• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Script Help Thread (DO NOT REQUEST SCRIPTS)

Status
Not open for further replies.

NarutoActor

The rocks cry out to me
Years
are the setting set right? Like unknown 0003 and a var number. also if you want that applymovement to work you need to add a waitmovement 0x0

Years
  • Seen Jul 26, 2010
Game: FireRed
Event Type: Person
Editor: XSE

Whenever I compile this into XSE...
Spoiler:

...the game changes it to this...
Spoiler:

What's wrong? And this is a totally different thing than my last script I posted here. Here's hoping someone will help this time...

Years
  • Seen Jul 26, 2010
make sure your using the most up-to-date xse. Also try re pointing the offsets with the original script.
I have the newest version, and I changed the offset of that message box, but no dice. Is there a different way of writing that that I can try?

trebornosliw

Learning
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 22, 2012
...hm, no help for me it seems. Ah well, I'll just stick around here and act pitiful until someone shows me some mercy.
@Shadow_Knux, have you checked to see if the script works in-game? Might be worth a try. Also, I'm sure that flag 0x888 is used in the game (if this is an FR hack), and you might want to check your variables too. It may be that those are messing this up somehow.
...frankly, I have no clue what's wrong.

Years
  • Seen Jul 26, 2010
...hm, no help for me it seems. Ah well, I'll just stick around here and act pitiful until someone shows me some mercy.
@Shadow_Knux, have you checked to see if the script works in-game? Might be worth a try. Also, I'm sure that flag 0x888 is used in the game (if this is an FR hack), and you might want to check your variables too. It may be that those are messing this up somehow.
...frankly, I have no clue what's wrong.

Yeah, I tried and it doesn't work. But thanks for the heads-up on the flag, I'll try it. But, the variables worked fine before I added in the final msgbox and fadescreen/hidesprite that screwed everything up...

trebornosliw

Learning
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 22, 2012
msgbox 0x87B012C MSG_KEEPOPEN '"[black_fr][buffer2] was transferre..."
fadescreen 0x1
closeonkeypress
Ooh! I think this might be your problem, here. closeonkeypress needs to come before fadescreen, otherwise it gets mixed up in the MSG command, I think.
Maybe not, anyway, let me know if it works.
Actually, this is kind of funny. I made a script that's pretty the same sort of event.

Yusshin

♪ Yggdrasil ♪
Years
I changed the Mom script but it doesn't actually update even after I recompile. I use XSE; I'm also a nub. This is the script (probably filled with errors) that I wanted to replace it with to see what would happen:

Code:
#dynamic 0x800000

#org @start
lock
faceplayer
textcolor 0x01
checkflag 0x200
if 0x1 goto @violaiswaiting
msgbox @1 0x6
applymovement 0x01 @move
waitmovement 0x0
applymovement 0xFF @move2
pause 0x30
release
end

#org @1
= Mom: Oh \v\h01! You're finally awake!\pProfessor Viola came by earlier;\n she wanted to talk to you but\n you were asleep.\pYou should go visit her.\n It appeared urgent.
setflag 0x200

#org @violaiswaiting
= Mom: You should go visit Viola;\n she should be in her laboratory.

#org @move
#raw 0x01
#raw 0xFE

#org @move2
#raw 0x12
#raw 0x12
#raw 0x10
#raw 0xFE

but it doesn't even make it in-game, or it appears that it doesn't; ever since I tried recompiling it, launching the ROM in Visual Boy Advance produces an error (something about some sub-[blargh] not being installed).

:<

trebornosliw

Learning
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 22, 2012
@Yusshin, also, recompiling is a bad idea. Try just compiling it normally for best results.
Erm, can someone please look at my question a few posts back? The main thing I need to know is whether I need to do anything special in order to make a changemaptile command permanent.

Sierraffinity

Desperately trying to retire from ROM hacking
Years
The main thing I need to know is whether I need to do anything special in order to make a changemaptile command permanent.
You need to make a level script in your map that has setmaptile in it. Read my XSE tutorial (with the level script tut in a link at the top) or cooley's tutorial to make a level script.

trebornosliw

Learning
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 22, 2012
You need to make a level script in your map that has setmaptile in it. Read my XSE tutorial (with the level script tut in a link at the top) or cooley's tutorial to make a level script.
Thanks, I'll do that. Your tut is awesome btw, I've had it open for so long that my computer would probably crash or something if I tried to close it :P.
...wait, one more question about that. So am I just going to do this,
checkflag (whichever I used for the changemaptile event)
if 0x1 got @blabla

#org @blabla
changemaptile (etcetera)
release
end
??
And yes, I realize that script was retarded, but it's just for example purposes.
Oh, and also I'll put in the setvar and everything of course.

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Jul 26, 2010
Ooh! I think this might be your problem, here. closeonkeypress needs to come before fadescreen, otherwise it gets mixed up in the MSG command, I think.
Maybe not, anyway, let me know if it works.
Actually, this is kind of funny. I made a script that's pretty the same sort of event.
Nope. Still being autocorrected. At this point, I'd be fine with just leaving the sprite visible, but having him not be there if you come back. Would you happen to know how to do that?

trebornosliw

Learning
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 22, 2012
Nope. Still being autocorrected. At this point, I'd be fine with just leaving the sprite visible, but having him not be there if you come back. Would you happen to know how to do that?
Darn. Oh well, just remove the fadescreens and he should be gone when you come back, or at least, that's what I inadvertantly did to myself in one of my scripts :P. Of course, it might just make him vanish without the fadescreen, if it works properly.

Years
  • Seen Jul 26, 2010
Darn. Oh well, just remove the fadescreens and he should be gone when you come back, or at least, that's what I inadvertantly did to myself in one of my scripts :P. Of course, it might just make him vanish without the fadescreen, if it works properly.
I removed the fadescreen and such, but I still get my msgbox changed to loadpointer. This is becoming quite annoying, as that HAD worked before.

Thank you for being so helpful though.

trebornosliw

Learning
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 22, 2012
I removed the fadescreen and such, but I still get my msgbox changed to loadpointer. This is becoming quite annoying, as that HAD worked before.

Thank you for being so helpful though.
That's it, I am never, ever, hacking Emerald. That rom sounds absolutely demonic...
Anyhoo, can someone show me the basic structure of a changemaptile level script? The level script tuts don't really say much on cmt.
Basically, I've got an event in the map that has a changemaptile, and sets flag 0x1011 right afterwards. I need the changemaptile to be permanent, so that if I leave the map and re-enter it will still be there. So, for the level script, do I need to basically put "checkflag 0x1011, if 0x1 goto @keepthetreethere?"

Yusshin

♪ Yggdrasil ♪
Years
I changed the Mom script but it doesn't actually update even after I recompile. I use XSE; I'm also a nub. This is the script (probably filled with errors) that I wanted to replace it with to see what would happen:

Code:
#dynamic 0x800000

#org @start
lock
faceplayer
textcolor 0x01
checkflag 0x200
if 0x1 goto @violaiswaiting
msgbox @1 0x6
applymovement 0x01 @move
waitmovement 0x0
applymovement 0xFF @move2
pause 0x30
release
end

#org @1
= Mom: Oh \v\h01! You're finally awake!\pProfessor Viola came by earlier;\n she wanted to talk to you but\n you were asleep.\pYou should go visit her.\n It appeared urgent.
setflag 0x200

#org @violaiswaiting
= Mom: You should go visit Viola;\n she should be in her laboratory.

#org @move
#raw 0x01
#raw 0xFE

#org @move2
#raw 0x12
#raw 0x12
#raw 0x10
#raw 0xFE

but it doesn't even make it in-game, or it appears that it doesn't; ever since I tried recompiling it, launching the ROM in Visual Boy Advance produces an error (something about some sub-[blargh] not being installed).

:<

Where do I put the "setflag x200"? and how do I test what it does (and if correctly) in-game?

trebornosliw

Learning
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 22, 2012
Okay, so ignore the sub-blargh error when you start the rom, that's just a clock issue that won't affect your script. Your setflag needs to come right before the end of your script, after the pause 0x30 would be great. However, 0x200 isn't a good flag to use, are you aiming for a specific event flag? 0x1000 is a lot safer, as it isn't used by the game.

KotovSyndrome_

Consumer of many asparagus.
Years
Game: LG
Type: Person script
Editor: XSE
Script:
Spoiler:

The script is meant to make the guy give you an old rod if you say yes, and then when you speak to him after you've got the rod, he says "To fish..."
Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back