• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Ultimate Monotype Challenge

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Feb 12, 2010
i might as well give a status report to

so far i had a.....

Gravlar lvl 28

Sandslash lvl 26

It took me a while to beat misty she keep OHKOing me with starmie so i had to use self destruct with gravlar when misty used a x defend first go

now im on route 11 i think

Years
  • Seen Apr 27, 2010
Current Stats:

Player: Malfoy
Badges: 6
Pokedex: 9
Time: 7:56
Type: Dragon
Current Version: Emerald

Current Team:

Salamence Level 52
:t373:
Headbutt
Flamethrower
Dragonbreath
Fly

Nature: Mild
Ability: Rock Head

Vibrava Level 36
:t329:
Crunch
Dragonbreath
Faint Attack
Dig

Nature: Rash
Ability: Levitate

HM Slave: Linoone: Surf, Cut, Rock Smash

Not a lot to say here, other than I've started up again so I can be (I think) the first to finish the Dragon monotype. I'm training hard with Gabby and Ty. Once Vibrava evolves into Flygon, I should be good to sweep the rest of the game and continue on into Gen IV.

Years
I'm also pretty sure you will finish the mono Dragon before me, since I have not even managed yet to trade my Gyarados and Makuhita from my last Ruby game over to another file, so I can't even start yet...
I hate VBA Link...

And not to mention how slow I currently play on generation 4 games, I still didn't continue on Bug just because I can't listen to music while playing a DS emulator....

mattman324

Run to the hills, run for your lives!
Years
Current Stats:

Player: Malfoy
Badges: 6
Pokedex: 9
Time: 7:56
Type: Dragon
Current Version: Emerald

Current Team:

Salamence Level 52
:t373:
Headbutt
Flamethrower
Dragonbreath
Fly

Nature: Mild
Ability: Rock Head

Vibrava Level 36
:t329:
Crunch
Dragonbreath
Faint Attack
Dig

Nature: Rash
Ability: Levitate

HM Slave: Linoone: Surf, Cut, Rock Smash

Not a lot to say here, other than I've started up again so I can be (I think) the first to finish the Dragon monotype. I'm training hard with Gabby and Ty. Once Vibrava evolves into Flygon, I should be good to sweep the rest of the game and continue on into Gen IV.

That's Intimidate, right? Salamence drops Rock Head after it evolves.

Suzume

Fire Fist
Years
I'm glad this thread is still going. :D I started Normal challenge over a year ago, but when I bought Diamond (and later Platinum) I had other stuff to do. Now I finally found my old Gameboy Color again and remembered this challenge. I'm still on the challenge~

When I turned the game on I didn't remember what I was doing last, so I went to beat Koga first. Then I realized I was in the middle of beating Silph Co. so I went there and after a short confusement with the warp panels found my way through and beat Giovanni. After that it was Sabrina's time to meet her loss. I found my way through Seafoam Islands (why are Pokemon like Seal, Horsea and Shellder appearing on the ground?) and made it into the Cinnabar Island. Right now I'm in the middle of the what's-it-called-Fire mansion.

I looked at my previous post and found out I had made a desicion to use only one TM for one Pokemon. Well, screw that, I don't want to do it like that anymore. xD Besides, I already taught my Pokemon some HMs while not remembering that desicion, so...

My team:

Totoro (Snorlax)
Level 42
Spr_1b_143.png

Body Slam
Amnesia
Rest
Surf

Centaur (Tauros)
Level 42
Spr_1b_128.png

Stomp
Tackle
Earthquake
Leer

Raticate
Level 41
Spr_1b_020.png

Hyper Fang
Focus Energy
Dig
Thunderbolt

Kanga (Kangaskhan)
Level 42
Spr_1b_115.png

Strength
Mega Punch
Bite
Leer

Pixie (Clefable <3)
Level 41
Spr_1b_036.png

Doubleslap
Metronome
Sing
Psychic

Fearow
Level 41
Spr_1b_022.png

Drill Peck
Fly
Leer
Mirror Move

Charmageddon

Charizard has evolved into ^
Years
  • Seen Apr 25, 2016
Huzzah! Exams are over, and I am free to chill out and play a little Pokemon. Sign me up for Fighting, please!

I've already started on Yellow, I named myself O-Chul (a cookie if you get the reference) and my rival Chuck (as in Norris), caught a Mankey and named it Ape Insane. Me 'n' Ape Insane headed down to the Pokemon League, a little ahead of ourselves to be honest, and promptly got our asses wupped by Chuck. Damn Spearow. I grinded a little, and next time that Spearow went down to a couple of Scratches. Eevee was a non-challenge against Low Kick. Ape Insane got steadily more badass from then on, shattering Brock's rocks into pebbles.

I might catch myself another Mankey, as I'm not gonna be able to get another Pokemon until Rock Tunnel, and if I solo with Primeape until then he's gonna be overlevelled, and I hate being overlevelled. Sigh... well, at least Fighting-types suck in Gen I, so it'll still be a challenge.

raekuul

Team Anorith Grunt
Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Jan 13, 2017
Charma: Planning on figuring out the enemy movesets one saving throw at a time?

Flamboyant

Girlpowershipping fangirl ♥
Years
So, finally, I caught my first ground pokemon.
Brock was a @!#¬&*% to beat with only Pikachu.
Being level 15, I got throught Geodude with 6 double team and a whole lot of quick attack.
Then, on to Onix. I gave my Pikachu a potion, then began with the quick attack again. Unfortunatly, I ran out of PP. Quick attack being my only usable move, I had to use up all of my thundershock, thunder wave and what was left of my double team.
Since all it used was bide and some screech, it didn't attack me once during that (well maybe a tackle or two).
Yeah, so I finally KO'd it with struggle. Lot's of fun.

So now here's my team :

Sandrine lvl. 14
gby027.gif

-Scratch
-Sand attack

I'm keeping Pikachu in my PC for flash, eventually. (Even if it hates my guts now xD)
So yeah, right now I'm training a bit before entering Mt.Moon and catch a Geodude.

Medli

I am Error.
Years
  • Seen Mar 28, 2010
I'm in a creative mood again, so you know what that means. And I'm procrastinating on homework, so... all the more reason to take my sweet time on this! It's not difficult homework, but I just don't feel like doing it.

---

Fire
Monotype Challenge: Part 41 - In Which Our Hero Meets Someone Awesome

Trainer Name: Seb
Badges: 2
Generation: III (on Emerald)

Log
:
After Zara and I finally defeated Brawly and his Makuhita, we decided to go looking for Steven at the request of Mr. Stone. We told that he could be found in the Granite Cave, looking for rare stones. A Hiker in the cave warned me about the darkness, and gave me HM05 Flash. I taught it to Nick the Nincada. I also decided to catch an Aron for later, and I named it Aaron.

The cave was dark and had many winding pathways. I accidentally stumbled upon a hole in the back of cave. When I crawled through the hole, I saw a man examining the rock wall in the back of the alcove. I knew it had to be Steven. I introduced myself and handed him the letter. He thanked me by giving me a TM which contained Steel Wing. Then he noticed Zara and complimented me on my training. He told me that I had a chance of becoming the Hoenn Champion, and ran off.

I returned to where Mr. Briney kept his boat, and I asked him if we go set sail to Slateport City. He agreed and soon we were on our way. When we arrived at Slateport, I noticed a long line at what appeared to be a museum. They all wore blue bandanas and looked like the people I had fought before (Team... Aqua like that, or something?). One of them mumbled something about wanting a "Gameboy Advance" to avoid the boredom of standing in line... whatever a Gameboy Advance is. Never heard of it.

I immediately went over to the shipyard and asked for Captain Stern. No one knew where I was, so I went back to the museum. When I went in, I saw all the Team Aqua members in the museum. I went upstairs where there was only one man there. I went up to him, and he introduced himself as Captain Stern. Before I could I could give him the Devon Goods, two of the Team Aqua members attacked us! I sent out Zara to protect Captain Stern and I. After I defeated those two, another man walked in and introduced himself as the leader, Archie. He glared at me and asked if I was part of Team Magma. Wait, who are they again? He then started rambling about a goal to expand the sea for Pokemon and people alike. He told me I was too young to understand and walked off.

Captain Stern thanked me and I handed him the Devon Goods. We both parted ways and I headed out of the museum. I was stopped again by the guy with the sunglasses. He asked me if I fought off Team Magma and told me that his name was Scott. He mentioned something about looking for talented trainers. He then registered his number on my PokeNav and walked off before I could get a word in.
Team:
pkrs005.gif

Zara (Level 26)
- Ember
- Double Kick
- Peck
- Scratch

---
Long logs are long. The title is referring to Steven, not Archie... or Scott, by the way. Scott just creeps me out. Especially his sunglasses. His sunglasses scare me. And I can't decide on a nickname for Torkoal. Sigh.

polkop

LSHMSFOAIDMT
Years
Update for my grass challenge.
- Start my Silver Game and choose Chikorita
- Did the prof Elm job
- I get my first badge with Chikorita
- Caught Bellsprout
- Caught Hoppip
- Defat the Team Rockt in the Slowpoke Well
- Chikorita evolve into Bayleef
- Get My second badge with Bayleef since I want to catch all my 6 pokemon befor training him
- Beat my rival
- Caught Oddish
- Caught Paras
- Win a Sun Stone in the bug contest
- I'm going to catch a Sunkern before I start my training

My actual team:
Bayleef - Lv 23
- Tackle
- Poisonpowder
- Razor Leaf
- Synthesis

Bellsprout - Lv 7
- Vine Whip
- Growth
- Cut

Hoppi Lv 7
- Splash
- Synthesis
- Tail Whip
- Headbutt

Oddish - Lv 8
- Absorb
- Sweet Scent

Paras - Lv 8
- Scatch
- Fury Cutter
- Stun Spore

Years
Johto Update #2
a short update after 2 days of a bad flu

-caught a wooper
-trained him a little
-made way through union cave
-cleared slowpoke well quest
-beat Silver before the gym

current team

Phanpy (lvl 16)
-Tackle
-Growl
-Defense Curl
-Mud Slap

Wooper (Lvl 16)
-Water Gun
-(some status move i can't remember and am too tired to look up)
-Slam

HM Slaves
Chikorita
-Flash

will probably play more tomorrow

Medli

I am Error.
Years
  • Seen Mar 28, 2010
It's snowing outside and school is closed. It's also not windy, so all the snow stayed on the the tree branches (our backyard is basically in the woods), and it's absolutely beautiful! But that's just the nerdy artist in me talking.

---

Fire Monotype Challenge: Part 42 - I'm Sick of Electrical Puns aka Shocking, Isn't It?

Trainer Name: Seb
Badges: 3
Generation: III (on Emerald)

Log
:

• Went to the Pokemon Fanclub. Apparently, I'm famous enough that they want an interview from me. They asked me what I thought of when I first saw Zara. I told her, "We were going to be invincible." She then asked me what Pokemon mean to me, and I said, "Friends." Apparently, I'm going to be on TV. Who da thunk? I also got a Soothe Bell and I gave it to Zara just for the heck of it. I can't wait to get the Amulet Coin for some more money.
  • Went up north and fought off all the trainers. Double battles are annoying because I only have one real team member. And the double battle failed more because the Plusle used a Helping Hand on the Minun, who then used a Helping Hand. Epic fail. Anyway, I just Ember'd away my slaves so that Zara can get all the experience. I feel bad for Aaron the Aron, though. I love Aron/Aggron.
  • Faced off against May again. Beat her again.
  • Made it to Mauville and defeated Wally. And damn it, Stalker is back.
  • Went to the Mauville Gym and easily defeated Wattson. Wattson is ridiculously easy thanks to Combusken. I can also use Ember to avoid Static. Win!
  • Taught the Rock Smash HM to Aaron the Aron.
Team:
pkrs005.gif

Zara (Level 32)
- Ember
- Double Kick
- Peck
- Quick Attack

---

I still can't decide between a nickname for Torkoal. I have a few, but none of them are particularly good.

Charmageddon

Years
  • Seen Apr 25, 2016
Charma: Planning on figuring out the enemy movesets one saving throw at a time?

What do you mean? (sorry, I'm tired and slow)

Soo, I waltzed through Mt. Moon with ease, getting Mega Punch and teaching it to Ape Insane. I was overconfident and headed straight to the gym in Cerulean, only to get knocked out by some mook's Goldeen (Supersonic+Peck=Evil).

So I decided to just head up Nugget Bridge, train up a little and... dammit, I always forget that Gary motherfricking Oak turns up here! Luckily, his Spearow had a brain fart and used leer while I Mega Punched him to death. Rattata and Eevee were easy for obvious reasons, and Sandshrew wasn't much cop either. I know I'm gonna hate his Alakzam later.

After clearing Nugget Bridge and chatting to Bill, I went back to the gym at lvl. 27 and made sushi out of that Goldeen. Misty's Staryu was a bit pathetic (one-shotted with Mega Punch), but Starmie put up much more of a fight. It hardened, tackled, and Bubblebeamed me where the sun don't shine, but eventually, I got a critical Mega Punch and down went Starmie. Spurred on by his epic victory, Ape Insane engulfed himself in a bright white light and evolved into Primeape!

I beat the Rocket Grunt and stole the stolen TM, teaching it to AI (like I would give it back to the owners!), then made my way to Vermillion. I'm about to wipe out everyone on the SS Anne, then beat up some Electric mouse. I've discovered that some girl by the Cerulean-Vermillion underground path wants to trade me a Machoke for a Cubone, so I won't be getting my second Pokemon until I reach Lavender Town (else I won't be able to get Machamp). I started on Platinum too and made my way to Floaroma, so I have time to get myself an early Heracross (hands up who hates honey trees).

Team so far:

Ape Insane (Primeape)
Spr_1y_057.png

lvl. 29 (37 after edit)
- Mega Punch
- Low Kick
- Karate Chop
- Dig
I've always underestimated Primeape, he can hit things fast and hard, so I'm OHKOing most opponents.

EDIT: I've wiped out SS Anne and Lt. Surge, and reached Rock Tunnel. Nothing really to note, my rival was horribly underlevelled (or possibly I am overlevelled), and Dig is quite overpowered in Gen I. I taught Seismic Toss over Karate Chop, but I wasn't sure whether to add Thunderbolt or not. None of my other Pokemon can learn it and it's a great move, but I wasn't sure whether Primeape's special was high enough or not. What do you guys think?

Last edited:

raekuul

Team Anorith Grunt
Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Jan 13, 2017
I would have made a +5 Holy Pokeballs joke instead, but then that wouldn't have been as funny for me. In any case, at least we see O-Chul versus Chuck instead of O-Chul versus Xykon.

Although the sheer awesomeness of what you have started may destroy the world...

Charmageddon

Years
  • Seen Apr 25, 2016
I would have made a +5 Holy Pokeballs joke instead, but then that wouldn't have been as funny for me. In any case, at least we see O-Chul versus Chuck instead of O-Chul versus Xykon.

*facepalm* That must be the first time I've failed to get an OotS reference. *hands raekuul a cookie* I hope my playthrough will prove conclusively that O-Chul>Chuck Norris.

Although the sheer awesomeness of what you have started may destroy the world...
It's OK, O-Chul will just rebuild it.

EDIT: I've finally got my whole team! Primeape waltzed his overlevelled ar$e through Rock Tunnell, the Celadon Rocket Base and Pokemon Tower, to get me a Cubone and a Pokeflute. It even OHKOed the Snorlax with Low Kick. I got a Super Rod and ran back to Viridian City to fish up a Poliwag, trading Cubone away for a Machoke (now Machamp). Defeated the trainers I had left, plus some new ones, and unded up with a disobeying Machamp. To rectify that, I went to Erika's gym with a brand new Poliwrath and hobbled my way through her gym. Bellsprout with Stun Spore and Wrap are evil, especially as Wrap is so broken in Gen I. Ice Beam and Psychic saw me through, but only just.

rainbowbadge.jpg

Will kick the Rockets out of Silph now. I've got my final team assembled - I could get a Hitmonlee as well, but I'm planning a three-Hitmon team in Crystal, and I don't like to re-use Pokemon.

Final Team:

Spr_1y_057.png

Ape Insane (Primape)
Lvl. 47
- Mega Punch
- Low Kick
- Dig
- Screech
Not much change. Low Kick really needs to be something better, but there aren't really any better Fighting moves in Gen I. Yay or Nay on Thunderbolt?

Spr_1y_062.png

Todd (Poliwrath)
Lvl. 35
- Psychic
- Ice Beam
- Bubblebeam
- Hypnosis
I'm thinking of changing Hypnosis to Body Slam or Strength - opinions?

Spr_1y_068.png

Ricky (Machamp)
Lvl. 31
- Karate Chop
- Low Kick
- Leer
- Rock Slide
Yay for sucky movesets. I'm definitely gonna have Earthquake and Rock Slide, then probably a fighting move and either Hyper Beam or Strength.

Last edited:

raekuul

Team Anorith Grunt
Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Jan 13, 2017
If the Machamp can take a Hyper Beam and can do decent damage with Rock Slide, you won't really need to take Thunderbolt. I would wait until you get to Lance's Gyarados until making the call, though.

I would recommend Strength over Hyper Beam, for the five extra turns of attack before running into struggle (Yes, I know that Hyper Beam has 5 PP, but you're only attacking once every two turns with it, so it's like it has 10) as well as the other five extra turns of attack (the aforementioned cool-down turn)

Personally, I would grind with Todd so that he can take a hit from electric and still get off a decent Ice Beam. May I recommend KO'ing Zapdos before attempting the Elite 4 as a test?

Flamboyant

Girlpowershipping fangirl ♥
Years
So, after catching a geodude and training in Mt. moon, I finally reached Cerulean city. Sandrine leveled up while I was battling my way to Bill's house (yay!). Now, I didn't want to take any risks while battling Misty, so I got to Vermillion and caught myself a Diglett.
After training it a little, I went back to Cerulean and beat Misty. It wasn't hard, really.
My team looked like this:

Mafiosos lvl 24 (Though it evolved during the battle)
gby050.gif

-Scratch
-Growl
-Dig
-Sand-attack

Sandrine lvl 25
gby028.gif

-Scratch
-Sand-attack
-Slash

Collossus lvl 25
gby075.gif

-Tackle
-Defense curl
-Rock throw
-Selfdestruct

First, Mafiosos OHKO'd Staryu with dig. Then, I tried the same thing with Starmie, but its speed is better than Mafiosos', so it got OHKO'd by bubblebeam.
Then I sent out Sandrine. Starmie used a X Defend and I used slash. It did a critical hit, as always (god this move's critical hit ratio in RBY is incredible). On the second turn, it used water gun, but it only did like 1/3 damage, so my second critical hit slash KO'd it.
So now I'm on my way to S.S Anne, then up to Vermillion's gym, which will be really easy.

subame

I control the spice!
Years
Blarg...

-Beat Team Galactic, Grunts and Admins
-Entred the Distortion World, i.e. the most obnoxious puzzle ever..
-Fought Cyrus...And Man was he tough! Houndoom nearly swept my whole team, Gyrados likewise....Honchrow countinued the tradition...If he kept leveling up, I'd wager on him against Red....
-Moved along to Sunnyshore
-Fought through the Gym...and, I actually liked the puzzle...it was...intruiging..
-Fought another tough fight against Volkner...Jolteon and Electrivvire gave me a world of trouble....were it not for Jezebel I would have lost hideously...
-Saved
-The Cyrus fight was so bad, I waited a day before posting....It was downright physically draining..
-After Houndoom, I'm downright scared of Flint...

Seraph Lv47 F
Poison Point-Impish-Big Root
Giga Drain
Shadow Ball
Hyper Beam
Toxic

Bram Lv46 M
Inner Focus-Quiet-none
Aerial Ace
Pluck
Bite
Confuse Ray

Bonnie Lv46 F
Dry Skin-Naive-none
Mud Bomb
Focus Blast
Poison Point
Nasty Plot

Jezebel Lv47 F
Sniper-Bold-none
Poison Fang
Ice Fang
Fire Fang
Thunder Fang

Getting closer to the end....and...why am I still in Hoenn on the list?

Badges:8

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back