• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Lycanroc GX deck

Hands

I was saying Boo-urns
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Dec 15, 2022
Pokemon

4x Rockruff
3x Lycanroc GX (Promo)
1x Lycanroc GX (SM2)
2x Shaymin EX
2x Carbink
2x Carbink BREAK

Items

4x Ultra Ball
4x Nest Ball
4x VS Seeker
3x Choice Band
2x EvoSoda
2x Max Potion
2x Float Stone
1x Super Rod

Supporters

4x Prof Sycamore
3x Prof Kukui
2x N
2x Lysandre
1x Delinquent

Stadiums

3x Scorched Earth
1x Parallel City

Energy

4x Fighting
4x Strong Energy

The idea is not dissimilar to the older Zygarde decks. Ditch strong energy with ultraball/Sycamore, use Carbink Break to accelerate them into Lycanroc GX. With three Strong Energy and Choiceband Lycanroc GX is doing 210 per turn. Kukui brings it up to 230 which is enough to 1 hit most things. Max potion when you have to and use Carbink BREAK to gain that energy back.

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Jan 24, 2022
on its own, it seems like a solid deck.
However, since I know this kind of came from my lurantis one out.
There'll definitely be some tweaks.
I do like the fact that you included the new one. I'm personally a bigger fan of the new one but I think since my brother got his as a late b-day gift, he'll probably want to play that.

But anything from before breakpoint/breakthrough will get pushed out. Cuz I'm fairly certain they'll raise the bar till that point for standard. And while I do prefer expanded, I feel like standard fits better for newer players (aka my lil bros).

Things like Shaymin get even tossed aside by me. He's good, don't get me wrong but ridiculously expensive, especially for a player like myself, who's just playing the game for fun. I just want to enjoy the game together with some friends and family in my situation, without throwing stupid amounts of money to a single card. These are the cards that even if I need them, if I pull them, I'll be selling them. But then again, the card asks a high price but I've rarely seen anyone actually open their wallets for it.

I'm gonna be honest, for things like vs seeker and such, I definitely started playing to late. One of the reasons I wanna do a reset on SuMo, a fresh start, so to speak.
But thank you, I'll definitely talk about these cards with my brother, see what he says. Might be a bit to difficult to check things out now cuz lycanroc still a fresh promo (over here at least) and well no rockruffs around yet.

I'm really hoping tapu lele comes down to a normal price ... XD

Hands

I was saying Boo-urns
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Dec 15, 2022
on its own, it seems like a solid deck.
However, since I know this kind of came from my lurantis one out.
There'll definitely be some tweaks.
I do like the fact that you included the new one. I'm personally a bigger fan of the new one but I think since my brother got his as a late b-day gift, he'll probably want to play that.

But anything from before breakpoint/breakthrough will get pushed out. Cuz I'm fairly certain they'll raise the bar till that point for standard. And while I do prefer expanded, I feel like standard fits better for newer players (aka my lil bros).

Things like Shaymin get even tossed aside by me. He's good, don't get me wrong but ridiculously expensive, especially for a player like myself, who's just playing the game for fun. I just want to enjoy the game together with some friends and family in my situation, without throwing stupid amounts of money to a single card. These are the cards that even if I need them, if I pull them, I'll be selling them. But then again, the card asks a high price but I've rarely seen anyone actually open their wallets for it.

I'm gonna be honest, for things like vs seeker and such, I definitely started playing to late. One of the reasons I wanna do a reset on SuMo, a fresh start, so to speak.
But thank you, I'll definitely talk about these cards with my brother, see what he says. Might be a bit to difficult to check things out now cuz lycanroc still a fresh promo (over here at least) and well no rockruffs around yet.

I'm really hoping tapu lele comes down to a normal price ... XD

Oh this was my existing list that I've had knocking around for a week or so, only posted it this early cuz of our chat though.

Shaymin are pricey, but you need them to do well at the top tables. I make all my lists with that in mind. You could drop both and replace them with Oranguru or something for more casual play. Seekers can be dropped for Puzzles of time or more supporters.

Tapu-Lele is unfortunately going to be a £20+ card at launch.

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Jan 24, 2022
Oh this was my existing list that I've had knocking around for a week or so, only posted it this early cuz of our chat though.

Shaymin are pricey, but you need them to do well at the top tables. I make all my lists with that in mind. You could drop both and replace them with Oranguru or something for more casual play. Seekers can be dropped for Puzzles of time or more supporters.

Tapu-Lele is unfortunately going to be a £20+ card at launch.

You did add it ... at launch ... of course. Lurantis ran around 25 bucks at launch, it's 10 now (actually I got 2 for 18euro).
But yeah, I don't do top tables ... I'm not competitive at all and on top of that, the atmosphere in championships ... not really pleasant at all. I used to like to do tournaments and championships when I played any tcg, just to see how I as a casual player would fair up against the "meta" cuz I play what I like, not what's good. But the atmosphere, how people are, how they act and so on, it's absolutely horrible. It's as if I was constantly pushed in a room full of 6 yr olds who can't stand losing and trust me, before I thought my brother that you can have fun either way as long as it's fair and it feels fair, he was just like that.

But anyway, drifting off. I'm glad you shared it. I think for any tcg game, I won't ever be on top, just because of what I choose to play, how I choose to play. If given exactly the same decks and we'd go pure on skill alone then that's another story. That's why I don't do competitive anymore either, it's not fair.
And I drifted back didn't I XD

I'm hoping for some better/good trainers in the next SuMo set. We already get the lele who's great. Hoping for some more great cards aside from her :D

Hands

I was saying Boo-urns
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Dec 15, 2022
You did add it ... at launch ... of course. Lurantis ran around 25 bucks at launch, it's 10 now (actually I got 2 for 18euro).
But yeah, I don't do top tables ... I'm not competitive at all and on top of that, the atmosphere in championships ... not really pleasant at all. I used to like to do tournaments and championships when I played any tcg, just to see how I as a casual player would fair up against the "meta" cuz I play what I like, not what's good. But the atmosphere, how people are, how they act and so on, it's absolutely horrible. It's as if I was constantly pushed in a room full of 6 yr olds who can't stand losing and trust me, before I thought my brother that you can have fun either way as long as it's fair and it feels fair, he was just like that.

But anyway, drifting off. I'm glad you shared it. I think for any tcg game, I won't ever be on top, just because of what I choose to play, how I choose to play. If given exactly the same decks and we'd go pure on skill alone then that's another story. That's why I don't do competitive anymore either, it's not fair.
And I drifted back didn't I XD

I'm hoping for some better/good trainers in the next SuMo set. We already get the lele who's great. Hoping for some more great cards aside from her :D

The problem is Lurantis is ok, it's a good grass card, but it's not a staple. Tapu-Lele will be a staple. Jirachi EX (which is a much worse version of Lele) still costs around £20-£30 (more than Shaymin now)

My lists are set for tournys because I usually build them for myself, but like I say, move things around, drop bits out etc. It'll still run well enough without Shaymin EX in it, and come Sept. i'll have to drop Shay anyway.

I'm quite fortunate, my local league are pretty decent guys and girls and when we host city champs and stuff everyone just gets on well with each other.

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Jan 24, 2022
The problem is Lurantis is ok, it's a good grass card, but it's not a staple. Tapu-Lele will be a staple. Jirachi EX (which is a much worse version of Lele) still costs around £20-£30 (more than Shaymin now)

My lists are set for tournys because I usually build them for myself, but like I say, move things around, drop bits out etc. It'll still run well enough without Shaymin EX in it, and come Sept. i'll have to drop Shay anyway.

I'm quite fortunate, my local league are pretty decent guys and girls and when we host city champs and stuff everyone just gets on well with each other.

Local tournaments can be fine but well, I haven't done any pokemon yet but I've done vanguard and there are a few bad apples that kind of ruin the entire thing.

Also jirachi is 10 bucks (euro) shaymin is 40eu, normal rarity. But you're right tho, it's not a staple and lele will indeed be one.

I do have to ask, did you buy your shaymin(s) or did you pull them yourself or trade?
You see one of the problems I have and oooh boy, people have started entire wars with me because of what I'm about to say, the prices are to high for the system pokemon has.
Again, the system is both good and bad. But you've been able to enjoy shaymin but he's going and it's something you and everyone else knew was gonna happen, which is why I don't understand how people can give 30-50 bucks for it. He's definitely a great card but you know, and this is something that for some reason really destroys the game for me.
With SuMo just behind us, next set coming and closing in to the new rotation, I've been thinking a lot about it and I'm honestly happy with the system. But at the same time every time I was looking for Lurantis (in this case) I dropped her in my cart and by the end of my shopping spree, I just emptied my entire card because I knew that they'll be banned (as in not standard), it'll be a few years from now but it was the fact that it was gonna happen, the idea basically. Tho I did end up buying them after they dropped to like 8-9 eu XD
Also totally of topic ... geez.

But a question about the deck, since you are running 4 lycanrocs ... why did you go for 3-1 ratio and not a 2-2?
A really serious question btw.

Hands

I was saying Boo-urns
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Dec 15, 2022
Local tournaments can be fine but well, I haven't done any pokemon yet but I've done vanguard and there are a few bad apples that kind of ruin the entire thing.

Also jirachi is 10 bucks (euro) shaymin is 40eu, normal rarity. But you're right tho, it's not a staple and lele will indeed be one.

I do have to ask, did you buy your shaymin(s) or did you pull them yourself or trade?
You see one of the problems I have and oooh boy, people have started entire wars with me because of what I'm about to say, the prices are to high for the system pokemon has.
Again, the system is both good and bad. But you've been able to enjoy shaymin but he's going and it's something you and everyone else knew was gonna happen, which is why I don't understand how people can give 30-50 bucks for it. He's definitely a great card but you know, and this is something that for some reason really destroys the game for me.
With SuMo just behind us, next set coming and closing in to the new rotation, I've been thinking a lot about it and I'm honestly happy with the system. But at the same time every time I was looking for Lurantis (in this case) I dropped her in my cart and by the end of my shopping spree, I just emptied my entire card because I knew that they'll be banned (as in not standard), it'll be a few years from now but it was the fact that it was gonna happen, the idea basically. Tho I did end up buying them after they dropped to like 8-9 eu XD
Also totally of topic ... geez.

But a question about the deck, since you are running 4 lycanrocs ... why did you go for 3-1 ratio and not a 2-2?
A really serious question btw.

I bought my Shaymins. One was £40 when they were out of print, the other was £30. They sell for £20-£25 now in the UK. Jirachi EX is at the lowest £20 here.

The 3-1 ratio is simply because the daytime Lycanroc is slightly better. The Night one has the Lysandre effect and a better GX attack but overall is a less powerful card.

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Jan 24, 2022
I bought my Shaymins. One was £40 when they were out of print, the other was £30. They sell for £20-£25 now in the UK. Jirachi EX is at the lowest £20 here.

The 3-1 ratio is simply because the daytime Lycanroc is slightly better. The Night one has the Lysandre effect and a better GX attack but overall is a less powerful card.

I'm not sure if I can leave a link to a market place (kind of like ebay but just for tcg) it's for Europe and the UK falls underneath it so. Might be cheaper to get cards there but idk if I'm allowed to leave a link to that on here.

I just went to check the other lycanroc out and you're right. Ability is great, gx move is definitely better but being able to crunch off an energy feels a bit more handy. Gives you more time to really slow your opponent and slightly control the field. I feel like he might have trouble against decks running really fast or decks that work like solgaleo/lurantis/etc single energy that gives more energy to bench.
I was thinking about 4 max elixirs but then I remembered that gx doesn't mean basic like ex does (unless they mega evolve)

Hands

I was saying Boo-urns
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Dec 15, 2022
I'm not sure if I can leave a link to a market place (kind of like ebay but just for tcg) it's for Europe and the UK falls underneath it so. Might be cheaper to get cards there but idk if I'm allowed to leave a link to that on here.

I just went to check the other lycanroc out and you're right. Ability is great, gx move is definitely better but being able to crunch off an energy feels a bit more handy. Gives you more time to really slow your opponent and slightly control the field. I feel like he might have trouble against decks running really fast or decks that work like solgaleo/lurantis/etc single energy that gives more energy to bench.
I was thinking about 4 max elixirs but then I remembered that gx doesn't mean basic like ex does (unless they mega evolve)

You can post a link, I'm fairly sure anyway, if not I'll take responsibility for it.

Max elixir could deffo work yeah, for carbink mainly. Remember, we want the strong energy on lycanroc gx, and you cant get those on max elixir unfortunately

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Jan 24, 2022
You can post a link, I'm fairly sure anyway, if not I'll take responsibility for it.

Max elixir could deffo work yeah, for carbink mainly. Remember, we want the strong energy on lycanroc gx, and you cant get those on max elixir unfortunately

Exactly why I feel like max elixir might be a bit dumb. For carbink yeah but doesn't it just need one energy for its attack? Or is it 2 for the gem atk...

Also this is the site I've been using for a few years now.
https://en.pokemoncardmarket.eu/
It's probably the best thing I found for people within europe. Unlike ebay, troll and toad and so on, where you have massive shipping costs. And your 5$ card is suddenly 10$
tho I have to say that the wishlist function, isn't one of the best features XD

Hands

I was saying Boo-urns
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Dec 15, 2022
Exactly why I feel like max elixir might be a bit dumb. For carbink yeah but doesn't it just need one energy for its attack? Or is it 2 for the gem atk...

Also this is the site I've been using for a few years now.
https://en.pokemoncardmarket.eu/
It's probably the best thing I found for people within europe. Unlike ebay, troll and toad and so on, where you have massive shipping costs. And your 5$ card is suddenly 10$
tho I have to say that the wishlist function, isn't one of the best features XD

Man that's crazy, Shaymin is much more expensive but Jirachi is much cheaper? Cheers for the link mate, that's gonna come in handy for me, especially since we can use any EU language card in the UK.

Yeah, Elixir isnt really needed, especialy with only 4 basic energy. You're gonna run into a lot less successes than fails. If you're not running Shaymin it might be worth throwing Prof's letter in

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Jan 24, 2022
Man that's crazy, Shaymin is much more expensive but Jirachi is much cheaper? Cheers for the link mate, that's gonna come in handy for me, especially since we can use any EU language card in the UK.

Yeah, Elixir isnt really needed, especialy with only 4 basic energy. You're gonna run into a lot less successes than fails. If you're not running Shaymin it might be worth throwing Prof's letter in

No probs man. For me these are like the correct/certain prices because I don't need to think about massive shipping fees or sometimes even custom fees (it has happened before).
My little brother seems to really want to play it. We checked first to make it completely SuMo. And when he finally has all the lycanrocs and rockruffs, we'll use cards he already has as well.
The reason why I made them both use only SuMo cards is because going from this point forward it'll be easier for them to get cards from that set and upcoming sets. Of course when they already have usable cards or get the chance for a certain (single) card, then there's no reason not to use those.

Back