• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Gen 3] The Bingo Challenge in Hoenn

Years
This is a new journal to update my progress on the Bingo challenge in Hoenn. For now, all of them are in Pokémon Emerald!

Here's the Bing challenge list I have for now in Hoenn:

- The Character Challenge
- Stone Alone
- Monoletter

All of them are pretty interesting! Note that I wanted to play so much during summer, but I had a lot of things to do. So, it turns out that I am now about to study and start another year at the college, so yeah I will be even busier. So, expect very rare updates.

Last edited:
Years
THE CHARACTER CHALLENGE
So, I was very lucky with this one. I didn't choose the challenges, but as soon as I completed my random challenge in Pokemon Emerald, I have been fascinated by Wallace and wanted to try his team, just like I did with Lucia in Pokémon Diamond. Well, I was blessed lol.
So, my choice is definitely Wallace. While someone could point out that being the champion, it can make the challenge easier, I can assure you that having magikarp and feebas in the team is not that easy. Also, Wallace is in the game and he's the Champion, so the very last fight. It was truly hard to beat him in my random challenge run and I am so looking forward to challenge him again with his team!

As usual, my rules are that I want to have as many similar moves as he has on his pokemon.

So, anyway I have already started.

Firstly, I was lucky because one of the pokemon in Wallace's team is available on the very first routes, if not really the first. It's Lotad. I chose mudkip, pretty good choice because I'll get a grass type in my next encounters with Brendan! The first gym with a water type is always pretty easy, so I had no problem.

*I forgot to take the pic*

Brawly instead was quite hard to beat. It took me some tries. Lotad evolved into Lombre and I got a fishing rod to catch magikarp and tentacool. It took me a while because tenatcool had always very bad natures and I wanted a good one on it, since it can be a great counter against Wallace's Ludicolo. Anyway, the hardest part was carrying around and training magikarp and tentacool that had very very bad moves. Magikarp only had splash and tentacool only had poison sting, which made almost no damage, but in the end it was pretty useful. Leveling up both of them, tentacool became a little more resistant and allowed me to use it against Brawly. Strategy was to poison machop and haryama and then go ahead with Lombre to make damage. In the end, it worked and I got my second medal. Also, Magikarp finally learned Pund. Still useless tho lol.

IMG_20220810_135421.jpg

IMG_20220810_135435.jpg

I am currently in Mauville City and I need some training before getting the third medal.

Current team:

- LOMBRE, level 25
- MAGIKARP, level 18
- TENTACOOL, level 20

Years
Maville City gym was a very hard challenge for me, but I managed to win, in the end. Obviously this was one of the moments I was mostly afraid of. An electric type gym against my monotype water team lol. During the exploration, my team got stronger and magikard finally evolved into Gyarados, You can't even imagine how game changing this was and it still is right now. Intimidate and a strong attack and quite good defense, Gyarados is indeed a great pokémon and it was the one I was mostly scared back to when I was doing the other challenge in Emerald. What made the things even easier was the move Dragon Rage. It's truly over power: it always deals 40 hp of damage to the foe. It's thanks to Gyarados and Dragon Rage that I could do more than 5 hp of damage to Magneton. Manectric was a problem only because its attacks are really strong. It was an incredibile win. I was lucky but things were balanced. The foe got a paralysis on me and I wasn't blocked by it in the right turn. It's mathematical that I managed to resist the attack. That 1 hp is scenic lol, because in general it would have been more probable to get less damage than 87, so I wasn't too lucky with that either in some way.

IMG_20220830_224623.jpg

IMG_20220830_225407.jpg

Well, so I finally got my third medal. Now, I won't talk a lot about the rest because it didn't happen much tbh, except for tentacool evolving into Tentacruel. Flannery was really easy, so I just straight up went to the gym, defeated all the trainers and lastly the gym leader. The easiest win of the game after the first gym. No doubt about this.

IMG_20220830_234519.jpg

Now, there I was scared lol. In gen 3 our dad is pretty strong. It's one of my fav gyms, firstly for its design and the fact that it simulates a dojo, since you can choose the trainers and the kind of battle you want to make. I obviously backtracked and defeated everyone lol. It's good for exp points too. I was really worried, but Gyarados and Tentacruel did a pretty good job and I did it second try, but the first one I lost because of a roll. Dad's Linoon remained with 1 hp, rip me lol. So, anyway it's crazy how things change. In the other run I had crazy problems with Dad and 0 with Rudy, but this time all the opposite! That's a sign the game is balanced, I guess. Anyway, I got the 5th badge.

IMG_20220830_234519.jpg

Thanks to the badge, I got Surf and this was the second huge change in my run till now. I could finally get the good rod and surf on the water, so I ended up catching other two members of the team: barboach and wailmer. With my surprise, it took just a couple of attempts to get an acceptable nature. I am really ok with the neutral ones, because it's definitely worse when you randomly get one that decreases a stat that you need. I know it's not a competitive thing, but considering I am having to compete with a mirror team, those little things help a bit. Anyway, I trained my team and I got to the next city. In the middle of the badges there was the story but I could beat everyone quite easily, so yeah. The route before Fortree City is where Feebas can be caught. I want to say something a bit controversial, but it's real.

Maybe it was the moment and how exciting this kind of game has been for me till this moment, but I actually found it a pretty nice idea how Feebas must be caught. Basically, Feebas spawns only in 3 or 6 tiles in the water randomly and to get it, you need the good rod. The tiles are indeed a lot and it requires some patience. Moreover, there's only 50% chance for it to spawn in the tile, so maybe you found the tile but you were unlucky. I decided to go tile by tile and in case I didn't find anything, I'd had restarted over. After some time and about less than half tiles checked, I found Feebas. Catching it was literal pain because I was unlucky with the level, but especially with natures. After all the work to find the tile, I wanted at least a good nature! I went for the one +def -spe. The reason is that Milotic has a nice sp def and a lower defense and it's not fast. Moreover, Wallace's Miloic is more suited to get in battle take the hit and use toxic. He doesn't really use it this way, which is really interesting because I want to use his team better than him lol. Anyway, despite all odds and the fact that it's a crazy method to find a pokemon, it was actually cool and I had a lot of fan. It really gave me the vibe of "a strong rare pokemon and you have to work to get it" and I like it. I haven't evolved Feebas yet, but I will soon.

After catching feebas and spending the whole time to make her fill the 7/8 levels gap between her and the rest of the team, I defeated all the trainers in the 6th gym and finally won against Winona. A very warm thanks to Wailer and its rollout that kinda made it unstoppable, except for Pelliper that with protect destroyed everything. It's still unclear to me why they use protect in a single battle lol, anyway yeah, the rest of the team sorted it out against Winona. Altaria with dragon Dance was really strong. I kinda controlled it by switching Gyarados with Intimidate.

IMG_20220901_152708.jpg

Lastly, barboach evolved into Whiscash. For now, both Whiscash and Wailmer turned put to be a good resource for the team, maybe not as bulky as the others but still good. Lombre kinda became useless because it deals very few damage. Feebas same, it's just a Majikarp 2.0, but at least I could teach it Surf lol.

af62cc09-ed60-4996-875f-77ca52b73c4b.png

Back