• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The Beta Place

Venia Silente

Inspectious. Good for napping.
Years
In search of a Beta Reader

O'kay, time to apply for a Beta Reader. After I published the first entry of my fic, I asked for reviews so that I could know what to ask for here, and now that the first reviews came, it's time to take this one step further:rambo:. Let's see if I can fill the form right:

Title of Story: Elusive Goals

Fandom: Pokémon

Plot summary: An experienced trainer gets an offer to join Team Rocket, but as a trial he is assigned the "menial" task of defeating another trainer who just happens to be a long lost, old friend of his.

Genre: Original Trainer (yes I know everyone hates that), told from mid-ways, and with some suspense and thriller elements.

Rating (PG, R, etc): PG-13, if I'm not mistaken (because of violence)

Type of mentor needed: Grammar and Language mostly; anything else is also welcome.

Writing sample of story:
Spoiler:

Other:
Although I have been writing for some time, as I've written something for FF.net, I still have to fight some important deficiencies.

The most important one is that I lack at colloquial usage of the language, idioms and modisms, having only a background on technical writing. Because of that my writing may seem to be too flamboyant or too "ornamented" with words, instead of using simpler words to express what I mean (thanks Xanthine for the tipping). Yes, English is not my mother language. That's why language tutoring is a must for me.

I've already done my plot and character development, and I'm confident these are OK (I've worked them all over again), but of course I'm open to suggestions in those areas. Also I'm quite open to anything that helps me portray battles more realistically, because I'll have to write a lot of them.

So here I stand... ready to learn :classic:

bobandbill

one more time
Years
Added you to the list. Yay for moar people.

(And quite detailed in the 'Other' section as well, which should be helpful getting across what help you need). :)

EDIT: And already a Beta Reader found for solovino. (And if you find a beta reader, please tell me so I can update the list).

Last edited:

JX Valentine

Your aquatic overlord
Years
Long app is long.

Need a beta this time. My old one got caught up in real life. ^_^;

Title of Story: Anima Ex Machina
Plot summary: When a meteor crash-lands in Hoenn, it unleashes onto the planet a species of parasitic pokémon that threatens all life on Earth. Meanwhile, a young pokémon researcher recruited to study the parasite finds himself involved in a lab accident that leaves him transformed and in the middle of the struggle between the alien invaders and several human organizations with their own agendas. Without any choice in the matter, he's forced to fight for the future of the planet, but is he the key to humankind's survival or a pawn for its destruction?
Genre: Science-fiction, dark fic
Rating (PG, R, etc): R (Blood, violence, torture, general disturbing images.)
Type of mentor needed: Proofreader or comprehensive
Writing sample of story: Current progress is here. Excerpt is the entirety of the prologue.

Spoiler:

Other: I've been writing fanfiction for years, so I've tried my hardest to polish up the story before I submit it. However, I'm working with a lot of canon characters that I'm not used to using (particularly in the early chapters), so I'm a bit uncertain as to whether or not they're spot-on (or worse, if it sounds like I'm trying to hard and failing to get their characters right). Likewise, I have problems with phrasing and redundancy now and then, none of which I catch on my own. So, it'd be great if someone could look over my work and tell me if everything looks good.

Also, yes, I like for my betas to be as thorough as they'd like. Shred my story if you have to. I'm very excited to be working with this kind of idea, so I may get too ahead of myself and fail to explain myself clearly. Stopping me and pointing out every problem -- logic, phrasing, what have you -- you have with a scene (in order to go, "Wait. That doesn't make any sense whatsoever.") will only help me.

Additionally, concerning the position itself: If you sign up for this position, you've got to be thorough and active. Active especially because I'm currently working on chapter six, and my former beta got caught up with all kinds of real-life problems before he could finish chapter two. (As in, please don't take more than two weeks on one chapter. I know this sounds really picky, but I'm probably going to go fast until I decide to pay attention to my other projects. Don't worry; I'll always proofread before sending it to you to make your job easy.) Yes, you will have to go back and read the first two installments in order to avoid getting lost. (Sorry about that.) A taste for the genre is preferred but not required. My last beta was not a sci-fi fan, but this is going to be a long ride. Ergo, you'll want to be perfectly okay with sci-fi and, for that matter, violence. The excerpt should give you an idea of what level of violence we're talking about here.

bobandbill

one more time
Years
Ok then, added.

Remember - if you've found a beta reader, or you are one and took a client/want to be 'closed' for the time being - tell me so I can update your info and all. :)

Neiko Star

Dancing rain
Years
  • Seen Nov 18, 2012
I wouldn't mind being a beta reader. :)

Category: Proofreader or Grammar. (Either one is okay.)

Genre Specialty: Anything except romance. O.o

Preferred Method of Contact: PM

Examples of Writings: Johto Adventure(which nobody will comment to -__-), Angel Quest, Demons: Hidden Fire. (All stuck with writer's block. >.>)

Examples of Reviews: Sadly, haven't got any. :(

Strengths: Spelling & Grammar.

Sorry about the no reviews thing, I just haven't got any.

txteclipse

The Last
Years
I could use some help, I think, or at least another pair of eyes.

Title of Story: Eon Chronicles

Plot summary: Two teenagers find a Latios and Latias and are swept into an epic fight between good and evil that has raged on for thousands of years.

Genre: Fantasy, Action, Drama, Horror

Rating (PG, R, etc): PG-13

Type of mentor needed: Comprehensive (hello Xanthine!)

Writing sample of story (sorry it's so long...):
Spoiler:

Other: What I really need is someone to come in and catch all of my mistakes, whether they be grammatical or plot-oriented. I also need a pacing check: I feel like the content of the story is slowly spiraling down into monotony and over-writing. I have reviewers, but I need someone that can basically come in, look at the story as a whole, and tell me how it's working.

Last edited:

bobandbill

one more time
Years
That's ok, I guess - but you'd have to mention that so the Beta Readers know, and the Beta Reader would then have to be willing to familarise themselves with those chapters as well, so they know what's going on... (and with your fic, there's a fair load going on :P)

(BTW - added you eariler already txteclipse, in case you haven't noticed).

Blue Screen of Death

Wait, what?
Years
Category - Plot and Grammar
Genre specialty- Adventure, horror, journey, thriller. No romance though.
Preferred method of contact - PM
Examples of writing -
Absol tales
Iron man
Forever shall I be at your side (Not completed)
Spoiler:

Examples of reviews/beta-reports: -
Review of Purplestealth's An awesome adventure
Review of Dark_Aero's Little bit longer
Review of lvl99rayquaza's Sinnoh guardians: rise of Blaze
Strengths/weaknesses: I may be a little harsh, or just plain odd. I tend to review things in a way that gets the job done good, but not in an extremely professional way. Other than that, I do sometimes act impulsive.

bobandbill

one more time
Years
Added you, Hippy!, as a Grammar and Plot Beta Reader. Feel free to take anyone on now if you wish. :P

Neiko Star

Dancing rain
Years
  • Seen Nov 18, 2012
Now I need a Beta reader for my new fic. O_O (The first chapter's not out yet, but you can check out the short prologue.)

Title: Land of Arecta: Wind Quest
Fandom: The Song of the Lioness, The Immortals, The Circle of Magic, kinda like that...
Plot: Renka(name not sure yet) wants to be a mage, so she enters the Lightvale(name not sure either) Academy, where they teach magic and fighting to to-be mages and warriors. However, you must be of nobility to be able to attend the school, so Renka disguises herself as a princess of a faraway land. Unfortunately, after half a year of useless training at the academy, she is forced to believe that her magic is not strong enough to be a mage. To make things worse, the princess she was disguised in suddenly appears on the academy's doorsteps. Renka is expelled from Lightvale, and decides to journey to the holy moutains of Heleos(once again, name not sure) to strengthen her magic. However, she is about to discover that her magic does not need strengthening at all.
Genre: Fantasy
Rating: G/PG-13 (There will be words like 'damn' and 'shut up'.)
Type of Mentor Needed: Comprehensive (And also the kind that can find me some good names -__-
Writing Sample of the Story:

Rebekah turned back to her carpets, hanging each of them with care, so that the passer-bys could see them properly. She hung the last one, then gestured to her daughter.

Renka kneeled down and took out a pile of thread from underneath the stall. She handed the pile to her mother, who took it and placed it on the counter. She carefully sorted out every color, until there were five, small, neat piles of red, blue, green, violet and black.
Then, she closed her eyes and held out a hand. Her hand began to glow bright silver, and Renka watched silently was the threads began to curl, twist and knot themselves. When Rebekah reopened her eyes, there sat a thin braid of thread. She put on hand over it, muttered a few words, and the braid glowed bright silver. In seconds, the colors had arranged themselves into a pretty pattern.

"That was magic, wasn't it?" Renka asked abruptly.

"Well, yes," Rebekah answered, surprised by her daughter's question. Renka had seen her do this many times, and had never questioned whether it was magical or not.

An-chan

Whoops.
Years
I'm applying for the position of a beta client!

Title of Story: Mama's Boy

Fandom: Well, Pokémon, and that's it

Plot summary: A boy called Jack leaves to his trainer journey - and his mom tags along. His childhood friend, Mari, travels with the two and then there's also Lilian, the mysterious girl a couple of years older than Jack and Mari. Jack and Mari travel further and start to learn more things about Jack's dad and Mari's mom who both died in an explosion eight years ago - an explosion Jack's mom never talks about. As Lilian is revealed to be something completely different than she looked like, the mystery starts to unveil...

Genre: Comedy, adventure, and mystery, with a tad of conspiracy in it

Rating (PG, R, etc): Eh, well, I don't know. PG-13, maybe?

Type of mentor needed: Someone for grammar, really, athough I'd prefer Xanthine because she's so darn thorough and frank with her criticism. I want to get better with my writing. If there's someone who wants to help me become a novelist one day, then feel free to say so! :laugh:

Writing sample of story:

Spoiler:

Other: I've written stories since I was five years old, but I only started writing in English somewhere around last July. So, it's really the grammar that is my problem more than enything else. However, as I really plan on becoming a novelist, I need all the criticism and feedback I can get. So, any volunteers?

bobandbill

one more time
Years
Added, An-chan. Whoosh, 5 clients now... remember - if you find someone, tell me so I can update the list.

Buoysel

Trust me, I'm a Professional*
Years
Title of Story: This Time (Not 100% sure yet)
Plot summary: A not so original trainer with the POV of a Pokémon who doesn't have the greatest of trainers.
Genre: OT
Rating (PG, R, etc): I'm not going to say that you have to be X years old to read my work, but it is intended for mature audiences.
Type of mentor needed: Proof Reader, just another set of eyes, and someone to tell me if something is stupid.
Writing sample of story: Part of Prologue
Spoiler:

Other: Not my first attempt at writing, but hopefully will be my first completed project.

Akeraz

Winning is Magic
Years
Title of Story: The Chronicles of Lunari
Plot summary: The story of a Young man Named Lunari, who lived in the world of Pokémon over 500 years ago.
Genre: Fantasy
Rating (PG, R, etc): PG-13
Type of mentor needed: I need help with grammar and the overall layout of the Fic, as well as help with progressing my Ideas.
Writing sample of story: I kinda already posted the first chapter without much guidance, so perhaps you could check that - ://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=162009
Other: Well, This is my first fic, so I'll need quite a bit of guidance.

drunk ¬_¬

Koga Bunshin no Jutsu!
Years
The Prodigy --- hehe ¬_¬

Title of Story: The Prodigy

Plot summary
: A typical Gary-Stu used to winning all his life finally meets defeat at the "Pro-Test", and is unable to get his Pokémon trainer's license. His life takes a bad turn and the once perfect Memo (that's his name) meets treason, drugs, prostitutes, fights, thievery, and becomes deeply entangled with some teams who are looking for monopoly of drug and Pokémon trafficking.

Genre
: Dark → OT (non-traditional)

Rating: R for strong references, to drugs, murders and prostitution, as well as (non-graphic) sex and sexuality.

Type of mentor needed: Comprehensive Beta Reader (I don't consider myself a bad writer, but this is my first fanfic, and although it is a bit complicated, and mature, I don't want to take my chances).

Writing sample of story: This is the beginning of my prologue, as I don't want to completely give it away yet -
Spoiler:

Other: My first language is Spanish and I rely heavily on Microsoft Word's spell-check, which I've heard isn't such a good idea. Any kind of advice, or constructive criticism is gladly accepted.
Please PM me if interested.
Spoiler:

bobandbill

one more time
Years
Added you, drunk. And don't worry about feeling like the form was like on to find a friend - beta readers are all the friends you need now. :P It's mostly though one can get all they information they will likely need striaght off, saving long convos before one decides if they'll take you on or not. And so forth.

I also added you days ago, JackorzKfnz, just didn't have the time to post confirmation as well and figured I could do so later like now. -_-

IMPORTANT! IF YOU HAVE FOUND A BETA READER, TELL ME!

Last edited:

Spinor

<i><font color="b1373f">The Lonely Physicist</font
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Feb 13, 2019
Well, it's my first time in attempting at a fic, and I think I will need a tester of course XD

Title of Story: Mexican Chocolate

Fandom: Pokemon, Pearlshipping

Plot summary:

Ash, Dawn, Brock, and Max decide to visit Pokemon-World Mexico after an exhausting journey in Sinnoh. However, they meet up with 2 antagonists, Pokemon Hunter J, and Humberto Valdez, a Mexican Outlaw. Both seeking the Orb of Nature to control the Ecosystem and nature, and thus, the world. The removal of the orb could cause a devastational current that could destroy the Sinnoh region. Now it is up to Ash, Dawn, Brock, and Max to stop them.

Genre: Action, Comedy, Romance (in later stages), Real world mixture

Rating : PG-13: Language, Mild Non-graphic Sexuality, Crude humor.

Type of mentor needed: Character/Plot, Grammar

Writing sample of story: (Watch out, long example. Half of one of my Prologues,)
Spoiler:

Swift!

The Swiftiest
Years
Title of Story: Don't have one yet. =P
Fandom: Pokemon
Plot summary: A secret organization, hidden by a popular business (Silph Co.), are allowing people to become half-human, half-Pokemon hybrids with a simple injection. A certain citizen doesn't like this and says it's unhuman, so he decides to hunt down every human/Pokemon hybrid and kill them. But, with the "treatment" becoming more and more popular, how will he possibly be able to kill them all?
Genre: Action, Thriller, Suspense.
Rating (PG, R, etc): PG15 or higher (for violence, language and gore)
Type of mentor needed: Plot and Language
Writing sample of story:
Spoiler:

Last edited:
Back