• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Opposite Gender Characters

ImMrRoboto

That's MISTER Roboto to you!
Years
How often do you make characters of the opposite gender?

I kinda just realized that all of the characters I've made recently with the exception of Vincent Morrigan have been female. It's not that this is a problem, but I'm just curious if it's normal. When I first came to this site, I exclusively made male characters because I thought it would be awkward to Rp a female character, but now it seems like I hardly ever make male characters.

Years
I tend to have about a 50/50 ratio. I never got why people think it would be awkward to play an opposite gender character since it has little bearing on personality.

Junier

Fake Friends Forever (´・ω・`)
Years
  • Age 22
  • Seen Dec 5, 2019
Most of my characters rn are of the same gender. I think I generally prefer writing girls because it feels more satisfying to differentiate them? Like I feel in-general female characters tend to fall victim to archetype more than males do in how their dialogue's written and in how they're portrayed. So it's more of a creative exercise for me, I guess.

PastelPhoenix

How did this even happen?
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Nov 20, 2022
I flip between making a lot of one gender, and a lot of another. I personally think you should learn how to write both, especially if you have plans for anything involving solo writing.

Trev

[span="font-size: 8px; color: white;"][font="Monts
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Nov 15, 2023
I actually used to predominantly play female characters. I was under the impression that I related to them better and could therefore write them better than men (I was completely wrong - a lot of my writing was quite problematic...)

Nowadays I tend to vary it up. I do usually play primarily as gay males (write what you know, right?), but sometimes I play as women. Haven't written a non-binary character yet, should probably do that at some point.

Last edited:
Years
Depends on if I have an idea or not. In my spare time, I look for pictures I like, specifically ones that are interesting or visually stand out. I find more pictures of females I like than males, so I have more inspiration to play as a woman.

Artists! Please make more interesting looking men! There are more than enough generic guys on the market.

Junier

Fake Friends Forever (´・ω・`)
Years
  • Age 22
  • Seen Dec 5, 2019
^ Straight up, And black guys especially, there's a serious drought

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Apr 2, 2024
I think I write girls 75% of time, but not for any particular reason. I have sometimes finished a SU and the simply changed the gender to make a more unexpected character :) Usually doesn'g give as funny results as one might think, as I think sex or gender is seldom a defining point of my characters.

Last edited:
Back