• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Luck-locke challenge

Years
  • Age 31
  • UK
  • Seen Apr 2, 2021
So the basic premise of this challenge is to ensure that you have a constantly rotating team, and to make it a bit more difficult to progress.

The rules are as follows:
  • As long as you have a free slot in your party, you may catch Pokemon as normal (i.e. you are not forced to catch the first pokemon you find).

• If you have a full party and catch an extra Pokemon, roll a d6 and replace whichever Pokemon is in the corresponding slot with the new Pokemon (For example if you roll a 1, replace the Pokemon in the first slot of your party with the new Pokemon).

• Whenever you acquire a new gym badge, roll a d6 and remove the Pokemon in the corresponding party slot from your party. If you roll a number and there is no Pokemon in the corresponding slot, roll again. If you would be forced to remove your last Pokemon, you lose the challenge. If the challenge is done in Pokemon Sun/Moon, remove a Pokemon after defeating each Totem Pokemon AND each Island Kahuna.

• Whenever a Pokemon is replaced or removed, treat it as retired. You can release it or keep it in your PC, but you cannot use it again.

Notes: This is not a nuzlocke challenge. If a Pokemon faints, you may heal it at a Pokemon centre or revive it.

Now for the fun part! If you're interested in playing please let me know in the comments what version you're playing.
There are no posting requirements for the challenge but I think it'd be cool to at least see what Pokemon people are forced to discard as they progress. If you want to post your progress in any form, feel free. I'd love to see what people's teams look like with these rules in place!

Currently Playing
PansGaming - Pokemon Soul Silver
userdamname - Pokemon Emerald
shpolaris - Pokemon Fire Red
Xander729 - Pokemon Black
Sylvie - Pokemon Omega Ruby
Lrachelr5 - Pokemon Red & Pokemon Moon

Last edited:

userdamname

Just use your name!
Years
  • Age 23
  • Seen Sep 1, 2017
Hey, I have a question.

Do you need to sign up for this particular challenge? If so, How do you sign up?

Years
  • Age 31
  • UK
  • Seen Apr 2, 2021
Hey, I have a question.

Do you need to sign up for this particular challenge? If so, How do you sign up?

Hey there! Sorry I didn't mention in the main post. There is no requirement to sign up for this particular challenge, but it would be fun to keep track of everyone playing and see how they play it and what Pokemon people get and are forced to replace. It'll also be interesting to see if the challenge is easier or harder in different versions of the games.
I'll be adding a section at the bottom of the original post to keep track of who's playing and how everyone is doing. If you're interested in playing just let me know on here and I'll add your name to the Currently playing list.

Cheers

userdamname

Just use your name!
Years
  • Age 23
  • Seen Sep 1, 2017
Hey there! Sorry I didn't mention in the main post. There is no requirement to sign up for this particular challenge, but it would be fun to keep track of everyone playing and see how they play it and what Pokemon people get and are forced to replace. It'll also be interesting to see if the challenge is easier or harder in different versions of the games.
I'll be adding a section at the bottom of the original post to keep track of who's playing and how everyone is doing. If you're interested in playing just let me know on here and I'll add your name to the Currently playing list.

Cheers
Thanks, and I'm in!

I'll be doing this challenge on Emerald

Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Jan 18, 2017
Sounds interesting! I'll try this on my fire red

Also are we allowed to keep a slot for an hm slave? Or swap it from are pc box whenever we need one

Years
  • Age 31
  • UK
  • Seen Apr 2, 2021
Sounds interesting! I'll try this on my fire red

Also are we allowed to keep a slot for an hm slave? Or swap it from are pc box whenever we need one

I've added you to the list, and I think it's in the nature of the challenge not to have an extra space for a HM slave. Try and just use your 6 party Pokemon.
Thanks, and I'm in!

I'll be doing this challenge on Emerald

Added you to the list too.

I'm looking forward to seeing how your parties evolve over the course of your games. :)

Years
  • Age 22
  • Seen Jun 22, 2019
I have a question: Is it required to catch the first pokemon in each route, because if not I feel like people could just never catch pokemon once they have a good team or just search for the best pokemon in each route. If there is no rule in place regarding having to catch the first pokemon in each route I will be playing that way

Xander729
Pokemon Black

Years
  • Age 31
  • UK
  • Seen Apr 2, 2021
I have a question: Is it required to catch the first pokemon in each route, because if not I feel like people could just never catch pokemon once they have a good team or just search for the best pokemon in each route. If there is no rule in place regarding having to catch the first pokemon in each route I will be playing that way

Xander729
Pokemon Black

It's not required to catch the first pokemon on each route. The fact that you have to roll out a pokemon after every gym badge will make sure the team rotates. It's up to each player how challenging they want to make the challenge for themselves. Feel free to add any self imposed rules :)

I've added you to the list.

Years
This sounds interesting, I'll give it a shot with Omega ruby, and i'll post updates so i don't lose interest lol

Reactions: Tek
Years
So i ended up getting really into this, inventing reasons and everything as to why i had to swap out my Pokemon regularly and stuff and getting quite into the role of researcher that i had given myself. Trying not to get too attached to my team buuut its getting pretty difficult, especially will be later when i'm going to need to capture new Pokemon to balance the team out rather than just waiting until after gyms.

Update #1
Badges:
latest

Team:
Spoiler:

Retired:
Spoiler:

The journey:
Spoiler:

Last edited:
Years
I'm just wondering, if I wanted to do this challenge in Moon then would I switch out a pokemon after each totem pokemon, or just after the Kahuna battles or swap a pokemon out after the totem battle and then another one after the Kahuna battle?

While I wait on this answer I'm gonna play through on Red.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 22
  • Seen Jun 22, 2019
Black Lucklocke Update

Badges: 0

My Team:

snivy.png

Snivy Lvl. 10

panpour.png

Panpour Lvl. 10

patrat.png

Patrat Lvl. 9

lillipup.png

Lillipup Lvl. 6

Retired:

None yet

Years
  • Age 31
  • UK
  • Seen Apr 2, 2021
So i ended up getting really into this, inventing reasons and everything as to why i had to swap out my Pokemon regularly and stuff and getting quite into the role of researcher that i had given myself. Trying not to get too attached to my team buuut its getting pretty difficult, especially will be later when i'm going to need to capture new Pokemon to balance the team out rather than just waiting until after gyms.

Update #1
Badges: 1 I'm guessing i need a certain amount of posts before i can edit this thing in with pictures, i'll get round to that...
Team:
Spoiler:

Retired:
Spoiler:

The journey:
Spoiler:

Wow excellent post! I'm loving the story and the inventive reasoning behind having to swap out your pokemon! I really enjoyed reading your story, and I'm already looking forward to your next update! :D
Hope you're enjoying the challenge!

I'm just wondering, if I wanted to do this challenge in Moon then would I switch out a pokemon after each totem pokemon, or just after the Kahuna battles or swap a pokemon out after the totem battle and then another one after the Kahuna battle?

While I wait on this answer I'm gonna play through on Red.

I think if you're doing it in Sun/Moon there should be a swap after each Totem Pokemon AND after each Island Kahuna, which would mean there would be a total of 11 mandatory swaps in Sun/Moon instead of 8.
I'll add you to the list of people playing and put your game as Pokemon Red.
Cheers :)

Years
Really enjoying this challenge so far, and im surprised with Dustox as a pokemon, i rarely use bugs but hes turning out to be a very decent addition to the team.
Badges:
latest
latest
latest

Spoiler:

Retired:
Spoiler:

The journey:
Spoiler:

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 31
  • UK
  • Seen Apr 2, 2021
Really enjoying this challenge so far, and im surprised with Dustox as a pokemon, i rarely use bugs but hes turning out to be a very decent addition to the team.
Badges: 3
Team:
Spoiler:

Retired:
Spoiler:

The journey:
Spoiler:

I am loving the theory and the lore that you're adding to make the challenge more realistic. I'm really enjoying the story that you're building up, and I can't wait for the next update! :D

Years
I think if you're doing it in Sun/Moon there should be a swap after each Totem Pokemon AND after each Island Kahuna, which would mean there would be a total of 11 mandatory swaps in Sun/Moon instead of 8.
I'll add you to the list of people playing and put your game as Pokemon Red.
Cheers :)
Okay in that case then can you add moon to my sign up?

Years
Shorter update this time (well, for me anyway)

Badges:
latest
latest
latest
latest

Team:
Spoiler:

Retired:
Spoiler:

The Journey:
Spoiler:

Back