• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen 4th Gen Help Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cerberus87

Mega Houndoom, baby!
Years
I wasn't really considering EV training anyway, as just training is boring enough already.

As for the moves, do you have any tips?

What about the sixth Pokémon, got any tips there too? :t143:

*Quick update: Right now I am going to face Blue, the 16th gym leader!
I won! Mt. Silver ahead! Where am I supposed to go now?

* Is Thunder Fang an egg move on Arcanine? If so, where do I get a Heart Scale?

If you aren't going to EV train, I suggest Thunderbolt instead of Thunderpunch on Electivire, because Thunderbolt's higher power makes more difference in a mixed set. You can have Ice Punch on Electivire as well, it's superior to Hidden Power in-game and you don't need to hack to get one quickly. Your Electabuzz is low level, so you can afford to breed. To get Cross Chop and Ice Punch on Electivire, you need to breed him with a Machop that knows both these moves, but Machop only gets Ice Punch through breeding as well. The breeding chain is then Hitmonchan/Medicham>>>Machop>>>Elekid. The last move can be either Earthquake or Flamethrower. I suggest Flamethrower because you can buy the TM with coins, but Earthquake is more useful to get rid of opposing Electric-types and runs off Electivire's stronger attacking stat.

For Arcanine, Flare Blitz and ExtremeSpeed are no brainers. PlatinumDude listed the only other worthwhile moves for Arcanine this gen. To get all of these moves, you need to evolve Growlithe at L48 (when he learns Flare Blitz), then use Heart Scales to learn Thunder Fang and ExtremeSpeed. Thunder Fang is a starting move for Arcanine only so it can only be learned with a Heart Scale.

For Dragonite, you'd need a lot of Heart Scales... Learn Aqua Tail again, then Fire Punch. Alternatively you can teach him Waterfall. The good thing about Dragonite is that all of his egg moves are crap, with exception of a few he learns by level anyway (like Dragon Dance), so to get the best of him you only need to breed him with Dragonite itself (or Ditto). Keep ExtremeSpeed and replace Dragon Rush with Outrage.

When I said "any move works in-game", I wasn't being literal, but for example in-game is offensively biased so even with a defensive Pokémon, you might want to give him a set that allows him to attack effectively. A Whirlwind/Toxic/Stealth Rock/Roost Skarmory is a great Pokémon competitively (even if ruined by Taunt), but is completely useless in-game, as well as a pain to raise (note: Skarmory generally sucks in-game, the best birds in-game are Staraptor and Dodrio). Type matchups are most important in-game. Also, you don't have to give your Pokémon the absolute best it can learn. For example, dual-screens might not be that good in competitive play because they take two turns to set up and you might be wasting your time, but in-game they work very well because they're simply enough to give you an edge. So, for Meganium, I'd go with Light Screen/Reflect/Leech Seed(or Body Slam/Synthesis)/Petal Dance(or Energy Ball). Leech Seed is an egg move, though. Meganium also gets Leaf Storm as an egg move but I don't recommend it because Meganium himself isn't powerful enough (offensively speaking) to abuse it. It's more suited to Pokémon like Exeggutor which have huge Sp.Atk.

I have no idea what to suggest for sixth Pokémon since there are so many of them... Your team currently can't handle Fighting, even though you have Dragonite... And you don't have any Water-types. I hate Water but I consider it a necessity for every team to have a Water Pokémon in-game. Starmie would fit your team nicely, it learns Electric, Ice and Psychic moves (besides Water) so it can be very useful against Lance in the rematch.

My team sucked when I fought Red, but I had stuff like Draco Meteor on Kingdra so I could do fine.

Finally, to get Heart Scales you can break rocks in certain places, but it's more consistent to use the Pokéathlon instead.

Last edited:

tabor62

[b][color=#CADB5A]W[/color][color=#C8DA4F]h[/color
Years
when i was playing through pokemon diamond after i beat the pastoria gym i talked to him and he wouldnt run away
Is this a glitch?

I'm not to sure who you are talking about, but Crasher Wake isn't supposed to "run away" after you beat him. You're supposed to leave the gym after you are done and deal with a Plasma Grunt and an annoying Barry (your rival).

Years
  • Seen Mar 18, 2013
I need some serious help with my SS nuzlocke ASAP

Okay so I'm about to enter the Pokemon league... FINALLY!!! But I'm having some trouble with a decision to make. So I have an executor that is great and knows psychic along with solarbeam and sunny day.... But I just got a slowpoke in the slowpoke well and I think I should take executor out for it... The reason for that is because I feel like a grass type is completely useless in the Pokemon league and executor has horrible special defense... If I got slowking in my team then I could teach it ice beam and have a pretty good edge against lance... I already have a kingdra though... Do u think I should switch and have 2 water Pokemon??? Or keep executor???

Rainbow Arcanine

now known as aslan
Years
Hey there! :D. I think I can give you a hand with it :3. Even if Exeggutor is horrible for the Elite Four, I think you should still have it on your team honestly. I'm saying this because most Pokemon are useless for certain situations ;;, but really great otherwise! And Exeggutor is one of those Pokemon for me, it has a great moveset and can be really handy, so I advise you keep it, but it's your choice of course :D.

However, depending on what sort of Pokemon you can like, you can pick out of either the two. If you like speedy, but less bulky Pokemon, I think Exeggutor would be a great choice. And if you love defensive bulky Pokemon, keeping aware of its speed, I think Slowking could also be useful, although it might take a really long time to raise for the Elite 4 and having two Pokemon of the same type on your team isn't what I really like to be honest. :(

But it's your choice! :D. I hope this advice was useful and if you still have trouble choosing, feel free to ask again. :3

Last edited:

JohnnyJ773

Wanderer from Cianwood City
Years
Platinum or Black/White 1&2

I want you guys opinion. I just recently finished Heart Gold, I'm collecting legendaries right now but I'm looking to buy my next game soon. I'm contemplating on whether I should go back and get Platinum or just keep moving forward to Black/White 1&2? Like is going back to Platinum worth it? I would like to collect some of those Pokemon, play through the story, and explore Sinnoh. Or enjoy the enhanced graphics and new features of the next Gen. Your input is much appreciated..

curiousnathan

Starry-eyed
Years
I want you guys opinion. I just recently finished Heart Gold, I'm collecting legendaries right now but I'm looking to buy my next game soon. I'm contemplating on whether I should go back and get Platinum or just keep moving forward to Black/White 1&2? Like is going back to Platinum worth it? I would like to collect some of those Pokemon, play through the story, and explore Sinnoh. Or enjoy the enhanced graphics and new features of the next Gen. Your input is much appreciated..

Ultimately, it's up to you. In my personal opinion, I think both games are just as fantastic as the other. It's really up to what you prefer more, enchanced graphics/new pokemon, or that nostalgia factor (with some still pretty good graphics!). Storyline-wise, I'd opt for BW2, (not BW). The original Black and White proved quite boring, but that may just me. I found the storylinbe incredibly short - especially the post gameplay, which didn't equate to the tons of replay value we received with HGSS.

All in all, it's your decision. But in this case, I'd go with Platinum, and then jump up to Black 2/White 2; start with the classics, y'know.

lineofdeath

...overuser of the ellipsis...
Years
magical exp places.

Do any of you have some good places to train.
Like on route 210, pkmn breeder kahil.

ISNorden

Teddiursa
Years
I'm currently stuck in/around Floaroma Town, wondering how to get onto the upper ledges of the meadow so I can reach the Valley Windworks from there. Could someone please give me directions? I'd appreciate that very much. (For what it's worth, I'm playing Pearl on DeSMuME for Windows.) Thanks!

Years
  • Seen Jul 17, 2016
National dex.

Hello ^^

I stopped playing short of the DS. Back in the day, I was the guru on Pokémon. Ask me anything about Gen III, II or I and I can tell you. I played them religiously, and still do.

I was recently given a DS (lucky me) along with Platinum and Diamond. I have just completed Diamond. Wow, what a game.

I have a question regarding the completion of the National Dex, something that has always been a blur to me. I Google'd plenty, but I get conflicting info.

Yellow is the only version I have completed, as in 150 Pokémon. It will automatically update to 151, without showing Mew. Therefore Mew isn't needed, and is unnecessary. Red and Blue too.

In Generation II, Event based Pokémon such as Celebi are treated the same as Mew.

In Generation III, Event legendary Pokémon (Mew, Celebi, Jirachi, Deoxys as well as Ho-Oh and Lugia) are not required to qualify for any of the diplomas.

In Generation IV, Event legendary Pokémon (Mew, Celebi, Jirachi, Deoxys, Manaphy, Phione, Darkrai, Shaymin, Arceus as well as Ho-Oh and Lugia), are not required to qualify for any of the diplomas.

Is all this correct? Therefore in order to complete the National Dex in Gen IV, I need to migrate Kanto Pokémon from Fire Red and Leaf Green, Johto Pokémon (the ones not available in FR/LG and in the wild post Elite Four), Hoenn Pokémon from migrating them from Emerald/Ruby/Sapphire, and version exclusive Pokémon from Pearl/Diamond or Platinum respectively?

Yes I am a perfectionist! Making up for lost time...

Years
Is all this correct? Therefore in order to complete the National Dex in Gen IV, I need to migrate Kanto Pokémon from Fire Red and Leaf Green, Johto Pokémon (the ones not available in FR/LG and in the wild post Elite Four), Hoenn Pokémon from migrating them from Emerald/Ruby/Sapphire, and version exclusive Pokémon from Pearl/Diamond or Platinum respectively?

Yes it is correct. You need your 4th Gen game and also a copy of the 3rd Gen game (Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald/FireRed/LeafGreen) inserted into the second slot of your DS, located at the front bottom. You then have to select 6 Pokemon from the 3rd Gen game to transfer over, and it can only be Pokemon from the PC Box. And remember you cannot proceed until you select exactly six Pokemon for transfer.

Then you head to Pal Park (located on Route 221 in D/P/Pt, and Fuchsia City in HG/SS) where you can participate in a catching game to try and catch all 6 Pokemon, using Park Balls that are given to you. They have a 100% catch rate (similar to the Master Ball) so you'll catch the Pokemon without fail.

It's only on the DS and DS Lite though, so if you're using a DSi or 3DS you cannot utilize this feature.

More information on Pal Park can be found here. Good luck with completing your Pokedex!

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
I'm currently stuck in/around Floaroma Town, wondering how to get onto the upper ledges of the meadow so I can reach the Valley Windworks from there. Could someone please give me directions? I'd appreciate that very much. (For what it's worth, I'm playing Pearl on DeSMuME for Windows.) Thanks!

Sadly, you don't get to access the ledged area in Floaroma Meadow, which leads from the Fuego Ironworks, until you get access to Surf, and once you do, you can surf from Route 205 to the left. Valley Windworks is all the way to the right from Floaroma.

Years
  • Seen Jul 17, 2016
Yes it is correct. You need your 4th Gen game and also a copy of the 3rd Gen game (Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald/FireRed/LeafGreen) inserted into the second slot of your DS, located at the front bottom. You then have to select 6 Pokemon from the 3rd Gen game to transfer over, and it can only be Pokemon from the PC Box. And remember you cannot proceed until you select exactly six Pokemon for transfer.

Then you head to Pal Park (located on Route 221 in D/P/Pt, and Fuchsia City in HG/SS) where you can participate in a catching game to try and catch all 6 Pokemon, using Park Balls that are given to you. They have a 100% catch rate (similar to the Master Ball) so you'll catch the Pokemon without fail.

It's only on the DS and DS Lite though, so if you're using a DSi or 3DS you cannot utilize this feature.

More information on Pal Park can be found here. Good luck with completing your Pokedex!

Thanks !

Is this also the case in Gen III then? The Legendary/Unobtainable Pokémon aren't necessary for completing the Pokédex such as Lugia and Ho-Oh.

Things would be so much easier if we could trade with Gen II games... ¬.¬

Years
Thanks !

Is this also the case in Gen III then? The Legendary/Unobtainable Pokémon aren't necessary for completing the Pokédex such as Lugia and Ho-Oh.

Things would be so much easier if we could trade with Gen II games... ¬.¬

That's correct, Ho-Oh/Lugia and the Event Legendaries are not needed for 3rd Gen and D/P/Pt's National Pokedex completion.

Sadly you cannot transfer from 2nd Gen to 3rd Gen, since the GBC is incompatible with the GBA.

Last edited:

d00bt00b

Genxo
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Jul 1, 2013
My trainer ID is 00217. Does this positively or negatively effect my ability to get a shiny? I've been soft resetting for about 15 hours and still haven't gotten a shiny starter.

Rainbow Arcanine

now known as aslan
Years
Ahhhh soft resetting for a shiny starter takes patience, fifteen hours is a long time but remember some people can go for months before they find one. D:

However just checking up on Bulbapedia, it did say the Trainer ID affected many things along with a secret ID that can be viewed by various methods. The SID does affect if a Pokemon is shiny or not but it didn't say much more other than that, but I don't believe your Trainer ID determines the shinies.If you still need clarifying or want to read more about it, you can go here and check out the info. :3

Hope I helped and good luck! :D.

ISNorden

Teddiursa
Years
Help, I'm literally getting stuck!

I've spent the past 3-4 days looking for a safe route to Pastoria City in the Pearl game, without success: the only unlocked paths lead straight through the Great Marsh, where I inevitably end up sunk up to my bleeping neck no matter how long I struggle. Those of you who've gotten that far before...is there a drier alternative that I'm overlooking? Please help if you can; what started as an addictively great game is becoming an exercise in frustration.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back