• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Free To Play!

Khawill

<3
Years
The following games have gone free to play in the past few years. (From subscription)

-Star Wars the Old Republic
-Aion
-Warhammer
-DC Universe
-Dungeons and Dragons

Why do you think these games went free? Because of the MMO titan World of Warcraft, or is it the new way to play Massively Multiplayer Online games?

machomuu

Stuck in Hot Girl Summer
Years
Free to play games or on the rise recently, they gain their currency from microtransactions rather than monthly fees. and as of late, it's become quite popular with consumers, and in turn, developers. The consumer is less likely to play a game that requires a subscription as, in the long run, they will end up paying far more than they would have if they were playing something that were F2P.

Khawill

<3
Years
I don't know about the pay more than long term thing, TOR right now has crazy restrictions on free accounts, even some races you have to buy! (It is like 10$ per race) Then there are other things like being able to equipt a purple or do instances, something that is very much needed in the end game.

WoW on the other hand doesn't need anything else, just pay you 15 and don't sweat anything. The only things bought with real money are completely optional, cosmetic pets/mounts.

Akeraz

Winning is Magic
Years
I don't know about the pay more than long term thing, TOR right now has crazy restrictions on free accounts, even some races you have to buy! (It is like 10$ per race) Then there are other things like being able to equipt a purple or do instances, something that is very much needed in the end game.

Yeah the restrictions are pretty dumb, but I expected nothing less from EA.

also the races aren't that expensive.
It's 600 cartel coins for a race, which is about £3.00 GBP value, which is $4.77 USD.

Or you could just unlock them the normal way by levelling that race to 50.

Catalyst.

Nothing of significance
Years
Free to play (F2P) games are on the rise not only because customers like the concept, but also becasue of piracy - I can copy an install cd to a .iso file and upload it to who knows where, but I can't exactly do the same with a potion, or EXP. Developers are likely to make the same amount, if not more money with F2P - Idk about you, but I'd be much more likely to buy 10 things that are 0.99 than 1 that is 9.99. :3

machomuu

Stuck in Hot Girl Summer
Years
Free to play (F2P) games are on the rise not only because customers like the concept, but also becasue of piracy - I can copy an install cd to a .iso file and upload it to who knows where, but I can't exactly do the same with a potion, or EXP. Developers are likely to make the same amount, if not more money with F2P - Idk about you, but I'd be much more likely to buy 10 things that are 0.99 than 1 that is 9.99. :3
You can't play pirated games online, especially not MMOs; I'm pretty sure piracy isn't a factor.

Vαηєℓℓσρє

ωнαт ωαѕ, ιѕ, αη∂ ωιℓℓ вє...
Years
The truth of the matter is, free MMOs and MOBAs have become much more successful than their counterparts. People don't like being forced to pay money. Making something free with the bonus little quirks you can get with spending by choice makes a game much more enjoyable.

Captain Gizmo

Monkey King
Years
You can't play pirated games online, especially not MMOs; I'm pretty sure piracy isn't a factor.

Actually you can, if that game has private servers. I play World Of Warcraft, but not the retail version. I play a private server where we don't have to pay 15$ per month.

NatureKeeper

People always try to look for the low-cost stuff. If it is free to play, people will just play; and after captivating them they can advertise the in-game items which are now interesting to them to get the cash instead of using a subscription service which people won't bother with in the first place. And people generally don't bother with trials and stuff.

Years
  • Seen Nov 29, 2012
I think everyone has pretty much covered the reasons for f2p (ca$h money) but what f2p games do you guys play?

Right now I play Remnant Knights. it's got a pretty great community and i like the anime-ish graphics. I used to play LOTRO, but i was never that into the setting and i just kinda got bored with it.

Years
  • Seen Sep 18, 2020
Some F2P games are also known as P2W (pay to win) and not without reason. One has to put a lot of hours into a game to get good things if they're a freeloader, and it's usually impossible to unlock everything (even just everything relevant to one character or playstyle) without paying whatever the combined cost of every 'micro'-transaction is, which would probably be equivalent to subscription fees as new content is released periodically. This depends on the game of course, but being someone who doesn't spend money frivilously and least of all on immaterial things, I notice it quite easily. I would find something subscription-based to feel like a more satisfying and complete game, but I don't think $15/month is at all reasonable when the average customer expenditure on F2P games is probably a lot less than that and yet the companies apparently still profit from them. I would prefer a subscription if the provider of it wasn't trying to suck everyone dry for no good reason.

To answer OP's question, I presume that an F2P game requires less of an initial investment to set up and is easier to profit from. While it is not ultimately more profitable, a small company faces less risk in setting an one up. There is also the consumer attitude toward subscriptions, but I don't think that matters for much.

I think everyone has pretty much covered the reasons for f2p (ca$h money) but what f2p games do you guys play?
Blacklight: Retribution
Tribes Ascend
I should also keep playing Eden Eternal, but I'm not really into MMORPGs.

Back