The PokéCommunity Forums Pokémon Gaming Spin-Offs and Mobile Games
Pokemon Trading Card Game (GBC)

Spin-Offs and Mobile Games Eager to find out the latest Pokémon Go news? Or maybe feel like discussing why Miror B. was the best character in Pokémon Colosseum? This is the place to discuss all Pokémon spin-off and mobile games!

Old September 1st, 2015 (7:38 PM).

Nature: Impish

Experience all the fun of the regular Pokémon Trading Card Game on your Game Boy Color system! With innovative rules and many cards to play with, it breaks from tradition and changes the way you face an opponent. Gamers with Pokémon knowledge will feel right at home with many of the concepts, but new fans will be able to pick up and play the game with ease, too. Whether you're a seasoned Trainer or new to Pokémon, you'll love the challenge of Pokémon Trading Card Game.

Pokémon Trading Card Game lets you take on friends via the infrared game port on the Game Boy Color, or compete in challenges against computer opponents. When you're through playing, you can trade cards you've earned with buddies. Use these cards to build more-intricate decks, and then test your strategies against your pals. Then trade cards again to keep getting better!

Did/do you ever play this, either the original or on 3DS Virtual Console? If you play the TCG, how does it compare? Would you like a new version?

I've never gotten into the TCG but I do like the idea a lot. I've tried playing the TCG Online but it's too much for my iPad to handle. I did play the GBC game but never completed it and play it from time to time on VC but am still yet to complete it. That said, I do think it's a great game, I love the places you visit and the NPCs and the adventure you're on! It is a shame that you can't trade on VC though.

I would absolutely love a new version for 3DS that incorporated StreetPass, SpotPass and trading! It would be a great way to get the TCG experience but keep things all in one place, be considerably cheaper and have the extra fun of being incorporated into a game story! I won't hold my breath though, I've a strong feeling that they won't release a sequel as the TCG ecosystem is so vast and I would assume profitable!
Old September 1st, 2015 (9:34 PM).
Last Shadow

Nature: Docile
    I do played it and it was very enjoyable, probably finish the game in a few minutes. If I wanna enjoy great pokemon TGC I would just use red shark instead the site because freemiums everywhere.

I doubt there's a sequel, but was not translated by them only by the fans it was called "Here Comes team GR!" on the sequel more cards, more enemies also play as a girl.

♥Pair: Starrywindy♥ Travel Log
    Old September 2nd, 2015 (2:40 AM).
    ASTRO

Nature: Relaxed
    I still have this for GBC, I remember playing it so much and becoming so addicted! They re-released it on eShop for 3DS a few months back, of course I downloaded it. 8)
    Old October 1st, 2015 (8:27 PM).
    Akame Marukawa of Iyotono

Nature: Gentle
      I got the game when I was in 8th grade, about 14 years after it originally came out. I really liked it because I was the only one of my friends who knew how to play the card game and I had nobody to play it with other than myself.

I liked how things like damage and status conditions were handled by a computer and I didn't have to go through the trouble of doing all the in between turn stuff myself. I beat the whole game once, then the battery got messed up because it wasn't secured down all the way (I got it used and the original owner had replaced the battery), but I didn't really mind starting over because I felt like it wasn't too difficult to begin over again. I still pick it up and play it occasionally. I find it fun even now.
      "The human sacrificed himself, to save the Pokemon. I pitted them against each other, but not until they set aside their differences did I see the true power they all share deep inside. I see now that the circumstances of one's birth are irrelevant; it is what you do with the gift of life that determines who you are." -Mewtwo
      Old October 2nd, 2015 (3:38 AM).
      Ridiculously unsure

Nature: Timid
      I only played this a few years ago and I did quite enjoy it. It's got very little depth or story so it's a rather short game. I would never have bought it when it first came out but curiosity and boredom got the best of me and I played it :P All in all, a game with a ton of potential. A sequel would be nice with updated cards and graphics :P
      Old October 2nd, 2015 (4:15 AM).
      Sir Zangoose

Nature: Calm
      I should try this game again sometime, I played it once but I'm pretty terrible at children's card games so I never got far.
      Old October 2nd, 2015 (8:20 AM).
      Ridiculously unsure

Quote:
      Originally Posted by Laguna View Post
      I should try this game again sometime, I played it once but I'm pretty terrible at children's card games so I never got far.
      Children's card games? The TCG is as, if not more, complex than the video games are now (and then, if compared to video games of that time) so that's hardly a fair statement :P
      Old October 2nd, 2015 (8:25 AM).
      Sir Zangoose

Quote:
      Originally Posted by KetsuekiR View Post
      Children's card games? The TCG is as, if not more, complex than the video games are now (and then, if compared to video games of that time) so that's hardly a fair statement :P
      Well it's not like I don't know how to play them, it's just that I'm not very good at making usable decks and stuff.

I did try the game out again earlier today and I actually kicked everyone's butt, I have no idea how that happened.
      Old October 2nd, 2015 (8:34 AM).
      Ridiculously unsure

Quote:
      Well it's not like I don't know how to play them, it's just that I'm not very good at making usable decks and stuff.

I did try the game out again earlier today and I actually kicked everyone's butt, I have no idea how that happened.
      That's a fair point. It's quite hard to build a good deck but that's all the more reason why it's not just a children's card game :P

Maybe you're naturally good at it :P Give it another chance, maybe you'll like it xD
      Old October 2nd, 2015 (8:38 AM).
      Sir Zangoose

Quote:
      Originally Posted by KetsuekiR View Post
      That's a fair point. It's quite hard to build a good deck but that's all the more reason why it's not just a children's card game :P

Maybe you're naturally good at it :P Give it another chance, maybe you'll like it xD
      Maybe I will. I'm not spending copious amounts of money on children's trading cards though.
      Old October 2nd, 2015 (1:34 PM).
      Akame Marukawa of Iyotono

Nature: Gentle
        Quote:
        I'm not spending copious amounts of money on children's trading cards though.
        I think this is why I liked the TCG Gameboy game a lot. I only had to spend money on buying the game (which was only like ten bucks on Amazon) and I had all the cards I would ever need because they were in the game.

I do collect IRL Pokemon cards, but I usually only get them as Birthday/Christmas gifts with the occasional purchase of like one booster pack every so often (and by that I mean like once every six months). It's a pretty expensive hobby, which is one benefit of only having to pay money once for a game and then being done with transactions.
        "The human sacrificed himself, to save the Pokemon. I pitted them against each other, but not until they set aside their differences did I see the true power they all share deep inside. I see now that the circumstances of one's birth are irrelevant; it is what you do with the gift of life that determines who you are." -Mewtwo
        Old July 29th, 2018 (6:58 AM).
        Banned

Is still very enjoyable for me to play

Quick Reply