• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Video Games DCC

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen Dec 16, 2022
Just a talking point, in case any of you are interested: Star Wars 1313 has been canceled due to Disney's shutting down LucasArts.

Oh, false alarm, people official statements can be found here:
http://www.joystiq.com/2013/04/03/disney-closes-lucasarts/

and here:
http://www.vg247.com/2013/04/03/disney-shuttering-lucasarts-game-publishing-arm/

It hasn't been closed down, but there have been a number of layoffs across the board and a diversion away from the gaming industry.
Ouch! 2013 hasn't been a good year so far in the video games industry.

Oh yeah, this has also happened in europe:

http://www.officialnintendomagazine.co.uk/48180/devil-survivor-overclocked-patch-in-the-works/

So Devil Survivor Overclocked is apparently unplayable with Ghostlight's localization. They're working on a patch, but this is really incompetent and makes me question the reliability of publishers to release a working quality product *ahem*SimCity*ahem*.

Last edited:
Years
Yeah. I heard DSO had a ton of bugs that rendered the game almost unplayable. I wonder if they'll be issuing a recall.

Might as well ask, I have Flow Free, Cut The Rope and Teeter, but what are some decent Android games? I'm not much for Hill Top Racer or Angry Birds, and I'm out of ideas.

If your asking about free to play...idk.. I really like Temple Run or some of it's better clones (Subway Surfers or Agent Dash) but those don't really have an objective to them.

I've been playing Final Fantasy Dimensions and have been enjoying it, although that game is about 20.00 and I got it when it was on sale for 10.00. For much cheaper you could get McPixel and that game...well...it's amazing.

Spoiler:

Miss Doronjo

Gaiden
Years
The only sales that I remember taking advantage towards was Disagea: Hour of Darkness for the DS, for about $20.00, as well as Apollo Justice for about the same price. They were both really worth the investment for being such great games!

I've been playing Final Fantasy Dimensions and have been enjoying it, although that game is about 20.00 and I got it when it was on sale for 10.00. For much cheaper you could get McPixel and that game...well...it's amazing.

Spoiler:

I'm glad that you're enjoying FF Dimensions; I remember playing that game once, and, I did enjoy it myself, but unfortunately, I didn't get to finish it because it was only burrowed from my friends. I have to say, that McPixel game looked sort of weird to me at first, because I haven't heard of a completely pixelated game, other than the games for the NES, so I guess the style stood out to me. Anywho, it does it look interesting!

machomuu

Stuck in Hot Girl Summer
Years
Yeah. I heard DSO had a ton of bugs that rendered the game almost unplayable. I wonder if they'll be issuing a recall.

Might as well ask, I have Flow Free, Cut The Rope and Teeter, but what are some decent Android games? I'm not much for Hill Top Racer or Angry Birds, and I'm out of ideas.
I'm not a Mobile Gamer, so I can't really help you out here, but Lord British is supposedly bringing Ultima Forever to the Android (and PC) sometime after the iOS release, so that's something worth checking out.

Years
I'm glad that you're enjoying FF Dimensions; I remember playing that game once, and, I did enjoy it myself, but unfortunately, I didn't get to finish it because it was only burrowed from my friends. I have to say, that McPixel game looked sort of weird to me at first, because I haven't heard of a completely pixelated game, other than the games for the NES, so I guess the style stood out to me. Anywho, it does it look interesting!

Yes, although admittedly I havn't gotten to far in the game yet. I can see where it might become mediocore in the long run, but at the moment I'm on too much of a nostagia rush to care! :3

Years
  • Age 16
  • Seen May 28, 2019
So I'm just about to dive into Advance Wars without knowing anything about it aside from the fact it's from the guys behind Fire Emblem and it's an SRPG like it. After hearing about Intelligent's System interest in coming back to that I wanted to see why everyone likes it so much.

Am I in for something good? I like Fire Emblem (not Awakening's modern anime artstyle and waifu ******** though.) so the idea of a cartoony military version of it sounds so neat, but I don't know the differences between them. Can someone fill me in without getting too spoilery? Since I won't be playing for a while but would like to know. EDIT: OK, so it's not an RPG. Just found out.

Also, Luigi's Mansion 2 is the best 3DS game out there. So good. Expected nothing less from the developers of the brilliance that is Punch Out on the Wii. Just beat it and anyone who has the 3DS must own it. It just beat 3D Land and Kid Icarus Uprising for me and so easily too. It's also better the original, and I loved that game.

Last edited:

machomuu

Stuck in Hot Girl Summer
Years
Oh, the two are incredibly different. They're not as character based, no permadeaths, you can spawn and respawn units, there's more capture involved, and the stories are lighter...well, except for my personal favorite in the series, Days of Ruin (which is ball-bustingly hard).

I definitely recommend Days of Ruin. The story is the best I've seen so far and the art is also very good, an interesting departure from the series' normal art style. Oh, and it's dark. Very dark. Not 999 dark...more Devil Survivor (2) dark.

Miss Doronjo

Gaiden
Years
So I'm just about to dive into Advance Wars without knowing anything about it aside from the fact it's from the guys behind Fire Emblem and it's an SRPG like it. After hearing about Intelligent's System interest in coming back to that I wanted to see why everyone likes it so much.

Am I in for something good? I like Fire Emblem (not Awakening's modern anime artstyle and waifu ******** though.) so the idea of a cartoony military version of it sounds so neat, but I don't know the differences between them. Can someone fill me in without getting too spoilery? Since I won't be playing for a while but would like to know. EDIT: OK, so it's not an RPG. Just found out.

You're essentially just controlling units in Advance wars, while in Fire Emblem, each unit is a completely different individual with its own backstory, dialogues and possibilities. So... that's what also makes permadeath an important thing in the series: you can easily grow attached to one of your characters,and then have that unit accidentally die in battle.

Therefore, if you like character customization, stats, weapons, and all that, you'd probably prefer Fire Emblem, and If you like pure strategy, you would probably prefer Advance Wars. But, imo, they're both great series.

Also, Luigi's Mansion 2 is the best 3DS game out there. So good. Expected nothing less from the developers of the brilliance that is Punch Out on the Wii. Just beat it and anyone who has the 3DS must own it. It just beat 3D Land and Kid Icarus Uprising for me and so easily too. It's also better the original, and I loved that game.

Yeah, I love the game too; it's definately right up there with Kid Icarus Uprising and Fire Emblem: Awakening, imo.

Pinkie-Dawn

Vampire Waifu
Years
Luigi's Mansion 2 really is amazing, even though the missions really did limit my time of exploration throughout each mansion trying to find hidden cash and boos.

BTW, this guys is predicting another video game crash that's affecting all companies but Microsoft due to the effects of the recession in 2008. here's the link to the video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XZxXEidtxHk

You think he's correct? Is he the end all God analyist on video game quality?

Years
  • Age 16
  • Seen May 28, 2019
Oh, the two are incredibly different. They're not as character based, no permadeaths, you can spawn and respawn units, there's more capture involved, and the stories are lighter...well, except for my personal favorite in the series, Days of Ruin (which is ball-bustingly hard).
You're essentially just controlling units in Advance wars, while in Fire Emblem, each unit is a completely different individual with its own backstory, dialogues and possibilities. So... that's what also makes permadeath an important thing in the series: you can easily grow attached to one of your characters,and then have that unit accidentally die in battle.

Therefore, if you like character customization, stats, weapons, and all that, you'd probably prefer Fire Emblem, and If you like pure strategy, you would probably prefer Advance Wars. But, imo, they're both great series.
Thanks. Sounds pretty awesome. Can't wait to try to give it a try later. Never was a fan of RPGs so a pure strategy sounds pretty great to me, as great as Fire Emblem is.

Good to know about no permadeaths. It works in Fire Emblem because it's an RPG but I don't want to keep restarting whenever a character I like dies in a pure strategy game. lol

I definitely recommend Days of Ruin. The story is the best I've seen so far and the art is also very good, an interesting departure from the series' normal art style. Oh, and it's dark. Very dark. Not 999 dark...more Devil Survivor (2) dark.
I'm gonna start the game chronologically if I end up liking the first game, so I'm afraid that's gonna be the last one for me to try. Though I took a look and I can't say I like the new artstyle and darker tone, since the real reason I even considered trying the series is because of the cartoony charm it looks to have. I also don't like the character designs. (Except for this guy. He's a bad guy right? Hope he is. Amazing design.)

Also was looking to expand on my GBA library. Any recommendations? I used to have a lot of games but most of them were bootlegs. Right now I have the ambassador games, Rhythm Tengoku (CIB!), Warioware Twisted (CIB!), Pokemon R/S/E (had leaf green, but lost it) and Advance Wars soon. I wanted Fire Emblem 7 but jesus the prices are ridiculous. Right now I'm looking towards getting Hajime no Ippo: The Fighting seeing as that's one of my favorite animes and the game's apparently good. Is Dragon Ball Advance Adventures good? Big fan of the original Dragon Ball. (I also liked Buu's Fury back then but it doesn't appeal to me anymore, and I hate the Buu Saga anyway lol.)

Last edited:

Pinkie-Dawn

Vampire Waifu
Years
I know if there's another Video Game crash, that Nintendo will already have a leg up with the Wii U. That's mostly because, as it seems, the next Xbox will have always-online DRM incorporated into the system, which will probably drive sales away, and it's likely with the PS4. Since Nintendo doesn't yet have such ridiculous DRM in their system, they'll have a customer base that doesn't have to worry about such crazy restrictions implemented in their system. They know this is the right thing to do because they also have successful handhelds, namely, every single handheld they released. They realize that always-online DRM is just crazy, so if the next consoles from Sony and MS have such DRM, expect their sales to only go downhill.

But according to the guy from the video, Nintendo may be the new victim to this hypothethical video game crash for being behind from Microsoft and Sony in terms of hardware.

Years
But according to the guy from the video, Nintendo may be the new victim to this hypothethical video game crash for being behind from Microsoft and Sony in terms of hardware.

hardware usually isn't the defining issue though. If that's what was the key component in a consumers choice then Sony would have a domination in the market. Although I could see Nintendo falling victim (or possible gain) from a video game crash because both Sony and Microsoft have assets in things besides Gaming Consoles, if there isn't a profit in it, they could always move on.

and then sega can swoop in and wow us with the Dreamcast 2, revitilizing the market, and making all my dreams come true...

Sir Codin

I got into Planescape: Torment a lot better than I thought I would. It really is an interesting game and I'm so looking forward to Torment: Tides of Numenera.

Years
I thought this would be a good time to bring it up and all, pre-release with all the discussion going on now. Especially with the 3rd season of it recently ending (most of you should know what I am talking about now).

The Walking Dead: Survival Instinct.

I am really looking forward to this. I haven't had an awful amount of time to have an in-depth look at it yet because of refurbishments and my computer being moved round. What I really love is that you get to play Daryl; he has grown such a fan base, and me being a fan, am looking forward to killing some zombies with his trademark crossbow. Not too sure if they have mentioned anything of the sort, but I would love if his character traits were included such as tracking and hunting. But with hunting comes tracking, so if his hunting skills are included I would expect to have tracking thrown in there, too.

Years
I've only heard mediocre things about the game. I still havn't had the chance to play it, but I've looked at some reviews and first impressions videos and they don't look too kindly on the game. Of course at the end of the day it's your decision to make, but from what I can tell you might just want to rent it first.

Here are a few reviews for the game.

Spoiler:

Pinkie-Dawn

Vampire Waifu
Years
The Walking Dead: Survival Instinct.

I am really looking forward to this. I haven't had an awful amount of time to have an in-depth look at it yet because of refurbishments and my computer being moved round. What I really love is that you get to play Daryl; he has grown such a fan base, and me being a fan, am looking forward to killing some zombies with his trademark crossbow. Not too sure if they have mentioned anything of the sort, but I would love if his character traits were included such as tracking and hunting. But with hunting comes tracking, so if his hunting skills are included I would expect to have tracking thrown in there, too.

The game really isn't that good, as I expected, and even my brother knows that after watching a video poking fun of the enemy A.I., if those video reviews David posted weren't enough. Just goes to show the TellTale game, despite you being disappointed about it, is still the superior game adaption.

tabor62

[b][color=#CADB5A]W[/color][color=#C8DA4F]h[/color
Years
Hmm, seems like Microsoft is planning to unveil their answer to the Wii U and the PS4 on May 21st. Anybody planning to get one from the get go?

Spoiler:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back