• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

256/240 color Titlescreen (Firered)

Years
  • Age 105
  • Seen Oct 9, 2021
I may be out of line here, but if I may make a small suggestion:

I tried this a few times, the result being similar to that of some others who have posted in this thread, with the image being jumbled up in the top left corner.
After a while, I figured out that on the last bit of step 6, when pressing write to ROM, I needed to check the "automatically fix pointers" box.
This checkbox was not ticked by default and, since it wasn't explicitly mentioned that I had to check it in the tutorial, I at first assumed it not to be necessary.

Maybe the above is completely wrong, and if so, feel free to put me in my rightful place :P

If I am right though, I think adding a little note at the end of part 6 saying "remember to check the fix pointers box" or something to that effect could prevent people from having this problem in the future.

Years
The one that i put in
2vjy3ax.jpg

How it came out in game
711wqq.jpg

Why is this happening?????

Last edited:

BlackStorm20x

Content Creator
Years
Can this work with Ruby? When I open it in NLZ, it stops responding. Or do I need the Ruby palette numbers? Because I want my title screen to look like my avatar picture, just without work in progress.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Jul 22, 2016
Why does my titlescreen show those messed up blocks?

They're along the bottom where the press start should be and it makes a sideways L with the blocks. It is as if they're the transparent ones but the color I chose is completely different. I can't post a link because I have posted 15 times yet lol so if anyone is willing to help direct message me and I can link up the image!

Last edited:

Sniper

ふゆかい
Years
Why does my titlescreen show those messed up blocks?

They're along the bottom where the press start should be and it makes a sideways L with the blocks. It is as if they're the transparent ones but the color I chose is completely different. I can't post a link because I have posted 15 times yet lol so if anyone is willing to help direct message me and I can link up the image!

The answer is you made a mistake. Do it all over again. That's how mine got done right lol

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Jul 22, 2016
I did redo it like 3-5 different times lol, I even did it like it said to load the raw in 16bit verses 256. Didn't matter which one I did it in, it comes out like the picture I attached. Now that couldn't be a transparency problem could it?

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Jul 22, 2016
The answer is you made a mistake. Do it all over again. That's how mine got done right lol

*sigh* So I took a couple days off to think about ideas. I created a background image (because when I index the first color it makes most of the black in my image transparent or indexed) and tried doing it that way. I follow everything like it says and BAM! Different image I created all together but same exact error blocks. Now, I am stopping at stage 6, stage 7 talks about the blinking blocks or transparency. Could those error blocks be the ones considered? But even then, the new image I created, difference indexed color, still has the same exact blocks I linked previously messed up...hmmm

Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen Feb 15, 2015
Who can help solve my problem?
So I followed every step exactly the way it was written,
but when I launched my game, everything was fine, but,
the supposed-to-be-black edges on the letters are all weird coloured.
That's the only problem, really.

P.S. I cannot post any pictures since I haven't posted enough.

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen Apr 3, 2016
I've followed all the instructions and got this result:
vy2uqt.png

Any idea what problem it could be? I thought about the imported files to remove charizard / flames / gamefreak, but I can't think about what could be wrong...

Years
  • Seen Dec 17, 2018
this is prolly gonna get locked -.-, completely stopping this thread from helping anyone. But i need help when i follow this, it takes outlike almost all my shades and its not the same image like yours shows it BARELY being changed

Boured

The Guildmaster
Years
I think It went pretty well since it was my first time using it thank you very much and to whoever shall see this it will all make sense in time :3

Spoiler:

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen Jul 26, 2017
Very nice tutorial! There were a few things that weren't very clear to me in the tutorial that caused me to struggle a bit.

To anyone trying this tutorial make sure you check the "automatically fix pointers" box in unlz-gba when writing your tilemap to the ROM (Step 6) as this box is not checked by default. aSeRo141414 finds this out in earlier posts.

Another thing to make sure you have repointed your bitmap to an offset that has enough memory for your bitmap (Step 4). Repointing to 800000 caused some strange glitches in my title screen and caused my ROM to crash when reaching the name player screen, but this might be due to me using JPAN's hacked engine. In any case, it wouldn't hurt to repoint to an offset that you know has enough memory for the bitmap. To do this, use FSF and enter the number of bytes you need for the bitmap (in my case around 45000 bytes) and make sure to search from the 800000 offset.

After the tutorial and these additional steps, I managed to get my title screen working! Thanks so much Black Charizard!

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Aug 20, 2017
Very nice tutorial! There were a few things that weren't very clear to me in the tutorial that caused me to struggle a bit.

To anyone trying this tutorial make sure you check the "automatically fix pointers" box in unlz-gba when writing your tilemap to the ROM (Step 6) as this box is not checked by default. aSeRo141414 finds this out in earlier posts.

Another thing to make sure you have repointed your bitmap to an offset that has enough memory for your bitmap (Step 4). Repointing to 800000 caused some strange glitches in my title screen and caused my ROM to crash when reaching the name player screen, but this might be due to me using JPAN?s hacked engine. In any case, it wouldn?t hurt to repoint to an offset that you know has enough memory for the bitmap. To do this, use FSF and enter the number of bytes you need for the bitmap (in my case around 45000 bytes) and make sure to search from the 800000 offset.

After the tutorial and these additional steps, I managed to get my title screen working! Thanks so much Black Charizard!

I will see if I can restore the images to a different upload location as some of the things might be visible in the images. Also will add the details from your post to it, thanks for the addition.

Back