• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Suggestion: 'Facebook Chat' style chat?

Ultraviolence

alt account for Eros
Years
  • Age 28
  • UK
  • Seen Sep 3, 2019
Yeah I was thinking. I know the possibilities of chat on a forum are pretty big, like Profiles, Threads, Groups and PM, but maybe a more Instant style of chat could be good? Like having it on your screen all the time on the bottom like on facebook could be a nice Idea. It will add some degree of privacy.

I could be impossible I'd admit but it would be another great perk for everyone. Yet it could fail, some people could have many people online at a time. I think though, that maybe with all the possible ways of contact on this AMAZING (lol, suckupmuch? <3) forum, that people wouldn't be so struck on the idea.

Feedback please.

shot571

I like the idea. though i seem to remember the staff dont really like this becoming like fb. But if it was my choice id do it.

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Dec 30, 2023
Why not join our irc channel? It also has the option to have private chats with those logged on. I'm not sure the server could handle that much if we were to have an on forum chat box, besides, this is a forum and not so much a social networking site. So try that out, and please, do feel free to spread the word to your contacts.

Ultraviolence

alt account for Eros
Years
  • Age 28
  • UK
  • Seen Sep 3, 2019
I actually think that making this more like facebook would make it seem more attractive to some people. But the irc channel I really hate for some people. Never mind.

I'd like that fact of having a box floating on my screen as I browse the forum.

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Dec 30, 2023
I actually think that making this more like facebook would make it seem more attractive to some people. But the irc channel I really hate for some people. Never mind.

I'd like that fact of having a box floating on my screen as I browse the forum.

Let me reiterate that it would have negative effects on the server, the server has issues with a mass amount of people on the forum as it is now, and sometimes we get database errors, I'm sure that even if it could be coded, a Facebook style chat would put further pressure on the forum when we already have a visitor messaging system, a private messaging system, our own irc channel, DCC's and not to mention the fact that yuou could just download an instant messaging client such as MSN/WLM or AIM, or just use Facebook. I would advise that you guys try the alternatives for now.

Ultraviolence

alt account for Eros
Years
  • Age 28
  • UK
  • Seen Sep 3, 2019

Let me reiterate that it would have negative effects on the server, the server has issues with a mass amount of people on the forum as it is now, and sometimes we get database errors, I'm sure that even if it could be coded, a Facebook style chat would put further pressure on the forum when we already have a visitor messaging system, a private messaging system, our own irc channel, DCC's and not to mention the fact that yuou could just download an instant messaging client such as MSN/WLM or AIM, or just use Facebook. I would advise that you guys try the alternatives for now.

I had that I mind after I posted my last comment actually. When I came back to the forum last month, I was met by a crippling server error. LOL.

So yeah. Lock this please. It won't work.

Spinor

<i><font color="b1373f">The Lonely Physicist</font
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Feb 13, 2019
I like the idea of making this more like facebook

If I want to go to a website that looks like Facebook, I'll go to Facebook >_________>

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Apr 13, 2024
I don't see why people say that this isn't a social networking site as a reason to shoot down suggestions like these. That's really close-minded, considering vBulletin has a lot of features that are like social networking communities. If someone suggests a feature that brings something more convenient to the community, then I don't see why it shouldn't at least be considered. This suggestion is much more convenient than visitor messages, and not everyone is comfortable with communicating through IM services to people they meet online much less add them to their Facebook account and use it there. But, as Abnegation pointed out, something like this would have a dramatic effect on our servers (I'd imagine), so that's a reason for me not to give favor for this to happen. If our server wasn't so bad, I would really like to see something like this, though.

Percy Thrillington

The Mad Hatter
Years
  • Seen Jan 1, 2023
I don't see why people say that this isn't a social networking site as a reason to shoot down suggestions like these. That's really close-minded, considering vBulletin has a lot of features that are like social networking communities.

Gonna point out that when the release of vBulletin 4 was building up, it was advertised as a 'new step in the direction of social networking', not as forum software.

Seriously - what's so bad about trying to implement something that's got vague or blatant relations to Facebook or anything else? The Irish government doesn't think we should get some sort of surrogate liquid to keep us hydrated because America has tap water, that's not how the world works.

Melody

Banned
Years
I'm gonna put this out there and say this: No, no, no, not just no but HELL NO!

PC does not need to become a social network thank you very much. It's good enough as it is.

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
PC does not need to become a social network thank you very much. It's good enough as it is.

Like Nick already pointed out, this is pretty close to being a social network place, so you might as well already call it that.

And likes it's been said trillions of times, the idea seems nice, but I do like PC the way it is now. I don't even like Facebook's system half the time. It's just annoying, really. Especially the IM system. OH GOD THE IM SYSTEM. And the server just couldn't handle all that right now. :( So...yeah. Going away now.

Years
I feel it would kill the forum activity a little; posting wise.
If the feature was brought in, I wouldn't really use it too be honest.

Also, you would have to look at privacy rules. Can you talk to anyone you want? Have to be their friend? So on so on. I don't think it would really impact positively on the forum.

Stellar

Minior used Cosmic Power!
Years
I have to be honest, a feature like that would put a big damper on my PC experience. It's a great addition to sites like Facebook where the emphasis is on keeping in touch with friends, and though PC is pretty similar in that regard, it's still a forum. It's primarily for sharing opinions and receiving feedback, not for real-time chatting. That's where clients like AIM, MSN, etc. come into play, and if I'm not mistaken many members already keep in touch with their PC friends via those clients.

Besides, PC already has quite a few modes of communication, all of which I'm perfectly content with. An ever-present chatbar would definitely not be worth the troubles it would come with. That being said, my computer (and I'm sure many others) would hate it like poison and probably slow considerably. So... that's a no from me.

Cilerba

the hearts of lonely people
Years
I think this is a great idea. I just HATE the IRC channel, plus you have to download something before you can start using it anyway- it would be nice to have that option floating beneath your screen.

The only thing that you'd need to download is Java. And you should most likely have that already.

Taemin

move.
Years
  • Age 36
  • USA
  • Seen Apr 2, 2024
For all intents and purposes, PC is a social networking site. XD There IS a chat, there's picture comments, there's profile comments, there's friend lists, and a huge forum to chat on. Not to mention that you can also extremely customize your profiles, change the site's theme, etc. >__> PC is in no way just a forum, not anymore at least. Like Nick, I'd love to see something come up, and I don't think it'd be a far stretch if our server could actually handle it. It would be a lot more popular than the other chat, that's for sure. xD;

dragoniteuser

The dragon master
Years
Yeah I was thinking about this, about few months ago...
It would be nice, but then again, IMO improving the VM services(faster receving of VMs, no need to go to your profile and end your current activity to see it,...) would be more practical, and after all a better sollution than a chat box!

To be honest with you, I feel that we just need to encourage more people to join the PC javachat.

Yep. Tried this too, and I must say, it's SO SLOOOW, and very unatractive... Sorry you guys, but I really do not like it!

Back