• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

2nd Gen What part annoyed you the most in G/S/C?

Timbjerr

[color=Indigo][i][b]T-o-X-i-C[/b][/i][/color]
Years
I'll be the odd one out and say Routes 40-41.

I have the compulsion to battle every swimmer I come across, so I end up spending about an hour of playtime alone in this one area, weaving my way around the Whirl Islands, and battling every single trainer and wild Tentacool/Mantine I see. Since I also have the compulsion to keep my pokémon evenly-levelled, I eventually have to rotate my Quilava and my Sandslash into the front lines against all these water-pokemon. My Quilava will eventually fall in battle and I have to swim all the way back to Olivine city or Cianwood City to get a heal and then come all the way back.

I don't even like doing this stretch of the game in HG/SS. D:

ZeroCracked

Black Aura
Years
The most annoying part of Silver wasn't actually a part of the game. I loved the entire thing. But what did annoy me was that I found my cartrage a few months ago and the data was deleted, and now it won't save any of my progress :/

The internal battery ran out. I think you can open these things up and replace them though. Takes some specialized tools though. As for the batteries, I've seen 'em around in Wal-Mart and the like.

bctincher15

blue eye + brown eye =awesome
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Feb 18, 2013
I agree with Timjerr, I hate Route 40-41. I also have a tendency to battle every trainer. So I spend forever on these Routes training my Pokemon. I also agree with every one else about the radio tower, there are just too many Rattatas(and a few Raticates).

Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Jul 14, 2021
The sea route from Olivine to Cianwood + 2 hours of that annoying surf music + my 5 year old mentality of the usage of repels is useless and its usage is for it to be sold to the Pokemart for its money= Pure torture.

Years
The most annoying part of Silver wasn't actually a part of the game. I loved the entire thing. But what did annoy me was that I found my cartrage a few months ago and the data was deleted, and now it won't save any of my progress :/

I have a post in the Simple Q&A Thread stickied in this forum for any and everything you need to know about battery replacement in Gen I and II cartridges. Last page (Currently the last post, I believe.)

That's if you ARE looking to replace the battery. :D

~V~

"Winds of a New Beginning"
Years
Trying to beat Whitney. Stupid Milktank with rollout! Even in HG/SS it still beats the crap out of my team and I've battled her over 20 times now.

Apple Juice

who are you
Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen Jul 15, 2014
Ice Path and the Dragon Gym Puzzle made me pull out my hair, ugh. So annoying :<

Mr Cat Dog

Frasier says it best
Years
Three words: Claire's! Damn! Kingdra!

I had a strategy guide when I was playing through these games, so things like the Ice Path and even the harder Gym puzzles weren't that much of a challenge. But the one thing that a strategy guide can't help with is actual battling, and the final Kingdra in Blackthorn was probably the most annoying, as well as the hardest, battle I faced when playing Gold version.

fuz

Years
  • Seen May 11, 2012
My most annoying part was having to use waterfall and forgetting to bring the Pokemon with that HM...

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
Years
Either Whitney and her Miltank, or navigating Mount Silver only to discover the extreme disappointment at the end. Even if Mount Silver was even more annoying and the end disappointment more disappointing in HG/SS, it still doesn't make the whole place any more bearable in the originals.

Oh yes, and the fact that "normal" Pokemon like Skarmory could flee as you tried to catch them.

Years
The fact that Lugia (in Crystal, at least) doesn't have Aeroblast without the use of a Gameshark code. Aeroblast is, like, the coolest flying move EVER, ONLY Lugia can learn it, and the game gives it the latest four moves in its learnset: Gust (hate), Hydro Pump (love, but it only has 5 PP), Rain Dance (loathe entirely), and Recover (indifferent toward). ._.

Yoshikko

the princess has awoken while the prince sleeps on
Years
  • Seen Apr 27, 2020
One of the more annoying things in GSC for me (probably by far not the most, but anyway) was the part in the beginning, where you were setting out your journey, and then when you're at the third town or so you get a call to go all the way back again lol.

Years
  • Seen May 22, 2012
Miltank used Rollout
Miltank used Rollout
Miltank used Rollout
Miltank used Rollout
Miltank used Rollout
Miltank used Milk Drink.

ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
Uhh... yeah getting through the cave with the ice in Gold. I even got help from some guy at primary school with it lool. I still remember that day - it was like a specific meet up, just to... get through that stupid cave. ;x

Vasquez

Hacker and LPer
Years
Tin tower and Whitney... I mean, god. For starters, no tower should ever be as convoluted as the one to Ho-Oh. All the more annoying is the fact you are constantly encountering Rattata while trying to figure out how to climb this behemoth. Whitney was just... impossible. I mean, her Miltank would just sweep my team if I didn't grind them to exceed it's level. More often than not you can beat a gym w/out being the same level by using type advantages, but for her, you didn't get ANYTHING strong against her (Except a Machop trade in Goldenrod I think), so you were forced to just try and overpower it, which was hard as **** since it's Def. stats are pretty high for a Pokemon that level, and also b/c it had Milk Drink. This battle used to just give me NIGHTMARES as a kid...

Years
Ice path was difficult for me when i was little, but now that im older and i understand the levels more, it was actually pretty easy. I used to be annoyed by the ice gym too.

But team rocket in mahogany town and the radio tower was just unbearable! all they ever have is koffing, rattata, grimer, ekans, zubat... and once in a while, golbat or muk. lame!

Years
The frequency of Goldenrod Game Corner's move teacher guy. Something like one pokemon one time a week. Lame.

Back