an additional sixth Gym. Lots of bugs from Beta v1 and v2 have been fixed, and in general the hack has a greater degree of polish. Saves from previous versions are NOT compatible with this version.
    Previous version v2.0: [dropbox]
    v2.0 Release date: 11th May, 2015
  • Previous version v1.1: [dropbox]
    Release date: 18th October, 2014
    Notes: v1.1 is a bugfix update for v1.0. Saves from v1.0 ARE compatible with v1.1. This beta ends in Windmist City, after the second Gym battle. Please read the included text files for information on how to try and use older saves to play, as well as for important things to note, incomplete things, as well as information regarding the new Pokémon, moves, and much more.
    Previous version v1.0: [dropbox]
    v1.0 Release date: 27th September, 2014

Randomizer

Last edited by a moderator:

Andrut

Collecting dust since 1898
Years
This looks very curious!
I really like mystic storylines and I will be definitely checking this hack out. The screenshots look very intriguing, I love libraries, too. They put me in an unusual mood. I think it'd be a great idea to visit the library often and uncover new secrets with each visit.
- Fleece

machomuu

Stuck in Hot Girl Summer
Years
Seems pretty interesting, but what really gets me is this:
Spoiler:

Not only does the mysterious tablet in the middle look great on its own, but it melds so fantastically with the tiles around it that it gives the illusion of 3D. I love it!

Apart from that, I'm digging this hack. You don't see too many hacks that rewards and praises exploration the way this does, and the region and its past is so mysterious that the player will have no choice but to submit to their curiosity and do so. I'm interested in seeing more of this.

Sniper

ふゆかい
Years
Whooo hooo! Another hack of yours, yet the tiles are amazing! Also..
kNsU2ti.png

Sweet, sweet titlescreen!

gtrC0jN.png

Loving the tiles <3 Hope to see more! ^^ asdfghjkl

Years
Wow. I must say, this look really interesting.
The game looks quite mysterious, based on the story and few screens that I've seen.

I especially like the totem pole screen and the relicanth wall screen.
Thank you! Mystery is definitely the mood I want to establish with some parts of this game!

This looks very curious!
I really like mystic storylines and I will be definitely checking this hack out. The screenshots look very intriguing, I love libraries, too. They put me in an unusual mood. I think it'd be a great idea to visit the library often and uncover new secrets with each visit.
- Fleece
Thank you! That's a great idea, I was going to let you just read random books but making it change upon different visits would be an interesting gimmick!

I saw this on romhack.me yesterday and I think it's awesome! This hack really has my attention.. but does this mean you stopped working on Cobalt?
Thanks! Cobalt is on an indefinite hiatus, because, if I'm honest, I got bored with it. If, in the future, I feel like going back to it, I will, but that's a far way off at the moment.

Seems pretty interesting, but what really gets me is this:
Spoiler:

Not only does the mysterious tablet in the middle look great on its own, but it melds so fantastically with the tiles around it that it gives the illusion of 3D. I love it!

Apart from that, I'm digging this hack. You don't see too many hacks that rewards and praises exploration the way this does, and the region and its past is so mysterious that the player will have no choice but to submit to their curiosity and do so. I'm interested in seeing more of this.
Thanks! The tablet was actually an adaptation of this piece of pixel art made by the amazing Neslug -- all I did was turn it into a tile!

O.o That looks so awesome!
I like the fake 3D tiles :)
Thanks!

Whooo hooo! Another hack of yours, yet the tiles are amazing! Also..
kNsU2ti.png

Sweet, sweet titlescreen!

gtrC0jN.png

Loving the tiles <3 Hope to see more! ^^ asdfghjkl
Thank you! The Ho-oh Temple tile was made by the amazing Cuddlesthefatcat. All I did to this tile was change the perspective slightly, and make it look older, and more deteriorated.

I'm glad to see so much positive feedback in such a short span of time! Here, have another screenshot:

LaWdAD7.png

Last edited:

Logan

[img]http://pldh.net/media/pokecons_action/403.gif
Years
Looks interesting, I do wonder what the Dusty Tome is. I hope you realise how good your mapping is... because it is. Good luck and gods speed.

Last edited:

AmazingCharizard

Pokemon Rocket Strike creator
Years
This looks really good and not 0815. But it looks like you won't change tiles(or use a rombase)? I wonder though; is there no such criminal syndicate or bigger antagonist or won't you reveal it just now? Just curious, you know :)

Trainer 781

This looks to be awesome. I really like the the concept of Exploring an Ancient Civilisation. The name of the region is very cool. Good luck. :D

Years
Looks interesting, I do wonder what the Dusty Tome is. I hope you realise how good your mapping is... because it is. Good luck and gods speed.
Thanks! The Dusty Tome might have some significance.

This looks really good and not 0815. But it looks like you won't change tiles(or use a rombase)? I wonder though; is there no such criminal syndicate or bigger antagonist or won't you reveal it just now? Just curious, you know :)
Thank you! The tiles are staying the same, in the sense that I'm sticking with the FireRed-styled tiles. And, with regards to a bigger antagonist, who knows?

This looks to be awesome. I really like the the concept of Exploring an Ancient Civilisation. The name of the region is very cool. Good luck. :D
Thanks!

looks great! who would the starters be?
Thanks! I've actually mulled over what I want the starters to be quite a lot. For now, this is what I've decided on, though I do recognise that it might be quite flawed as I haven't really playtested them much for balance.

5BQPn5K.png
NTV1gX1.png
l700DBr.png

As of now, it seems like Yanma is easy-mode, with Swinub being the relatively standard starter, and Tangela being the hardest starter to train, at least to begin with. These are definitely not set in stone, but I think they're an interesting selection and fit in quite well with the ancient theme of the game (if you can work out why, good job). Their evolutions from Generation 4 will be included.

Last edited:

DrFuji

[I]Heiki Hecchara‌‌[/I]
Years
So Gaia finally sees the light of day :P

Everything is looking great, I especially love the totem poles and the Relicanth stone. Like Shix has said, your mapping is good and I'm looking forward to seeing more of Gaia in general. One suggestion though, I think you should move the camera down a tile or two in the screenshot with Professor Redwood. If you do that then you can get everybody in view and not have the textbox overlap the player/ rival.

5BQPn5K.png
NTV1gX1.png
l700DBr.png

As of now, it seems like Yanma is easy-mode, with Swinub being the relatively standard starter, and Tangela as the hardest (at least to begin with). These are definitely not set in stone, but I think they're an interesting selection and fit in quite well with the mood of the game (if you can work out why, good job). Their evolutions from Generation 4 will be included.

ancient powerup

jan2prado

Eat, Sleep, Repeat!
Years
This seems pretty interesting... and mysterious at that.. I LOVE IT!! Also Swinub is kinda One Evolution ahead of the other two unless Mamoswine isn't present in the game.. but good job :D I lililililililily like it :D

Years
So Gaia finally sees the light of day :P

Everything is looking great, I especially love the totem poles and the Relicanth stone. Like Shix has said, your mapping is good and I'm looking forward to seeing more of Gaia in general. One suggestion though, I think you should move the camera down a tile or two in the screenshot with Professor Redwood. If you do that then you can get everybody in view and not have the textbox overlap the player/ rival.
Thanks! That's a good point, I didn't notice that.
ancient powerup
wow way to ruin the surprise for everyone I told you already nerd

This seems pretty interesting... and mysterious at that.. I LOVE IT!! Also Swinub is kinda One Evolution ahead of the other two unless Mamoswine isn't present in the game.. but good job :D I lililililililily like it :D
Thanks! Swinub does indeed have one evolution more than Yanma and Tangela. However, the way in which it learns Ancient Power (ie through the move relearner) means that I'll be able to delay when Mamoswine is available to the player. In any case, it's likely I'll redo this selection of starters, but for now that will be what they are.

Those screenshots.. Wow! Looking forward to this hack(:
Thanks!

YMaDgLz.png
L5DSdgE.png

Just some more screenshots of Phoena City.

jan2prado

Eat, Sleep, Repeat!
Years
I just looked their Base Stats up and found that it didn't really matter actually... Tangrowth had the BST of 535, Yanmega of 515, and Mamoswine of 530... but at their pre-evolutions Swinub is at a huge disadvantage having 250 BST while the other two had 435(Tangela) and 390(Yanma and a bit low at that) and I think Piloswine should replace Swinub with a BST 430 but then Yanma would fall behind.. In this way the game would be like Yanma - Hard, Piloswine - Medium, Tangela - Easy having a base 100 Sp. Attack and 115 Base Defense at that...

Reject217

Great Pokémon Reject
Years
I just looked their Base Stats up and found that it didn't really matter actually... Tangrowth had the BST of 535, Yanmega of 515, and Mamoswine of 530... but at their pre-evolutions Swinub is at a huge disadvantage having 250 BST while the other two had 435(Tangela) and 390(Yanma and a bit low at that) and I think Piloswine should replace Swinub with a BST 430 but then Yanma would fall behind.. In this way the game would be like Yanma - Hard, Piloswine - Medium, Tangela - Easy having a base 100 Sp. Attack and 115 Base Defense at that...

Don't forget to take in their movesets and how the Spherical would plot out the storyline.

Porto

Survivor
Years
Spherical! Hurry up already! I want to play this hack. Man, it looks so awesome, all the ancient stuff and theme of the storyline :^) And damn, those tiles and title screen look beautiful! (no homo)
I can't wait to play the beta

Last edited by a moderator:
Back