• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Unpopular Pokémon Opinions.

Nah

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen today
- X and Y have a really good postgame and anyone who states otherwise didn't even try

Adell, please explain this to me. I fail to see the greatness of the X/Y post-game.

Years
  • Age 34
  • Online now
Adell, please explain this to me. I fail to see the greatness of the X/Y post-game.
Do I really have to explain something I wrote in a thread dealing with unpopular opinions? ;)

First of all I haven't played any gen 4 game besides the remakes so I don't know what postgame they provided. But out of all the games I played (Blue, Gold, Crystal, Sapphire, to an extend Emerald, SoulSilver, White, White 2, X) the other games didn't provide postgame content that was better then the one X had. Gen 1 had one new dungeon, gen 2 I already explained, gen 3 had one dungeon and a battle tower/facility (the gen 1 remakes had a couple of islands, if I recall correctly), gen 4 I don't know and gen 5 some old towns, legendaries and old men.

Let's see, what gen 6 has:
- right at the beginning, you get another starter

- you get access to another town
You have to actually try out the stuff they give you in order to progress with the postgame "plot", so in order to keep things going you had to at least battle once in the Battle Maison. After that you unlocked the rival battle. Also gen 6 gives the games even more interactivity introducing Friend Safaries, depending on your friendlist you had access to different Pokemon. Well, I'm well aware that those aren't the best design wise, the interior was only a rectangle and you could only get up to three Pokemon which are static so some people got more popular then others, but that's a problem the players came up with.

- the postgame gave you two new dungeons
Well, let me explain that a little: people complain of the lack of a postgame dungeon and someway they are right: there's no new dungeon.
The thing is, that Terminus Cave is optional, it's not mandatory to finish the main story of the game. The only difference to like the Cerulean Cave is that there's no NPC blocking the entrance, but rather the last room (which GF maybe could have done better). Also there's the story about Looker which makes you run through Lumiose City, a town so big, that it's practically a dungeon on its own (at least I got lost a couple of times, if you didn't that's nice).

- there are still legendaries
I'm well aware that there's only three of them, the thing is that people complain about legendaries losing their meaning, mainly because there are so many of them. GF releases a game with less legendaries and people start to comlaining that there's not enough of them

- Mega Stones
GF gave us no new region. Instead they hid the stones all arounf Kalos, making you explore the region all over again, but this time you have to be carefull looking around and you are able to see stuff you haven't noticed before, while playing the main story.

- competition (of course)
Better breeding mechanics, Torchic distribution, and a lot more made competetive battling a little bit easier to access, not much, but enough. Besides the points I stated above the postgame is more online battle oriented.

I've played Gold about 250h, tons of hours on Sapphire and X over more than 400h so I thing I have a good impression on this whole stuff, but it's still my (unpopular) opinion.

Nah

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen today
Do I really have to explain something I wrote in a thread dealing with unpopular opinions? ;)

I was just curious to hear your reasoning behind your post is all. Thanks for replying.

DynamicD

Metagross Fan
Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Jan 22, 2015
  • Although I've grown to like Mega Evolution a bit more, it really grinds my gears that most of the Megas are Pokemon that didn't need them. Alakazam, Gengar, Blaziken, Scizor, EVEN GARCHOMP!? Why? I wanted more obscure and weaker Pokemon to get Megas, like Tropius, Breloom or even Rapidash.
  • Competitive battling is just bland and boring. Nobody wants to be creative and try out some new stuff, just following popular players that found out these sets. Heck, I have a competitive team of Tropius, Ampharos, Armaldo, Florges, Flygon and Octillery. I absolutely hate that people have to be the judge of everybody's team, I just like doing what I want and have some fun.
  • Speaking of competitive battling, I really hate EVs and IVs. While I don't hate EVs too much, IVs really tick me off. I just don't get why you need to have the perfect pokemon for competitive battling? Breeding 100s of Pokemon just get the perfect one with 6 IVs. What about all the other failures, sitting in you PC forever?

Terff

the unimportant
Years
gen 3 had one dungeon and a battle tower/facility
Gen 3 (emerald at least) had plenty more endgame content. First of all you had 2 dungeons, one for Kyogre and one for Groudon, an entire sidequest for the regis (one dungeon teaching you about them all in braille and 3 dungeons, one for each of the regis where you had to complete a puzzle.) And also you had the battle area with a tonne of different challenges. Ruby and Sapphire were lacking though compared to emerald however.

Nah

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen today
  • Competitive battling is just bland and boring. Nobody wants to be creative and try out some new stuff, just following popular players that found out these sets.
If you wanna play with people using less popular pokes, then try battling in the lower tiers, like UU or NU.

....Well, you could, if there were actual Gen 6 UU, RU, and NU tiers. The UU tier on Showdown is just a big mess right now, and RU/NU don't even exist yet.

DynamicD

Metagross Fan
Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Jan 22, 2015
[/LIST]
If you wanna play with people using less popular pokes, then try battling in the lower tiers, like UU or NU.

....Well, you could, if there were actual Gen 6 UU, RU, and NU tiers. The UU tier on Showdown is just a big mess right now, and RU/NU don't even exist yet.
I stopped playing Showdown a couple months back, because I ran into way too many rude and unfriendly people.

Jet Pilot

I killed Spiderman.
Years
Infernape makes for a great late-game sweeper.
Everytime I say this someone has something to say, yet Infernape still seems to win (???????)

Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen Dec 16, 2022
- The animé is a great resource for pokémon gifs and little else

- Gen 4 has the best legendary pokémon (aside for Arceus), but it did have way too many of them

- G/S/C/HG/SS's postgame is ****ty despite how huge it is. Kanto is barren and got tedious very quickly.

- Gen 5 is awful, linear and boring. The focus on the story of the titles was a stupid move and N looked like he walked right out of a 13-year old girl's fan fiction. Also about 10% of the pokémon designs were worth caring about

- I start to feel queasy when MLP intersects with Pokémon in any way

Years
- The animé is a great resource for pokémon gifs and little else
- I start to feel queasy when MLP intersects with Pokémon in any way

This.
I'm coming straight from the 40k fan-circle and we're having it just as bad on that end. I do think we're way more intolerant and militant about the queasiness though, which might not be too good.

Kelton2

Yes, That One
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Aug 19, 2015
Well, I have plenty of unpopular video game-related opinions, but not so many Pokemon ones.
Anyways, here they are:

1.R/S/E were (and are) the best Pokemon games, and actually some of the best video games period in my opinion. It seems that so many people hated Gen III, and thought it was the downfall of the series. R/S/E had awesome story and graphics, and were just all good.

2.Gen I sucked. Everybody will flame people that say that, mainly because it's the classic gen that all of the veteran fans remember. I don't have an explanation here..... there's just something missing. Then again creepypastas have scared me away from that gen anyway.

And probably the most unpopular one that I have........

3.Your rival (as in Blue, Silver, May/Brendan, and Barry, not as in Cheren and Bianca) should pick a starter Pokemon that yours can beat easily (I resorted to that wording because I couldn't think of a better way to say it, I mean, for example, in R/S/E if you pick Mudkip May/Brendan will have a Treecko, however in my opinion it should (have) been Torchic if you picked Mudkip, Treecko if you picked Torchic etc.) The reason? Mainly because I REALLY suck at Pokemon and am 100% unable to train anything other than my starter. Usually I can somehow manage Gym Leaders, but then your rival is a kick in the face.

Sorry if this was kind of long.

EDIT: Scrolled up and noticed something: - I start to feel queasy when MLP intersects with Pokémon in any way
As a hardcore brony, I have absolutely no comment that would not make this post's sheer length crash the server, and then get me banned for the overly angry content.

Last edited:

pokemasta92

3rd Gen. Enthusiast
Years
  • Age 31
  • USA
  • Seen Dec 28, 2021
Brace yourselves: I like Chimchar, Monferno, and Infernape! I grew up with the first generation and appreciate them all, but I've always liked the Chimchar line. Infernape is one of my favorite fire types as well as one of my favorite starters in general. I completely understand people have different opinions and that there is someone out their that dislikes each Pokemon, but I never understood the all around hate for him. What exactly is so horrible about it? Is it way it looks and/or the stats? Is it because there's already been a fire/fighting starter? Well grass, water, and fire are the starting types every single gen and nobody really complains about that. If Infernape was only fire type nobody would complain about it even though he's the 4th fire starter, but since he's also fighting people freak out because it's been done before. The logic doesn't make sense. Also a monkey is one of the smartest animals on this planet other than humans, and this monkey can fight, with fire. How is that not awesome?! What exactly do you want Infernape to look like?

Kelton2

Yes, That One
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Aug 19, 2015
I hate the Chimchar line too, but mainly because of its weakness to the first gym. The only Fire-type starter I've ever liked is the Cyndaquill line. I nicknamed mine Bob <3 :P

Anvils Alive

Fun is infinite. Sega Enterprises.
Years
Nuzlocke comics are coolio, but an overwhelming amount of them are of vanilla games (Not that it's a bad thing). Seriously, where are comics of things like Vega, DarkViolet, Normal Version, fan games in general, and the like? Something like that is what I'd want to see more often.

KorpiklaaniVodka

KID BUU PAWAA
Years
- Gardevoir is ugly.

- Oshawott is ugly.

- I strongly dislike Mega Forms. They are overpowered and unbalance the metagame like hell.

- I support Garbodor x Milotic.

- Dragon-types should have been super effective against Fairy-types and not vice versa.

- I like Zubat.

Timbjerr

[color=Indigo][i][b]T-o-X-i-C[/b][/i][/color]
Years
People complain about HM moves way too much.

1) Yes, Cut and Rock Smash are mediocre attacks, but the obstacles you knock down with them are few and far between and are usually only necessary for beating the game once, every other tree or rock you see beyond that lead to optional secrets that can wait until the post-game.

2) Fly and Dive are actually decent attacks. Their only drawback is that smart opponents can outpredict it, but when you're completing the story and fighting CPU's, that's not a huge flaw at all.

3) Strength and Rock Climb only look bad because Body Slam and Return exist, but they're still really solid Normal-STAB attacks.

4) Flash and Defog are pointless, but it's also NEVER required in any game in which they're HMs so long as you know what you're doing.

Additionally, HMs are only necessary for beating the main quest, which entails only really battling CPU opponents. Since the CPU opponents aren't really the most difficult opponents, it's hardly necessary for your pokémon to have competitive-level movesets, so you can afford to have one moveslot per pokémon reserved for an HM attack.

Years
  • Age 38
  • Seen Mar 31, 2014
I don't really think of Cubone as being related to Khangaskan. I think it's an interesting hypothesis; I just don't subscribe to it.

I'm one of those rare people that likes to think that Lawrence III from Revelation Lugia/The Power of One not only has Asperger's Syndrome, but totally didn't comprehend the gravity of what he was doing in that movie and actually isn't a bad person (his whole reaction to accidentally catching the heroes and them calling his actions disgusting was "Oh. Hello. Uh, welcome to my ship, I guess. I have smug on display on that pedestal. You can look at it but don't touch it;" he wasn't malicious toward the heroes at all). I think viewing him like this makes him much more interesting than the typical cardboard cut-out he comes across as if you don't view him like that. There's a few other people who have this idea, but it seems most people either barely remember him or just hate him. Heck, I didn't like him either until a friend told me about this idea after she stumbled onto it. And the idea of a guy nearly destroying the world by accident is just more interesting than LOLOLOL STOCK EVIL VILLAIN! I'm totally going to give him a cameo appearance in the game I'm working on because why not? ("I tried collecting Pokemon once! ... It didn't end well....")

I'm not interested in competitive play. It seems like many competitive players only like specific species of Pokemon based on how "good" that species is for competitive play. I'm also not particularly interested in IV and EV training. My tastes in Pokemon tend to be about the features of the Pokemon like the stories about the species, typing, aesthetics, the role that the Pokemon plays in nature and how it behaves, etc. I guess I kind of approach them like how I determine I like actual animals. I also tend to imagine what's going on in the games in a more fleshed out, anime-like manner where the trainer has downtime and interacts with the Pokemon (kind of like the Amie feature; I'm glad they FINALLY started implementing a better bonding system), so the personality a Pokemon has matters to me based on how I imagine it interacting with the trainer and with other Pokemon. Like, when I'm trying to get a Pokemon with a specific nature, it's not for how the nature affects the Pokemon's stats, but for the personality I'm interested in. I want a sassy Pikachu because I like the idea of a Pikachu being sassy, for example. I don't even remember what stats being sassy affects and I don't even care.

Another reason why I'm not into competitive play is because it often seems like competitive players care more about crushing their opponents than having an interesting match. Like, with the card game, some of my favourite battles have been battles that I lost, but they were awesome because of how down to the wire they went where it was unclear who would win in the end, or because something very humorous happened. You can't have stories about The Great Chansey Wars if one person gets crushed outright and said epic never occurs.

I tend to prefer some of the more simple Pokemon designs, though this doesn't always hold true.

I think we should have had Fairy type much sooner. :P I like the type, but it seems weird to introduce it so late.

I kind of think there's too many Dragon-type Pokemon now thanks to some of the more recent gens. I just kind of feel like Dragon-type should be rare and that having too many cheapens it. Kind of like how having too many legendaries makes them less, well, legendary.

I kindasortadevelopedaslightcrushonAshforalittlewhilewhenIwasakidinspiteofmyself. This is no longer true.

I seem to be the only person that actually likes Houndoom, not just because of looks. I like him on every level. His cry, his movepool, his design, his mega evo, his pre evo, his stats, everything. I genuinely love him.
I like Houndoom and Houndour. They're not on my top-tier "ZOMG FAVS!" list, but I do like them. Heck, one of my roleplay characters has a Houndoom on his team (along with Skarmory, Mightyena, and Aron).

Back