• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Books If you could recommend one book...

Bidoof FTW

[cd=font-family:carter one; font-size:13pt; color:
Years
Which would it be?

I'm currently reading How to Win Friends and Influence People, and I can really feel like my behavior is changing and I'm learning so much.

Whether it's inspiring, gripping, or just a pleasant story, what book would you recommend?

Years
  • Seen Oct 22, 2023
I'm currently reading How to Win Friends and Influence People, and I can really feel like my behavior is changing and I'm learning so much.

I've started going through this too recently, though I don't feel like it'd be easy to apply all principles until after we've read the book several times.

Years
If you're looking for a non-fiction book then the Tao Te Ching is a great option.

Find a good translation and refer to it often, it will change the way you see things.

Exothermic

Keeper of the Hammer
Years
How to Win Friends and Influence People is a fantastic book and it's given me a different outlook on how to better interact with others on a deeper level.

Personally, I would recommend Built To Last by James Collins and Jerry Porras

"This is not a book about charismatic visionary leaders. It is not about visionary product concepts or visionary products or visionary market insights. Nor is it about just having a corporate vision. This is a book about something far more important, enduring, and substantial. This is a book about visionary companies."

Last edited:

baire

many such cases
Years
I think it depends on the who I'm talking to, in general I'd recommend something like Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy because it's really funny and easily enjoyable by a wide range of tastes. (I hate recommending media because my interests are usually bizarre/niche).

If I know that they have similar interests to me, I would recommend Philisophical Investigations by Ludwig Wittgenstein, it's an absolute classic that guides the reader through an incredibly wide range of thought-provoking ideas.

If I'm talking to someone with a strong background in single variable calculus and linear algebra, for sure I'd recommend Calculus on Manifolds by Michael Spivak. I don't like making sweeping statements all that much, but Calculus on Manifolds is probably the greatest multivariable calculus book ever written. Coming in at a total of only 146 pages, it is concise yet covers enough for a year long course. I've never seen such a great demonstration of pedagogy in any textbook, it's a staple, definitely something that will completely change how you view and think of mathematics if you go through it. Chapters 4 and 5 are especially exciting, the text builds up to the generalized Stokes' theorem which I think is just one of the most beautiful results in undergraduate math.

Last edited:
Years
To Kill A Mockingbird by Harper Lee. It's hard to find a more colourful book than this in terms of writing style, and it's funny, insightful, brilliant and memorable. It deals with very heavy subjects but the way it is approached doesn't leave you with a nasty tang in your mouth like other titles. A masterpiece. Much better than Go Set A Watchman, in my opinion.

And hey, There's a Wocket in My Pocket is a triumph. Read that too.

Last edited:

Meganium

[i]memento mori[/i]
Years
Killers of the Flower Moon if you are interested in a thriller/mystery with ties to American History. Had to read it for a history class and it was definitely a good read. I heard it's also going to be a movie for it.

Last edited:
Back