• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Platinum hack: PlatinumQoL - Now compatible with Following Platinum

Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen Mar 23, 2024
Introduction
Hello, this is my first ROMHack and its purpose is to offer a better experience of the original Platinum game, without radically altering the story progression or increasing difficulty.
My initial inspiration was while playing a mono bug type run in Platinum, thinking it would be really helpful to have Honey Trees work without the 6 hours waiting time.

Eventually as I learnt more about ROMhacking, I added more features that (in my opinion) improve the experience.
As of the last version, the full national dex can be completed without trading or transferring from other games.

Features
Spoiler:

Encounters changes and new locations
Spoiler:

Screenshots
Spoiler:

Download
Spoiler:

FAQs
Spoiler:

Known Issues
Spoiler:

Credits
Spoiler:

Last edited:

trdtrl

clear throat
Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Jan 22, 2024
I love this! really looking forward for reusable tms and faster hp bar

Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen Mar 23, 2024
Version 1.1 Released!
Changelog:
  • Waterfall Animation will now use the first pokemon in your party that knows surf
  • Reusable TMs have been added. Credits to Mikelan98.
  • Fishing Rods Encounter Rates have been changed to 100% for all Rods

I love this! really looking forward for reusable tms and faster hp bar
Thank you, hope you enjoy it! Faster HP bar will be part of the next update.

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Mar 30, 2024
Very happy to see something like this come out. Feels overdue. Thanks for leading this and I can't wait for the next update!

trdtrl

clear throat
Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Jan 22, 2024
oh btw have you already thought about integrating the hack with following pokemon platinum patch? i think it will be a fun surprise and a whole new experience for platinum playthrough

Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen Mar 23, 2024
Update 1.2 Released! Changelog:
•HP Bar animation is now three times faster
•All eggs have a hatching cycle of 256 steps
•Regice, Regirock and Registeel locations are accessible after obtaining the National Dex
For the next update I'm looking forward to add event items and the remaining starters, but it's going to take a while.

Make all pkm avaliable
Legendáries etc
I'm not planning on further editing the encounter tables before the postgame, but I want to add other starters and more legendaries, altough I'm not sure there is a fitting location for every legendary. Ideally I also want to add the possibility of triggering the dual slot functionality to get the relative encounters but I don't know how doable it is.

oh btw have you already thought about integrating the hack with following pokemon platinum patch? i think it will be a fun surprise and a whole new experience for platinum playthrough
Following Platinum is way too complex for me to be able to add it to my ROM Hack. I would have to add all the features implemented here to an already existing FollowingPlatinum ROM, and also I don't know how the original creators feel about others releasing their hack. At the very least I'm planning to finish my Hack in the first place before thinking about it.

Years
  • Age 67
  • Seen Jan 25, 2024
Thank you for the mod. If possible, any chance of posting the hex changes you made for the animation bar? Or anything else for that matter, if you're willing? Some of these changes would do well ported to other rom hacks :)

Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen Mar 23, 2024
Thank you for the mod. If possible, any chance of posting the hex changes you made for the animation bar? Or anything else for that matter, if you're willing? Some of these changes would do well ported to other rom hacks :)

Sure. All the hex changes I made are those for the reusable TMs: https://pastebin.com/X08TB1Fq
And this for the HP Bar: https://pastebin.com/eCvYDcyw
I didn't come up with any of those changes, refer to the credits in my original post.

Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen Mar 23, 2024
Update 1.3 Released! Changelog:

• Events: Darkrai can be catched at Newmoon Island which is now accessible from the Canalave Ferry after saving the sailor's son from nightmares. Shaymin's event has been unlocked with no requirements at Route 224, and a Manaphy Egg can be found at Route 230. The Azure Flute can be obtained by examining the Celestic Town cave painting, after having obtained the National Dex and with Giratina, Dialga and Palkia in your party.
  • Pal Park: The Pal Park wild area can be accessed even if there are no migrated Pokémon. While accessed this way, the catching contest functionalities are disabled so an unlimited number of Pokèmon can be caught before leaving the area. The encounters are:
    1. Bulbasaur, Charmander, Chickorita, Cyndaquil, Treecko, Torchic (Tall Grass)
    2. Squirtle, Totodile, Mudkip (Surf)
    3. Munchlax (Pokéradar, 1%)
    4. Feebas (Super Rod, 1%)
  • Starters: Other than the starters from Generations I to III that can be now found as wild encounters in the Pal Park, the other two sinnoh starters you didn't choose can be obtained at Professor Rowan's Laboratory after obtaining the National Pokedex.
  • Fossil Trader: In the Underground Man house in Eterna City an NPC has been added which will trade every fossil (except the Old Amber) for its counterpart.
  • Natures: The effects of natures are now listed in the summary screen.
  • Ditto: It is now a Pokéradar Encounter at Route 218, like it was in Diamond and Pearl.
For now I don't think there will be more updates. I would like to add more Legendaries to the game, but there really isn't an existing map that fits most of them, and so far I can't really create and/or add new maps to the game or add new Overworld sprites. GBA Dual Slot functionality is theoretically possible to be triggered in game, but I will have to learn about ASM to do so, and also I'll be start working on a Gen 5 ROMHack which was my original project.
Add prism scale to make feebas evolve with this stone.
Unfortunately adding new items (and sprites) to the game is still out of my possibilities.

Last edited:

darthbr

Banned
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Dec 8, 2023
You can add "import" an overworld portal sprite from hgss and those portals can be spawned after giratina event.. Like renegade one. It suits better to add legendáries.

Add Oak lore after leave from lab. He could give pikachu as partner at beggining of adventure. Starter + pikachu

Add another Oak or scientist lore when player arrive solaceon ruins. Give armor and shell fóssil and ask player to revive it for him

- why slowpoke to slowking with water stone and not level w kings rock like politoed? It make more sense

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen Mar 23, 2024
You can add "import" an overworld portal sprite from hgss and those portals can be spawned after giratina event.. Like renegade one. It suits better to add legendáries.

Add Oak lore after leave from lab. He could give pikachu as partner at beggining of adventure. Starter + pikachu

Add another Oak or scientist lore when player arrive solaceon ruins. Give armor and shell fóssil and ask player to revive it for him

- why slowpoke to slowking with water stone and not level w kings rock like politoed? It make more sense

-I tought about portals but I would have to add the same thing 14 times and I think it wouldn't really fit, even as a temporary solution. Plus I'd rather spend time learning how add new maps and overworld sprites, than add them via portals and then remove it anyway.

-Sorry but that's kinda unnecessary and not really the point of this ROMhack

-Because the Universal Randomizer also changes it this way and I wanted to keep it consistent. I assume it's because slowpoke already has a level up evo, and having two evolutions by level up at the same time would result in one evolution overwriting the other? Now that I think about it, I would have to test it out.

darthbr

Banned
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Dec 8, 2023
Yeah, this problem is kind of unfixable without rebalancing every bulky Pokemon in existence- which would be a huge undertaking(not just to change, but especially to test), and it would probably destroy the base stat totals. The alternative would be worse though- if I reintroduced EVs, NPCs still wouldn't be able to use them, so the player- even if they didn't do specific EV training- would be massively overpowered, and making it truly interesting and difficult would be impossible.
As it stands, there are far larger problems to balancing that I can't fix at all- like players using items in major battles, and the incredibly stupid NPC AI.
For what's currently possible in Generation 4, I'm fairly satisfied with how things have felt in my testing playthrough.
Since many restrictions are impossible to implement(and I'm not even sure I would if I could), the difficulty is kind of up to the player here, and that's fine, I think.
You could always limit yourself- no items in boss trainer battles, don't raise your stats higher than +2 stages, monotype, etc.
It sounds like kind of a copout answer, but it's also the only solution available in Gen 4 at the moment.

-I tought about portals but I would have to add the same thing 14 times and I think it wouldn't really fit, even as a temporary solution. Plus I'd rather spend time learning how add new maps and overworld sprites, than add them via portals and then remove it anyway.

-Sorry but that's kinda unnecessary and not really the point of this ROMhack

-Because the Universal Randomizer also changes it this way and I wanted to keep it consistent. I assume it's because slowpoke already has a level up evo, and having two evolutions by level up at the same time would result in one evolution overwriting the other? Now that I think about it, I would have to test it out.

Its very easy to add sprites
I did in a rom that i was working. You dont have to add New maps. Just add in like far places like oras did.. Spawn after X event.. Ex: Lugia portal underwater. Etc.
Im playing your rom. By far The Best vanilla. Just need think about "complete dex" legendáries.

Last edited:

Chain

Pokemon Fan
Years
This is just amazing! I love the idea of ​​a hack with these improvements, it's about time someone could do it.
Congratulations! I hope you can finish it as you like.

BTW, Is there any information of using the HM's from the bag? I find it interesting to learn how to implement it.

Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen Mar 23, 2024
Its very easy to add sprites
I did in a rom that i was working. You dont have to add New maps. Just add in like far places like oras did.. Spawn after X event.. Ex: Lugia portal underwater. Etc.
Im playing your rom. By far The Best vanilla. Just need think about "complete dex" legendáries.
You added new overworld sprites to Platinum? Replacing them is pretty easy, but it's at least 11 sprites so I don't know which are unused and if there are that many. I already have a few places in mind for existing legendary locations, like the Shrine in Celestic Town for Celebi, and the Legendary Beasts as roaming encounters after the Legendary Birds disappeared/are catched. I never played 3DS games so I don't know about oras, but there is no dive in this game so that would require a new map. But I want to make every National Dex pokemon catchable, not just legendaries, so for now I will focus on finding out how the dual slot encounters work.
This is just amazing! I love the idea of ​​a hack with these improvements, it's about time someone could do it.
Congratulations! I hope you can finish it as you like.

BTW, Is there any information of using the HM's from the bag? I find it interesting to learn how to implement it.
Thank you. For the HM it's just a matter of replacing a single script file, are you familiar with using DSPRE? I can post the script later as I'm on mobile now.

Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen Mar 23, 2024
Quick Update:
-Arceus Overworld Sprite at the Hall of Origin is now visible while previously it was still hidden even after using the Azure Flute.
-Changed the Pal Park Encounter file so that all starters are available regardless of daytime while previously some would only be available at either day or night.
-Removed the Secret Key after catching Rotom (which I forgot to add to the previous changelog) because after testing it on a fresh save file, it crashes the game while entering the Secret Room. It will take some time to fix this so for now I choose to remove it.

Chain

Pokemon Fan
Years
You added new overworld sprites to Platinum? Replacing them is pretty easy, but it's at least 11 sprites so I don't know which are unused and if there are that many. I already have a few places in mind for existing legendary locations, like the Shrine in Celestic Town for Celebi, and the Legendary Beasts as roaming encounters after the Legendary Birds disappeared/are catched. I never played 3DS games so I don't know about oras, but there is no dive in this game so that would require a new map. But I want to make every National Dex pokemon catchable, not just legendaries, so for now I will focus on finding out how the dual slot encounters work.

Thank you. For the HM it's just a matter of replacing a single script file, are you familiar with using DSPRE? I can post the script later as I'm on mobile now.

Yes! I usually working with DSPRE.
Really apreciated your work, that's an amazing job.

Back