• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Tool: [Alpha] (MEH) Map Editor of Happiness

U.Flame

Maker of Short Games
Years
I love this project's potential! Do you plan to add LeafGreen and Sapphire support any time soon? It'd also be nice to implement season changes, like for wild Pokemon and tiles.

interdpth

I've seen things, man.
Years
  • Seen Jun 8, 2021
Wow, I think the world map editor looks really cool, will it eventually support expanded world maps?

It all depends on the INI.

Ruby has one map and pretty much supported like this(I need to add a flag stating it's color type before release)

One value for each entry
;Worldmap offsets are offsets to pointers
WorldMapGFX =0xFA990
WorldMapPal =0xFA9B8
WorldMapPalSize =0x38
WorldMapSlot =0xE
WorldMapTileMap =0xFA9A4
WorldMapCount =1

While FR has 4
;Worldmap offsets need to be offsets to pointers
WorldMapGFX = 0xC0330,0xC0330,0xC0330,0xC0330
WorldMapPal = 0xC2D10,0xC2D10,0xC2D10,0x3C2D10
WorldMapSlot = 0x0,0x0,0x0,0x0
WorldMapTileMap = 0xc035C,0xc0370,0xc0388,0xc03a4
WorldMapCount = 4
WorldMapPalSize = 0x80,0x80,0x80,0x80

So as you can see, it can totally support extended maps. To the editor is just depends on WorldMapCount. So, you should be able to have 255 at least. lol The offsets need to be the offset where the pointer to the data is and you need to make sure each entry has the same amount of addresses.

To those asking about an undo button, that is easily doable. I'm not sure if I will do it though. Got a mess of projects going on. So Shiny might.

I love this project's potential! Do you plan to add LeafGreen and Sapphire support any time soon? It'd also be nice to implement season changes, like for wild Pokemon and tiles.

We'll probably ask people in the community to gather the required info. And you can do that. It is open source.

Last edited:

GoGoJJTech

(☞゚ヮ゚)☞ http://GoGoJJTech.com ☜(゚ヮ゚☜)
Years
If this editor have option to add extra town map into ruby. That was the best tool to map editing ever.

That is asm handled, so YOU'd need to implement that yourself then edit the ini then edit it. The tool doesn't make the game run the way you want it, the gba does. Tools just edit appearance and names and things. They can add asm but why would they if you can on your own?

Last edited:

karatekid552

What happens if I push it?....
Years
They can add asm but why woukd they if you can on your own?

This is now my all time FAVORITE quote. You can do all of this in a hex editor. Every single thing that tools edit can be done on a hex editor. The point of tools is to take a long laborious task and make it easier. There are a few tools already that insert custom ASM into the game. This wouldn't be the first.

edit: Not saying that I think it should, but that your reason is not a good reason not to.

Last edited:

interdpth

I've seen things, man.
Years
  • Seen Jun 8, 2021
That is asm handled, so YOU'd need to implement that yourself then edit the ini then edit it. The tool doesn't make the game run the way you want it, the gba does. Tools just edit appearance and names and things. They can add asm but why woukd they if you can on your own?

To be fair,

It does support multiple town maps. But to be fair on us, to implement it is on the hacker.

Last edited:

bcrobert

Lazy Antagonist
Years
  • Seen Aug 8, 2022
Wait...I don't even understand what he was asking. Did he mean a new key item that functions as the town map? Because the pokenav...does that. -_-;

GoGoJJTech

(☞゚ヮ゚)☞ http://GoGoJJTech.com ☜(゚ヮ゚☜)
Years
Wait...I don't even understand what he was asking. Did he mean a new key item that functions as the town map? Because the pokenav...does that. -_-;

He meant like having 2 regions in ruby. But it's on him to do it.

bcrobert

Lazy Antagonist
Years
  • Seen Aug 8, 2022
What if MEH's wild editor could produce a .txt list of wild pokemon not available in any of the wild data? If the list had Weedle, Kakuna, and Beedrill on it then you would know that you forgot to add a member of the Weedle family to your hack (unless you made it a special event 'mon for some reason). I know that's a weird suggestion but I'm trying to think of things A-Map doesn't do. :P

Years
What if MEH's wild editor could produce a .txt list of wild pokemon not available in any of the wild data? If the list had Weedle, Kakuna, and Beedrill on it then you would know that you forgot to add a member of the Weedle family to your hack (unless you made it a special event 'mon for some reason). I know that's a weird suggestion but I'm trying to think of things A-Map doesn't do. :P

I think what would be a more urgent and needed feature would be the ability to import and export wild pokémon lists so you can easily transfer them from map to map (preferably in a .txt format that the tool would the just encrypt and decrypt)

interdpth

I've seen things, man.
Years
  • Seen Jun 8, 2021
I think what would be a more urgent and needed feature would be the ability to import and export wild pokémon lists so you can easily transfer them from map to map (preferably in a .txt format that the tool would the just encrypt and decrypt)

I sadly have to write an export system for the GBA games. So exporting will fall on me and should be quite easy to use.

Shiny Quagsire

I'm Still Alive, Elsewhere
Years
Like interdpth said, this is in fact planned and shouldn't be too difficult to implement.

Weekly(ish) Update
So I've been working diligently on MEH for the last few weeks today and I've finally managed to implement repointing support for the wild pokemon editor, bringing it up to speed with A-Map. Currently it functions exactly the same as you would expect it so I don't think there should be too much confusion there.
Screenshotfrom2014-01-20003955_zpsd21a5190.png

As always, suggestions are welcome. As for what to expect next, currently interdpth and I are working on a few things for MEH, I'm continuing adding repointing support with events and interdpth is working on a world map editor plugin as well as exporting/importing functions. Once we have everything up-to-par with A-Map I'll work on various map editing tools, undo/redo support, and other things.

Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen Jul 27, 2016
i see a part that say time of day, thats for a NDS, it will be yours or the NDS of dialga??

Years
  • Seen Feb 22, 2023
i see a part that say time of day, thats for a NDS, it will be yours or the NDS of dialga??

It's actually an implementation of some Day and Night Wild Battle routine for the gba. The NDS uses a totally different architecture in almost every part of the rom and it would be of no use to construct an editor for both versions, you could create 2 single applications as well. (And there are implementations for the wild battle data in NDS games anyways)

The screen looks very promising, I like where this is going!

~SBird

Shiny Quagsire

Years
It's actually an implementation of some Day and Night Wild Battle routine for the gba. The NDS uses a totally different architecture in almost every part of the rom and it would be of no use to construct an editor for both versions, you could create 2 single applications as well. (And there are implementations for the wild battle data in NDS games anyways)

The screen looks very promising, I like where this is going!

~SBird
I think he meant DNS, a Day and Night system, because there's one made by Primal Dialga.

Currently I'm planning on two options: You can either stick with PrimalDialga's Day/Night system or one of the many others that are compatible, or you can use one that will be made by diegoisawesome which will most likely be integrated into MEH. The plan though is to allow for there to be a set of possible wild pokemon for each time of day, making Day and Night systems more useful and realistic to have in hacks. However, once you start using the different pokemon in the daytime and at night it will become incompatible with A-Map. Luckily though it's fully functional as a wild pokemon editor at this point.

karatekid552

What happens if I push it?....
Years
Currently I'm planning on two options: You can either stick with PrimalDialga's Day/Night system or one of the many others that are compatible, or you can use one that will be made by diegoisawesome which will most likely be integrated into MEH. The plan though is to allow for there to be a set of possible wild pokemon for each time of day, making Day and Night systems more useful and realistic to have in hacks. However, once you start using the different pokemon in the daytime and at night it will become incompatible with A-Map. Luckily though it's fully functional as a wild pokemon editor at this point.

Once this completely works, I have little doubt that people will even download A-Map any more.:P My tool breaks compatibility with YAPE if you expand evolutions, so it is the same thing. Out with the old, in with the new.:D God, I can't wait for this to fully work! A-Map under wine is so slow.

Just out of curiosity, how will you be handling repointing? Will it all be automated? And for repointed maps, will you clear the old ones?

Last edited:

Shiny Quagsire

Years
Once this completely works, I have little doubt that people won't even download A-Map any more.:P My tool breaks compatibility with YAPE if you expand evolutions, so it is the same thing. Out with the old, in with the new.:D God, I can't wait for this to fully work! A-Map under wine is so slow.

Just out of curiosity, how will you be handling repointing? Will it all be automated? And for repointed maps, will you clear the old ones?

Currently repointing works like this: If the editor detects that the data size is larger it will flood the old data with 0xFF's and move it somewhere else. If it's smaller it will either play it safe and stay in the same spot or repoint to allow other data to use that spot later, thus preventing fragmentation. Currently it defaults to staying in the same spot but it will be configurable later on. And yes, it's automated right now.

Boyd

Beginning Scripter
Years
  • Seen Oct 6, 2022
I just wanted to say thank you for developing this tool, it will be astronomically useful and I've been doing some playing around with it and am very impressed! I've actually learned a few new things in Java after reading through some of the code for this project haha (that's not to say I'm an expert by any means)!

Keep up the great work, I can't wait to see how this turns out!

Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen Jul 27, 2016
Currently I'm planning on two options: You can either stick with PrimalDialga's Day/Night system or one of the many others that are compatible said:
Well it will be great, but make sure that the trade works, please.

Back