• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pokémon Gen 2-3 still worth it?

DmitritheDitto

Ditto Fanclub
Years
Some of you may instantly think "yes" but I wanted to have a second answer.I made a thread about a month ago and I've decided to buy a GBA,I'll be ordering one and Pokémon Ruby.Sapphire,Gold and Silver,is ia worth it or no?

Years
I've always had mixed feelings about Gen 2. On one hand, I can see its appeal, but on the other, I personally feel like the generation drags on a bit too much mostly due to Kanto.

If you're going to play any Gen 3 game anyway I'd much rather you go for Emerald rather than Ruby and Sapphire; it's the better game plus it has arguably the best Battle Frontier in all of the main series games.

Last edited:

Nah

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen yesterday
depends on what you like in Pokemon games, and what other Pokemon games you've played before

If you're going to get Gen 2 or Gen 3 games, get Crystal and Emerald instead of Gold/Silver and Ruby/Sapphire. 3rd versions have always been better than the initial pair they're based off of. Which, if you ever decide to buy the Sinnoh or Alola games, go for Platinum instead of Diamond/Pearl, and Ultra Sun/Ultra Moon instead of Sun/Moon.

Claire Lilly

~Professional Vulpix Breeder/Trainer~
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Nov 16, 2019
I've just started playing 'Pokemon: Blue' and although the graphics are really old, I'm totally exited about it, since it is the very first pokemon game. As soon as I will have played through it, I will continue with 'Yellow'. I've also already ordered 'Leafgreen' and will start with it next. If I will also play what would be my choice 'Silver', 'Crystal', 'Sapphire' and 'Smaragd' I still don't know yet, but since I've already played their remakes, I will probably not. So, back to your question, in my opinion, it is totally worth to play them.

Last edited:

CodeHelmet

Banned
Years
Generally speaking the third installment of any generation is better than the first two simply because they came out later. They're more refined, have newer content and are just better games overall. Crystal has the female playable character while Gold and Silver do not. Emerald has the Battle Frontier, complete with Pyramid King Brandon, Pike Queen Lucy and Salon Maiden Anabel.

Yellow is unique because you're locked into one starter whereas every third installment is like the first two with the 3 regional starters. The upside though is that while Pikachu is your starter in Yellow, you can obtain all 3 Kanto starters for free later on in the game(something that Red/Blue players can not do short of trading or using the Ditto glitch). Keep in mind that unless you play HeartGold or SoulSilver, the only thing in Generation 2 is Genders and the addition of Dark/Steel Types(along with fixing the Ghost vs. Psychic matchup, splitting Special into two stats and adding new Pokémon, moves and Evolutions to Kanto Pokemon). Abilities, Fairy Type and physical/special split weren't done until later.

Back