• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Guide: 1st & 2nd GEN: Bugs/Glitches/Exploits

Which Should I Work on Next?... both will take time.

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Amy May

Banned
Years
  • Age 39
  • Seen Nov 13, 2021
Bugs/Glitches/Exploits
Generation 1 & 2
(2nd Gen still in the works.)​

Hello There, I'm Amy! :)

I'm a Pokemon gamer through love and a game tester by hobby. Many years ago, I spent most my spare time playing older cartridge games soley to discover their quirks about them... Yes, I'm very weird. xD

Today, I'm here to provide information posting/catalog of game bugs, glitches, tricks, and some glitch exploits for USA stock Generation 1 & 2 game series.... and maybe more to come in the future? 0.0

Note: I'm not willing to provide glitch exploit tutorials that will cause extreme permanent harm to your current game, without way to reverse it's most negative effects other than starting new game file.
But please keep in mind, this doesn't mean the tutorials I provide for glitch exploiting are exactly safe either.
....... There's always a risk when exploiting glitches in games and you'll do so at your own risk.

--------------------

Index:
- 1st Gen
- 2nd Gen

--------------------

Glossary for basic understanding:
Spoiler:

*Please Note: This is a very involved work in progress.

~ I'll be updating post(s) as more information comes to me, also after further testing. Most the information I provided, I have successfully exploited or ran into while playing cartridge games over 10 years ago, at the very least.

~ I now test using clean stock ROMs, which I also use in game testing, using Android emulator. I'm not willing to provide anyone with ROMs either, so don't ask. Any content involving use of link cable and 2 game systems, in the case of 1st and 2nd Gen, I won't be able to test further at this time. Some content involving 3rd Gen, I can and have tested further on physical game cartridge, but only to a point. All my old cartridges currently have a dead or corroded battery.

~ In the future, I may also create a posting for Generations 3.

~Happy Glitch'in!!!

Last edited:

Amy May

Banned
Years
  • Age 39
  • Seen Nov 13, 2021
1st Gen: Bugs/Glitches/Exploits

1st Generation
[a id]Index[/a id]

Quick Index
Spoiler:

Red/Blue/Yellow (USA): In the Order of Your Game

New-game startup- Red/Blue

* Glitch:
During tutorial, game shows Nidorino's sprite but plays Nidorina's cry.

Pallet Town

* Glitch:
If you stand outside of Professor Oak's Lab, the person outside it will eventually stand on the Lab's door.
... This is due to door tiles being programmed as a non-solid tile.

* Glitch:
If you lure NPC onto the path that Professor Oak takes to bring you to Laboratory, Professor Oak walk right over and through that NPC.

* Glitch:
Prior to having Professor Oak lead you to his Laboratory, if you lure the female NPC so her character stands on the left side of Route 1's entry and stand next to her on the right, when Professor Oak leads you to his Laboratory.. the game leads your character on a path that ends with you being stuck in the Lab's outer wall. xD

Oak's Laboratory- Red/Blue

* Glitch:
Holding "A" button at the moment of interacting with Poke Ball in Oak's Laboratory, game will freeze until you let go of button.

* Glitch:
Attempting to leave too many time without choosing your 1st Pokemon, seldomly Professor Oak and the middle Poke Ball's sprite will vanish. This glitch can seldomly have your character vanish too.
- Pressing "Start" will pull up glitched tiling on the screen (sometimes glitched menu), but exiting start menu will fix the entire glitch.
... This is due to too many things being displayed on the screen at once.

Oak's Laboratory- Yellow

* Trick:
If you have the potion from your PC on you, using it on Pikachu before ever leaving Oak's Laboratory has a good chance of maxing out it's happiness.

Returning to Oak's Laboratory for Pokedex- Yellow
*IMPORTANT*

* Glitch:
Warning: If you at least 2 Pokemon registered as caught in Pokedex before obtaining the Pokedex from Professor Oak, the game will assume you already have the Pokedex... softlocking your game.
- You'll have no choice but start a new game at this point.
- This glitch was fixed in international releases of Red and Blue.

Oak after 2nd rival battle

* Trick:
If you only have your starter Pokemon, no other registered Pokemon in your dex (including not evolving your starter), and/or no Pokeballs in your bag at *All Times* prior to and after defeating rival on Route 22... Oak will give you 5 Poke Balls after talking to him.

* Glitch:
In Red/Blue- One of the lines of his dialogue appears overlapped, instead of on a new script screen.
In Yellow- Line overlap was fixed but dialogue contains a typo instead.

Viridian City

* Glitch:
See that male NPC between the Poke Center and lake?... You can force him to move down and jump over the ledge, then you jump over the the ledge and land on him. xD
... you can do that to the lass NPC near Mount Moon Poke Center too.
[a id]Old Man[/a id]

Old Man, Viridian City- Red/Blue

* Glitch:
... That Old Man can be a real trouble maker when you don't want glitches in your game!

- Inorder for him to demonstrate how to catch a Pokemon, the game replaces your name with "OLD MAN"... technically making you the old man for that time. During that demonstration, your name then gets stored in the Pokemon encounter walk table instead.

- That weedle Old Man demonstrates catching causes some game confusion too, especially if you use Fly immediatly after. There's no grass tiles in cities, so data is never updated when you Fly between them. Normally, this wouldn't pose a problem. But if you immediatly Fly to an island, then Surf it's East Coast after, that part of coast is actually made up of grass tiles (not water).. which triggers a chain glitch.
... In Yellow however, they removed all data from the shore line, so this isn't possible.

- If you don't want glitches: Don't Worry, just head on over to Route 2 after the demonstration and don't look back!

- But if you do want glitches.....

* Exploits:
Spoiler:

Viridian Forest- Red/Blue

* Trick:
The grass tiles here are different from the other places in the game. These particular grass tiles are actually 2x2 tile blocks, affected by a glitch simular to shorline tiles. The grass sub-tiles on the left side controls the encounter list and the right side controls the encounter rate. But you also see grass sub-tiles with a "star" shape. All 2x2 tile blocks with a "star" shaped grass sub-tile on the bottom right corner has no encounter rate. To avoid wild Pokemon here, walk on the "star" grass tiles.[a id]Pewter Bypass[/a id]

Pewter Gym- Red/Blue

* Trick:
.... Ehh, you can skip this gym!

* Exploits:
Spoiler:

Cerulean City Poke Center- Red (probably Blue also)

* Glitch:
10/16/18- Lol this never happened to me in all the years of playing, until today... There's a male NPC near the PC and Cable Club NPC. That male NPC contains 2 glitches.
1) Glitched steps: After speaking to this NPC (who talks about Bill) and a for a fraction of a sec after talking, he may then face south and shuffle sideways like a fiddler crab. xD
2) Glitched walk pattern: That male just walked on top of the Cable Club NPC and I followed him to the restriced area behind the Cable Club desk to have a look around. XD

Cerulean City, prior to bike voucher- Red/Blue

* Glitch:
If you talk to the Bike Shop ower & exit shop menu using "B" button, after that.. talking to NPC's selecting or pressing "A" button observe objects will load text instantly without any delay between letters.
- This is corrected when opening/closing start menu (which may appear glitched), talking to the Bike Shop owner again, healing at a Poke Center, or loading a Yes/No text box.[a id]Quick Mew[/a id]

Cerulean City, prior to gym: Getting *Mew* Quick

* Exploit:
Spoiler:

Cerulean Gym

* Trick:
You can fish for wild Pokemon in this gym!
- In Yellow though, only Old Rod and Good Rod works in there.

* Bug:
The water tiles in Cerulean's Gym have wild Pokémon data programmed in there by mistake.
- Lorelei's room (E4) also contains this game bug, but was fixed in Yellow.[a id]0 ERROR[/a id]

Cerulean Gym, After Obtaining Surf

* Glitch:
If there's an NPC or pick up item on a walkable tile Right of a water tile, then you can stand on water just by using Surf.
Both the female NPC next to Misty and Misty herself are affected by this glitch. If you Surf and stand Left of the NPC (or item) then stand Left of the target, facing the target by looking right.. using Surf at that point won't give you a message stating "You can't get off". Instead, it will cause you to stand on a water tile.
- Cerulean Gym isn't the only place this happens. It can also happen on Route 12 (using pick item which requires Surf), Route 17 Cycling Road when using walking through walls (2 NPCs, Cue Balls need to be defeated 1st or Start menu won't open while standing on water), and Sea Route 21 (2 Fisherman, 1 on each platform).

Route 6

* Glitch: "0 ERROR"
Spoiler:

Vermilion, After You Get HM Cut- Red
*IMPORTANT*

* Glitch
Warning: If you cut down a tree, then standing in the spot where that tree was while saving, and restart your game... you softlock because now you're "standing on the tree" (stuck on a tree).
**The only way to correct this, at this early point in the game, is by having a Pokemon in your party who can use Teleport.
... This glitch occurs because engine for Red wouldn't store the data needed to remember that the tree has actually been cleared.

Vermilion Gym- Red/Blue

* Glitch:
Enter Vermilion Gym then walk directly Left, then Up.. so you're facing the bottom left trash can and press "A" to check it. while that text screen is up, one of the Gym Trainers will be misplaced then return to his normal spot once text box disappears.[a id]Save-Surf[/a id]

Vermilion City, after you're able to use Surf

* Returning S.S. Anne Exploit (Save-Surf exploit)
Spoiler:

Lavender Town, Pokemon Tower

* Trick:
Without a Silph Scope, you can still see a Ghost's true identity by viewing the stats of any Pokemon in your party then returning to battle screen. However, this is only a graphical glitch, it's still impossible to fight or catch it.

* Trick:
Using a Poke Doll on Ghost Marowak in Pokémon Tower, even without Silph Scope.. will cause it to permanently disappear.

* Glitch:
Seeing Gastly, Haunter or Cubone as a Ghost form will register it as seen in the Pokédex, even if you don't have the Silph Scope.
- But the unavoidable Pokemaniac has a Cubone in the first area of Rock Tunnel from Route 10... so you already got Cubone anyway. xD

Lavender Town, Pokemon Tower (after getting Silph Scope)

* Glitch:
After rescuing Mr. Fuji from Pokemon Tower, before he gives you the Poke Flute upon returning to his house, your character will be placed on the right side of exit mat. If you then try to leave by walking down, you'll be block from exiting. If you then either step up, left, or right.. the dorr will work again.

Celadon Dept. Store (4th floor?)- Red (probably Blue also)

* Glitch:
10/16/18- Lol huh, interesting... 2 NPCs in the same run, I guess this can affect multiple NPCs in different ways. xD
Glitched Steps: On the floor where Male NPC (on the right) talks about getting his girlfriend a Poke Doll. If you talk to him then press "A" for a split spec immediatelty after talking to him, he shuffles backwards like he's super-fly. xD

Celadon Department Store, Top Floor

* Trick:
If you have at least enough money for a Fresh Water (200), but not enough for a Soda Pop or Lemonade, the vending machines will still allow you to buy the more expensive drinks. Your money will just go down to 0 rather go into the negative numbers.

Celadon Hotel- Red/Blue

* Glitch:
There's a PC in here even though you can't see it. Go to the same spot where you would find it at any Poke Center and face up, you can access it there.

Celadon City, Game Corner

* Trick:
There's always one random slot machine assigned as a lucky slot machine each time you enter. Test using 3-4 (best using 4) coins on each one until you find the one that's "hot", and stick with that one for your session. A regular slot machine has 2/256 chance, but a lucky slot machine has 5/256 chance of a spin hitting a special 7 & bar mode "mode super". During "mode super", it's much more easy to win at the slots.

* Bug:
That was not supposed to happen in "mode super", it's bugged. The intent was the wheel advancing until a 7 appears on 1st wheel, or maximum of three rolls is reached. But due to a bug, the wheel will advance four times regardless of the symbols shown.

Celadon City, Rocket Hideout- Red/Blue

* Glitch:
If you're standing to the left of Team Rocket Grunt who has Lift Key and talks to him, Lift Key will appear underneath you when he drops it. After moving downward though, you can still collect it.
- This was fixed in Yellow, by having Grunt automatically drop Lift Key as soon as he was defeated.

Celadon City side, To Cycling Road (after Poke Flute & Snorlax)

* Glitch:
If you Bike Left until you're at the edge of the map, you'll see trees. If you then if you Bike Down until water is on the left of map's edge, then turn around and Bike Upwards again.. some of the map's edge is now water instead. xD

Cycling Road, Route 16/17

* Glitch:
There's a sign on the edge of Route 16. When you stand in front of the sign and press "A" to read it, it will display no text at all.
... This is due to the fact that you're technically on Route 17 while trying to read the sign which is on Route 16.[a id]2nd Chance Mew[/a id]

Saffron City: 2nd Chance *Mew*
(Plus Trainer-Fly/Mew Glitch in depth.)

* Exploits:
Spoiler:

Saffron City, Silph Co.- Red/Blue

* Glitch:
When you try to take the elevator up to 11F and exit it, you appear standing on the doors (in some cases also blocking your charater). If you then enter the elevator while standing on the doors, the exit mats inside elevator will work.. even if you don't move.
- This was fixed in Yellow.

Saffron City, Silph Co. (post Hall of Fame)

* Gitch:
If you glitched your Hall of Fame from a Glitched Pokemon (like MissingNo) by viewing it's stats.. accessing PC on the last floor of Silph Co, checking Hall of Fame, exiting, then logging out.. you'll end up finding yourself in a Glitch City of sorts. 0___0

Cycling Road Gate- Red/Blue

* Glitch:
Sometimes, when you're in Cycling Road's Gate, there may be a man standing on an object behind the guard.

Cycling Road- Red

* Glitch:
If you depotsit your Bicycle in the PC, certain gates which can be access after going through Cycling Road will be blocked by guards. They will restrict access to you even if you don't require a Bicycle to go there.

* Trick:
Even if you don't have your Bicycle on you, it's still possible to reach Cycling Road without it. Try holding down the "left" button on D-Pad while the guard attempts to preventing you from entering.. that's how I do it in Red. Left on D-Pad, overrides your character's "walk back to the right" movement, thus ignoring return movement.
When successful, once entering Cycling Road you'll automatically be riding a bicycle.. even if you don't have one on you!

Cycling Road Save Reset Bug- Red/Blue/Yellow cartridges
Spoiler:

Route 14

* Glitch:
Near the bottom of this route, you'll see a tree. If you cut this particular tree down, then walk 5 steps back from the west of where it was (so that spot, where it was, is at the edge of the screen), then walk back there... you'll be blocked by an invisible tree!
... but you can still use Cut, to cut it down. [a id]Walking Through Walls[/a id]

Safari Zone

*Walking Through Walls Exploit (2 Methods R/B/Y):
... Personally, cheat code way is how I prefer doing it now... far less work, a bit safer too. xD
Spoiler:

Safari Zone, after you can use Surf- Red/Blue

* Trick:
Safari Zone isn't the only place to run into Safari Pokemon when you can use Surf.. and you don't have to play by Safari's rules either. Enter & Exit the Safari Zone, then exit South of Fuchsia City and Surf to Seafoam Islands. Surf it's East Coast and you'll find them there! If you can also use Fly and already visited Cinnabar Island before, Fly to Cinnabar instead and Surf it's East Coast.. you'll find them there too!

... Also, any area that has grass and where you can use Fly... When you enter that area with grass tiles, the game will load up all the wild Pokemon data for it. If you Fly to Cinnabar Island after that, the wild Pokemon data from that last area is still in there in memory. Surfing it's East coast after that, the Pokemon from that last grass area will appear.[a id]Spinning[/a id]

Safari Zone, after obtaining 8th Badge- Red

* Spinning Exploit:
Spoiler:
[a id]Glitch City[/a id]

Safari Zone, with access to Teleport or Fly

*Glitch City Glitch Exploit:
Spoiler:

Cinnabar Gym

* Glitch:
If you step under gym's door without a Secret Key and try to access the door while female NPC is standing behind you the text screen will continuously popup stating "The door is locked...", and can't open the start menu, plus you can't move either... and you can't do anything about it until that darn NPC gets out of the way. xD

Cinnabar Gym- Red/Blue

* Glitch:
If you Surf on the east coast of Cinnabar Gym and don't have the Secret Key, a man will appear on the roof of that gym.

Cinnabar Island, Pokemon Mansion- Yellow

* Glitch:
3rd floor of Pokemon Mansion, where the Burglar NPC walks left and right.. You can position this NPC 1 tile above the 1x2 tile gap then have you're character stand 1 tile South below him to innitial battle from same location.
- But by doing so, you perminently soft lock your game after winning the battle if you have no direct access to Dig or an Escape Rope. That NPC will stop moving and rebooting doesn't even correct the glitch if you save after winning the battle. You can Black Out of course, but that will take some time.

Cinnabar Gym- Red/Blue

* Glitch:
Gym leader Blaine will use a Super potion on his Pokemon even if it already has max HP. xD

Cinnabar Island, Pokemon Lab- Red/Blue

* Glitch:
If you trade a Raichu for an Electrode with the old man, after the trade him receiving Raichu.. he'll say it evolved.
- This is due to Japanese Red version trade involving Kadabra instead.

Victory Road

* Glitch:
If you fall through a hole in Victory Road while riding Bicycle, upon landing you'll no longer be riding it.. but the Bicycle them music keeps playing. It returns to normal after entering battle, changing floors, leaving Victory Road, or reseting the game.
- This sort of glitch also occurs in Seafoam Island's caves too.

Indigo Plateau[a id]other[/a id]

* Glitch:
In your battle against your rival, if you use a party Pokemon and it evolves after defeating him... Indigo Plateau will play no music at all until Professor Oak come out to congratulate you.

Other 1st Gen Glitches
Spoiler:
[a id]Glitches & Errors: by Move[/a id]

Bugs/Glitches During Battle

Glitches & Errors: by Move
Spoiler:
[a id]Move Effect Glitches[/a id]

Move Effect Gitches
Spoiler:
[a id]Other in-battle Errors & Glitches[/a id]

Other in-battle Errors & Glitches
Spoiler:

*Return to Index*

Last edited:

Amy May

Banned
Years
  • Age 39
  • Seen Nov 13, 2021
2nd Gen: Bugs/Glitches/Exploits

2nd Generation
working on it....

Gold/Silver/Crystal (USA)

Glitch Carryover/Crossover From 1st Gen
Many glitches, originating from 1st Gen, carried over to 2nd Gen gaming.
... See spoiler.
Spoiler:

Crystal Exclusive Glitches
Spoiler:

Glitches/Bugs affecting G/S/C
(unless stated otherwise)

General Bugs/Glitches
Spoiler:

Catch Rate & Ball Bugs/Glitches
.... ugh, if GF only got this right the first time.. ohhh well.
Spoiler:

Move Glitches
Spoiler:

Battle Glitches
Spoiler:

.... Still working on it!!!

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Oct 2, 2018
Oh was the red bar ignoring sound effects unintentional?
It is used in "glitchless" speedruns as it speeds up battles

Amy May

Banned
Years
  • Age 39
  • Seen Nov 13, 2021
Oh was the red bar ignoring sound effects unintentional?
It is used in "glitchless" speedruns as it speeds up battles

Yeah it was. :)

Actually, i used to time my speed runs by it back in the day on top of that! :D

I think it has more to do with the components in Game Boy system, because the tone itself would drown out the sounds and interfere with game intonation.

... probably why it doesn't work that way at ALL in my emulator. :)

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Oct 2, 2018
I just thought the pool for sound effects couldnt handle playing any more sounds in addition to it or something
Gamefreak knew though ofcourse, but its hardly a game breaking glitch

Did you know for the mew glitch, the opposing pokemons attack stat determines the level of the pokemon you encounter btw? So you can use level manipulation aswell
But its all part of the same glitch

Have you even done like a backwards gym run?
Can be quite fun

Amy May

Banned
Years
  • Age 39
  • Seen Nov 13, 2021
I just thought the pool for sound effects couldnt handle playing any more sounds in addition to it or something
Gamefreak knew though ofcourse, but its hardly a game breaking glitch

Did you know for the mew glitch, the opposing pokemons attack stat determines the level of the pokemon you encounter btw? So you can use level manipulation aswell
But its all part of the same glitch

Have you even done like a backwards gym run?
Can be quite fun

In all honesty, most glitches in games aren't game breaking... simply just minor flaws. :)

Yeah i actually mentioned it in multiple places in various ways (but it is in 2nd chance Mew section in spoiler section), but in other places using it more in concunjuction with underflow glitch to get a level 1 jump to 100 with little effort. :)

i have the tendency to do them in a jumbled up order tbh... xD

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Oct 2, 2018
Oh sorry about that, i did read quite a lot
Its just, theres quite a lot more to read you know

You gotta admit though, the game breaking ones are the most interesting arent they :P

Thats what i usually do these days too, i mostly do them to get to places quicker
Man these game are broken if you know about the cracks in the code

Amy May

Banned
Years
  • Age 39
  • Seen Nov 13, 2021
Oh sorry about that, i did read quite a lot
Its just, theres quite a lot more to read you know

You gotta admit though, the game breaking ones are the most interesting arent they :P

Thats what i usually do these days too, i mostly do them to get to places quicker
Man these game are broken if you know about the cracks in the code

Yeah I know. :)
... I think the sad part is, I still didn't put in everything i was planning to because it was turning into such a long and daunting post, slightly set up like a file cabinet. XD

Ohhh yeah. for sure! xD

Very well done, considering how restricted GB is... but yeah, that's so true. xD
... it's especially beyond belief for someone like me, because ALL I SEE ARE GAME FLAWS... even when I don't wanna see them! XD
... Then often use them to spice up the game. xD

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Oct 2, 2018
Ah tata
Dont worry about it
This was actually exactly what i was looking for signing up here

I think youd love the elder scrolls games ;)

Amy May

Banned
Years
  • Age 39
  • Seen Nov 13, 2021
Update:

I'm gonna take a break from my nightmare thread, for the time being & also added a poll regarding what to do next.
- The next thing I work on, regarding this thread, will be based on the popular vote.

Last edited:

Lucifer

Fallen1
Years
Amy May said:
"Move Swapping"
If you have Ditto Transform into another pokemon, then switch around copied moves with "Select" button.. after that battle, Ditto won't have move Transform anymore. Instead, in the slot where Transform was will be one of the moves you switch into that slot. This also works on any Pokemon by having them use Mimic on Transform (as bypass).

This is interesting.
I've only known how to get a glitch move using a Pidgey on route 4.
Its name is entirely glitch characters, it's type is 'cooltrainer' and its accuracy is scarce (much like Drill Peck or High Jump Kick for example) but when it's successful it manifests as two flashes before doing damage.

If memory serves, at least this particular variation doesn't work in Yellow.

Amy May

Banned
Years
  • Age 39
  • Seen Nov 13, 2021
This is interesting.
I've only known how to get a glitch move using a Pidgey on route 4.
Its name is entirely glitch characters, it's type is 'cooltrainer' and its accuracy is scarce (much like Drill Peck or High Jump Kick for example) but when it's successful it manifests as two flashes before doing damage.

If memory serves, at least this particular variation doesn't work in Yellow.

Yeah actually I was thinking about adding cooltrainer in there tbh but decided against it because it opens up a dangerous can of worms... there's a lot I left out of 1st Gen section for that reason. xD

Well you can also get glitch moves onto regular Gen 1 Pokemon that learn a Gen 2 only move during it's trade evolution stage, then trading it back to Gen 1 after it evolves. Most glitch moves obtained in this way is fine to use. But in the case of Haunter-->Gengar, I know one of the Gen 2 only moves it learns is a Gen 1 Super Glitch move.

Demonstration using Graveler from my Red:

1) Trade level 34 Graveler from Red to Gold/Silver.

2) After Graveler evolves to Golem in Gold/Silver, let it learn Rollout.

3) After Golem learns Rollout in Gold/Silver, send it back to Red.

4) At this point, Golem's move Rollout will become glitch move "TM05"

Last edited:

Lucifer

Fallen1
Years
Yeah actually I was thinking about adding cooltrainer in there tbh but decided against it because it opens up a dangerous can of worms... there's a lot I left out of 1st Gen section for that reason. xD

Understandable.
One thing, however, that should be added for the same reason is when walking through walls or floating in the air, AVOID the grass on either side of Pallet Town.
When I was a teenager I accessed this area in Yellow via floating in the air using a Gameshark and the millisecond a Pokemon encounter was triggered the game would crash.
I tried it at least three times with the same result.
Back in the day, it was rumored that the entire Pokedex including Mew and Mewtwo and even some "PokeGods" (which I believe was just a word used to refer to Gen 2 Pokemon) could be encountered there.

It's astounding that as far as I'm aware (It's been a while since I've turned it on) my Yellow cartridge is still running. It's over 10-years-old and has been through Gameshark Hell.

Well you can also get glitch moves onto regular Gen 1 Pokemon that learn a Gen 2 only move during it's trade evolution stage, then trading it back to Gen 1 after it evolves. Most glitch moves obtained in this way is fine to use. But in the case of Haunter-->Gengar, I know one of the Gen 2 only moves it learns is a Gen 1 Super Glitch move.

Demonstration using Graveler from my Red:

1) Trade level 34 Graveler from Red to Gold/Silver.

2) After Graveler evolves to Golem in Gold/Silver, let it learn Rollout.

3) After Golem learns Rollout in Gold/Silver, send it back to Red.

4) At this point, Golem's move Rollout will become glitch move "TM05"

That makes sense.
It's been said that glitch Pokemon themselves (I believe with the exception of MissingNo.) are Gen 2 Pokemon. Or---well I know I read this theory somewhere.

What's a Super Glitch move?

Last edited:

Amy May

Banned
Years
  • Age 39
  • Seen Nov 13, 2021
Understandable.
One thing, however, that should be added for the same reason is when walking through walls or floating in the air, AVOID the grass on either side of Pallet Town.
When I was a teenager I accessed this area in Yellow via floating in the air using a Gameshark and the millisecond a Pokemon encounter was triggered the game would crash.
I tried it at least three times with the same result.

Oh, thank you for bringing that up! :)
- Yes, that's true and that also goes for any glitch method of walking through walls. I remembered to put in Saffron City surrounding trees but completely forgot about Pallet town grass edge. I'll add that to my 1st Gen postings where it's needed. :)
- Both GameShark and glitch walking through walls can also trigger Glitch City glitch (depending on location). The locations vary between each method. I'll need to add a Glitch City glitch section also.

Back in the day, it was rumored that the entire Pokedex including Mew and Mewtwo and even some "PokeGods" (which I believe was just a word used to refer to Gen 2 Pokemon) could be encountered there.

Yeah i heard that too.. man, that would have been so cool. xD

It's astounding that as far as I'm aware (It's been a while since I've turned it on) my Yellow cartridge is still running. It's over 10-years-old and has been through Gameshark Hell.

I never own an action replay device before (unless using a friends) but yeah it's amazing how solid the games itself are. I used to do some real insane stuff (plus insane runs) in my Red cartridge. When I started it up a couple years ago, it was still running with the last game I ran after raiding ram city and finished map looping it. xD

It's been said that glitch Pokemon themselves (I believe with the exception of MissingNo.) are Gen 2 Pokemon. Or---well I know I read this theory somewhere.
Well Time Capsule exploit with 2nd Gen pokes sent to 1st Gen does work that way... that's how most glitch pokes can be obtained. But that also requires tricking 2nd Gen by using a glitch Pokemon in party with cloaking capabilities, equating to 1st Gen's 'M (FF) aka "Charizard 'M" & Q ◣. Tbh, something I probably won't add when I make 2nd Gen section.

It wouldn't suprised me through, in making of 1st gen that they already may have been planning out 2nd Gen poke (using 1st Gen's framework) which then turned into residual data in the end.

What's a Super Glitch move?

Ah, welcome to my 1st Gen filing cabinet... xD

It's under-

Saffron City: 2nd Chance *Mew*--> The Logic Behind This--> Food For Thought.. Before "Experimenting"--> "Super Glitch"

... shortcut :)

"Super Glitch"
Spoiler:

Last edited:

Lucifer

Fallen1
Years
Amy May said:
Oh, thank you for bringing that up! :)
- Yes, that's true and that also goes for any glitch method of walking through walls. I remembered to put in Saffron City surrounding trees but completely forgot about Pallet town grass edge. I'll add that to my 1st Gen postings where it's needed. :)
- Both GameShark and glitch walking through walls can also trigger Glitch City glitch (depending on location). the locations vary between each method. I'll need to add a Glitch City glitch section also.

I love Glitch City. I exploited every variation possible.
Some locations don't produce a Glitch City (ex. Cerulean City) and some produce variations that aren't very navigatable (ex. Pallet Town).

Amy May said:
I never own an action replay device before (unless using a friends) but yeah it's amazing how solid the games itself are. I used to do some real insane stuff (plus insane runs) in my Red cartridge. When I started it up a couple years ago, it was still running with the last game I ran after raiding ram city and finished map looping it. xD

The Playstation 2 AR I bought a few months ago is the first cheat device I've owned since the two GBC Gamesharks I had as a teenager.
I Gamesharked the hell out of Red and Blue as well which also held out, blue was even stronger than the GS itself, hence the reason I owned a second.
I bought the second after the first one corrupted when I, it took me years to realize, made an incorrect attempt at applying the code to battle Oak. The game crashed and the GS suffered the equivalent of a Pokemon cartridge's save battery dying. The game however survived.

Amy May said:
It wouldn't suprised me through, in making of 1st gen that they already may have been planning out 2nd Gen poke (using 1st Gen's framework) which then turned into residual data in the end.

There were rumors and phony cheat processes galore for obtaining non-Pokedex Pokemon in Gen 1. The most popular: PIkablu.
Originally this Pokemon was believed to be a member of the Pikachu family that somehow, irrationally did a complete type transition from electric to water, to the point that one of the said methods of obtaining it was to use a water stone on Pikachu or Raichu.
The dialogue goof-up of the trader on Cinnabar Island (who traded you an Electrode for a Raichu and told you the Raichu evolved) was said to be evidence of Pikablu's identity and existence.

Pikablu turned out to be Gen 2's Merril.

Ah, so many fake rumors; getting Mew, getting Mewthree, getting Togepi, getting Yoshi!
So many memories.

Last edited by a moderator:

Amy May

Banned
Years
  • Age 39
  • Seen Nov 13, 2021
Update:

Added a Quick Link Index (for exploits & misc. glitches) to 1st Gen post for easy navigation.
... I hope this helps. :)

Last edited:
Back