• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Chit-Chat: Pokémon General Daily Chit-Chat. Join in.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Apr 19, 2024
I love bug pokémon, since I don't care about stats and battling inside the games ;) For roleplays, they make brilliant pokémon to have on a team. Especially stuff like Heracross or Scyther. Or Ledian, hm, I should have caught a Ledyba in that RP just now. Maybe I can arrange a trade for one later.

Shhmew

Years
I forgot about Arbok! Isn't it said that it's pattern becomes more frightening as the generations go on?
Oh goodness, I'd say it gets less frightening, if anything. But it kind of stopped changing around the 4th generation.
Spoiler:

Also, I love Butterfree just the way it is! It's one of my favorite pokemon <3 And, definitely my favorite bug type, though Volcarona is up there too.

Years
It's no secret that Butterfree's both my favorite Bug type and favorite Pokemon overall, even if it isn't all that powerful. Get yourself a speedy one with Compound Eyes and a Wide Lens though, and feel free to abuse its status powders to your heart's content!

I've also got a shiny Heracross sitting in my HeartGold that I should really get around to using at some point. It's easily one of my top 5 favorite Bug types, but I can never seem to slot it into any of my teams.

Miracle Seed

Serpentine trainer
Years
Arbok is still awesome, but yeah, the patterns stopped being cool a few generations ago, sadly.
Bugs are nice little status speedsters if trained properly. People should be willing to give more of them a chance

Nolafus

Aspiring something
Years
Some bug types are really cool. My favorite bug type is Volcarona because of how good of a battler it is. It's come in handy many times and sweeps many teams.

I've always liked Arbok. Well, I pretty much like all of the snake pokemon, but I did use Arbok for a while on my NU team. It's really good if you can get a couple coils in.

Shhmew

Years
Yee, I always liked Serperior's design, at least a lot more than the other 5th gen starters. And I remember right when Black and White came out, others in school being like "LOL IT HAS PARSLEY ON ITS TAIL. GAME FREAK IS SO RUNNING OUT OF IDEAS" and I just sat in the corner feeling sad I didn't have the game yet. :C

Years
  • Seen Oct 22, 2023
I've never used Arbok when battling. Its stats are extremely poor, unfortunately, so it just isn't a good option. :( I might consider using its evolution though, if it ever gets any. My favorite snake Pokémon is probably Serperior. With combination of Contrary and Leaf Storm, it could cause some major havoc. It's also quite speedy, which is a plus.

Platina Berlitz

Pure bliss
Years
Snivy does have a regal stance to it. Haha. I wasn't and am still not really thrilled with the starters from B/W. Mine wound up in the pc

Elaitenstile

I am legend
Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Feb 27, 2015
Snivy does have a regal stance to it. Haha. I wasn't and am still not really thrilled with the starters from B/W. Mine wound up in the pc

I think people started building up huge expectations after the previous starters were great hits. Gamefreak simplified the designs a lot, and made it more complex as the starters evolved. Which is probably why people thought the starters were 'out of sync'.

Can't blame them, though. I wasn't a big fan of the Unova starters, but I grew used to them. We need changes once in a while, after all.

Noir

Sir Lucious Left Foot
Years
I don't think the snivy line and oshawott line were all that complex, but that's just me. I think people mainly got carried up in the hype and their expectations pre-release on what the B/W starters were going to be like from their looks (Water/Fighting Samurott anyone?) got flipped upside down. A 3rd Fire/Fighting pokemon in a row certainly didn't help matters haha

Shhmew

Years
I just found the B/W starters to be highly unimpressive. Nothing about them stuck out to me, except that Emboar is especially ugly. =P I used Oshawott and just ended up dumping it for Jellicent because it was really boring. I used Tepig and it was just another fire/fighting type, on top of being really ugly. I used Snivy and it was just not knocking things out very efficiently; stall pokemon are not ideal to use in-game, at least in my opinion. Just slows things down unnecessarily. (Definitely not saying I don't like Snivy/Servine/Serperior, I love them, just not fun to use in-game)

Years
  • Seen Oct 22, 2023
B/W starters weren't all that bad, but they could have put a little more work into Oshawott and Tepig line in terms of design. To me, they just don't look very well. d: Stats-wise, they are okay. Though, I don't use them much when battling competitively due to their limited movepool.

bobandbill

one more time
Years
Oshawott's line I liked the best because of its evolutions. The jump from Dewott to Samurott was a bit odd and unexpected, but I did like its design still and the fact it wield swords hidden in its legs/arms was quite neat imo.

Tepig though was disappointing, I really didn't like how its evolutions went. Serperior is alright but not among my more favoured starters, to be honest.

Twisted Cuteness

Always a team
Years
  • Va
  • Seen Apr 24, 2016
I didn't feel a big spark for any of the starters either. I just picked Snivy because the line was the most interesting. After I beat the game, it went into the pc

Years
Oshawott's line I liked the best because of its evolutions. The jump from Dewott to Samurott was a bit odd and unexpected, but I did like its design still and the fact it wield swords hidden in its legs/arms was quite neat imo.

Tepig though was disappointing, I really didn't like how its evolutions went. Serperior is alright but not among my more favoured starters, to be honest.

I agree with ya Marcin, I didn't know we both liked Oshawott lol

But while Samurott may look different to his pre-evos, I do love how he hides those swords in his legs and he can even stand up on two legs when using the swords. Also, Oshawott's scalchop is shown in the animation for the move Razor Shell, probably because of how the line is heavily associated with the move despite not being a signature move. Oshawott captures cuteness perfectly, Samurott captures the badass side, while Dewott is a mixture of both. No wonder it's always my starter of choice whenever I play a Unova game.

Snivy's line was kinda cool-looking as well despite the terrible movepool, and I actually don't mind Tepig's line at all, I don't even find Emboar ugly at all unlike most people here. Plus, he's actually kinda strong when trained correctly.

I love bug pokémon, since I don't care about stats and battling inside the games ;) For roleplays, they make brilliant pokémon to have on a team. Especially stuff like Heracross or Scyther. Or Ledian, hm, I should have caught a Ledyba in that RP just now. Maybe I can arrange a trade for one later.

Yeah, Bug-types definitely got stronger over the generations, especially when he had hard-hitters like Scizor, Heracross, Pinsir, Scolipede, Volcarona, Galvantula, Yanmega and Genesect come onto the scene. And I was so surprised that in X/Y, Vivillon can potentially destroy a lot of early opponents thanks to the buffed power of Struggle Bug.

No wonder I love my beloved male River Vivillon so much... he's now an amazing Compound Eyes + Hurricane abuser.

Years
The Oshawott line is kind of neat. The final evo could've been a little better...Also I wish it's signature attack was a little Fr as well. At least it wasn't as disappointing as Froakie's

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Apr 19, 2024
I was honestly more disappointed in Fennekin's evos. Froakie's line was totally fine and Chespin and Chesnaught are fantastic, even though the middle thing is not so great.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back