The PokéCommunity Forums Off-Topic Discussions Deep Discussion
Debate Violence in Video Games

Deep Discussion Have a seat at Deep Discussion for in-depth discussions, extended or serious conversations, and current events. From world news to talks on life, growing up, relationships, and issues in society, this is the place to be. Come be a knight.

Old 2 Weeks Ago (10:12 AM).
probably on a high

Nature: Rash
    Debates like these still exist? lol.

I don't get why video games are being singled out for violence when it's just another medium to project it like every other media. Like the majority says, we have ratings to assess such.

Relevant Advertising!

Old 2 Weeks Ago (10:38 AM). Edited 2 Weeks Ago by Enpatsu Shakugan.
    The Unyielding Flame

Nature: Adamant
      Quote:
      Originally Posted by redhue View Post
      Like the majority says, we have ratings to assess such.
      Sadly though, ratings don't actually do much. Try going to a community with any M-rated popular franchise and it's a guarantee most of the members there will be 12 and under.

I met a 15 year old gamer kid a few years ago, whose mom bought him any and every M-rated game he wanted. Ratings don't mean crap when your parents don't care. They'll just buy it for you.
      Old 2 Weeks Ago (11:16 PM).
      Banned

I do not think banning violence in video games really serves a purpose. There are studies that show video games don't cause all of that real violence. I think there is merit to limiting exposure to really young kids though!
        Old 2 Weeks Ago (1:32 PM).

Quote:
          Originally Posted by redhue View Post
          Debates like these still exist? lol.

I don't get why video games are being singled out for violence when it's just another medium to project it like every other media. Like the majority says, we have ratings to assess such.
          Low hanging fruit. It’s easier to blame an outside thing like a game than admit that some parents suck at child rearing. Really easy when some of the games blamed are very gory.
          Old 1 Week Ago (7:22 AM).
          starting my comeback tour

Nature: Sassy
            It seems like it's really hard for people to label bad parenting or a terrible life as the cause of real-world violence. People tend to fall back on either "it was x thing" or "they were insane!!1!" I honestly think it's because addressing the conditions that would compel a person to enact large-scale or even small-scale violence forces people to address complex problems with our society and how it affects individuals, and I don't think people really want to do that because they might have to admit even a tiny amount of responsibility if they contributed to an aspect of society that might have encouraged someone to act violently.

Old 1 Week Ago (7:29 AM).
            The Unyielding Flame

Nature: Adamant
              Quote:
              Originally Posted by Trev View Post
              It seems like it's really hard for people to label bad parenting or a terrible life as the cause of real-world violence. People tend to fall back on either "it was x thing" or "they were insane!!1!" I honestly think it's because addressing the conditions that would compel a person to enact large-scale or even small-scale violence forces people to address complex problems with our society and how it affects individuals, and I don't think people really want to do that because they might have to admit even a tiny amount of responsibility if they contributed to an aspect of society that might have encouraged someone to act violently.
              Adding to the fact that video games are extremely common now, so it makes them an easier scapegoat.

For an example, they later search the dorm room of a student who shot a few other students. They find a copy of GTA V, despite the fact that game would be in at least 50% of all students' rooms, on a bad day, they go "AH HA, IT WAS THIS GAME THAT CAUSED IT!" And disregard the real factors.

To me that's like blaming a tube of toothpaste (that everyone else also has) on someone's behavior.

Quick Reply