• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

3rd Gen What Do You Think Is The Best Hoenn Starter?

Years
Treecko evolution family looks the coolest out of the three and they arguably have the best signature move in Gen III.

dd409

For the Swarm!
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Aug 4, 2013
It's undeniable that Mudkip has the most utility of the three, but I've always had a soft spot for Torchic. It's just so adorable, and Blaziken was the OG Fire/Fighting type.

Zero°

Mirai Nikki
Years
Grass Pokemon are pretty useless in-game, so I usually go with Torchic or Mudkip.

KorpiklaaniVodka

KID BUU PAWAA
Years
Sceptile. Blaziken is ugly and overrated, and it's also Uberz in gen 5 for some reason. Swampert is ok and I like using it since it's Water/Ground but it is a bit ugly. Sceptile is awesome and very underrated, with access to moves like Leaf Storm, Focus Blast and Rock Slide. It also looks cooler than the other two.
I prefer Treecko for the first stage and Marshtomp for the second one.

Ace.

Love Yourself
Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen Dec 29, 2015
My favorite is Torchic. It's an awesome starter and a really powerful one too considering it's in Ubers. It just shows how strong it really is.

pokemasta92

3rd Gen. Enthusiast
Years
  • Age 31
  • USA
  • Seen Dec 28, 2021
Torchic obviously. It's final evolved form Blaziken can punch and kick you with fire. That's awesome. End of story.

Years
  • Seen Dec 10, 2014
Mudkip every single time, hands down. Again, purely for how badass Swampert is and the ability to annihilate with ground moves too!

Jumpleet

Rise Above The Rest
Years
I personally go with Treecko most of the time, mostly because I think Leaf Blade is the coolest sounding move for a grass-type.

Mackenzie

Say Somethin'!
Years
I was debating between torchic and mudkip, but finally decided to go with mudkip. Judging from its advantages in the main game, Mudkip evolves into marshtomp which makes quick work of Rustboro, Mauville, Lavaridge, fortree(if having ice beam), mossdeep(again, if possessing ice beam would have advantage over ) City Gym granted with its immunity to electric type moves, it also has access to ice beam, if ever you're worried of grass types, and Drake. The only problem you will be having is Wallace's Ludicolo on emerald (assuming you didn't over-level your Swampert, or you forgot to bring a grass type counter as you will be up for a difficult time).

Shizzable

The Derpiest One Of All
Years
Well, let's look at a quick rundown

Treecko - Awesome, fast, great to use just because of pure badassness. However, it needs to go through a line of breeding to be truly great.

Mudkip - I don't have a lot of experience with it, but from what I can tell it's on the more powerful side, only one weakness which can be covered.

Torchic - The original Fire/Fighting, plus it's an Uber! Need I say more?

Overall I like Torchic the best. Great design, original typing, awesome moves... Although all of them are really good.

Meaii

The countdown begins ...
Years
Torchic

There is 3 reasons why I always choose Torchic over Treecko and Mudkip.

• Torchic is so cute! <3
  • Blaziken is so beefy and it can literally take out everything with it's wide range of moves.
  • A few weeks ago I did some Pokémon Emerald solo runs with the starters, I never was able to finish with Mudkip and Treecko, but Torchic did the job.

Dark Zapdos

Arose from Darkness
Years
treecko is my favourite starter of all time and when it finally evolves into sceptile it just destroys everything before its touched. Both mudkip and torchic are great starters also.

Savant

Natural Born Breeder
Years
Mudkip of course, cos he gains a Ground-type when he evolves meaning he is really good at countering Wattson easily. I also had the best time playing when I picked Mudkip, since his evos have only one weakness and decent defensive stats.

This. I learned very early on that my Mudkip slash Marshtomp can easily counter the first four gyms. Water attacks deal with Roxanne and Flannery easily, Mud Shot OHKO's all of Wattson's Pokemon and well Brawly you can work around using Marshtomp's defenses, Bide and potions.

Also Marshtomp is generally the derpest of the three making him my favorite. And the fact that he's water/ground (two of my favorite types and possibly my favorite type combination) is just so much better.

But if I couldn't pick Mudkip for some strange reason, I'd go with Treecko for speed and I like it's evolution line more than Torchic's, aesthetically.

Elaitenstile

I am legend
Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Feb 27, 2015
Mudkip.

It says that in Hoenn they don't get no physical water moves right. Check.
It says that in Hoenn Sceptile can pwn Wallace and Juan. Check.
It says that in Hoenn Blaziken is just too powerful. Check.
It says that in Hoenn Swampert is not at all looking cool, unlike Blaziken and Sceptile. Check.

Who cares?
Swampert has been my fave since the day I've taken Mudkip. Even by considering that its attack goes higher than Special Attack, it can still hold ground with the Special Moves and give you an intake of true Earthquake horror. Savvy?

Besides, Swampert has actually a great defense, and in Hoenn, Grass types are a rarity. Pwned Sydney with Brick Break, Pwned Phoebe with Earthquake, Pwned Glacia again with Brick Break, Pwned Drake with Ice Beam, and then Steven with a combination of them.
Wallace of course, with Brick Break.

Back