• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

FireRed hack: POKéMON CHRYSOCOLLA

heyo

HEYO!
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Nov 24, 2023
POKéMON CHRYSOCOLLA
(I don't know if I'm keeping the name. All the good rocks were taken.)

Introduction:
Verre - a large region containing snowy climates in the north and tropical beaches in the south. Two mountain ranges known as Mt. Whitehead and Mt. Blackhead respectively divide the east and west into wasteland and lush forests. Ignore the fact that they sound like pimples... I came up with that idea 10 years ago.

Verre is filled with lots of ancient history, containing eight different ruin sites across the map and one big secret. It's also home to many interesting characters - many bad and many good.

Pokémon Chrysocolla version is a rom hack built to feel like it was made some time between RSE and DPP. With that gen 3 look and feel, collect the 8 Infinicade League badges and take on the sinister Team Alpha while you explore the new region.

Goals:
Spoiler:

Current Features:
  • Whole new region with unique tilesets and story
  • Nearly 30 possible starter Pokémon to pick from
  • EVs and IVs can be checked
  • EV berries from Emerald
  • Full soundtrack with unique music for each town
  • Full GB Player soundtrack
  • Somewhat more challenging than standard Pokémon games
  • About 200 Pokémon currently available
  • All legendaries available with unique events
  • 2 of 6 battle facilities complete (Battle Tower and Metronome Battles)
  • Headbutting Trees from Gen 2
  • Dive from RSE
  • Additional OW Moves
  • 60 Move Tutor moves
  • ...and plenty more fun scripts. Even more to come!

Screenshots:
Spoiler:

Music:

Credits:
Spoiler:

There is currently no download available for a patch of the rom yet. This hack is still under progress, and I have run into some roadblocks that make the game unplayable from start to finish for the time being. I will update this post again in the future when a patch is available. For more details, you can check out my YouTube channel here where I explain some of the background (there is some foul language in the video so I didn't want to link it directly; the title of the video is "GAME FREAK won't like this...").

Last edited:

Inner Rhymes

Rhythm & Poetry.
Years
This looks phenomenal! I love how you've gone about mapping, and the tiles of choice you've selected. I'm keen to play this when it comes out. How far along is progress so far, if you don't mind me asking?

Dark

SW-8589-1512-3501
Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen Apr 21, 2024
Omg this looks absolutely amazing.

heyo

HEYO!
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Nov 24, 2023
This looks phenomenal! I love how you've gone about mapping, and the tiles of choice you've selected. I'm keen to play this when it comes out. How far along is progress so far, if you don't mind me asking?

Most of the scripting is actually good to go! I was able to script a story and gameplay up to the Elite Four and started on some post-game stuff. I've run into a couple of issues, and a few things have broken, so I don't have any release as of right now... But hopefully in the next couple of months I can get a beta ready to go.

PacoScarso_

#1 Masquerain enjoyer
Years
What I love the most is the fact that you enhanced the old FR tilesets making them look fresh and new. So "simple", yet so gorgeous.
If you need help during the testing phase feel free to ask!

heyo

HEYO!
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Nov 24, 2023
What I love the most is the fact that you enhanced the old FR tilesets making them look fresh and new. So "simple", yet so gorgeous.
If you need help during the testing phase feel free to ask!

I'm glad you said that! That was the goal. :) Trying to make it still feel gen 3, but new!

Inner Rhymes

Rhythm & Poetry.
Years
Most of the scripting is actually good to go! I was able to script a story and gameplay up to the Elite Four and started on some post-game stuff. I've run into a couple of issues, and a few things have broken, so I don't have any release as of right now... But hopefully in the next couple of months I can get a beta ready to go.

Woah! Are you implying that the upcoming beta release will be all the way up to the E4 at the very least? Also, I'd love to be a beta tester if there are openings ~

Years
Sounds interesting minus the harder challenge. Also being fairly far in progress before posting is definitely a confidence builder in knowing that this very well will be competed.

heyo

HEYO!
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Nov 24, 2023
Woah! Are you implying that the upcoming beta release will be all the way up to the E4 at the very least? Also, I'd love to be a beta tester if there are openings ~

Hopefully that's the case! A lot of bugs to fix, but most of it is already ready to go.

As far as beta testers go - I have a group already lined up, but I'll shoot you a PM when it's ready if I need another!

SpringtraP-MasK

Just a Artist
Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Apr 19, 2024
hay i saw the vid and i have a few questions

1) is this rom hack compatible on consoles via flash carts like everdrive? (gba/gbasp/micro/GB Player)

2) sense this game only has pokemon up to gen3 is this game usable with pokemon colosseum/gale of darkness?

3) can it trade/battle with base games?

4) how much of the battle frontier is going to be present?

Years
  • Age 20
  • Seen Mar 29, 2023
This looks great! If you're still looking for help with art, sprites, or animation I would be interested in joining the project. I love your ambition with this ROM!

heyo

HEYO!
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Nov 24, 2023
hay i saw the vid and i have a few questions

1) is this rom hack compatible on consoles via flash carts like everdrive? (gba/gbasp/micro/GB Player)

2) sense this game only has pokemon up to gen3 is this game usable with pokemon colosseum/gale of darkness?

3) can it trade/battle with base games?

4) how much of the battle frontier is going to be present?

1.) I've tried it on a flash cart with my GBA SP, and it works! The hack does have RTC in it, so I'd like to try it on a cart capable at some point too.

2 & 3.) I haven't tried it yet... but I can let you know!

4.) I've got a Battle Tower scripted and ready to go, and I'm looking to make 4-5 new facilities different from Emerald's frontier. One of those is about finished, but I don't know if I'll have a full frontier ready for beta release.

Thought I'd ask, do you have a discord channel for your hack?

I don't! I'm considering making one, though. I'll be putting updates here and there on my YouTube channel, either way.

This looks great! If you're still looking for help with art, sprites, or animation I would be interested in joining the project. I love your ambition with this ROM!

I appreciate it! I'm not looking for assistance at the moment, but I will definitely let you know if I start looking for some help. :)

Years
  • Age 21
  • Seen Mar 30, 2023
Yo where can i download this rom ?! it looks so good !!!!! (i don't see it 'cause i'm dumb dumb) TwT

SpringtraP-MasK

Just a Artist
Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Apr 19, 2024
1.) I've tried it on a flash cart with my GBA SP, and it works! The hack does have RTC in it, so I'd like to try it on a cart capable at some point too.

2 & 3.) I haven't tried it yet... but I can let you know!

4.) I've got a Battle Tower scripted and ready to go, and I'm looking to make 4-5 new facilities different from Emerald's frontier. One of those is about finished, but I don't know if I'll have a full frontier ready for beta release.

thanks for responding! also i hope that if your working on the battle frontier, i hope you make any legendary/mythical pokemon useable in OU tier competitive able to be used. (pokemon like speed form deoxys, celebi and jarachi sense they have use in OU/Doubles OU.) not alot of hacks do this and just leave the normal restriction list as is.

heyo

HEYO!
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Nov 24, 2023
Yo where can i download this rom ?! it looks so good !!!!! (i don't see it 'cause i'm dumb dumb) TwT

There's no download yet — I ran into some big bugs that I need to iron out before I release a beta. I have some more info available on my YouTube. But thank you!! Hopefully I will have a beta pretty soon.

when do you plan to have this done? Looks great!

Thank you! I have no ETA yet, but I want to shoot for a beta in a few months time.

thanks for responding! also i hope that if your working on the battle frontier, i hope you make any legendary/mythical pokemon useable in OU tier competitive able to be used. (pokemon like speed form deoxys, celebi and jarachi sense they have use in OU/Doubles OU.) not alot of hacks do this and just leave the normal restriction list as is.

Hmmm.... The plan is to keep it accurate to gen 3, but I'm not opposed to this idea. Makes sense if they're viable in competitive play. I'll think about it some more.

Plus-Sized Scribe

Cry Creator and Whovian
Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Apr 11, 2024
An idea could be to have a special format or facility devoted to upper-tier competitive battling.

Back