• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Booting Linux

Meganium

[i]memento mori[/i]
Years
So I gave some thought of going back to Linux (Ubuntu) after years of not really using it, just so i could play around with it a bit. I remember back then, Linux is super easy to install within Windows, as well as booting it from a USB flash drive.

I have no idea how much it has changed since I last used it (give or take 5 years ago??), so I wanted to give it a shot one more time, but for some reason the only option it gives me is to boot from USB or DVD. Done the former, but apparently even when I press the boot options on my computer, my computer refuses to boot from USB. I even set my boot order on my BIOS options to prioritize USB booting.

Has anyone been able to do this?

Years
Be sure that you can easily disable SecureBoot and change into CSM Boot within your UEFI settings if you need to in order to run Linux, especially if you have a newer laptop. I'm not so sure on dual-booting myself (since I haven't done it in years), but I just know that those restrictions exist.

Years
just a fair warning i dont know if this been fixed or not if u have windows 10 and try to dual boot with linux it may not work since win10 likes to overwrite the mbr where only win10 is the option

Years
Pretty sure that's been fixed, I think it usually just prioritizes the Windows 10 bootloader, but I've never had it ruin my config, all I've had to do is go back into my UEFI settings and re-organize it such that GRUB is the primary bootloader once again.
ive considered going back to windows 8.1 if microsoft doesnt fix the win update issue im not really into linux since most of my games are windows based

Meganium

[i]memento mori[/i]
Years
Appreciate everyone's tips. I guess the more easier way to do this is to get an older computer, delete the whole hard drive and start from scratch right there. Either that, or I'm just lazy. lmao.

It sucks that I have to go through so many tips just to boot linux on windows 10. Back then, it was so simple to do so.

Back