• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The Coder's Lounge

GoGoJJTech

(☞゚ヮ゚)☞ http://GoGoJJTech.com ☜(゚ヮ゚☜)
Years
I'll just stick around to learn what everyone posts :)

EDIT: For my friend Team_Fail:
Spoiler:

Danny0317

Fluorite's back, brah
Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Nov 19, 2023
Add me to the list. I'm Danny and I'm pretty good at Java and C#. FBI is top bae.

So, some discussion now. Anyone here use the website kattis?
https://open.kattis.com/

It's pretty much just full on competition programming problems. It's great.

Years
How about some PHP? Of course people say it's not the safest language for a web interface, but it was the first language aside from HTML and CSS I tapped into and got a grip on.

This is a snip of code from a PHP file I wrote that parses weather conditions from Wunderground (via XML), and since they don't parse wind speeds in kilometers per hour, I wrote this bit of code to do just that.

PHP:
//gusts in MPH to gusts in kmh
$initial2 = $gusts;
$final2 = 1.6;
$gusts3 = $initial2 * $final2;
$gusts4 = round($gusts3);

Eh, hopefully I have time to ever so expand on my knowledge of PHP and also other languages out there.

Legendary Silke

[I][B]You like dragons?[/B][/I]
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Dec 23, 2021
Unity (not sure of the differences between basic C#

Unity's default scripting language is C#. Pretty much everything you know about C# applies here, too, remembering that you should also be using some of the namespaces provided by Unity for obvious reasons.

JavaScript is also an option if you want to use that.

Nero

I like it.
Years
Heya all! I haven't exactly been coding for very long, but I've got a fairly good understanding of HTML and PHP, and I recently began learning C#. I haven't really shown up in the Computers & Technology section before, but I'm gonna make an attempt to make this one of my go-to places on PC. I feel like I could pick up more than a few things here.

(By the way, it's Codecademy, not CodeAcademy :P)

Nero

I like it.
Years
Awesome. What projects have you worked on?

Nothing very notable, just small things to help me improve a little. I'd have to say that the biggest thing I've ever coded is a fully operational forum, but I had a friend help me out with some CSS. I've never actually made something with a purpose other than to experiment, but not too long ago I was hired by a local earthmoving business to write a piece of software for them, so that's something. Programming is definitely something I want to get a lot more into, but I just have too many other time-consuming hobbies right now.

bobandbill

one more time
Years
Hi all!

I do some programming for my uni work. Primarily it's in Python with a bit of SQL (via sqlite), cgi and HTML, and on the odd occasion Matlab as well. I've also help tutor a couple uni courses in Matlab and C.

I've touched other languages briefly (mostly for uni coursework some years back... e.g. Fortran90) and did a few things back in high school/bit after in Flash with Actionscript 2.0 (which isn't too different from C I suppose).
I've kinda done the same thing with C#, actually. I've been writing small programs in an effort to learn how it all works, and it's really been helpful. Forcing yourself to get something working tends to be the best way to find out how to get something working, next to looking it up on Stack Overflow that is.
Ah, good old Stack Overflow. Usually has helped me out.

Impo

Playhouse Pokemon
Years
For my uni course I've learnt coding for Java fairly well!

I learnt Python in my first year and C++ and Visual Basic in my second, but they didn't stick quite as well as Java!

I want to learn swift and/or Objective-C so I can work with apple development - cause that sounds like fun!

Danny0317

Fluorite's back, brah
Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Nov 19, 2023
Anyone here learn Java as a first language? I did, and now every other language I see (not counting C#) just looks so.. ugly.

Just me?

Impo

Playhouse Pokemon
Years
C# was really my first, but Java is really similar to it. However, I find that the syntax in some languages is really nasty at first. I thought that for C and C++, but it's making sense to me now that I've began to use it more and more with my Arduino.

I know when I still hate C++ because of its syntax!
My lecturer will use all these shortcuts right at the beginning and I don't think he told anyone what they meant haha

Swift also sucks because I haven't seen anything like it before, so I'm tossing up between that and Objective-C

Lucario

Hardly active since 2017!
Years
I'm decent at python, and can find my way around html/css/js quite well. I mostly do gdscript (godot engine) now, and a bit of SQL. I know so little C it's not worth talking about. Oh yeah, and BBC BASIC.

Years
  • Age 26
  • OH
  • Seen Feb 26, 2024
Hey, you can add me to the list.

My best language is C#, but I also enjoy programming in Python and Lua. More recently I've been working with D and Swift, and a tiny bit of F#. Because of schooling I've become pretty good at Java and Matlab... As for web stuff, I guess knowing HTML and CSS counts, and I've used JavaScript very briefly. I haven't worked with PHP in a couple years, so I can't really say I know it anymore.

Some languages that I've tried but haven't stuck with are Haskell and Julia.

Impo

Playhouse Pokemon
Years
I actually have a question for a few coders!!

It's regarding app development in xcode - objective-C or swift?

I'm going to be starting this project soon to get a better knowledge of app development, and wanna see what people think!

Years
  • Age 26
  • OH
  • Seen Feb 26, 2024
I actually have a question for a few coders!!

It's regarding app development in xcode - objective-C or swift?

I'm going to be starting this project soon to get a better knowledge of app development, and wanna see what people think!

Since your introduction post said you're familiar with Java, Swift might be nice to look into. It's a modern language that should have a familiar enough syntax. It is quite new, so there isn't as much support and examples our there compared to Objective-C, and the language has been constantly changing. But, you'll find that Swift is much more beginner friendly.

Impo

Playhouse Pokemon
Years
Since your introduction post said you're familiar with Java, Swift might be nice to look into. It's a modern language that should have a familiar enough syntax. It is quite new, so there isn't as much support and examples our there compared to Objective-C, and the language has been constantly changing. But, you'll find that Swift is much more beginner friendly.

Thank you for the suggestion, I'll probably use swift! I did learn a bit of it in my uni course, so it will be good to add onto that base knowledge. Cheers!

Years
So in the fall I'll be taking a class on Visual Basic as part of my degree. Would y'all say there's anything I'd need to possibly learn/look at to make sure I don't walk into the class without knowing anything?

Syntthetix

[color=ddccec]Porygon Programmer[/color]
Years
Hey, add me in! I'm a bit of a beginner with programming, but I'm working my way up little by little. I work with Java, I've done a little C#, I mess around with Batch every once in a while just for fun, and I've entirely forgotten HTML :) It'll be cool to see a whole thread on programming here!

Back