• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pokemon Mystery Dungeon series

Years
Personally, I love the Pokemon Mystery Dungeon series. :) I would love if they made one with all the generations or with Generation 7. My favorite game of the series is Pokemon Mystery Dungeon Explorers of Sky and I believe that everyone should play it if given the chance.

Absolitetion

Deemed to be a demon, but an angel inside.
Years
Same here, I have a lot of memories from playing Mystery Dungeon.

I was really hyped for it as a 11 year old to play it on the GBA, and how I did love Red Rescue Team.
I played it so often and fantasized a lot about it, too.

I was also really hyped for EoTD and played a lot of it, too. EoS then is the best out there yet.
I replayed it several times. It has one of the best post-games out there I know from Pokémon.

I missed Gates to Infinity but that is probably for the better. I did watch a playthrough but that was about it.

I got SMD as well and also loved the story. I haven't played it much it still was a great game. Post-game I did not really go further because there wasn't a lot of it, story-wise and I found that disappointing.

I also hope we get a new one for Gen VII. If so I guess it will come late next year so I think?

BlazingCobaltX

big mood. bye
Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Jun 19, 2019
I absolutely loved Explorers of Darkness, the story was just epic and brought me so many shivers and tears, but I couldn't get myself to finish it last time I restarted. It's something I really have to sit down for because it's more story-heavy, and contains a different kind of RPG system that is just not my favourite.

Spyro

[title=Free 6iv Dittos!][url=https://www.reddit.co
Years
  • Seen Oct 5, 2018
I just bought Blue Rescue Team again a week ago, and I'm having loads of fun. I've played and finished all the Mystery Dungeon except the latest, which was such a disappointement to me I sold it back after less than a week playing :( I did not enjoy the new recruitment system at all. I hope they make a new one with the older mechanic.

LegendChu

❤ CAREFREE, BUT CARING ❤
Years
Tbqh, there is nothing that matches the Mystery Dungeon Series for me. Loved the game mechanics, awesome storyline, so much to do post-game & you get to play a Pokemon :). My fav would be the original ones, Red & Blue Rescue Teams. I've played those more times than I've played any Main Series Game.

Pika Pika :chu:

Years
PMD has some great memories for me, and I really enjoyed the storyline and just fulfilling that dream of playing as a pokemon. Along with the story, the characters were another favorite element. I think the PMD games I would replay again would be the Red/Blue rescue team or Explorers of Sky. I have yet to complete Super Mystery Dungeon, but from what I've played I really liked it!​

Flowerchild

fleeting assembly
Years
I spent so much time with Blue Rescue team as a kid hahah. I've never actually finished any of the later ones despite having played bits of all of them, so that's definitely on my list for when I get the chance.

sonic65101

Johto Champion
Years
  • Age 26
  • USA
  • Seen Mar 12, 2023
It's interesting for me that the Pokemon Mystery Dungeon series brought me more enjoyment than most other main series titles by a longshot. An emotionally charged plot, even unchanged game from game, is the foundation for what made PMD games so special to this day. From game to game, we know exactly what's going to happen because like main series games, the plot doesn't necessarily change, but the action leading up to the climax does, and that's the most important part of the PMD games for me! To see the story unfold, to see my Pokemon and their partner journey throughout many towns and go through triumps and suffering to face the Big Bad of the games at the end of the day... it has much more depth on an emotional level, to me.

For anyone who hasn't played the more recent PMD games yet (except Gates to Infinity, that was awful), you are really missing out on some great games. Highly recommend Explorers of Sky, although depending on your local game retailer, it might be hard to find and quite expensive because of that. People priase it as the best PMD game to date, although I'd argue Super Mystery Dungeon is pretty much on par.
I agree. Explorers of Sky and Super Mystery Dungeon are by far my favorite Pokémon Mystery Dungeon games. Second is Red Rescue Team. Haven't played Gates to Infinity, mostly avoided it because of the DLC dungeons.

LyokoGirl5000

Lyoko Princess
Years
My favorites are Explorers of Sky and Red Rescue Team. Super Mystery Dungeon was more difficult than it was fun, to be honest.

Sawsbuck

used Jump Kick! It's super effective!
Years
It's a cool idea, love how you play as an actual Pokemon (which I'm really surprised there aren't more games with that option or fan hacks of the main games where you play as a Pokemon) although I would like it more if there was a Mystery Dungeon game where you can play as a Deerling/Sawsbuck, that would easily make it the greatest game of all time in my opinion

Just found out that in Super Mystery Dungeon you can have a Deerling as your partner so that's awesome

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Jan 1, 2023
I love mystery dungeon and explorers of sky was also my favorite! Something about the story actually keeps me enticed. also the music in this game is so good. anyway i haven't played super mystery dungeon yet so i can't comment on it, but it's disappointing to hear it's not that great

Last edited:

PageEmp

No money puns. They just don’t make cents.
Years
*crashes into the thread* I LLUUUUURRRRRRRRVVVVVEEEE THE PMD SERIES!!! IT'S MY FAVOURITE SPIN-OFF!!-ahem. So yeah, basically Mystery Dungeon is my favourite Pokemon spin-off (and probably the only one I particularly like) and I love it to death. Every PMD game I've played are all beyond amazing and I feel that the series is still going strong. Here is what I think of all the games I've played from it:

Explorers of Sky: Easily my favourite PMD, and I loved it. It's really a great game! The story was exciting and interesting, most of the characters were fun, and the gameplay was amazing. Everything about this game is impressive, imo. I still play it up to this day.

GTI: 2nd fav PMD, and dare I say it: the most underrated Pokemon game EVER. I've recently began to love this more than I used to starting yesterday. Am I the only one on this site who thought this was awesome? Or rather, am I the only person on the planet who remembers that move mechanic it had going on? Basically in GTI, if you use an attack several times, it will get stronger, as in like more power, higher accuracy etc. . I greatly enjoyed that mechanic and ever since I have ALWAYS hoped that the main series games would incorporate it. I also don't think the plot was as bad as anyone says, maybe less good than EOS's plot but I still liked it.

SMD: Even though it's not as good as the last 2, its still a really awesome game. The quiz came back, the plot was still decent, and the new recruiting method wasn't that bad. My main gripe with the game was how some of the dungeons were a bit broken, but otherwise I really enjoyed it, everything else about it had the same great PMD feel, and it was probably the only game released in it's year that I liked.

Back