• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Map Showcase and Review

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen today
And now for my map:
Spoiler:

Hack: Liquid Crystal
Map Name: Safari Zone

This is the Safari in the Orange Islands! That means there are no trainers on the map. I've yet to decide events like what items you can find. This area is home to some unique Pokemon, wild or given to you as rewards for doing well in the safari challenge. You can see that the map has a lot of connections in nearly all directions (east, west, north) so you can be sure there are other maps like it around it. The safari was designed to not be possible to be explored in one play-through of 500 steps - it's my personal dream to make the safari so large that you have to take your time with it to look all around the place!
Overall I like the design of your map, though, there certainly are things that I find a little bit curious. I assume, the house at the bottom is the entrance and those ledges are there to prevent the player from leaving the place, or getting easy access to the other side. However, from a worldbuilding perspective it doesn't really make sense to have stairs built that don't lead anywhere but a point of no return. Nobody would ever waste money on that. Also: how do people get back to the entrance after the 500 steps?
Another thing I find interesting is that only the road at the top left corner has those two bushes, which leads me to believe that that road is special. Well, I kinda hope that road is special, otherwise those bushes might be a little bit misleading.
Lastly, those waterfalls are really really ugly and cut into the scenery. I know they are the originals and adjusting that stuff might not be particularly easy, but I really have to wonder why people still haven't replaced those a long time ago. But then again, that's just me being nitpicky for the sake of being nitpicky.

But, like I said: overall a good map.

Dyskinesia

Second-rate hack
Years
  • Age 25
  • Ohio
  • Seen May 12, 2019
Name: Route 1

2nZpSf1.png

I like the tiles themselves, but the colors feel off. The greens are way different from one another, making them seem less natural.

Tiny nitpick with the short grass tiles: I can tell they're based off the FRLG tiles, and in FRLG there are like 5 different basic grass tiles. imo It's really important to mix around the different grass tiles so those areas full of short grass don't look so uniform.

I'm new to mapping though, so take all that with a grain of salt :P

--------------------------

Anyway, here's my map that I did today:

DXszxuV.png

Imgur Link: http://i.imgur.com/DXszxuV.png

This isn't just one route/area, it's just all of my Region that I've done thus far. You start in the bottom left city, then you go into the Professor's Pokemon Sanctuary immediately to the right of that city, where you catch your first Pokemon Safari-Zone style. Then you talk to the professor inside of the cave in the center of that sanctuary about storyline fossil stuff, then you get to go on your real adventure North of the town, Route 1. All of the caves entrances on this route are blocked off at this point. You then proceed to the Beach town on the Right.

In the Beach town there is a cave entrance that you can only get to once you've gotten Surf later in the game, and inside that cave there are gonna be puzzles. When you complete them you'll be able to go out of the other two cave openings in the city, to get hidden items right outside.

Then there's obviously a lot of other stuff that are just kinda there, that I'll come up with a purpose for eventually. There's gonna be a massive cave system under the mountain range, which will at some point come out above the mountain in the clearing you can see at the top right of the map. There's also gonna be hidden things if you go up the waterfall from Route 1.

I get that it's a big map to be submitting and there's a lot going on, I just wanna make sure I'm on the right track before I start doing the cool stuff I have planned :)

Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Mar 25, 2024
I like the tiles themselves, but the colors feel off. The greens are way different from one another, making them seem less natural.

Tiny nitpick with the short grass tiles: I can tell they're based off the FRLG tiles, and in FRLG there are like 5 different basic grass tiles. imo It's really important to mix around the different grass tiles so those areas full of short grass don't look so uniform.

I'm new to mapping though, so take all that with a grain of salt :P

--------------------------

Anyway, here's my map that I did today:

Spoiler:

Imgur Link: http://i.imgur.com/DXszxuV.png

This isn't just one route/area, it's just all of my Region that I've done thus far. You start in the bottom left city, then you go into the Professor's Pokemon Sanctuary immediately to the right of that city, where you catch your first Pokemon Safari-Zone style. Then you talk to the professor inside of the cave in the center of that sanctuary about storyline fossil stuff, then you get to go on your real adventure North of the town, Route 1. All of the caves entrances on this route are blocked off at this point. You then proceed to the Beach town on the Right.

In the Beach town there is a cave entrance that you can only get to once you've gotten Surf later in the game, and inside that cave there are gonna be puzzles. When you complete them you'll be able to go out of the other two cave openings in the city, to get hidden items right outside.

Then there's obviously a lot of other stuff that are just kinda there, that I'll come up with a purpose for eventually. There's gonna be a massive cave system under the mountain range, which will at some point come out above the mountain in the clearing you can see at the top right of the map. There's also gonna be hidden things if you go up the waterfall from Route 1.

I get that it's a big map to be submitting and there's a lot going on, I just wanna make sure I'm on the right track before I start doing the cool stuff I have planned :)

looks like a pretty nice layout at first glance. I like a lot of things I'm seeing here, like:

a) the sand path placement, very curvy and natural looking without being overly and needlessly twisty
b) grass placement, you force the player to go through it on the going but on the return trip there's the ledges. That's GameFreak etiquette for early routes
c) the cave entrance across the gym pond. I really hope that entrance plays a key role in solving some of the puzzles in the caves, since it's well hidden and not visible unless you surf across the pond
d) some unique blocks that I haven't seen made before with nintendo tiles, like the very slight curve on the path near the big house on the hill of the starting town, or the tree that is covered a bit by the ground wall in the second town, and the double-colored mountain. Those are sweet touches
e) overall, your attention to detail. The tree shades were placed correctly, and the tile of the top edge between the river and the grass was placed 100% correctly

and a few things that tipped me off:

a) the first thing I noticed is that you haven't always considered the borders of the map. The player can see 7 blocks left/right (not 6 like I stated in one of my previous posts), which would result in border errors near the left fence just as you're leaving the home town - if there is no connection to the left side of the home town map, the player will be able to see the ground walls crash into your border (which I assume is trees). Same thing will happen if you stand in front of the door of the big house at the foot of the home town's hill. Same thing will happen with the ground walls of the mountain just north of the first town.

Is there a connection to the south side of the home town map? Because if the player stands on the flowers next to the water at the opposite side of the door to the laboratory, he can see the border if there is no connection (since the player can see 5 blocks up/down iirc, and you only have 4 blocks of water there)

If you're not sure what I'm talking about, try playing through the game and going to the spots I mentioned

Have you considered what maps connect to the maps you're showing in the water section? As it stands now, if you surf on the water on the east side of the map, you can go right, up and down, since no rocks block your way in the water. That's quite a lot of connections, and a lot of maps - if you haven't thought about those, you should, and if you have, you're one step ahead of me!

In any case, watch out for your borders. They're important.

b) the rocks in the middle of the river that leads to the starting town block the entire river - it would be nicer to be able to surf down the river into your hometown imo without them blocking your way. They don't seem to serve a purpose there
c) lack of free space for plain grass, although I think that's a subjective thing since I didn't prefer to leave much free space when I started mapping either

nitpicks:
a) from the way you've placed the maps, the player can see a bit of route 1's grass from where I assume is the safari-like area, since the grass on the first route is the fifth tile away from the player, and thus visible. I'd prefer to imagine there's forest above me if I was in that spot
b) on the left side of the fence just as you're leaving the home town you can see grass patches that are always inaccessible as they're behind the fence (this also happens a bit later on near the tree to your left side as well). Since grass patches are meant to be walked on, if you wanted to go full nintendo mapping style don't put any of them out of the player's reach and just use another tile to illustrate what you wanted to put there

have you thought of using tiles that aren't nintendo's? your mapping may improve

showing off my map now:
Spoiler:

Credits: Kyledove, WesleyFG, Alistair, Zein, Zeikku, Zeo, EVoLiNa, Phyromatical, Dewitty, Magiscarf, PeekyChew (I think that's all, hopefully I didn't forget anyone)

Map Name: Pinleaf Town
Hack: ???
Notes: I designed this to be a blend of route + town. You can both find trainers (who will ask you y/no if you want to battle) and wild Pokemon in the tall green grass (and corn if you have surf). A script for the player to jump across the rocks in the river is in the works. Also added some Golden Sun-esque puzzle in the southern part of the town where you can climb up a vine, jump from roof to roof, walk on a rope like an acrobat and then do some more jumping before you land on the big green field where you can probably find a cool reward like an item or a specific Pokemon event.

* The big green field is blocked from the bridge at the top side by a truck, which is an overworld sprite (and not visible upon this map picture)
* You can walk "out of bounds" with surf in the north part of the river; the map has a connection to the upper-right side into another map of the countryside so everything is fine.
* I hacked emerald for this - its massive secondary tileset/blockset space allowed me to insert a bunch of cool tiles like the houses, all the farm-like tiles and the giant trees - couldn't have done all of this in FR

Last edited:

Dyskinesia

Second-rate hack
Years
  • Age 25
  • Ohio
  • Seen May 12, 2019
In general, the reason my borders seem weird at points is because I plan on making every map seamless with one another, so this my map is only going to be getting bigger and bigger in every direction. ty for pointing that out though, I'll keep it in mind once I get to the very ends of my region. I made a few changes based on what you said, once I get a bit more done I'll post an update.

Anyway, on your map:

looks like a pretty nice layout at first glance. I like a lot of things I'm seeing here, like:

a) the sand path placement, very curvy and natural looking without being overly and needlessly twisty
b) grass placement, you force the player to go through it on the going but on the return trip there's the ledges. That's GameFreak etiquette for early routes
c) the cave entrance across the gym pond. I really hope that entrance plays a key role in solving some of the puzzles in the caves, since it's well hidden and not visible unless you surf across the pond
d) some unique blocks that I haven't seen made before with nintendo tiles, like the very slight curve on the path near the big house on the hill of the starting town, or the tree that is covered a bit by the ground wall in the second town, and the double-colored mountain. Those are sweet touches
e) overall, your attention to detail. The tree shades were placed correctly, and the tile of the top edge between the river and the grass was placed 100% correctly

and a few things that tipped me off:

a) the first thing I noticed is that you haven't always considered the borders of the map. The player can see 7 blocks left/right (not 6 like I stated in one of my previous posts), which would result in border errors near the left fence just as you're leaving the home town - if there is no connection to the left side of the home town map, the player will be able to see the ground walls crash into your border (which I assume is trees). Same thing will happen if you stand in front of the door of the big house at the foot of the home town's hill. Same thing will happen with the ground walls of the mountain just north of the first town.

Is there a connection to the south side of the home town map? Because if the player stands on the flowers next to the water at the opposite side of the door to the laboratory, he can see the border if there is no connection (since the player can see 5 blocks up/down iirc, and you only have 4 blocks of water there)

If you're not sure what I'm talking about, try playing through the game and going to the spots I mentioned

Have you considered what maps connect to the maps you're showing in the water section? As it stands now, if you surf on the water on the east side of the map, you can go right, up and down, since no rocks block your way in the water. That's quite a lot of connections, and a lot of maps - if you haven't thought about those, you should, and if you have, you're one step ahead of me!

In any case, watch out for your borders. They're important.

b) the rocks in the middle of the river that leads to the starting town block the entire river - it would be nicer to be able to surf down the river into your hometown imo without them blocking your way. They don't seem to serve a purpose there
c) lack of free space for plain grass, although I think that's a subjective thing since I didn't prefer to leave much free space when I started mapping either

nitpicks:
a) from the way you've placed the maps, the player can see a bit of route 1's grass from where I assume is the safari-like area, since the grass on the first route is the fifth tile away from the player, and thus visible. I'd prefer to imagine there's forest above me if I was in that spot
b) on the left side of the fence just as you're leaving the home town you can see grass patches that are always inaccessible as they're behind the fence (this also happens a bit later on near the tree to your left side as well). Since grass patches are meant to be walked on, if you wanted to go full nintendo mapping style don't put any of them out of the player's reach and just use another tile to illustrate what you wanted to put there

have you thought of using tiles that aren't nintendo's? your mapping may improve

showing off my map now:
Spoiler:

Credits: Kyledove, WesleyFG, Alistair, Zein, Zeikku, Zeo, EVoLiNa, Phyromatical, Dewitty, Magiscarf, PeekyChew (I think that's all, hopefully I didn't forget anyone)

Map Name: Pinleaf Town
Hack: ???
Notes: I designed this to be a blend of route + town. You can both find trainers (who will ask you y/no if you want to battle) and wild Pokemon in the tall green grass (and corn if you have surf). A script for the player to jump across the rocks in the river is in the works. Also added some Golden Sun-esque puzzle in the southern part of the town where you can climb up a vine, jump from roof to roof, walk on a rope like an acrobat and then do some more jumping before you land on the big green field where you can probably find a cool reward like an item or a specific Pokemon event.

* The big green field is blocked from the bridge at the top side by a truck, which is an overworld sprite (and not visible upon this map picture)
* You can walk "out of bounds" with surf in the north part of the river; the map has a connection to the upper-right side into another map of the countryside so everything is fine.
* I hacked emerald for this - its massive secondary tileset/blockset space allowed me to insert a bunch of cool tiles like the houses, all the farm-like tiles and the giant trees - couldn't have done all of this in FR

I really really like your tileset, except for a few small things. The corners for the dirt patches feel a bit too unnaturally round imo. The benches feela bit weird because it looks flat ish, maybe try to make the back of the bench shorter or the base color a bit darker? (I see that the planks are more clearly divided on the top section, but it just looks like more contrast rather than giving an illusion of depth imo). Last thing is the fallen log that's beeing overgrown my plants near the bottom middle of the map, the topmost tile there shows the stump on top but that doesn't really make sense from the overworld perspective compared to the same tile that's being shown on a stump just below it that's upright rather than on the ground.

Another issue that's kinda a cross between a tileset issue and a map issue is a few tiles near the bottom of the map. The sign next to the bottom left house amd the streetlamps on the way out the bottom right feel like they stick out a bit much. The rest of everything in the whole town is made of wood, then these things are made ouit of metal/plastic, just feels a little weird. I don't know what you have off on that route leaving though, so maybe it'd fit from that perspective.

The map itself is super cool. I really like the idea of making it look like the farms are going off further than your player can see. It's super well designed and I think it'd be super cool to go to this town when playing the game.

All of this is just me nitpicking hella though haha, it's a seriously really pretty map :)

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Sep 22, 2022
I like this alot, but, my only bug bare is the bottom half is too simplistic, and bare, compared to the upper half.
I like the layout to your route, it looks really nice but the difference in greens (mostly in the wild grass) is a turnoff.

Not sure how everybody gets the nice pretty screenshot D:
But here's my route 1
Made with RPGMakerXP
Spoiler:

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Apr 16, 2020
I like the layout to your route, it looks really nice but the difference in greens (mostly in the wild grass) is a turnoff.

But here's my route 1
Made with RPGMakerXP
Spoiler:

I like the layout but the map looks too cramped, and I'm not a fan of two block wide paths, especially that long one on the right side of the map, it's too plain.

Also, the pond looks like it's just there so that there's a bridge. I think making it bigger or adding more ponds, or just removing it, would be better. The graves are a nice touch so make that the highlight of the map; maybe make it a proper graveyard or add a special tree in the middle.

Dyskinesia

Second-rate hack
Years
  • Age 25
  • Ohio
  • Seen May 12, 2019

But here's my route 1
Made with RPGMakerXP
Spoiler:

I like the map overall, but I think you should try to spice up the column on the right side of the map. A straight shot up isn't super interesting for the player to traverse, it doesn't give them anything to look at or do besides hold up. I think 2 tile wide paths can be acceptable as long as you have room to move outside of the designated path, so maybe try to widen out that area and curve it around and stuff? Whatever you think would look best.

Anyway, here's my map:
Spoiler:

I did some photoshop magic to add in the weather effect so you can see it the way the player does in-game. It doesn't look as nice without it :P

Anyway, I was trying to give off a "Fairy Forest" or "Hidden Garden" kinda vibe, as it's the main place in my game to get Fairy-type Pokémon. I know the water and paths and stuff aren't in the same style you'd see in a typical Pokémon game, I was trying some new stuff out. I'm not 100% sold on any of it, I'd like to know what other people think :)

Crystal Noel

RPG Maker VX Ace Scripter
Years
Anyway, here's my map:
Spoiler:

I did some photoshop magic to add in the weather effect so you can see it the way the player does in-game. It doesn't look as nice without it :P

Anyway, I was trying to give off a "Fairy Forest" or "Hidden Garden" kinda vibe, as it's the main place in my game to get Fairy-type Pokémon. I know the water and paths and stuff aren't in the same style you'd see in a typical Pokémon game, I was trying some new stuff out. I'm not 100% sold on any of it, I'd like to know what other people think :)

Overall, I think it looks very good. Some of the bodies of water do look a bit weird, but its nothing major. Other than that, everything looks pretty normal. The fog does give the area some form of mystique to it. Nice touch!

Now on to my map:
Spoiler:

I do see this map as a work in progress. I still feel like parts of the city portion feel empty and the pier still looks kinda off to me. I'm still fairly new to the process of mapping. Does it look passable? Note that it does bleed onto the next route that's why the building at the very top is cut off.

Years
Game: Pokémon lucky fortune (Working Title)
Made with: Advance Map 1.92
Name: leaf wood town
here's a map to my first hack that am working on may have some errors trying to work that out.

Attachments

• leafwood.png
    leafwood.png
    39.3 KB · Views: 71

Derxwna Kapsyla

Derxwna "The Badman" Kapsyla
Years
Game: Pokémon lucky fortune (Working Title)
Made with: Advance Map 1.92
Name: leaf wood town
here's a map to my first hack that am working on may have some errors trying to work that out.

It's quite simple, but it's a good map for starting out purposes! There are, however, quite a bit of tile errors. I'll go into each one below.

Firstly, your pathways:
Spoiler:

A lot of them don't end properly, or connect properly. I'd give them another look, then look at the available tiles in the tileset. If some don't exist, you might need to make some new tiles using AdvanceMap's tile editor. Don't be afraid to fiddle with it to try and make something, but always be sure to make backups just in case!

Another issue is with your trees. While you got a lot of them right, there are a few cases where you mistakenly used the wrong tile, and as a result it doesn't look correct.
82f7pLv.png

Compare the top part of the tree on the right to the top part of the tree on the left. The tree on the left is using the tile you would use when you have a tree that connects further upward. Not to mention, the tree below it is missing the top half of the tree, as seen by the line of trees next to it. This happens quite a bit in your lines, so I'd go over to make sure that all your trees have the correct tiles.

Next up, the fences:
tHcp7jW.png

Simple little thing, you didn't use the straight piece to go across, and instead used the corner piece.

And to close off, houses:
q00WTez.png

On this particular house, you've used the tile where the upper part of the door frame is over one of the windows. Just below that tile, you've used the same one, instead of the tile that defines the bottom part of the house. Off to the corner, you used the wrong tile for bringing it down to the ground (see your other red house for the correct example there). You also forgot to give the door a doorframe (this is missing in all three houses, so I'll just point it out here instead).

YPRDAcw.png

First of all, I love the use of the tiles to make a bit of a different small house, gets a thumbs up from me! However, there is still an issue with it. Aside from the doorframe, the window is cut off abruptly. I would suggest removing it and placing a plain tile wall tile there, or shortening/lengthening the width of the house by one to accommodate the windows properly.

That's about all I can say I believe! Work on polishing those tile errors, and you'll have yourself a pretty simple, yet respectable, map!

Dew 2.0

Pixel artist, professional leo
Years
showing off my map now:

Can't put the link in the quote yet, because I'm not on 5 posts yet, haha.

I like this! I feel like it's really very spaceous, though. I feel like at some spots your screen resolution would have to be quite high to keep the content in the viewport interesting. Maybe tile-wise it would be interesting to experiment with shadows a little?

Dew 2.0

Pixel artist, professional leo
Years
Sorry for double-posting, but now that I've reached my 5 post minimum I can post my own map!

new_project___mill_path_by_iametrine-db93zrf.png

All tiles are made by yours truly. This is supposed to be the "Route 1" of my upcoming project. Mapping-wise I didn't want to go too crazy; just very much in line with something Game Freak would do. The player moves from south to north.

It's been a while since I've mapped, but I'm really curious about what you guys think!

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Aug 13, 2019
Sorry for double-posting, but now that I've reached my 5 post minimum I can post my own map!

new_project___mill_path_by_iametrine-db93zrf.png

All tiles are made by yours truly. This is supposed to be the "Route 1" of my upcoming project. Mapping-wise I didn't want to go too crazy; just very much in line with something Game Freak would do. The player moves from south to north.

It's been a while since I've mapped, but I'm really curious about what you guys think!

Impressive map. I really love how it looks.

Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Mar 25, 2024
hearthton_by_raymondmaverick-dba15xk.png

*Grass and the rare Pokemon in it aren't accessible until you get Cut (there's a thorny vine blocking your way)

I didn't pay much attention in the places of the map where the player can't see in-game (you can only see 5 tiles max up/down, 7 tiles max left/right) as anything beyond that is irrelevant

Credits: TheRedEx, Kyledove, WesleyFG, Alistair, Zein, Zeo, Saurav, EVoLiNa, Phyromatical, Dewitty, Magiscarf, PeekyChew, zetavares852

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Jun 7, 2018
Spoiler:
I like the overall map. The ponds in the middle are kinda looks placed really randomly which does not make much sens imo. But other than that I quite like it. Not a big fan of those tiles but not too bad at all. Also why only 2 houses?

route_1_by_yksnair-dbb2u19.png

Here is my first map after almost 3-4 years. I'm quite happy of how tiles and map turned out. There are some errors mainly when tiles are overlapping so please don't point those out. Hope you like it.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Jul 20, 2021
How should I improve this world map of my going-to-be game?

Well, the map's is in progress but still, I need suggestions on how to improve it (I know I suck in these graphic things).

WQoIUqa.png

Last edited:

Damien.aspiring.fandev

Chapter 16 A New Dawn { ||:^❩ )
Years
Greetings, fan-dev in the making!^^
Your map looks actually good enough for a RSE styled one, although
if I were you I'd try smoothing the borders and maybe adding a coastline.
Of course, whether one may think the result is good or not it depends on
what exactly you're trying to achieve.
Cheers!

Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Jan 16, 2022
Typicaljalepeno, your world map looks big!! That is a good thing, and I also think if you smooth the borders, it would look more realistic and appealing

I am a beginner game developer and would like to post a map for review! Here is a photo of one of my first routes in my game. It's supposed to be a big route, with a emerald battle factory style battleground on the middle left of the route(two dirt squares), and tons of trainers to battle along the route. I would appreciate any feedback, thanks! Excuse any tile errors, I still need to polish up the map at some point once I make more progress on the main part of my game.

Attachments

• map.PNG
    map.PNG
    24.8 KB · Views: 74
Last edited:
Back