• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Rain Dance Team Help

$lowking

King of the Hill
Years
Hello PC. Haven't posted here in a while due to being busy. But this summer I have found some time to game. Anywho I decided to build a new Rain Dance when I found that one of my favorite Pokémon got a major boost with the Drizzle Ablity. As many of you may have guessed, that Pokémon is none other than Politoed. Unfortunatly, building a RD Team is more diffcult than I thought. Actually only got 2 Pokémon done... So I decided to turn to you guys. Heres what I have so far:

Politoed @ Choice Scarf
Drizzle Ability
Modest Nature
EV Spread: 252 Spe / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Hidden Power Grass
Focus Blast
Ice Beam
Hydro Pump

Jolteon @ Life Orb
Volt Absorb Ability
Timid Nature
EV Spread: 252 Spe / 252 SpA / 4 Def
Hidden Power Ice
Volt Switch
Thunder
Shadow Ball

Aaannnddd... That's it. I know it's not a lot, but I just can't get any ideas... Rust I suppose. Well, what should I add/ change. I was thinking a Specs Scizor. What do you think?

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
Aaannnddd... That's it. I know it's not a lot, but I just can't get any ideas... Rust I suppose. Well, what should I add/ change. I was thinking a Specs Scizor. What do you think?

Uh while I don't have much to add to the team building process other than something like Rotom-W to help Jolteon w/ ground attacks (plus Ferro to help out with grass attacks on either rotom-w or politoed, plus it's good in rain can set up SR for you and steel is always useful, especially in rain where Dragonite/Kingdra etc can be abused better - and rain is one of the most common weather types to face sooo) and is generally good in rain, I just kinda wanna advise against a specs Scizor. Very uncommon (wellll I've never seen it, but really, with base 55 sPA it isn't the best candidate for specs) but honestly you're better off with Choice Band/Swords Dance sets. The latter two defeat its threats much better than a specs set would and the fact that physical Scizor is amazing.

$lowking

King of the Hill
Years

Uh while I don't have much to add to the team building process other than something like Rotom-W to help Jolteon w/ ground attacks (plus Ferro to help out with grass attacks on either rotom-w or politoed, plus it's good in rain can set up SR for you and steel is always useful, especially in rain where Dragonite/Kingdra etc can be abused better - and rain is one of the most common weather types to face sooo) and is generally good in rain, I just kinda wanna advise against a specs Scizor. Very uncommon (wellll I've never seen it, but really, with base 55 sPA it isn't the best candidate for specs) but honestly you're better off with Choice Band/Swords Dance sets. The latter two defeat its threats much better than a specs set would and the fact that physical Scizor is amazing.
Oops, I meant banded Scizor. My bad. Thanks for the help.

Years
  • Seen Apr 22, 2013
I haven't played competitively in over a year so I may not be much help, but perhaps more bulky Pokemon like Ferrothorn, Rotom-W, and Jirachi will provide some overall roundness to your team.

$lowking

King of the Hill
Years
I decided to go with Shed Shell Ferrothorn, the previously listed Politoed and Jolteon, Sub + Dragon Dance Kingdra, Bulky Ludicolo, and Life Orb Scizor. Sorry I didn't go to indepth on these, but you can always look on Smogon if you want. ^_^ I'm feelin' a bit lazy.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
Swift Swim + Drizzle is banned, FYI, so that takes Kingdra out of the equation.

Also, we need to see your full team with moves, EVs, etc. when you finally put the team together.

$lowking

King of the Hill
Years
Swift Swim + Drizzle is banned, FYI, so that takes Kingdra out of the equation.

Also, we need to see your full team with moves, EVs, etc. when you finally put the team together.

Yup, I knew the combination was banned. Guess I just forgot. Although it does bring up the question; "Why is Drizzle + Swift Swim banned while Drought + Chlorophyll is allowed?" ... Well? Anyways, I wasn't able to post my detailed sets since I've been on a mobile device all day. I'll get that up soon. :-) I love Kingdra's set though... Do you think it could work with the Sniper ability? (Damp is pretty bad considering that Explosion/SD is pretty rare in the current metagame.)

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
Yup, I knew the combination was banned. Guess I just forgot. Although it does bring up the question; "Why is Drizzle + Swift Swim banned while Drought + Chlorophyll is allowed?" ... Well? Anyways, I wasn't able to post my detailed sets since I've been on a mobile device all day. I'll get that up soon. :-) I love Kingdra's set though... Do you think it could work with the Sniper ability? (Damp is pretty bad considering that Explosion/SD is pretty rare in the current metagame.)

Drizzle + Swift Swim is banned because rain was easy to abuse and Swift Swimmers were free to wreak havoc on opposing teams. I think why Drought + Chlorophyll isn't banned is because Sun isn't an easy weather to maintain due to the presence of rain and sandstorm teams. Ninetales is also faster than both Tyranitar and Politoed so its weather will always be replaced by sandstorm or rain respectively when both hit the field at once (the slower Pokemon always gets its weather effect when 2 weather inducers are sent into battle).

$lowking

King of the Hill
Years
Drizzle + Swift Swim is banned because rain was easy to abuse and Swift Swimmers were free to wreak havoc on opposing teams. I think why Drought + Chlorophyll isn't banned is because Sun isn't an easy weather to maintain due to the presence of rain and sandstorm teams. Ninetales is also faster than both Tyranitar and Politoed so its weather will always be replaced by sandstorm or rain respectively when both hit the field at once (the slower Pokemon always gets its weather effect when 2 weather inducers are sent into battle).

Ahh, I see. Thank you for that. Anyways, what do you think about keeping Kingdra and just switching its ability? Any chance of that working?

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
Ahh, I see. Thank you for that. Anyways, what do you think about keeping Kingdra and just switching its ability? Any chance of that working?

No. Kingdra should use Swift Swim as its ability so that it can use opposing rain for itself.

Find other rain abusers, then post the team.

Years
Since Drizzle + Swift Swim is banned, I would suggest Another water type give it a damp rock and rain Dance. Im not a big rain team user, im more of a sun teamer but hope i helped :P

$lowking

King of the Hill
Years
Okay, so this is what a have. Please help ASAP. I really don't like my current team. (It's OU)

Ferrothorn @ Shed Shell
IV Spread: Flawless (If I end up keeping him, I will change his Speed IV's to 0)
EV Spread: 252 HP / 88 Def / 168 SpD
Nature: Relaxed
Ability: Iron Barbs
-Spikes
-Leech Seed
-Gyro Ball
-Power Whip

Politoed @ Choice Scarf
IV Spread: Whatever it is for HP Grass
EV Spread: 252 SpA / 252 Spe / 4 SpD
Nature: Modest
Ability: Drizzle
-Hydro Pump
-HP Grass
-Ice Beam
-Focus Blast

Jolteon @ Life Orb
IV Spread: Whatever it is for HP Ice
EV Spread: 252 Spe / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Nature: Timid
Ability: Volt Absorb
-Volt Switch
-Thunder
-HP Ice
-Shadow Ball

Ludicolo @ Leftovers
IV Spread: Flawless
EV Spread: 160 HP / 252 SpA / 96 Spe
Nature: Modest
Ability: Rain Dish
-Toxic
-Scald
-Ice Beam
-Giga Drain

Scizor @ Life Orb
IV Spread: Flawless
EV Spread: 252 HP / 40 Atk / 216 SpD
Nature: Adamant
Ability: Technician
-Roost
-Swords Dance
-Bullet Punch
-Bug Bite

The last spot it open to suggestions. First was Kingdra, but I was reminded that Drizzle + Swift Swim is banned. Then I tried CM + Wish Jirachi, but I hated that, for it did not fit my play style.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
Change Ferrothorn's Speed IV to 0. That way, Gyro Ball will hit at its hardest against fast opponents.

Ludicolo can use SubSeed in the rain to take advantage of Rain Dish as well:
-Substitute
-Leech Seed
-Protect/Toxic
-Scald/Giga Drain/Ice Beam
Nature: Bold
EVs: 252 HP/216 Def/40 SDef
Item: Leftovers

If you don't like having entry hazards on your field, you can use Tentacruel as your Rapid Spinner:
-Scald
-Toxic Spikes
-Rapid Spin
-Protect/Ice Beam
EVs: 252 HP/240 Def/16 Spe

or
-Substitute
-Toxic
-Rapid Spin
-Scald
EVs: 252 HP/240 Def/16 Spe

Other options to consider in the last slot are Tornadus-Therian, Dragonite and SubCM Jirachi:

Tornadus-T:
-Hurricane
-Superpower/Focus Blast
-U-turn
-Rain Dance/Taunt/Hidden Power (Ground)
Nature: Naive/Timid
EVs: 4 Atk/252 SAtk/252 Spe
Item: Life Orb

Dragonite:
-Hurricane
-Aqua Tail
-ExtremeSpeed
-Superpower/Roost
Nature: Rash/Mild/Quiet
EVs: 252 Atk/252 SAtk/4 Spe
Item: Leftovers/Life Orb
Abiliy: Multiscale

or
-Hurricane
-Thunder
-Dragon Tail
-Roost
Nature: Calm
EVs: 252 HP/108 SAtk/148 SDef
Ability: Multiscale

Jirachi:
-Substitute
-Calm Mind
-Thunder
-Water Pulse/Psyshock/Flash Cannon
Nature: Timid
EVs: 252 HP/4 SAtk/252 Spe

$lowking

King of the Hill
Years
Thank you so much! This will help tremendously! For the last slot I am deciding between the Toxic Spikes Cruel and the Extreme Speed Dragonite. I'll make up my mind eventually, but thank you!

Back