• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

"What is this? Is it fake? How much is it worth?" Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
Hi, I have been trying to find out about a card I got years ago. It's a holographic Abra 1st edition from the Rocket series, number 49/82. I got it from a booster pack with a non holo version of the same card. It's been confusing me since I always thought you couldn't get holo versions of common cards apart from some reverse holos I've seen. Can anyone help me identify this card?

Given the set it's from, I'm pretty sure it's a counterfeit.

Is it holo on the entire card in kind of a shard glass way?

Do you have any pictures you can upload as an attachment?

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Apr 13, 2019
Given the set it's from, I'm pretty sure it's a counterfeit.

Is it holo on the entire card in kind of a shard glass way?

Hello, I think I have managed to attach the images correctly. The holo is only on the background of the Pokemon image. I have also attached a photo of the 1st edition non holo of the same card for comparison. They came together in the same pack. Thank you for the response!

Do you have any pictures you can upload as an attachment?

Attachments

• DSC_0405.JPG
    8.2 MB · Views: 8
  • DSC_0401.JPG
    8.1 MB · Views: 10
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Apr 13, 2019

The holo is only on the background of the Pokemon image. I have attached a photo of the 1st edition non holo of the same card for comparison. They came in the same pack together. Thanks for the response!

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Apr 13, 2019
Definitely a counterfeit. Other one potentially is too if they came from the same pack.

Can I ask what indicates that it is counterfeit? So I can know for the rest of my collection. The pack was bought from a trusted retailer around 15 years ago. Nothing seemed different in the packaging from any other packs I've bought

Years
Can I ask what indicates that it is counterfeit? So I can know for the rest of my collection. The pack was bought from a trusted retailer around 15 years ago. Nothing seemed different in the packaging from any other packs I've bought

The star holofoil pattern has never been used on any official Pokemon cards. And one card being counterfeit in a booster pack is usually indicative of other cards in the booster pack likely being counterfeits.

Trusted retailers can get supplied counterfeit product by their distributors as well. And some unscrupulous people can - and probably have in some places in the past - create some counterfeit product and swap it out for legit product that's already on the store shelf if no one is there to stop them, making it look like nothing's gone missing to people who don't know better.

15 years ago was also 2004 and there was a decent amount of counterfeit product in circulation in packs that were made up of cards that some repackers were buying through online marketplaces and then repacking into new but unofficial packs in 2004.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Apr 13, 2019
The star holofoil pattern has never been used on any official Pokemon cards. And one card being counterfeit in a booster pack is usually indicative of other cards in the booster pack likely being counterfeits.

Trusted retailers can get supplied counterfeit product by their distributors as well. And some unscrupulous people can - and probably have in some places in the past - create some counterfeit product and swap it out for legit product that's already on the store shelf if no one is there to stop them, making it look like nothing's gone missing to people who don't know better.

15 years ago was also 2004 and there was a decent amount of counterfeit product in circulation in packs that were made up of cards that some repackers were buying through online marketplaces and then repacking into new but unofficial packs in 2004.

Thanks for your help. I wish I could say I was surprised, but I had a feeling when I couldn't find anything about the card online. I've searched for a few guides on detecting fakes so hopefully they'll be some help for next time. Thanks again!

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Apr 19, 2019
Anyone know the value of pocketmonsters

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 4
Last edited:
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Apr 19, 2019
So I was just going through more and seen this is different any info would be awesome thank you!!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 6
Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Jan 18, 2020
Hello everyone, I have a Japanese Shining Legends (SM3+) Full Art Raichu GX Secret Rare. Now I was wondering: How to tell if a Japanese Shining Legends Card is First Edition as wel???

Karen

Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Jan 18, 2020
Hello, I've been doing some research on the rest of my cards, and I found this Base Set 2 9/130 Magneton holo, which has a strange black spot in the bottom right corner of the set symbol. Is this considered to be a misprint/error card?

3kDumvU

BkvBYIK

S7ffR8g

Attachments

• 20190427_154329.jpg
    20190427_154329.jpg
    294.3 KB · Views: 6
  • 20190427_154458.jpg
    20190427_154458.jpg
    292 KB · Views: 6
  • 20190427_154052.jpg
    20190427_154052.jpg
    260.2 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Jan 12, 2024
Hey there Karen! A picture would be super useful. I believe it is just the rarity symbol of the Magneton you're looking at (should be a small star!), however it might be something else like a minor inking error so it's hard to say without visuals. Also, as for your previous post: Japanese Pokemon cards technically did not have a "1st edition" as we understand it until the E-series. But if it is printed before then and has no visible rarity marking, it was an among the "first early prints". However, in later runs such as Shining Legends, you'll see a little "1st Edition" symbol in the bottom left hand corner of the card.

1stEdition.jpg

English on left / Japanese on right

Hope this helped! :)

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Jan 18, 2020
Hey there Karen! A picture would be super useful. I believe it is just the rarity symbol of the Magneton you're looking at (should be a small star!), however it might be something else like a minor inking error so it's hard to say without visuals. Also, as for your previous post: Japanese Pokemon cards technically did not have a "1st edition" as we understand it until the E-series. But if it is printed before then and has no visible rarity marking, it was an among the "first early prints". However, in later runs such as Shining Legends, you'll see a little "1st Edition" symbol in the bottom left hand corner of the card.

1stEdition.jpg

English on left / Japanese on right

Hope this helped! :)

Hello Fairy,

Thanks for your nice reaction. :smile:

But, about the Magneton: I was actually wondering about the spot underneath the set symbol, not about the rarity symbol.
So, to explain things better, I posted some pictures of the card in my previous message about the Magneton.

And also, thanks so very much for your answer about the First Edition symbols. It was really helpful!

Last edited:
Years
Hello Fairy,

Thanks for your nice reaction. :smile:

But, about the Magneton: I was actually wondering about the spot underneath the set symbol, not about the rarity symbol.
So, to explain things better, I posted some pictures of the card in my previous message about the Magneton.

And also, thanks so very much for your answer about the First Edition symbols. It was really helpful!

Magneton just has a printing defect.

Is this worth anything?

That Blissey is worth only about $0.76 in mint condition. In that condition, probably about $0.40.

Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Jan 18, 2020
Magneton just has a printing defect.

OK Just like I already expected. But I was still a little confused so I didn't mind asking the question. Thank you for your nice reaction :smile:

That Blissey is worth only about $0.76 in mint condition. In that condition, probably about $0.40.

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Jan 12, 2024
What about this one? This one is from a 2014 world chanpionship

Championship cards like that aren't really worth any more than they're non-signed counterparts. For your card, I'd say it's worth about ¢.50.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back