• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Thoughts on the fossil Pokemon

PageEmp

No money puns. They just don’t make cents.
Years
So basically a discussion for ancient mons. Which ones are your favourite? Thoughts on the leaked gen8 fossils? Thoughts on individual lines if you have? Also plan to make a best fossil mon poll in the polls subforum, but I would like to wait for gen8 to come out first.

Years
Tyrantrum is my favorite fossil Pokemon. Too bad it got introduced in the wrong generation. I also like Aerodactyl.

This is what I think of leaked fossil Pokemon.

Spoiler:

Last edited:
Years
feel free to comment on the gen 8 fossil 'mons as much as you'd like in this thread but out of respect for those who haven't seen the leaks yet/want to avoid spoilers, it's preferable that you keep those particular comments in spoilers as Bahamut did. something to keep in mind.

but anyway! i like fossil 'mons, but they've been slipping my mind more and more every generation. i think it's because i haven't really found a pair of fossil 'mons that i've really liked since hoenn, which is a huge bummer. :\ i really liked armaldo and cradily and nothing ever really came close to resonating with me as much as they did. as much as i liked gen 4, bastiodon and rampardos just... didn't click. i didn't like their designs at all. carracosta is ok and while i liked archeops at first, over time it became meh and i didn't feel as strongly about it, anymore.

still waiting for that moment when a generation introduces fossil pokemon that truly wow me but i haven't felt it yet.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 23
  • Seen today
I love Cradily the most. I wish they would get more variety instead of all being Rock types.

Years
I am quite fond of all of the fossil pokemon, I find that they have some of the most interesting and unique designs. However, they are unfortunately overlooked at times.

I wish they would get more variety instead of all being Rock types.

I agree with this. I think if the fossil pokemon would be more useful and perhaps would appeal more if they weren't all rock types. Just because fossils are buried in bedrock does not necessarily mean that fossil pokemon must be rock types themselves.

As for my favourites, I love Amaura and Aurorus! Lileep and Cradilly are lovely as well.

Last edited:
Years
I love Cradily the most. I wish they would get more variety instead of all being Rock types.

I always thought the dual Rock-type action was because they originated as a fossil. There was a game theory or something I think on the internet about the ancient Pokemon's original second-typing (or lack-there-of) being lost (or gained) in the reanimation process. It's a cool gimmick if you think of it like that, I guess.

Like, for example, I could totally see Armaldo (my fav of the fossils) being a Bug/Water type because of the creature it's based on irl.

Years
  • Age 23
  • Seen today
I always thought the dual Rock-type action was because they originated as a fossil. There was a game theory or something I think on the internet about the ancient Pokemon's original second-typing (or lack-there-of) being lost (or gained) in the reanimation process. It's a cool gimmick if you think of it like that, I guess.

Like, for example, I could totally see Armaldo (my fav of the fossils) being a Bug/Water type because of the creature it's based on irl.

While it makes sense that all fossils are rocks, it my opinion breaking away from logic would be better here for the sake of having variety.

TheeWizard

Brad
Years
My favourite fossil pokemon is Armaldo, but I do really like all the fossil pokemon. Although I am not the biggest fan of the new gen 8 ones.

Last edited:
Years
I'm not the hugest fan of any of the fossils, though Rampardos is cool.

Can't help but think if Galar fossils weren't just odd meshes of each other and they had their individual bodies, I'd like the electric dino a whole lot. :<

Cherrim

PSA: Blossom Shower theme is BACK ♥
Years
I love a lot of the fossils!!! Kabutops was one of my best friend's favourites back during gen one, so I have a lot of fondness for it even today. I also had a big Jurassic Park phase when I was in my early teens so the fact that the regenerated fossil Pokémon are basically always a JP reference warms my little heart and endears me to them before they're even revealed.

I think the only ones I was never a huge fan of were the gen 3 ones, but even then they kinda grew on me. I love gen 4, 5, and 6's fossils a LOT.

Gen 8 spoilers below:
Spoiler:

icycatelf

Alex
Years
I really enjoy the fossil Pokémon, particularly those based on marine creatures. I even had my mom make me a Kabuto plush when I was younger. I also really enjoyed digging for fossils in DPPt and really hope they bring that feature back in future games (not just DP remakes).

My favorite fossil Pokémon is Omanyte, but not because those annoying Twitch references. I like it mainly because I remember trading half of my snack one day for a Japanese Omanyte card way back in elementary school and thought the art was adorable, and it was one of the first Pokémon with not-so-obvious origins that I connected to the real world thanks to a book about fossils in the school library. (To this day, I still know people who think it's a snail.)

1168205.jpg

After discovering fossils on my family's property a few years ago, I most wanted to find an ammonite (the spiral-shelled squids that inspired Omanyte). Things weren't looking up since I was mainly finding terrestrial plant fossils, but one day I stumbled upon an ammonoid fossil in the creek rubble! A bit small and worn but, hey, real-life Helix Fossil! (Note: This ammonoid is a goniatite, not a true ammonite. It's related though, and some still define it as a small type of ammonite, so close enough for me!)

dqbbPxB.png

I even SR'd a Shiny Omanyte earlier this year. :D

pjVaSQI.jpg

Last edited:

Afi

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Feb 20, 2020
My fave fossil Pokemon is Aerodactyl. Used to own a printed mousepad of it that I got as a birthday gift from a friend. Don't know where it is now though as it was quite a long time ago.

Adam Levine

[color=#ffffff][font="Century Gothic"]I have tried
Years
I used to despise Dracovish with a passion, but somehow that caused it to become one of my favorite fossils, right next to Cradily. The thought of some unauthorized weirdo with a revival machine fusing these fossils together to create something new is intriguing.

Uecil

[img]https://i.ibb.co/4jfYrCT/tHdpHUB.png[/img]
Years
Omanyte is prob my favourite. Never given it too much thought. I do kind of like Cradily too. It's one of the more odder looking Pokémon, imo, but it's got a cool move set.

I really enjoy the new fossil Pokémon for SWSH.

Back