• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Chit-Chat: EVAN PETERS HAVE MY BABIES

Status
Not open for further replies.

marcc5m

what
Years
I think everyone is getting their hopes up too high for this series. Gonna see the movie in a few hours so I'll have a better idea if it's going to hold up. I mean, HP had a really bad first movie, but only the 3rd movie was actually good so I'd be surprised if this first movie isn't that great and somehow the others were good.

100% agree with this. Imo Harry Potter 6 was the worse, because they added so much unnecessary stuff, such as random fires, and they skipped important parts (though that's not to say they never done this with all the films). Funnily enough, the 6th book was my favourite.

Anyway, moving on, I haven't seen or read hunger games. I've heard about it though...seems pretty interesting.
I think this is my first ever post in this section.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Apr 13, 2024
Agreeing that Harry Potter 6 was one of the worst. Although visually, I think it was stunning. Chamber of Secrets was terrible, and Sorcerer's Stone wasn't that great either. Though, for it's time, I suppose it was alright.

Oryx

CoquettishCat
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jan 30, 2015
I read it and I saw a cam recording of the movie. Its film adaptation is much better than most of the Harry Potters (PoA, OotP, and DHpt1 being superior) and all of the Twilights (naturally), but fails in comparison to the book (like many adaptations). It's hard to tell what's really going on with Katiness throughout the movie if you haven't read the books. I feel they left out three major important plot points. Personally, I feel if you watch the film before reading the book, you're doing yourself a great injustice.

I heard this from a friend who watched the movie with her own friends. She had never read the book and because the plot points were all fresh to her she felt like the movie moved really fast. I didn't see it because all the hype just makes me want to scream but that's what they said lol.

But to be fair I had another friend who had never read the book, saw the movie, and found it absolutely amazing.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Apr 13, 2024
I thought the movie went at an even pace... until near the end, when it felt extreeeeemely rushed and everything moved way too fast. Important parts weren't included that I found to be important then - and, more importantly, moving into Catching Fire. They also changed too many things in those final ten or so minutes that I'm not happy with!

Weeaboo Name

Banned
Years
Planning to watch more than ever.

Sakamichi no Apollon - Shinichiro Watanabe + Yoko Kanno + Jazz = best anime of the year
Medaka Box - Nisio Isin + Shounen Jump + Gainax
Tsuritama - Kenji Nakamura + Aliens + Sugita Tomokazu
Mysterious Girlfriend X - Gives off the same vibe as Sundome which I love
Hyouka - KyoAni is all I needed to know.
Kimi to Boku 2 - Liked the first series.
Zetman, Sankarea, OtomoexAmnesia - MAL friends say they're worth watching.
Ozuma, F/Z - Will watch when they're complete

I'll also try try to replace Nichibros and Gintama with some airing comedy. Doubt anything will live up to those two though.

Shining Raichu

Expect me like you expect Jesus.
Years
I actually thought the sixth movie was among the best... until the last half hour. I loved what they did with it, they added in a lot of humour and I really enjoyed watching the film. But then they borked the ending so badly I wanted to cry. Or actually more to the point, I didn't want to cry - and that was the problem.

But there were no bad Harry Potter films.

And Cat Dog, I was afraid you'd do that :(

Her

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen yesterday
I like how Harry Potter has brought the most activity to this thread has had in a while...
I don't really have much of a opinion about the HP films, despite seeing all of them numerous times. I just enjoyed all of them and didn't really focus on how true to the book the film was or camera shots or whatever, I just had fun, y'know?

Years
I thought the movie went at an even pace... until near the end, when it felt extreeeeemely rushed and everything moved way too fast. Important parts weren't included that I found to be important then - and, more importantly, moving into Catching Fire. They also changed too many things in those final ten or so minutes that I'm not happy with!
I agree. I liked that they didn't skip over the beginning of the book, but I was disappointed that some of the most important things (to me) from the last portion of the book were either glossed over really quickly or not even included. That's part of why I think the movie version doesn't have as strong a message as the book. They made the movie to "audience friendly" since they wanted to have it PG-13.

Kano Shuuya

→ you're here, aren't you?
Years
This is why I'm going to see the movie, before I bother with the books.. xD; I don't want to be judging it the entire time I watch it.

Shining Raichu

Years
You are on an American vacation, why are you online long enough to search out articles about book-to-film adaptations? :P

Years
I found a nice lil' discussion piece on what makes a good book-to-film adaptation. Since it starts off dealing with The Hunger Games, I haven't read it as of yet (going to see it on Thursday), but hopefully people will enjoy reading it.
That's a nice discussion and if I wasn't all wonky with flu symptoms I'd be able to say more about it, but I will say I do think an adaptation that tries to stick completely to the original story point by point will come off as brief and thin. I'd rather see the 'spirit' of the story come through even if some of the particulars aren't the same.

Shining Raichu

Years
I think there needs to be a happy medium there, because I've seen some movies that were meant to be adaptations of books but then they changed key plot elements that kind of destroyed the entire story. For instance, My Sister's Keeper, which I went to see for the specific purpose of discovering whether Cameron Diaz can act (sometimes she can! Who knew?).

In case you're unfamiliar with the story, the basic premise is that a little girl who was born for the specific purpose of being harvested for organs for her older sister who has cancer sues her parents for the rights to her own body.

I hadn't read the book, so I didn't know this until somebody explained it to me afterward, but apparently they changed the entire ending. While in the movie

Spoiler:

in the book

Spoiler:

Personally, I think the ending to the book is far superior and carries a twist I certainly wasn't expecting; but that's not really the point. The very fact that they took the premise of the book and then entirely changed the final outcome makes it not a great adaptation at all in my opinion.

TRIFORCE89

Guide of Darkness
Years
I don't think adaptations have to remain totally faithful to the book. They should just... maintain the spirit of it, I guess. Not sure where that would place My Sister's Keeper.

I love Jurassic Park the book. The movie skips a lot of stuff. The ending is totally different. It's not so much of a cautionary tale. But... it is a damn good popcorn flick. I like it. It's fun. I'd love a serious adaptation truer to the book as well, but it doesn't make the A+ B-movie version bad.

Shining Raichu

Years
I'm all for leaving parts out and adding other parts in to make it film-friendly, but changing the plot or the essence of the plot is not OK with me

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Apr 13, 2024
I agree. I liked that they didn't skip over the beginning of the book, but I was disappointed that some of the most important things (to me) from the last portion of the book were either glossed over really quickly or not even included. That's part of why I think the movie version doesn't have as strong a message as the book. They made the movie to "audience friendly" since they wanted to have it PG-13.
The fact that they made it PG-13 is a huge part of the problem I have with it. It's a movie about gathering children to kill each other for simply entertainment (rebellions years ahead of the main characters' times aside). One of the most criticized things about the movie was the shaky camera, but the only reason they did that was so to secure a PG-13 rating, probably simply because they could gain the under-17 crowd for money. But even in the two or three scenes they didn't use a shaky camera but killed someone were very disappointing for me.

This is exactly why I'm glad I saw the movie before reading the book.
As disappointed I am with it (which isn't much; as a Harry Potter fan, I'm used to things not coming out the way they should have - and The Hunger Games did it better than Harry Potter in terms of keeping true to the book), I think whoever didn't read the books before seeing it is doing themselves somewhat of an injustice. Mainly because an overwhelming majority of the book is focused on the thoughts of Katniss, and a problem with the movie is that you can't see those thoughts.

Kano Shuuya

→ you're here, aren't you?
Years
Have any of you not dropped Guilty Crown? this show is hilarious.
Spoiler:
And I thought High School Boys was the best comedy of the season.

I really looked forward to that series, and I love it's music, and ohmygod. Whenever I watch it, or try to watch it, I end up pausing mid-episode to go do something else. I gave up. xD;

& Lawrence, if I can remember them all, there's 4 or 5 that I'm gonna watch on that line up, and that's me narrowing it down to what I might have time for. > >

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back