• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Release] Pokemon Metal

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Feb 7, 2017
Seven gyms completed!

Logo4.png

INTRODUCTION
Welcome, and thank you in advance for reading the thread that is about my game, Pokemon Metal. The idea to create this game came to me in early July, 2012. When I looked up on how to create Pokemon games, I was surprised to find out that it can be done by using RPG Maker, a program I've worked in for a couple of years.

This game combines two of my favorite things in the world, Pokemon (duh) and rock & metal music. That's why the name of the game is "Pokemon Metal". All the gym leaders, the E4 and the Champ are based on famous rock & metal musicians (Look at the "Characters section" for more info), some sidequests are based on lyrics of songs, and there are a lot of other references to the music world.

The story of this game isn't too different from other Pokemon games. What makes it much more interesting are the sidequests. There are a lot of things to finish & discover in the Pokemon World. Why don't you take a look at the "Main Story" and "Sidequests" section below to find out more?

UPDATES
Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

- Okay, so I really, really need someone who can make/find sprites and characters. If anyone is willing to help, please say so. It'd be really helpful.

STORYLINE
- The game starts in the Arala region, 8 years after the Kanto games (So, 8 years after Red became Champ of the Indigo League). The hometown of the main character is called Rainbow, and professor Oak temporarily moved there to help out in a Pokemon research institute.
- While there, professor Oak finds out that you'd like to go on your own adventure with Pokemon, so, big-hearted as he is, he gives you a starter Pokemon, and a Pokedex.

So, the game isn't too different from any other Pokemon game. The main quest is to beat all the gym leaders and Pokemon league. However, there will be a lot of sidequests which will make the game a lot more interesting.

Just to clarify, since the main goal of all the Pokemon games is to beat the Pokemon League, everything that happens after it, I consider a "Sidequest". That's why there isn't almost any information in this section. Look at the section below to see the sidequests. Most of them develop during the main gameplay, but can only be finished after the league, so, in a way, they are a major part of the main storyline, but I just call them "sidequests".

SIDEQUESTS
- First of all, while in professor Oak's laboratory, he tells you about his past. How he sent two trainers on their own adventure. The first one was his grandson, Gary Oak, who never completed the Pokedex. He left all of his Pokemon home, and came to the Arala region to have another adventure, with brand new Pokemon. The second trainer is, of course, Red. However, no-one has heard anything about Red in a long, long time. Professor Oak is sure that he is not dead. So one of the side quests will be to find Red.
- Before the invention of the Pokeball, training Pokemon was very hard. One would have to be able to form companionship with Pokemon without actually catching them. Taming, training and loving them was a lot harder without the ability to capture them in a ball. That was all a long time ago. However, there apparently is one trainer alive who trained his Pokemon without any Pokeballs. The life he led with his Pokemon has extended his lifespan, and he is the real Pokemon master. Only beating him will mean that you are the best!
- The Pokemon research institute in Rainbow is having troubles. Even with the help of professor Oak, they're not making a lot of progress. Help them out!
- Team Rocket is using strong Pokemon to change the world. They're hurting the Pokemon, and even people, to get what they want. I won't release much details about them, you'll encounter them a few times through the main storyline, but that won't be enough to stop them!
- Professor Oak gave you a Pokedex. Red and Gary were never able to fulfill his dream. It is on you to complete the Pokedex!
- Completely new Pokemon have been sighted in the region of Arala. Investigate!
- There's an old rumor about the Arala region. The rumor is about gold - apparently, there was a lot of gold in Arala, though there are absolutely no records about that. A lot of important characters are investigating that old rumor. Some think it's a prehistoric prank, others think that "gold" is a reference to something else. So what is it? I won't reveal that :P
- There's a group of people called "The Stargazers". Apparently, they're an evil organization with a yet unknown plan - but they're much more different than Team Rocket, or any other evil team. The most interesting part here is that there are almost none references to them - you have to investigate on your own. Team Rocket (Or any other team, really) isn't really good at hiding their plans and being discovered by a 10 (In this game, 15) year old kid. The Stargazers are. Some characters mention them, but that is far from enough to learn about them.
-There will be more sidequests as the game progresses.

CHARACTERS
*Note that this game isn't near completion. Currently, I use the sprites provided in Pokemon Essentials, but I'll probably change them once I'm close to finishing the game.

Main character
Spoiler:

Kalifa
Spoiler:

Ritchie
Spoiler:

Gary
Spoiler:

Randy
Spoiler:

Lita
Spoiler:

Angus
Spoiler:

David
Spoiler:

Shirley
Spoiler:

Bruce
Spoiler:

Jimi
Spoiler:

Rob
Spoiler:

Till
Spoiler:

Giovanni
Spoiler:

OTHER INFO
- The 3 starters you choose from are not the regular grass, fire and water type, and all of them have only one evolution. Of course, the types still work like rock, papers & scissor.
- The game has a lot of references to the world of rock & metal music, hence the name "Pokemon Metal". For example, most gym leaders share their names with famous musicians.
- All 649 Pokemon will be available.
- Trading won't be necessary for evolving Pokemon like Haunter or Onix. I'll probably create items (stones) that will make them evolve, or just make them evolve once they reach a certain level. Maybe I'll even make some encounter-able.
- Starters can be found as wild Pokemon.
- All legendary Pokemon can be found and caught.
- The healing process is the same as in every other Pokemon game (Nurse Joy asking you if you want your Pokemon healed, balls being set on the healing table, healing music, balls being returned), but it's a bit faster.
-Towns and cities won't be as small as in the regular Pokemon games (Who ever heard of a town with 3 houses?!?!)
- Unlike any other Pokemon game I've played, the starting town has its own Pokemon Center! Of course, you can't heal your Pokemon if you don't have any yet.
- There will be 17 new Pokemon (Fakemon), adding the total number of Pokemon to 666. These will include all eeveelutions (10 new Pokemon), a dragon Pokemon with 2 evolutions (3 in total), and 4 legendaries that are based on mascots of popular heavy metal bands.

CREDITS
Poccil
Fangking Omega
P-Sign
Clowcardruler
Maruno
Venom12
FL
Mortenkein
Cast
Silentninja
Neo-Spriteman
Dewitty
Bulbapedia.Bulbagarden.net
Nintendo
Chocosrawloid
Kymotonian
milomilotic11
spaceemotion
Saving Raven

SCREENSHOTS
Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

QUESTIONS FOR YOU
Right, so this is the section where I will ask you questions that I can't quite figure out myself. It's basically where I search advice.
- Do you have any features/references to metal, that you would love to see? If yes, just say so!

DOWNLOAD
Download Pokemon Metal (Demo) here!

If anyone actually decides to download and try it out, please ignore the following:
- Black areas (Just a few maps are still unfinished),
- Missing intro & double battles,
- The region map (I need to remake it, and draw it in the style of the other Pokemon maps - the one I have right now just serves as a "mold", so I know how to create actual maps).

ANY ERRORS/MISTAKES YOU FIND, PLEASE REPORT THEM IMMEDIATELY. IF YOU WANT TO SEE ANY CHANGES, PLEASE SAY SO.

And of course, THANK YOU FOR TRYING IT OUT :)

Not all trainers on the routes 7, 8 & 20 have been tested! They probably work, but just in case, save before battling them!

Thank you all for reading. Any advice, feedback & critiques are very welcome :D

Last edited:

Catman

Testosterone Incarnate
Years
Well, for starters it would be wise to use characters that don't have any relation to Oak (including the Hero ones) because it's kinda nonsensical having them all again but only in a different region don't you think?

I do like the idea of a Metal music themed Pokemon though, see if you can get some F-Zero style music!

I can't wait to battle the elite 4: Iron Maiden?

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Feb 7, 2017
Well, I don't really know why it's nonsensical to have characters related to Oak. The protagonist is not Red, even though he looks like him right now. It's just that I don't have any other sprites or characters yet, but I'll worry about that once I advance in the game. I mean, it's fairly easy to change the appearance of the main character, isn't it?

EDIT: As for the top 4, you guessed right, one of them will share the same name as a member of Iron Maiden! He'll be the fourth of the top 4. Janick (Gers), Ghost type Pokemon (because of my favorite Iron Maiden song - Ghost of the Navigator. Janick played the solo for that song!).

Last edited:

Catman

Testosterone Incarnate
Years
Yeah, I meant that the sprites make it look like they are just the same people being re-used.

Also, How about a cameo of Maiden's infamous mascot Eddie the Head?

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Feb 7, 2017
That's actually a great idea. But I have no idea how to do that xD I mean, I can't make him a human NPC, since, well... Eddie isn't human at all. Should I make him some creature other than Pokemon? Or should I turn him into a legendary Pokemon of the ghost/dark type? Or steel, as in metal? Hmm...

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Feb 7, 2017
Aaah, I knew it wouldn't take long before you figure out who the champ is xD Yes, the champ is Dio. He'll have dragon type Pokemon, mostly because of the album "Killing the Dragon".

Thanks for your comment :)

Catman

Testosterone Incarnate
Years
That's actually a great idea. But I have no idea how to do that xD I mean, I can't make him a human NPC, since, well... Eddie isn't human at all. Should I make him some creature other than Pokemon? Or should I turn him into a legendary Pokemon of the ghost/dark type? Or steel, as in metal? Hmm...

In an abandoned concert dome waiting for you, the greatest creature known to rockers everywhere lurks...
Dark type would be better than Steel type, it'd be hard to make a set of moves that make sense. With Dark type you could have him play solos of death at your Pokemon.

I noticed you were aiming for 649 Pokemon, don't you think it'd be cooler to make that 666?

[Edit]: Joe Satriani?

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Feb 7, 2017
Hmm... it is a nice idea, really. However, making 17 new Pokemon is going to be a lot of work. But meh, I've got time. Thanks for the idea, Catman :)

And, no, Joe Satriani isn't an Elite 4, nor a gym leader.

Catman

Testosterone Incarnate
Years
Well, Eddie being one, the other 16 shouldn't be too hard to design. Just make them all big references!

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Feb 7, 2017
Yeah, that's probably what I'll do. Thanks for the ideas :)

I should probably add Murray, too (The mascot of Dio)
Spoiler:

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Feb 7, 2017
Hey guys, so I posted a small update, with more screenshots and progress. But I could really use some help with the sprites - I currently need sprites for the gym leaders (Only one so far), and for the members of Team Storm. So if anyone is willing to help, please say so (I'll give credit, of course).

Catman

Testosterone Incarnate
Years
How about:
Paradise City (Obvious reference there...)
San Dimas (Where Wild Stalyns live (Bill & Ted reference and a half))

Uh... I'll try to think of some more

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Feb 7, 2017
Thanks for your suggestions, CatMan :) I added them right away, since they're way better than any names I came up with...

I have one more question:
1) What would you like to see more? A new criminal organisation (Team Storm) or a comeback of Team Rocket? Since I currently have horrible sprites for Team Storm (For the overworld sprite, I use one from the RMXP RTP, but they're taller and skinnier than Pokemon characters), and for battles I use a recolored Steven :\

Catman

Testosterone Incarnate
Years
Well, as you can probably tell. I suggest cramming in as many references to all the major bands.

Other than that, I don't know. I don't really play enough Pokemon to know what is and isn't a Pokemon game's good and bad features but i'm sure someone will help.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Feb 7, 2017
I believe I'm bringing Team Rocket back. Or any other team(s) that appeared in the canon games, since it'll be much easier acquiring sprites.

Other than that, just because of my lack of sprites, my progress has slowed down, and I don't like it. However, I still did some progress. The game now has 66 maps, and once I have the 2nd gym done, I'll put the demo up for download :)

The second gym leader is named David, after him. He uses rock-type Pokemon.

By the way, as you probably figured by now, the first gym leader is based on this guy.

Again, if anyone has any free time to make sprites for these two, I'd really appreciate it. They don't even have to be good, they just have to be... recognizable.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Feb 7, 2017
Okay, so I made another update. A big one, this time. It took me so long because I had to create some quests the player has to go through before he faces the second gym leader.

The second gym leader, David (Based on David Coverdale from Whitesnake) is really strong. His highest level is 28. The badge you get from him is called the "Hard rock" badge, since he trains rock Pokemon, and, well, he is a great hard rock singer xD

Anyway, tomorrow I have to go through a thorough test play, to see if there are any bugs or something. Once finished, I'll put the demo up for download. But more about that tomorrow.

So, any guesses about the next two gym leaders?

Controversial?

Bored musician, bad programmer
Years
  • Age 28
  • UK
  • Seen Oct 11, 2020
The fact that you managed to cross Pokémon with Metal has already earned you points.

Hahaha, I thought it was Dave Mustaine you were referencing with that screenshot at first tbh XD

Also, you said youw ere gonna replace the original starter triad, and then you revealed a Fighting type...I hope you realise Dark/Psychic/Fighting isn't actually a type triangle? XD

EDIT: Oh, and I do like how the E4 is Iron Maiden, but tbh I did envisage them to be more like the singers from the Big 4 of Thrash Metal, but... actually, that wouldn't work. Who'd you have for Anthrax?

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Feb 7, 2017
The fact that you managed to cross Pokémon with Metal has already earned you points.
Hahah, thank you :) It's two of my favorite things in the world :)

Hahaha, I thought it was Dave Mustaine you were referencing with that screenshot at first tbh XD
Well, they don't look alike in the real world, but sprites... combined with my ability to draw horribly, it's an easy mistake to make xD

Also, you said youw ere gonna replace the original starter triad, and then you revealed a Fighting type...I hope you realise Dark/Psychic/Fighting isn't actually a type triangle? XD
Uhm... how isn't it a triangle? Fighting beats Dark, Dark beats Psychic & Psychic beats Fighting :\

Also, the third starter is Ghost type, not Psychic. Ghost attacks maybe aren't super effective against Fighting Pokemon, but Fighting attacks don't have any effect on Ghost Pokemon at all.

EDIT: Oh, and I do like how the E4 is Iron Maiden, but tbh I did envisage them to be more like the singers from the Big 4 of Thrash Metal, but... actually, that wouldn't work. Who'd you have for Anthrax?
Yeaah, I know you'll hate me for this, but the only reference to the Big 4 is the last gym leader, and it is James from Metallica... I don't really like the Big 4...
Also, only one of the E4 is an Iron Maiden member. The others are from other bands.

In other news, I'm sorry that I didn't put the game up for download when I said I would. But I'll put it up tonight if anyone is interested in playing it.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Feb 7, 2017
So, first of all, sorry for the double post xD

The demo is up for download now. If anyone actually tries it out, please report any errors you find. And if you want to see some changes, please say so.

Also, I could use some critiques for the maps. Are they good enough? If not, what needs to be added/removed/changed?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back