Fan Games Hub General discussions about all things fan games. Topics relating to both ROM hacks and custom games are welcome here. Posting links to ROMs is illegal and is not tolerated anywhere on the forum.

Draconius GO

Old January 18th, 2011 (5:52 PM).

i am using a smart cart and i put pokemon brown on it, all the sprites are messed up and it isnt the cartridge all my other games work fine, all the sprites in the game are messed up and have lines going through them, is there any way to fix this?

Relevant Advertising!

Old January 19th, 2011 (10:41 AM).
    Not Invented Here

It's a known problem. It's due to the fact that the hackers, that made Brown, re-programmed the sprite-loading routine, however, they probably didn't take into account one thing: VRAM (i.e. the gbc hardware area where graphics are loaded) is not accessible all the time (it has a cycle: inaccessible for 59 milliseconds, then accessible for 1.1 millisecond, then again inaccessible for 59 milliseconds, and so on).

So they probably only tested their new code on VBA, which is well known for not emulating the real GB's VRAM inaccessibility, so if you play it on an actual gbc it will show the flaw. If you try to play Brown on BGB, it has a checkbox option where you can choose wheter emulate the VRAM inaccessibility or not. The two results would be the following:

[VRAM inaccessible]

[VRAM accessible]

Also, creators of Brown don't seem to care about correcting this issue so you just have to play it with that problem (if you're using a real GB) or play it on an emulator that doesn't care for VRAM accessibility.

| 1st Gen Hacking: Useful Links | A good example of REAL ROM Hacking |

Quick Reply