• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Our dumb newbie moments. Its ok to be human

Years
Prob done loads over the years, but the main one was the first time I ever played pokemon, i got stuck playing Red, I didn't realise you had to go on the ss St Anne to get cut and was stuck In vermelion City for ages til I reset the game as I thought I missed something on the way

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Mar 31, 2024
Pokémon sword was my first Pokémon game I playing I found a shiny I had no idea Pokémon could kill them selfs if three ran out of moves

Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Mar 29, 2024
One of the dumbest mistakes I still make is not taking into account the Overgrow/Blaze/Torrent boost. In my mind those are basically like having no ability, because even when it could make the difference I just tend to forget they exist.

RadEmpoleon

Empress of Randomness
Years
-I remember not knowing how to turn off the caps lock in Diamond for a long time. My character's and rival's name and some of my older Pokemon are in ALL CAPS.
-I was so surprised when Cyrus's Gyarados used earthquake on my Empoleon and knocked it out, because I didn't know a Flying type could learn a Ground type move.
-For the longest time I thought Ghetsis was spelled as "Getsis" (without the H) and I pronounced it as "jeetis"
-My brother pronounced Suicune as "soo-cee-nee" so I said it that way too. I said it to my friend and they had no idea what I was talking about. I said "you know, like Raikou and Entei?" I know how to say it right now lol
-My friend let be borrow their copy of Pokemon X and I never played gen 6 before then. Turns out they saved in the middle of the elite 4 and I had to fight Diantha. I didn't know any gen 6 mons, and I specifically remember seeing Diantha was switching in Gourgeist. I was trying to figure out what Pokemon that was because I'd never heard of it. (I also thought it was pronounced like "gorgeous" for some reason) and my friend had a Florges on their team. I was like "Wait, that's the Pokemon she's about to throw out! No, that's Florges, not Gourgeist!" I got confused because I thought they rhymed.

Lucifer

Fallen1
Years
Both biggest noob moments that resonate with me were in gen 2.

1. When the police officer wanted me to give them the Pokemon thief's name I didn't realize this was this game's rival naming format. I thought I was supposed to identify him as ??? because that's how he identifies himself so he never got an actual name. XD
hqdefault.jpg

In retrospect, though his retaining the mystery of his identity is kind of appropriate and dope.

2. I made it all the way through the Whirl Islands to Lugia before I realized that all I had on me was one Great Ball. Those Whirl Islands were an absolute bitch and I refused to do it again so I saved in front of Lugia (as I always do with significant battles) resolved to just reset until that Great Ball worked. Luck was with me that day however as it worked on the first try.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Nov 21, 2022
I vividly remember playing either FireRed or LeafGreen with my cousin and we spent so much time+pokeballs trying to catch a Kakuna because it seemed pretty strong (multiple Hardens made its defense super high and I think we kept using Tackle or something). Then we brought it out to fight Brock and were so shocked to find it had no damaging moves and got KO'ed immediately by Rock Tomb lol.

Years
  • Age 16
  • Seen Oct 31, 2023
I kinda made my starter Swampert an HM slave, but TBF Strength and Surf are really good moves on him.

I thought status moves can be only used once per battle, so I always used Bulk Up one time when using Hariyama.

Years
idk if this counts as one of those "dumb" newbie moments, but i definitely never really cared to train my pokemon much when i first started playing. i was huge into cheating and gamesharks/action replay at the time, so i would just. feed my pokemon rare candies until they got to 100, lmao. i learned... pretty quickly afterwards that it's a shitty way of training, but at the time i didn't really care.

Years
General newbie moment: Killed 2 shinies in 2 different games because i was scared that they were a different color and sparkled. I thought the game glitched or something.
Emotional newbie moment: Got angry that a Chatot wouldn't stay in even after 10+ Ultra Balls, so I used my Master Ball on it. Cried when I revisited Spear Pillar and realized Dialga reappears lmao.

Back