• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Question] Sprite and Game Style

Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen May 19, 2019
Long story short I don't really care for the GBA sprites. I am looking to modify and redraw pretty much everything anyway, so I am looking for input on the type of sprites to go with.
I really love Ranger sprites but they might not work out super well unless I make the tilesets significantly smaller.
tumblr_ornqkvsAYo1ws42aeo1_250.png

Left -> Right
Green Sprite - approximation of a Ranger sprite at GBA size
Ranger Sprite - actual (about 75% Fr/Lg)
GBA Sprite
DPPt Sprite
Default RMXP Sprite

Years
  • Age 23
  • Seen today
Just so you know, Essentials requires sprites to be scaled up to 2x, so unless you plan on making that resolution of sprites if you continue your ranger sprites in GBA style, you will want to work at half that size.

Requires isn't the right word though, you can disable it, but the change in resolution still applies.

Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen May 19, 2019
That's a good point!

Now if the size of a sprite is 2x (so that basically in the GBA/DS sprites one "pixel" in the sprite is actually 2x2 pixel-square in the PE file) does the sprite need to have 2x2 pixels-squares or can the sprites be more detailed (using all the 1x1 pixel-squares)?

It probably is more continuous to keep the sprites very basic, as the original game sprites are. If this didn't make sense I can provide a diagram...

Years
  • Age 23
  • Seen today
You can totally do a 1x1 pixel size with a larger canvas, but you should take into account that the sprites that Essentials comes with were done with the 2x scale in mind, so you would need to do most of the sprites and tiles over to fit.

Back