• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Chit-Chat: Challenges Ideas & Discussion

Tek

Years
Hi! I was told by one of the moderators to post a request/thought I had here. I was wondering if we could get a thread going that would rate/review/rank Challenge logs so people that post them could get feedback in a constructive way and people that are looking for a good read could easily sort through what they might like to read?

I'm new to being an active poster here so any thoughts/ideas would be welcome!

Thanks for your time!
KNOST

I'd enjoy something like that. Would be an interesting addition to the Challenges forum IMO.

Here's one way it could work:

- Determine criteria for a member to be a reviewer. Select a few people to be reviewers. Rotate reviewers regularly if there are many qualified volunteers.
- Once per week, each reviewer picks a challenge log to review (may want to seek permission from the member who posted the log). Review consists of three parts: what works well, what could be improved, and what the reviewer likes best about the challenge log.

Personally, I would enjoy giving feedback. And it could be exciting to be the person featured in the weekly review!

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 36
  • Seen Nov 16, 2018
I'd enjoy something like that. Would be an interesting addition to the Challenges forum IMO.

- Determine criteria for a member to be a reviewer. Select a few people to be reviewers. Rotate reviewers regularly if there are many qualified volunteers.
- Once per week, each reviewer picks a challenge log to review (may want to seek permission from the member who posted the log). Review consists of three parts: what works well, what could be improved, and what the reviewer likes best about the challenge log.

Personally, I would enjoy giving feedback. And it could be exciting to be the person featured in the weekly review!

That honestly sounds amazing. I would be a part of that 100%

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Apr 2, 2024
Hi! I was told by one of the moderators to post a request/thought I had here. I was wondering if we could get a thread going that would rate/review/rank Challenge logs so people that post them could get feedback in a constructive way and people that are looking for a good read could easily sort through what they might like to read?

I'm new to being an active poster here so any thoughts/ideas would be welcome!

Thanks for your time!
KNOST

Sounds really fun! Perhaps to begin with, we could simply see what people from this thread feel like being reviewers? If it's 4-5 people maximum, that'll be alright.

However, there still aren't very many active personal logs... Hopefully this could lead to logging seeming more fun (:

Would you like to make a new thread each time and place it here in the main Challenges forum each time, or a permanent sticky thread where the reviewers post every week/month? Or should the review happen directly in the challenge log thread? (that would be much less visible)

Years
  • Age 36
  • Seen Nov 16, 2018
Sounds really fun! Perhaps to begin with, we could simply see what people from this thread feel like being reviewers? If it's 4-5 people maximum, that'll be alright.

However, there still aren't very many active personal logs... Hopefully this could lead to logging seeming more fun (:

Would you like to make a new thread each time and place it here in the main Challenges forum each time, or a permanent sticky thread where the reviewers post every week/month? Or should the review happen directly in the challenge log thread? (that would be much less visible)

Honestly, I think one main, stickied thread would be easier for people to follow for sure. The OP would serve as an index of sorts and the reviews would just take place in the Second saved post in the thread? (Maybe have a place for a 'Previously' and a 'Coming up' link in the Second Post as well?)

That said I'll go with what a more experienced poster here would advise, but that's how it seems to work out in my mind.

Other ideas for the thread:
A Poll?
A section (third saved post) for best 'Amateur Review'? (A review not done by one of the main 5 Reviewers)
A Q and A with the Challenge Log writer?
A Challenge Log 'Pok?mon of the Week' award? (With Quick synopsis of their journey)

So yeah. That's all I have for now lol

Years
I think having thread for reviews is great idea. It would probably finally kick me to read some of the logs :D

Anyway, it's kinda sad that we don't have GT Event :(

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Apr 2, 2024
I think having thread for reviews is great idea. It would probably finally kick me to read some of the logs :D

Anyway, it's kinda sad that we don't have GT Event :(
Can't you host one? (:

By the way, in the Challenges rules there is one rule stating that the creators of a challenge needs to participate in their own challenge and can't just post one and hope that somebody else wants to try it. Do you guys feel like that rule is necessary and beneficial?

Years
Can't you host one? (:

I don't think that's how it works :D

By the way, in the Challenges rules there is one rule stating that the creators of a challenge needs to participate in their own challenge and can't just post one and hope that somebody else wants to try it. Do you guys feel like that rule is necessary and beneficial?

I think it dont hurt anyone. IMHO If anyone wants to create challenge, they should be willing to complete it.

Years
  • Age 36
  • Seen Nov 16, 2018
I'm not able to host the thread for reviewing Challenge Logs, but if someone can take that on I would absolutely contribute.

And, again, I think it would serve an invaluable purpose in these forums and for our members. We have so many talented people on this website, but it's difficult to keep motivated to write when you aren't getting feedback.

Thanks for the dialogue and let me know! :)

KNOST

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Apr 2, 2024
I don't think that's how it works :D
Aha. My bad, I'm not very involved in the GT stuff at all o:

We could still do a monthly thing for September and let it be GT inspired, perhaps.

Tek

Years
Can't you host one? (:

Seems to me that rule serves a couple of specific purposes.

One is to keep ill-thought out ideas from being posted. Requiring challenges to be approved adequately serves that purpose IMO.

The other utility of that rule is to reduce the number of challenges that are posted by requiring the poster to invest their own time in it. I would say that the rule probably is not necessary given the current level of participation here.

I suspect it was needed at some point in the past. And it may be needed again if participation increases.

I'm not able to host the thread for reviewing Challenge Logs, but if someone can take that on I would absolutely contribute.

And, again, I think it would serve an invaluable purpose in these forums and for our members. We have so many talented people on this website, but it's difficult to keep motivated to write when you aren't getting feedback.

Thanks for the dialogue and let me know! :)

KNOST

I agree, it's nice to know that people have read what you wrote.

I'll work on submitting a thread this weekend unless someone else would like to take it on.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 36
  • Seen Nov 16, 2018
I agree, it's nice to know that people have read what you wrote.

I'll work on submitting a thread this weekend unless someone else would like to take it on.

Amazing! Thank you!

Tek

Years
I did not get that thread created like I said I would. I know at least one of y'all was excited for it so what I'll do is move the completion date to Monday by 5pm, and I put it in my calendar with a couple alerts so I don't have to rely on my brain to remind me :D

Years
I did not get that thread created like I said I would. I know at least one of y'all was excited for it so what I'll do is move the completion date to Monday by 5pm, and I put it in my calendar with a couple alerts so I don't have to rely on my brain to remind me :D

Great, looking forward to it.

Years
  • Age 36
  • Seen Nov 16, 2018

Thank you :)

Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Jan 5, 2018
So, uh, I'm having an issue with one of my runs...

...My pokemon is so weak that Leech Seed heals more in one turn than my pokemon can deal damage to most foes.

-Can't use a different pokemon, it's a solo run.
-Can't switch, again, solo run.
-Training will just get them to recover more, so that's no help. (Unless I KO them in 1/2 hits, before leech seed comes out, but that's going to take AGES; I'm already 10 levels higher)
-Can't learn a stronger move, reached the end of my moveset.
-Can't learn substitute or something to block the move.
-Don't currently know any power-boosting or defense-dropping moves.
-Can't buy X-items yet
-Struggle-stalling is just not going to work, I'm bulky but I'm not THAT bulky. Especially with their leech seed.

So uhh, the only thing I can think of is learning the double team TM, but that's kinda cheap. Any ideas?

For the record, it's not that my pokemon's weak, it just has very high HP so leech seed recovers a lot... OK, it's a combination of both. I'm using happiny. Still, I need help.

It's a problem with the entire gym, not just one trainer, so I really need some help. (for the record, it's the Eterna City gym in Diamond/Pearl.)

Years
  • Age 36
  • Seen Nov 16, 2018
So, uh, I'm having an issue with one of my runs...

...My pokemon is so weak that Leech Seed heals more in one turn than my pokemon can deal damage to most foes.

-Can't use a different pokemon, it's a solo run.
-Can't switch, again, solo run.
-Training will just get them to recover more, so that's no help. (Unless I KO them in 1/2 hits, before leech seed comes out, but that's going to take AGES; I'm already 10 levels higher)
-Can't learn a stronger move, reached the end of my moveset.
-Can't learn substitute or something to block the move.
-Don't currently know any power-boosting or defense-dropping moves.
-Can't buy X-items yet
-Struggle-stalling is just not going to work, I'm bulky but I'm not THAT bulky. Especially with their leech seed.

So uhh, the only thing I can think of is learning the double team TM, but that's kinda cheap. Any ideas?

For the record, it's not that my pokemon's weak, it just has very high HP so leech seed recovers a lot... OK, it's a combination of both. I'm using happiny. Still, I need help.

It's a problem with the entire gym, not just one trainer, so I really need some help. (for the record, it's the Eterna City gym in Diamond/Pearl.)

What's your Pokémon's Level, what other moves does it have and how is Double team cheap? Lol Double team + Leech seed seems like a solid strategy until you get better moves to me! :)

Halfcadence

Monocolorist
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jun 2, 2023

Is the plan to eventually become Chansey/Blissey, or is it all Happiny all the time? If it's the former, you /might/ be able to get an Oval stone from The Underground. I don't really have that much experience using the underground myself, so I don't know if any of the items are time-gated or not, but that might be an option?

Double team + Leech seed seems like a solid strategy until you get better moves to me! :)

The enemies are the ones with Leech Seed from the sound of it.

Back