• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Released] JohtoBlaziken's Bootleg Pokémon FireRed: A ROM base without the ROM [DEMO v0.6]

Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Jul 1, 2018
JohtoBlaziken's Bootleg Pok?mon FireRed: A ROM base without the ROM [DEMO v0.6]

hrSYAuu.png

- A ROM base without the ROM -

XBN9SKT.png

Current release: Download Demo v0.6 here!

Includes all of Kanto (maps, NPCs, trainers, encounters...), almost all music tracks as looped .oggs, and is mainly lacking polish.

Next up: gym puzzles, finishing cutscenes, miscellaneous polish

Pok?mon FireRed, recreated in Pok?mon Essentials:

All maps, all NPCs, all battles, all encounters, all music, which you can use any way you want. Use the power of Pok?mon Essentials on a classic Pok?mon game!

You can...
- Modify the game in small ways (add Pok?mon, add extra things to do, play with the story)
- Modify the game in huge ways (make a completely new game set in Kanto, or maybe add an extra region to FireRed)
- Add Kanto to your own game (an easy way to add extra regions!)
- Use the code as a reference to learn how to do things (Want to know how to set up events/trainers/legendaries? FireRed does it somewhere!)

3rd gen charm with 4th gen style:

FireRed is almost exactly how you remember it. But the battle system/sprites/Pok?dex is just like in vanilla Essentials, with crisp sprites.

Ready to change any way you want:

The code is clearly commented and everything is just like it is in vanilla Essentials. Add all the Pok?mon and scripts you want---if you can easily make a change in vanilla Essentials, you can easily make a change here!

LIST OF FEATURES:

151 + 3 catchable Pok?mon (also includes up to Gen V, and you can add more yourself):

f1QuvX6.png

8 gyms:

EjBGf2p.png

4 legends (plus three dogs and possibly Mew):

JahKlHF.png

3 starters:

Do4ADXM.png

2 genders:

8N6srHv.png

1 evil team:

ml488Ye.png

- All of mainland Kanto recreated, including all indoor areas/dungeons (no Sevii islands though, since this took long enough)
- Placement of each individual grass tile type matches original game
- Nice-looking, game-accurate exclamation mark animation
- Charizard cry when you press start on title screen
- All NPCs in FireRed/LeafGreen
- All trainers + trainer battles from FireRed/LeafGreen
- All items placed in same places as FireRed/LeafGreen
- All Pokemon encounters in FRLG (where the two had version differences, I did an average of the two)
- All events (cutscenes, rival battles, Oak Pokedex ratings...)
- All FRLG music, in the form of properly looped .ogg files
-1 rival (that you can name!)
- Magikarp weighing minigame faithfully reproduced

STILL NEEDS TO BE DONE:

- General polishing/looking for errors (this could take a while)
- Some gym puzzles
- Teleporters/gates
- Fixing legendary movesets
- Post-game stuff like National dex and Elite Four rematches
- Adding in special events (Raikou/Entei/Suicune roaming, possibly a Mew event)
- Changing a bunch of battlebacks to match maps
- Giving all locations a place on the town map (about half left)
- Making certain sounds game-accurate (door opening sounds, for example)
- Fixing intro/ending
- Removing extraneous maps/files
- Updating to latest version of Essentials

GIANT LIST OF INCLUDED MAPS:

(see map pack thread for more detail, including what non-Kanto maps are included)

Spoiler:

MISC. SCREENSHOTS:
Spoiler:

CREDITS:

Pokemon Essentials - Mainly Maruno (with the help of volunteers for things like All Animations), plus older work of Flameguru, Poccils
Spriters Resource - lots of sprites that weren't in vanilla Essentials
Nuri Yuri for RGSS FmodEx extension that allows looping .oggs
FL for diploma and Pokemon picture scripts
KleinStudio for footprints script and fly animation script
Desbrina and dbzfanatic for adding ghosts tutorial
Franzo for changing wild Pokemon moveset code snippet
Gamer2020 for Pokemon Game Editor (most user-friendly package of GBA Pokemon ROM hacking tools)
LU-HO Poke for Advance Map (best GBA Pokemon map editor, which I needed to extract map and event info)
HackMew for creating XSE (best GBA Pokemon scripting language)
diegoisawesome for lots of detailed offset knowledge
Everyone who's contributed to Visual Boy Advance, a lovely GBA emulator
Dreadwing93 for beautiful 80x80 Gen V Pokemon backsprites
[MORE TO COME...NEED TO REVIEW ALL OF STUFF IN PROJECT]

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I've been working on this on and off (mostly off) since quite a long time ago, when I first found Essentials. I dreamed, like a lot of people, of making a Pokemon game with all regions---or at least lots of content from my favorites! A lot has changed since then, but I still hope that this remake of FireRed will be useful to others getting into Essentials and learning how to make their own games.

Let me know if you have any suggestions for reasonable features (but not add another region or make major changes to stuff) or comments about things that need fixing. I probably won't add the Sevii Islands or Gen VI/VII, since those are major additions that will take some time to implement.

Enjoy!

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Jul 1, 2018
I figured I have more than enough to start showing what I have, and that it would be useful for people that might want to use the Kanto maps and other things to just release a rough rough version now.

DEMO v0.5 RELEASE:

- All of Kanto mapped (indoor areas, outdoor areas, dungeons)
- (Almost) all NPCs (at most 5 are missing in all of Kanto)
- All trainers
- All encounters
- (Almost) all items (all the items on the ground, plus lots of others)
- (Almost) all cutscenes (need some polish though)

Still more to do: I especially want to focus on looping all of the music, since I've started that already. Anyway, enjoy!

Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Jul 1, 2018
Thanks to icsir3 and Zeak6464 for testing out v0.5 and reporting some issues. Here is an updated version that fixes those issues, and adds some cool new things.

Mainly: almost all of FireRed's music is included as looped .oggs! This was a major undertaking, since it required me to loop forty something songs by hand in Audacity.

DEMO v0.6 RELEASE:

- (almost) all music from FireRed included as looped .oggs, looped by hand in Audacity. See the file loopsheet.xlsx in the main directory for loopstart/loopend/looplength information. Only a few miscellaneous music files not looped and included yet (Mewtwo battle, end songs).
- Kanto dex/National dex diplomas added (FL's script used, with FRLG diploma ripped and edited by me)
- Some missing encounters added
- Correct Pokemon center door-opening sounds implemented
- Pictures show when you enter dungeons (Mt. Moon, Viridian Forest, etc)
- Pewter roadblock event fixed
- Running shoes aide event fixed

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 13, 2023
Really nice job! I can appreciate how much work went into making something like this. :]

Do you plan on doing the rest of the Sevi Isles? I see only Four Island is partially done at the moment.

------------------------
Also if you'd like, I ripped and converted the Swift Water into an autotile a while ago. If you'd like to use that where the games did, feel free: https://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=398387

The way I implemented Swift Water in my own game is I assigned it a new Terrain Tag first:
Spoiler:

...Then I altered pbSurf like this:
Spoiler:

...Then to implement it, I assigned the swift water autotiles the standard Water Terrain Tag (7), then created an invisible tile the Swift Water Terrain Tag and placed it on the topmost layer on the maps along the water's edge wherever the player can interact with the water.

Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Jul 1, 2018
Really nice job! I can appreciate how much work went into making something like this. :]

Do you plan on doing the rest of the Sevi Isles? I see only Four Island is partially done at the moment.

------------------------
Also if you'd like, I ripped and converted the Swift Water into an autotile a while ago. If you'd like to use that where the games did, feel free: https://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=398387

Thank you for the kind words! I just hope it will be useful to people.

I don't currently plan on doing the rest of the Sevii Islands (or even finishing Four Island), but we'll see how things go. The main issue is that, even though all of Kanto is mapped and (almost) all of the NPCs are placed, there are tons of things that keep popping up that need to be done. As an example of a minor thing that doesn't affect much but is annoying to do, I need to reimplement the TMs that are in Gen III but not in Essentials. I probably won't be done with mainland Kanto for a few months, and by then I might not have time to keep working. But we'll see! I also wonder if it would be more interesting to spend that time doing Johto or Hoenn instead.

Also, thank you for ripping/figuring out/implementing swift water and writing out those instructions! That was one of the issues I ran into when thinking about the Sevii Islands. It's awesome that you've figured that out and shared it publicly.

Years
  • Age 21
  • Seen Nov 28, 2022
Is this the same as what you posted in Game Dev?s Resources subforum, or is there a difference I?m not aware of?

Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Jul 1, 2018
The download link is the same, but the reason for posting is a little bit different. Here I am showcasing the fact that I've made a full game; there I am providing a bunch of maps, some of which are not from this project (a FireRed remake), but just maps I've made over the years (from Johto, Hoenn, Sinnoh). In the future the other thread will have some extra map-related stuff, like a version with just the maps and no NPCS, for example.

I think both aspects of this resource (the full game, and a bunch of maps from frequently used regions) are interesting and useful in their own right.

Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Jul 1, 2018
Just curious would it be possible to update the graphics to gen 4 and use this in my fan game?

Yes, absolutely feel free to use it and modify it however! Also, I've gotten a suggestion to add in different tileset/charset packs so that the option is there to use different graphic styles (maybe gen II, gen IV, etc). I am not sure when I will do that, though; it is lower priority than finishing the game with the current graphic style.

mewlover22

Pokemon Creator
Years
Yes, absolutely feel free to use it and modify it however! Also, I've gotten a suggestion to add in different tileset/charset packs so that the option is there to use different graphic styles (maybe gen II, gen IV, etc). I am not sure when I will do that, though; it is lower priority than finishing the game with the current graphic style.

Okay keep up the good work.

Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Jul 1, 2018
Mew is now available as a Mystery Gift! Look forward to seeing it in the next demo!

2LiPdYt.png

There's a couple historical nods in there. It's at level 7 because that's the level you find it at when you do one of the Mew glitches in the original Red/Blue. The moveset (just Pound) is also what it would have at level 7 in Red/Blue.

The OT is MYSTRY and the ID is 06930---both of those correspond to the info of the Mew given away in a Pokemon Emerald-era event distribution.

It's Timid because that's a common nature to run on a competitive Mew set, and it comes with perfect IVs.

Finally, it comes with a Premier Ribbon, which was the ribbon attached to the HGSS-era event Mew.

Do you have any ideas for cool event Pokemon to include? Let me know!

Years
Aaaaaaa I think I'm going to go crazy.

I am nearing the end of my first release of a remake of FRLG myself.

A resource like this about a year ago would have been very helpful!

I can attest that this would have taken a very long time, so hats off to you for that.

Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Jul 1, 2018
Aaaaaaa I think I'm going to go crazy.

I am nearing the end of my first release of a remake of FRLG myself.

A resource like this about a year ago would have been very helpful!

I can attest that this would have taken a very long time, so hats off to you for that.

I feel your pain. After sitting on this project for a while, I rushed to put it out recently because I was worried someone else would have beat me to it (and it turns out you would have!).

But you should still put yours out! I'm sure there's some things you better, and some things I did better; we can both learn from each other's work. Also, where arbitrary choices are involved, some people may prefer the way you did things.

Can you say some more about your project? I am really interested to hear about it, given that I also know quite well how much of a pain it is. Also, if you'd like, we can work together going forward.

Years
I feel your pain. After sitting on this project for a while, I rushed to put it out recently because I was worried someone else would have beat me to it (and it turns out you would have!).

But you should still put yours out! I'm sure there's some things you better, and some things I did better; we can both learn from each other's work. Also, where arbitrary choices are involved, some people may prefer the way you did things.

Can you say some more about your project? I am really interested to hear about it, given that I also know quite well how much of a pain it is. Also, if you'd like, we can work together going forward.

Sure, I'd be glad to give you some details. I'll save the full details for release (hopefully very soon!)

It is essentially an updated remake of FRLG with Gen 7 mechanics including all the new moves, physical/special split and Fairy types. I've also included Johto Pokemon in Kanto and any later-introduced evolutions like Rhyperior and Weavile. The data for all 807 Pokemon is in place, but some from Gen 7 are missing graphics or their abilities have not been fully coded yet.

There is some expansion to the story line including receiving the ability to Mega Evolve and the inclusion of another rival in Red/Leaf. Gym Leaders will start to use Mega Evolution themselves and there are new stalls that sell things like the Incense items. And I've taken liberties with the original a little to add some new areas, NPCs and dialogue (in the same way that FRLG did for RBY).

I've not yet had the chance to look at your project although I hope to do so later tonight. It sounds particularly promising and has polish in areas that mine doesn't (official music, correct exclamation bubble effect etc.). I do have the first three Sevii Islands however!

Thank you for the suggestion of working together, although I'd have to have a think about it. Nothing against you of course, it's more the fact that I'm a little burnt out, due to go on holiday soon and will want to keep improving my project for a while before I move on. I'll check out your project and release my one first, but in principle I'm more than happy to collaborate so that we don't end up repeating each other's work!

Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Jul 1, 2018
How about adding the possibility to join team rocket? Put in a twist no one would expect.

That is a really cool idea! But I will have to say no to cool ideas like that; I'll leave that to you to make! My goal here is to make FireRed pretty much as it is (with some cool easter eggs thrown in here and there), so that other people can let their imaginations run wild.

Speaking of cool easter eggs...

Fi3gUTH.png

I put MISSINGNO. in the game! It has the same sprites/type/stats/cry/moveset/TM moves that it did in Gen I. It has three abilities:

1. download,
2. cursed body (because it's cursed!!), and
3. wonder guard (I couldn't resist).

I am thinking of letting it be a very rare encounter off the coast of Cinnabar Island, to reference the most common way to meet it in Red/Blue.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

By the way, check out Zerokid's recently released demo of her FRLG remake if this project interests you. Apparently we have been working in parallel towards the same goal! She has some really cool ideas about how to remix FRLG that I didn't think of, and I hope to liberally borrow some of those for a future version.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 50
  • Seen Sep 15, 2018
Looking forward to 1.0.
Always wanted a gen 1-7 with multiregion, based on all the offical games but edited to make it all consistant toward a single plot character.

Years
Managed to play through a small amount of this. The general quality and attention to detail is excellent, so I apologise for the nitpicky tone of the following criticisms! Hopefully if you're anything like me then criticism is exactly what you want to make your project better. Without further ado:

• The music, sound effects and exclamation effects are excellent, particularly the fact that the background music plays for when you're following Oak. The Rival's music when he leaves the lab overlaps the current BGM however.
  • The beginning title sequence crashes the game for me with an error saying that the scripts were taking too long to load. I played through the RMXP debugger.
  • You lose money to your Rival if you lose the first battle against him, whereas this doesn't happen in FRLG. Switch 33 can prevent this for you.
  • NPCs with random pathing can walk all over the map rather than being constrained to a small rectangle.
  • Map names show up on the save screen, and some names aren't really suitable for this.
  • I stand in awe at the fact that you mapped each different individual grass tile correctly! I gave up on that and took the lazy way out, making every grass tile the same.
  • Poke Balls loading on to the machine at the Poke Centers doesn't seem to work.
  • "We've restored your Pokemon to\lfull health." Note the "\l" in there.
  • PC screens don't light up.
  • Daisy's House -> I think this should be [Rival Name]'s House but I'm not 100% without checking.

Back