• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen Which do you think is the best starter?

Cloche

エスパーレディ
Years
Oshawatt...how can you resist that face? And he just levels up of bad ass as he evolves.
I also chose him for his move pool and with the excess of fire and grass types in White/Black, I decided the water type was best.

Musharna

~random artist appeared~
Years
I chose Oshawott, the design was definitely the best - no question about it if you're asking me. The evos are just as awesome, especially Dewott, I LOVE the rascally look and everything. Moves are awesome, Razor Shell kicks ass and I love water Pokemon anyway. Usually they don't look very appealing though (except for Vaporeon and few others).

Mew~

THE HOST IS BROKEN
Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Apr 13, 2016

• Which of these three do you think is the best to start your journey with, the best overall and the best designed?
I'm going to say Tepig, only because if you can get it to evolve before the 2nd gym you'll breeze through it.

• And which did you choose? Did you choose more than one, either through trading or through another playthrough?
Well, I've used all of them at least one. I've used Mijumaru in my japanese version of White and Oshawott in my english version of Black. So yeah...

pknight96

Massive Unidentified Terrestrial Organism
Years
Well, when I pick starters, I usually look at the final form first. All of them look cool, and they are all strong, but the strongest was Emboar. However, If you get DW Serperior, it gets Perseverity, which makes all stat boosts stat loses, and vice versa. DW Snivy is the best. If you aren't going by dream world, get Tepig.

xelarator

Gentlemen.
Years
I was going to choose Tepig, since I always choose fire-type, but in Unova I could make an exception. I chose Oshawott because It was about my time to use a Water type pokemon. And when it fully evolves, it becomes an EPIC SAMURAI OTTER THAT HAS FREAKIN SWORDS IN IT ARMS AND A GIANT, DEADLY HORN ON ITS HEAD.

And if you don't agree, I think u hate pokemon. And...

Hawk.

The Hawist
Years
  • Age 29
  • PA
  • Seen May 19, 2016
Which of these three do you think is the best to start your journey with, the best overall and the best designed?: IMO, it's Oshawott. It has a good offensive movepool. Not only that Oshawott is cute, while Samurott looks cool.
And which did you choose? Did you choose more than one, either through trading or through another playthrough?: I chose Oshawott, but traded the other 2 starters from other games.
This.

Emboar has a decent offensive movepool as well, but it's the worst out of all three of them and the worth Fire-Fighting starter that's for sure. It has good stats, but they're too scattered around between Sp. ATK, Atk, and HP. If some of it went to speed, he would actually be pretty decent.

As for Snivy, hm, well I've actually never had one to be honest. Can't really say much, except that Serperior's movepool is also limited. For the most part it can only learn grass moves and Dragon Tail. But I like Serperior's speed stat so I'll give it that.

Personally I chose Oshawott for reasons that were already stated by others. Offensively it has the coverage and decent stats. And I guess you can it has okay speed. :/

Yoshikko

the princess has awoken while the prince sleeps on
Years
  • Seen Apr 27, 2020
Definitely Tepig, it's a dual-type and does great damage overall.

Years
On an aesthetic level, the Snivy line is easily the most appealing. I'm not very fond of it's mid stage however. Though Serperior makes it all worthwhile.

On an effectiveness scale, I pick oshawott, more varied movepool, capable stats. The only thing that bugs me is the lack of Special attack EVs that I can give him (since I own black, no Petlils ;w; ) so his best stat suffers.

However, if you're counting competitive too, then hands down Serperior. Good bulk, Respectable speed and the most amazing abilities in the game make him a monster if he can get a few leaf storms off. and at 4x special attack stat in three turns, It doesn't really matter, Since even blissey will tremble in your wake.

cazzler

Feraligatr FtW!
Years

• Which of these three do you think is the best to start your journey with, the best overall and the best designed?
I think the Oshawott line is the best to start with, his evolutions have good speed and offensive stats, it can also hit hard with both attack and special attack, it can also take hits pretty well, it's all rounded I'd say. One flaw with Samurott is that it hasn't got the greatest speed nor defense stats, but it pulls through...

I'd like to comment on other starters, Serperior is very fast, has good defense but lacks the ability to hit hard, while Emboar has enormous attack and special attack, it lacks speed and decent defenses.

• And which did you choose? Did you choose more than one, either through trading or through another playthrough?
I chose Snivy while playing on an emulator, when I eventually got the game, I chose Oshawott.

dieter57

pokemon master
Years
ok, so i stil think snivy wins cause hes just that cool. i mean leafblade and giga drain do it for me. and add dragon tail? YES! i never liked tepig but even more so oshawott. i hated that ugly thing to point of where my friend traded me one and i released it. but recently i have taken a liking of its older evo samurott after getting Pokedex 3D. i sat there for hours just making him whip out that sword. so i kinda like oshawott more now then tepig simply because of samurott. but snivy/servinr/serperior still wins!

shinysweety

In it to win it! :D
Years
I used to like Tepig until i saw his evo's, there not really what i thought they would be.
So i went to look at Snivy and Oshawott evo's and i liked them both.
Then i always picked Snivy as a starter and then took Oshawott and got allot farther with him.
So now im a Oshawott girl XD

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 43
  • Seen Jan 30, 2017
They're All Good

Serperior Mainly Good For It's Defence & Speed
Emboar Good For It's Attack
Samurott Has Some Balanced Stats

Years
  • Seen Sep 14, 2012
I picked snivy, and I regret it. It's at it's second evolution and I can't get it to evolve. It sucks to much..
I need to get it's stats up and replace some moves, Im in the process of training it. I think Tepig is the best since every single time I fought it ended up killing my snivy..

Foozles

"power of the Pokemon"
Years
  • Seen Mar 13, 2013
I looooove Snivy. First off, I like it's design, I think it was a really cool personality for a Pokemon to have. I like it's high Speed stats (actually, I don't pay too much attention to Stats, but it seems high). I've also always though that, for me, picking the Grass Starters adds some more challenge to the game. I never use Grass a lot, so I don't know their strengths and weaknesses too much other than good against Rock, Ground, Water, and bad against Fire....

Back