• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Brilliant Diamond & Shining Pearl] You're put in charge of making BDSP last minute, what would you change and why?

Years
  • Age 32
  • USA
  • Seen Mar 27, 2024
You get a call and/or text from Gamefreak, Nintendo, TPC/TPCi, or whoever to inform you're put in charge now of the games. Money would be no issue and having enough staffing would be no issue as they'd provide all the funds and help you'd need to be successful. You would have been put in charge around the time the first trailer dropped, so would still have time to make changes etc.

So what would you change about the game and why? Would you want it to be more like Sword/Shield, or Let's Go Pikachu/Eevee? I'd personally from what we've seen likely consider making it like it is now. I do not mind the chibi style, but would gladly make the graphics look on par with maybe BOTW or Mario Odyssey.

I've been debating on making this thread just to gather opinion on what others would do if they were the lead producer/designer of the games.

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen today
1. Toggleable settings at the start of the game. Would have challenge-based ones, such as difficulty options, catching restrictions, level caps, and randomization of Pokemon and major trainers. Seeks content-based ones as well, including New/Old HMs, New/Old Experience Share, New/Old moves, New/Old typings, New/Old Pokemon availability, and maybe even New/Old graphics. Desires a more customizable experience, from "close to original" to "a new experience in familiar lands". Permits switching some settings mid-game, particularly difficulty, as able.

2. A new postgame story. Could tie it in with Legends: Arceus. Doubles as good marketing. Warps to either an old time with Dialga or a special, secluded spot with Palkia. (Provides an additional opportunity to catch them, if you did not, of course.) Faces special enraged Pokemon, much like totems. Hopefully introduces lore around one of the legendaries or Sinnoh. Presents this information to fossil people or professors. Sends you either to a location in-game already or perhaps even a small part of another region. Ultimately battles a team lead by Arceus (with itself as the ace).

3. A x2 and x3 game speed option.

4. A new battle game: Safari Tournament. Sends you into the Safari Zone. Must catch a team to battle other entrants for prizes. Randomizes which areas are available each day, and perhaps some of the Pokemon too? Guards against it being too similar day-to-day.

Feels within reach to accomplish. Demands the most development time with #2 or #4, most likely. Usually rolls out #2 for remakes anyways.

Poke fan number 489

pokemon fan
Years
Simple, Make it a full remake package of every game.
I would wait for that as long as it took.

or just add ridable pokemon, I liked that in let's go

Last edited by a moderator:

pkmin3033

Hard to say without actually knowing what is in the game, so I may come back to this thread with another response after this, but going by what we've seen and fairly safe assumptions...

The first thing I'd do is make sure every Pokemon is actually programmed into the game and is obtainable in some form. There is absolutely no reason why this should not be achievable. With the expanded Sinnoh Underground there is more than enough room and opportunity to include Pokemon from Gen V and beyond, and there's absolutely nothing to prevent the addition of new areas - perhaps ones with Legends Arceus links as promotion/retconning - to facilitate this either. After SnS gave us Dexit, I think we're due a game with every Pokemon in it. Long past due, in fact. This includes Legendaries as well, I'm a little tired of them gating those off behind limited-time events or just not bothering to include them at all.

If they're not already in there I'd want the Shaymin, Darkrai, and Arceus events from the original games recreated in the games as well. Perhaps with a little additional lore and/or plot significance - why not have Team Galactic going after Arceus postgame with the Azure Flute? This could tie in nicely to Legends Arceus as well. Also traversing the Distortion World for obtaining Giratina is a must, I don't want it just sitting in Turnback Cave.

I'd want a GB sounds stye feature that added the option to use retro music, too. Available from the beginning of the game, NOT the end of it. I doubt this will be in the game somehow, which is a real shame because it was one of my favourite things about HGSS and with remasters/remakes like this it's always nice to have this as a feature - Xenoblade had it, FFXII had it, and I'd expect this to have it as well.

Also it looks as though outfits are single piece things rather than mix-and-match as they have been in the past: if that's the case, I'd want that changed so that I could pick bits and pieces that appeal to me. The more customisation there is, the better. The range of outfits would be significantly more varied and gender neutral, too. Not only would this be more inclusive, it would also mean that male characters wouldn't be stuck with absolute shit whilst female characters got all the variety, as is often the case with JRPGs and has always been the case with Pokemon. I'd also include the ability to make your own designs.

There are more things. Watch this space.

Palamon

Silence is Purple
Years
Make sure hms don't make it into the game, and replace them with something else. We'd make it so you still can't remove the obstacles without certain gym badges, but they won't be HMs anymore. Something similar to either the ride pager in S/M, the bike in SW/SH. I don't want HMs back, I hate them in Gen IV (they're completely fine in gens i, ii, and v though) and they would ruin/upset the experience for me. I'm pretty sure a Staraptor can easily fly us around the region like a Corvinight can. I don't know what we can do about Rock Climb or Defog. We know Rock Climb already exists from images in trailers, but I'd implement similar things from Sword/Shield and S/M. Maybe we can have different Pokemon do different tasks. A water Pokemon taxi for surfing, a mountain climbing Pokemon (I'll have to get back to this one bc I don't know what's a good sturdy Pokemon that can easily scale a mountain) and a strong Pokemon to get rid of boulders. HMS being back would really suck. The website says these games will have modern conveniences. So, this is what I'd come and change if I were in charge. Everything else is already fine the way it is.

If HMs can't be removed, then I'd tweak them to be the way they were handled in LGPE that they're "techniques" now that you don't need a Pokemon to know in battle. But reserve it to maybe special Pokemon you can get as a gift? maybe even make it so they don't have to be in your party. There'd be npcs around the region that'll teach you these special moves for free after you get the according gym badges.

Adam Levine

[color=#ffffff][font="Century Gothic"]I have tried
Years
Easy. I'd change the overworld so it's not so griddy anymore. I'd prefer free, omnidirectional movement over a one-to-one recreation of Generation IV Sinnoh.

I'd change the artstyle too, I guess. Still kinda iffy on the chibiness of it all.

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Jan 2, 2024
I'd make the heads a bit smaller and give everything a more pastely feel, color-wise.

I'd also maybe add Lake of Rage as a post-game area c:

Years
Difficulty options + fast forward for battles. Those two are such game changers and I wish more games, especially those where grinding is a big part of gameplay, did it. Though I suppose leveling up has become a lot quicker in Pokémon if SwSh are any indication. @_@

also please give us a wider range of skin tone and hairstyles!

Years
  • Seen Feb 22, 2024
> Back to Gen 6 mechanics
> Would bring back triple, rotation and inverse battles
> Battle frontier would be in the game

Back